User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2002, 10:03 AM   #1
eap OP
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,221
First Aid Kits

:uriel scuse me, is this the safety forum?
Why yes, it is the Safety Forum, we just don't call it that.
It is? Well then I have a qwestion, it's kinda related to safety. Kin I ask a qwestion?
Why yes you may ask any question - as long as it is Safety Related or otherwise.

WHO CARRIES A FIRST AID KIT AND WHAT'S IN IT!

Thank you. :uriel
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 10:15 AM   #2
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,548
I'll Start

I do Contents:

5 creavats (triangular cloth bandages used from slinging to applying dressings to wounds)

10 4" gauze pads

10 2" gauze pads

Abdominal dressing

Set of oral airways

pocket mask (also carry a microshield)

misc. bandaids of various sizes

stiff wire mesh for splinting

flashlight

butterfly bandages

4" cling wrap

2" cling wrap

Antispetic wipes

20' lenght of 1" nylon webbing (just good to have in case of extrications)

Latex gloves

Heavy duty scissors

Pen/paper

roll of 2" tape

Roll of 1" tape

Severall other things I have deemed useful over the years, but I cannot remember what they are now. I keep evertything in a Zip Lock bag that is always with me when I ride.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 10:15 AM   #3
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
Ah so. Good question sire.

I too would like to know of good kits. I saw RW has some. any others? Any specific to offroad riding? SUpplements?
Old 07-29-2002, 10:19 AM   #4
Chopperman
I am dead

And all that junk is just junk if you don't know how to use it. Or is it better to have it incase someone else knows how to use it.

Seems the best one would be one that has all that good stuff in a case that is made for the bike. one that disappears on the bike and you forget about it til it is needed.

The goose has a nice set of toolboxes one will take a med kit real easy. The VTR has space in the tailsection (query: likelihood of the kit getting launched/damaged in a wreck?) but the DR is seriously lacking in a spot for a case.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:20 AM   #5
Scary Mc
hellgrammite

Oddometer: 3,709
I generally do. I've never used it on myself. I have used it on several HD and Honda riders that saw fit to leave the house wearing t-shirts and flip-flops. Kinda pisses me off 'cause they never offer any money for all the expensive shit I use on them!!!

I use the kits from Adventure Medical Kits . I carry the Fundamentals kit in my saddlebags. The site lists the extensive contents.

Yes, I know how to use it. I took an EMT course two years ago and had to drop it two weeks before the final... big bummer!

-Scary
It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The windnoise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then.
Scary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 10:22 AM   #6
Chopperman
I am dead

And how about separate kits for each bike? or one that is compact enough for each?

and finally...separate the emergency kit from the comfort kit (aspirin/allergy meds/bangaids for minor cuts)
Old 07-29-2002, 10:25 AM   #7
fish
Banned

Oddometer: 47,709
Is this the safety forum? Okay...I'll try to be nice and keep all humor out of it. Safety is far too serious of a subject to apply humor to it. Wouldn't want any humorless cretinous noobies reporting my posts here, now would we?

Ed, I keep two first aid kits on my bike. One is a Sawyer first aid kit for hunters, which includes everything from bandaids to alcohol wipes, aspirin, antacid and tweezers.

I also carry the BMW first aid kit, which has a lot of gauze, medium sized trauma pads/sponges, and a survival blanket, but none of the medicines or little bandaids of the Sawyer kit...there's no overlap.

I also pack a pair of latex gloves just in case.

HTH.
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 10:26 AM   #8
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,064
We carry a kit from REI that sounds similar to what Steve carries - Adventure Medical Fundamentals First Aid Kit

It has extra room for some special stuff that we have to carry for ourselves and packs up pretty well. So far we haven't had to use it for anything more than simple shit.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 10:34 AM   #9
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Minor Chit

I did not list the stuff for the minor day to day shit. I don;t carry it. If you want it, you need to carry it. The only other thing I carry is motrin for my knees and more recently for the damn teeth!

I have at my disposal all the medical stuff I need. The only thing I thought would be of value in the kits listed above is the blanket for keeping the patient warm. I need to add one of those.

Old 07-29-2002, 10:52 AM   #10
eap OP
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,221
Quote:
Originally posted by fish
Is this the safety forum? Okay...I'll try to be nice and keep all humor out of it. Safety is far too serious of a subject to apply humor to it. Wouldn't want any humorless cretinous noobies reporting my posts here, now would we?
Ed, I keep two first aid kits on my bike. One is a Sawyer first aid kit for hunters, which includes everything from bandaids to alcohol wipes, aspirin, antacid and tweezers.

I also carry the BMW first aid kit, which has a lot of gauze, medium sized trauma pads/sponges, and a survival blanket, but none of the medicines or little bandaids of the Sawyer kit...there's no overlap.

I also pack a pair of latex gloves just in case.

HTH.
Yeah I like this concept of two kits - like Choop mentioned too - two kits, sort of a comfort kit with the sqeeze tube stuff, aspirin maybe even inlcude your Technu for poison ivy and insect repellent....

And the second kit like your BMW kit or Steve's list for the actual Responder Scenario:

So far all I've carried is
a 'space blanket',
a pocket CPR mask like

(~$7) from CPR-Equipment
and a pair of disposalbe latex gloves (which also work for oil changes, tech session wrenching or weather protection).

I'm 40 hour certified as a 1st responder but it scares the shit out of me just thinkin about a life or death scenario....
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 10:55 AM   #11
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Quote:
Originally posted by epfister

Yeah I like this concept of two kits - like Choop mentioned too - two kits, sort of a comfort kit with the sqeeze tube stuff, aspirin maybe even inlcude your Technu for poison ivy and insect repellent....

And the second kit like your BMW kit or Steve's list for the actual Responder Scenario:

So far all I've carried is a
'space blanket',
pocket mask like

from
CPR-Equipment
and a pair of disposalbe latex gloves (which also work for oil changes, tech session wrenching or weather protection).

I keep current on my 40 hour 1st responder certificate but it scares the shit out of me just thinkin about a life or death scenario...
The comfort kit sounds like an excellent idea. I never carry that kind of stuff in my real pack because I never need it. Except for Glucogen, the sugar paste to treat diabetics with. I cannot tell you how many times I have had to clean that sticky crap out of my pack. I have had to use it about three times also. Good to have some kind of sugar available in the event of a seizure.

Old 07-29-2002, 12:59 PM   #12
Chopperman
I am dead

What about making a medical kit "locker" on the bike? I worry about pouches getting lost in a wreck, crushed in packing, etc.
Old 07-29-2002, 01:14 PM   #13
Red Bull
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
Well, you should carry something. I'm a Red Cross Disaster Team Leader and also an EMT. Only a few weeks agao (49r Rally) the well accomplished leader did a head-on with another dirt rider, boken colerboan etc. Another EMT (and BIG DOG rider) was there with his whole (fire rescue) kit. My little kit did not have the soft splint not to mention all the other items I noticed he (allways) carries. It's BIG, (tackel box size) but after this last experiance (and two weeks several other 1st responder to BAD head-on car accidents, ) I'm going to bump-up the contents of the equipment. So I get rid of some unnecessary stuff... and hopefully I will never use it. However, It I suspect I will, and I will most likely be the one needing it! Yikes!

It does not take much for shock to set in and it's a real danger, (right up there with hypothurmia) for any rider taking a tumble. Here in the Bay area, "Doc Wong" teachs both street and dirt riding clinics and has recently added motorcycle first aid. He is a leader in many ways on accident prevention.

I have not read the book, "blood, sweat and Gears" but I hear it's a motorcycle specific first aid book. Has anyone else read it?

John@MyHomeWebSite.com
'97 BMW R1100 GSA "RED BULL" - Sonoma, CA
'Where ever you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Bonzai

Red Bull screwed with this post 07-29-2002 at 01:20 PM
Red Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 01:23 PM   #14
Red Bull
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally posted by Chopperman
What about making a medical kit "locker" on the bike? I worry about pouches getting lost in a wreck, crushed in packing, etc.
I have a strapped a small (very visable) kit right on the rear seat grab rail (when not carring luggage.) Use "flat" (ROK" straps), NEVER comes off! When I carry panniers, the first aid is allways on top. (in a marked case) Also I have a sticker on my helmet with medical info, and details on my med kit. My tank bag also has one of the free "cyclegadget" id med cards too, (never enough when needed.) I'd recommend people look into the whitehorse press helmet Med id and the free med id from www.cyclegadgets.com

John@MyHomeWebSite.com
'97 BMW R1100 GSA "RED BULL" - Sonoma, CA
'Where ever you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Bonzai
Red Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 02:06 PM   #15
Chopperman
I am dead

One thing I have noticed...

most of these first aid kits I have been looking at are either "First response" type kits well over 100 bucks, bulky and have an overabundance of stuff for dealing with burns, but not as much for broken things. On one site it was up to the "portable hospital" before I saw a a multi trauma dressiong (acres of rash kinda deal)

The other option was the smaller kits that seemed to be mostly for finger booboos and splinters. W@hich I would consider for the scondary comfort pack rather than first aid.

And very few had a reflective blanket inthem.

Seems like this isn't a very well addressed area. and it almost seems like you have to buy a good case with a basic kit and add stuff specific to motorcycle trauma.

And a bag strapped on the luggage rack seems to be a make do thang.

So what I envision is a good setup:

First your medicine chest. that has the everyday boo boo stuff. bang aids, aspirin, neosporin, bee sting goo, glucose tabs if your diabetic...all that stuff you keep in the medicine chest at home. but smaller quantity. you use this stuff often and it needs to be pretty handy. able to handle any discomfort not needing immediate professional help. and even then with deal with a cut needing some stiches or a hot header pipe burn.

Second, the trauma kit. this is for the bad stuff. the crash that ends up with you or your buddy wrapped around a tree with broken ribs, a branch through the leg and badly rashed shoulder. Able to keep the biffer alive, warm and could be medevaced or gotten to a hospital. this sucker is stocked, attached to the bike and forgotten about. I was thinkign a form fitting fiberglass case under the seat...but imagine the bike is mashed into a ditch and the bike is resting on the seat and you have a busted wrist? no good. so it can't be too inaccessible. but it can't be in the way of normal use. Maybe a fiber glass box under the rear fender? or a tube (map case like) that goes cross frame that can be opened at either end. (chances are one side or the other will be accessible in any crash)