User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 12:09 AM   #1
______ OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Well, that was stupid of me.

Leaving work last Friday I come to the end of the steep driveway. Combined with the crown of the road there is almost a Vee shape to transition from driveway to road. I look left, then right and briefly left again. Out of the corner of my eye I catch motion on my left, so I stop. As I put my feet down I notice that my front tire is on the road and back tire is still on the driveway. This leaves an extra three inches between the ground and my feet. The FJR starts a slow tip to the left, and once that pig starts falling there's not much to do but get clear.

I managed to land on my feet, and only scraped the left side bag a little. I also managed to get it back up and haul ass out of there before any coworkers saw my misstep.

The movement on the left that caused me to stop was a car turning left from the adjacent driveway and was no danger to me at all.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
Raabe
CAW CAW!!!

Oddometer: 53
Shit happens.

If the metal steeds decide to lay down, then they will do and only the few with light machines and lots of muscles might stop them from taking a nap.

Similar happened here too last week, wife sitting on back, attempting reeeeally slow and careful 160degree turn, loosing balance, out of brainfailure biting the front brakes (on gravel of course) and the steed was deciding to be tired and that it needs a nap right now.

Luckily my TA has good crashbars so nothing happened at all.

But aside of that i do not think such a topic is related to "faceplant", shame on me if i am wrong!

br Raabe
Raabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
PETDOC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,212
Been there, done that, got the tee shirt!
Old 08-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
Ayrshire Bull
why the hell not?

Oddometer: 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by ______ View Post
Leaving work last Friday I come to the end of the steep driveway. Combined with the crown of the road there is almost a Vee shape to transition from driveway to road. I look left, then right and briefly left again. Out of the corner of my eye I catch motion on my left, so I stop. As I put my feet down I notice that my front tire is on the road and back tire is still on the driveway. This leaves an extra three inches between the ground and my feet. The FJR starts a slow tip to the left, and once that pig starts falling there's not much to do but get clear.

I managed to land on my feet, and only scraped the left side bag a little. I also managed to get it back up and haul ass out of there before any coworkers saw my misstep.

The movement on the left that caused me to stop was a car turning left from the adjacent driveway and was no danger to me at all.
you're not alone the feej is indeed a big heavy thing, once it's decided it's nap time
Old 08-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 574
Snagged a bootlace in the shifter lever years ago on a gs 550. Long slow fall. Got my boot unhooked on the way down and caught it and lowered it the last foot.

Got it back it back up and flooded.

How embarrassing. Right in front of a cop.

81 XT/TT 500 83 BMW R80S (RT with S bits)
00 ZRX 1100 XR 100 XR 20
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,152
Quote:

Maybe this time but you better win a little scratch on your bike than some titanium rods or worst.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
______ OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Maybe this time but you better win a little scratch on your bike than some titanium rods or worst.
So true.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #8
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,342
At least you didn't do something silly like try and stop it.

Several inmates have been laid up tearing things loose doing just that.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #9
alii1959
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
There is a reason for Road King crash bars....

Today was the first day of classes for students. And, as a teacher, I was dying to get away for my relaxing ride home. So, after a summer of doing things a particular way.... I forgot that I had put the disk lock on and I ignored the reminder cable on the brake lever. Made it about a foot and did a cartoon stop and slowly clanked over onto the right side. What an idiot I are. Fortunately, no one was around to fall down laughing.... I wasn't mad, just greatly embarrassed to be in my skin. Geez.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
Robus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Stop before you get to the end of the driveway. Put your feet down. Look both ways. Proceed.
Robus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #11
Wingfixer
Watch this...

Oddometer: 3,567
Been there, done that! There is even a club for it! Read my sig line, CDA stands for Connie Droppers Anonymous!
Old 08-29-2013, 12:52 AM   #12
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 515
I won't say I've ever done this... if you don't ask how my right case and mirror got scratched. Put the frame protectors that had been sitting in my toolbox for months on that evening.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:47 AM   #13
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,184
Quote:

Well, don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I did the same thing on my GS in my own driveway, the engine was cold and the fuel injection hiccupped when I rolled off the throttle quickly when I saw a car coming down the road and BOINK, down I went. The car driver (a Harley rider of course ) helped me pick the Big Pig up; no damage thanks to crash bars. I finished a long ride on my RT one day and pulled into my driveway very tired, thought I'd get off and go straight to the center stand without that time-consuming side stand thing, and promptly dropped the bike to the right. Adrenaline and shame kicked in, so I ran around to the other side, hoisted the fully-loaded hog and promptly dropped it on the left side because I forgot to put the kickstand down first. Gently picked it up and got it on the side stand after taking some deep breaths. No damage because I had a big duffle bag strapped on and it cushioned things, but my neighbor watched the whole spastic episode from 20 feet away.

I have since paid more attention to this stuff, but I'm pretty sure I'll drop the bike again. It can happen so fast. Like you said, sometimes you just have to get out of it's way 'cuz you can't stop it.

Doug
Old 08-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #14
lineareagle
philomath

Oddometer: 502
Probably one of the hardest things to be consistent on is STOPPING at every unmarked intersection and taking the time to look. So easy to snap a look back and forth and then proceed.
Do this enough and eventually you will end up a hood ornament or cranking to a stop and dropping the bike.
As others have said BTDT!

'06 1200 GS Adv - non A
lineareagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #15
Ayrshire Bull
why the hell not?

Oddometer: 2,386
Probably one of the hardest things to be consistent on is STOPPING at every unmarked intersection and taking the time to look. So easy to snap a look back and forth and then proceed.

yup - I agree with Lineareagle on this one - I make a point of a solid foot touch down stop, every time. Combine this with 45-ing the corner, and your take off is smooth and safe.