Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #46
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
comes to mind when I see the 2 clip. But on the other hand they have some skill to pull it off.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #47
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,094

remarkably effective horn
Old 08-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #48
Blimey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Any link to the video?

Sent from somewhere.
Blimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:17 AM   #49
air-cooled
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
vid is from Brazil, i don't know the guy.
air-cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:51 AM   #50
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstPath View Post
I suspect this guy thought he was a hot shot and wanted to zip between the trucks. He slows but I think he never planned on stopping. Once the gap was smaller than he suspected, his butt puckered and down he went.

Stupid riding will get you killed.
I agree.

I think that he thought he would slow down and still filter through at a fair lick and then realised all too late that it wasn't wide enough to go through that quickly (for his abilities), so changed his plan to "come to a complete stop", but didn't have enough space left to scrub the speed off. So he locked the back up and was going sidewards, which made the "filtering at speed" part harder still.

To avoid this scenario, when braking from high speeds on the motorway to commence filtering, I always plan to come to a complete stop and then start filtering. Even if in reality, I will simply choose to continue riding the last 20M or so at 20mph, rather than stopping and then starting again. At least that way, I know that I can stop if I need to, for example, if the gap closes up before I get there.

Still, I am glad he wasn't hurt, is man enough to admit he was being an idiot and only mildly inconvenienced some professional drivers, rather than hurt someone else through his idiocy.

EDIT:
Actually, I'm not so sure I'm glad he wasn't hurt. Having watched this one on his channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNkFcES7asE, it's pretty apparent that he isn't a very good rider. I won't say I've not "put my sidestand down" to engage in an altercation with a user of another vehicle driver, but fuck me, you have to be more selective about when you do it than that if you want to survive. That driver's transgression was way too minor to get het up about. If this guy rode in London regularly, he'd get one of these most days. Yes, the people doing this are annoying dangerous pricks that you can do little about. Hoping off the bike to engage in fisticuffs regularly, however, only serves to further skew the odds closer towards your getting injured. I've kept my cool when a 4x4 drove (at 2mph, because he was a spastic without clutch control or attention) into my pannnier when I was stationary and laughed it off. If you get off the bike, you have to be upset enough to be prepared to have a 'proper' fight about it, that may result in someone winding up in hospital or worse. Regardless of whether you're "in the right", if you do this often enough, sooner or later you'll encounter a proper hardcase who will fight back (perhaps even wrongly believing that they are in the right and are as full of righteous zeal as you are) and they will give you a pasting.

Correct response is wait till the lights go amber, then panel their car with your boot and then blat off between the lights before they realise what has happened. ;)

Ceri JC screwed with this post 08-14-2013 at 06:06 AM
Ceri JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #51
some kid
on a motorbike

Oddometer: 182

Old 08-17-2013, 01:26 AM   #52
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
First I thought he said "fits, fits, fits" - would have explained why he didn't brake.