User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 03:06 AM   #1
Chrisbarnes1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
KTM 640A tank guards-Chris Barnes-- Mk2a

I have been making slow progress on making new moulds--as the old moulds were worn out (I have a new, bigger area, shape)--and the first attempt didn't fit as well as I'd like so I had to start all over again-hence Mk2a. As you all know its a hobby, and its been some considerable time since I made any--but I did promise an update. I Made a bit of a woopsy recently by putting pics on a normal thread rather than in vendors--I have deleted them. There are also a few pics at the European Vendors site post 134. http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=223033&page=9

I need to make a couple of sets and get them out there before I can say that I will be back on track--its been a long road!!
Regards, CB

ps Just added --here's a couple of pics to save you going elsewhere--still need to get a couple of sets trial fitted etc

Chrisbarnes1 screwed with this post 08-08-2013 at 01:32 PM
Chrisbarnes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:51 AM   #2
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,763
Hi Chris,

Nice to see that you are coming back with the protectors...

Having used one set of the Kevlar ones and another kevlar-CF I can say that they perform really nice...
Let me ask something, I would like to check if you still do Kevlar only.

Till later,
D.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:08 AM   #3
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,298
What is the cost?
Old 08-06-2013, 04:57 AM   #4
Chrisbarnes1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

KTM 640A guards Mk 2a

They will be as before which is 95 GBP--but please don't ask for any just yet--small steps--small steps.
thanks for the interest.

CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
What is the cost?
Old 08-06-2013, 05:07 AM   #5
Chrisbarnes1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Out to in its clear gel, 2x carbon, a kevlar/ carbon patch in the bottom corner (which I "hide" from the edge to avoid "feathers" on trimming), 2 x carbon triaxial and then glass--they are designed to be 3 mm thick and squeezed down as I use a full press mould. I could do a carbon/kevlar mixed weave, or even full kevlar (dodgy shade of yellow!)--but edge trimming will never be smooth--its function versus bling!--but personally I hate doing it because of the trimming--you should try it!! I would normally hope that the internal kevlar/carbon patch will help in a big slide--and its normal practice with engine case covers of decent quality.

Regards, and thanks for the interest, CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
Hi Chris,

Nice to see that you are coming back with the protectors...

Having used one set of the Kevlar ones and another kevlar-CF I can say that they perform really nice...
Let me ask something, I would like to check if you still do Kevlar only.

Till later,
D.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
Ol'Muley
old, not dead

Oddometer: 82
Question guards

Hey Chris-- any updates?
Ol'Muley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:06 AM   #7
Chrisbarnes1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tank guards

I'm awaiting reports--3 sets out there.

Regards, Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Muley View Post
Hey Chris-- any updates?
Old 09-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
Chrisbarnes1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Mk 2A First fit

Herewith a couple of pics of one of the first sets.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
Mattithyahu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Looks great! Does this mean they are available now? Been waiting for it! I would like to buy 1 set!
Mattithyahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #10
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattithyahu View Post
Looks great! Does this mean they are available now? Been waiting for it! I would like to buy 1 set!
I would like to buy a set as well.

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:45 AM   #11
Chrisbarnes1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Mk 2a guards

There are about 5 sets out there now and they seem to be pretty much there--there may be comments outside this thread but nothing negative to me apart from a slightly tight fit on the larger guard. I've noted this and now "ease" the inside a bit more (something I was hoping to avoid--extra work on top of quite a process--- but its not too much extra trouble). Getting in touch with "old requesters" (Mk 1 version) is proving pretty tedious as people move on etc, so I'm sort of starting afresh now and will make to order. However, I do have a set just finished so please get in touch at chrisbarnes1@yahoo.com if you are interested--first come first serve if thats ok.

Regards, CB

I hope will eventually get around to making a replacement set for my own bike!!
Old 10-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #12
gjcarving
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Email sent on the new set of guards. Also, does this set have the eased inside for better fit. Sounds like it but just checking. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisbarnes1 View Post
There are about 5 sets out there now and they seem to be pretty much there--there may be comments outside this thread but nothing negative to me apart from a slightly tight fit on the larger guard. I've noted this and now "ease" the inside a bit more (something I was hoping to avoid--extra work on top of quite a process--- but its not too much extra trouble). Getting in touch with "old requesters" (Mk 1 version) is proving pretty tedious as people move on etc, so I'm sort of starting afresh now and will make to order. However, I do have a set just finished so please get in touch at chrisbarnes1@yahoo.com if you are interested--first come first serve if thats ok.

Regards, CB

I hope will eventually get around to making a replacement set for my own bike!!
gjcarving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:41 AM   #13
Mattithyahu
Adventurer

FEEDBACK

Ouverture

So, I got my new Chris Barnes KTM 640 ADV Tank guards!

I personally don't like carbon look on adventure bikes, so I asked to get black ones. Chris agreed to make black tank guards with clear gel, then straight glass with black resin with a kevlar patch underneath.

I think it is just much better for after-season touch up scratches. I'll just sand a little and than paint it with black can-spray.

Anyway, this is what Chris made:

Looks great! It fits to tank guard like a second layer! Really well made.

Intermezzo

Left tank guard has a hole for petcock. The hole is minimal and offset deliberately downwards to maintain strenght. You can reach long leg of the tap.

But, perfectionist as I am, I did not like the offset personally. It just thing it is ugly and looks like a mistake.

A bigger hole would weaken the guard, a center hole would make accessing petcock difficult, so I had to thing off a better solution.

Of course, I did it like a BOSS

I used poliester patch from the inside and outside and plugged the hole completely! A little sanding and the hole was invisible, than I painted the guards with acrilic auto spray paint (it will be even easier to retouch it later, if I scratch the guards).

You wonder what I did with my petcock?

I turned it arround! I took original one and drilled the hole from the other side.

Than I sawed off the cock(?) from something like this:

And tapped it in the hole tight and with some Loctite 648 applied. This is what it looks like now:

Note that the original cock is plugged with some copper piece and Loctite 648 (if I had to use original cock again), and the new cock is temporary plugged with some rubber hose.

Epilogue

That black thing on my tank (picture above) is some black adhesive film, to protect my tank from any rubbing against tank guard, and also for easier tank guard removal, if ever needed.

For fitting I used SIKA Sikasil C neutral silicone, black. It is suppose to be really good one, good adhesive, UV resistant. I put a lot of attention to fitting and now it looks like factory made!

The guards look great! Again, really well made from Chris and a little upgraded (I think) from me.

The other side:

Look at me, shining in my new tank guards!
Accurate silicone work:

Accurate Chris finising:

Conclusion

Chris Barnes Tank guards are definitely TOP product! I would recommend it to anyone, seeking really well made, accurate fitting, nice looking and protective (well, that one I did not test it yet... I don't plan to either) tank guards.

I do suggest to you, Chriss, to offer no-hole guards, if people like what I did.

THE END

Mattithyahu screwed with this post 04-25-2014 at 08:00 AM
Old 04-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #14
Chrisbarnes1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tank guards

Couldn't get the image link to work?--but never mind.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

The LH guard does extend down to cover the petcock, and I know people have blanked this off altogether and spliced into the the cross tank line losing a couple of litres of reserve fuel. I can't change the shape of the guards but can certainly leave the hole uncut which means that you will still have a bit of room for your blanking plate or other arrangement. I'm still making the odd set--but to order only as its always been a hobby in my "spare" time.

Regards, CB
Old 04-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #15
Mattithyahu
Adventurer

You see no pictures at all??