Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
m_p_w OP
Unfunempolyed

Oddometer: 35
Thumb New to (living in) Mexico City - moto needed

Hi all,

Just moved to DF from NYC and wanted to reach out to any ADVers in the city (or anyone traveling through, for that matter).

By way of introduction, I've been voluntarily funemployed for the past year, six months and nearly 20,000 miles of which were spent on my GSA between NYC and the northern edge of the Darien Gap. No ride report (poor form, I know), but it was a hell of a trip:

Prior to that small excursion, I was an investment banker for several years in New York and London. Largely inspired by experiences in Mexico and Central America, I made a fairly significant career redirection and now find myself consulting for a Mexico City-based microfinance bank.

My wife is originally from DF and I've spent a bit of time here, so I know the city reasonably well. However, in an effort to keep my sanity in a place where I don't really speak the language and to hopefully find some folks to ride with, I thought it wise to reach out the ADV crew.

Sadly, four motos in storage in New York ('12 GSA, '11 WR250R, '05 ZX-6R, and a '00 Super Sherpa) aren't doing me a bit of good here. This is a situation I intend to rectify quickly and was hoping for recommendations from the group on the right bike for DF. I'm not sure how long we're here, so I'm thinking something used and relatively inexpensive, say around $5,000. I don't know what the market is like here, so it would be great to hear any and all suggestions. If people know of motos for sale, that would be awesome too.

Feel free to reach out, I'm looking forward to meeting folks.

All the best,

Matt
m_p_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
pax maac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Hey,

You can start looking for bikes here http://motos.mercadolibre.com.mx/#D[H:true] It's like the mexican ebay. Asking prices are usually way high, but they expect you to haggle. I've bought a couple of bikes off there. Also check out segundamano.com.mx

And, welcome
pax maac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
El Stigo
Hey Ese its EL STIGO

Oddometer: 317
Bike selection

Do a temporary import on your preferred bike and ride the hell out of it.

If you are in Mexico City I see NO REASON to limit yourself to the city since we have such a large playground literally 1-2 hours in any direction 360º.

I ride my GSA (12) in the city all the time and it is my preferred method of transport. I own 4 bikes at the moment from a 650 to the 1200. Sits high, great protection and no one fucks with anyone I know on a GSA.

Total cost to bring it down? Shipping to Laredo or your preferred port of entry, temp fee of $400 (refundable) and the processing fee of $45.

If you are a US citizen all can be done on the internet.

Seems much better than having them sitting in the dark till who knows!

My thoughts.

I see there are a few of you now in the City so lets figure a meeting point and date and have a few beers.

Coyoacan plaza is a good spot.

El Stigo
First motorcycle experience. Dads, 40 something HD knucklehead it was 1966 he was 22 and my first recorded photo on a bike taken at 2 yrs. Thanks for raising me on the back of your bikes and teaching me to ride my dirt bike 35 years ago!
El Stigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
m_p_w OP
Unfunempolyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Stigo View Post
Do a temporary import on your preferred bike and ride the hell out of it.

If you are in Mexico City I see NO REASON to limit yourself to the city since we have such a large playground literally 1-2 hours in any direction 360º.

I ride my GSA (12) in the city all the time and it is my preferred method of transport. I own 4 bikes at the moment from a 650 to the 1200. Sits high, great protection and no one fucks with anyone I know on a GSA.

Total cost to bring it down? Shipping to Laredo or your preferred port of entry, temp fee of $400 (refundable) and the processing fee of $45.

If you are a US citizen all can be done on the internet.

Seems much better than having them sitting in the dark till who knows!

My thoughts.
Believe me, I've considered it and I would love to have one of my motos here; I'm not thrilled that they're sitting in the dark for months.

Several issues however. I've driven between NYC and DF three times in the last 8 months (twice on my GSA and once in my wife's Fiat 500, guess which trip I enjoyed least..) and I don't think I could stomach another trip right now. Also, as I've just started a new job so taking a week to fly home and bring one of the bikes down (it probably would be the GSA) isn't doable. Shipping to TX unfortunately won't work as the bikes aren't all that easy to get out of storage and I'd want to be there if that were to happen, so if I were to go that route, I might as well ride it down myself.

Also, said Fiat is currently temporarily imported and the thought of having to drive DF-Laredo-DF twice every six months is less than awesome.

I've ridden my GSA a lot in DF and, I agree, it is a great bike for the city. I'm looking forward to exploring the surrounding area a lot more. So fare I've done the ride to Oaxaca, a trip to Valle and the ride to Acapulco; can't wait to see more! In fact, it's one of the things that I'm most looking forward in DF to relative to NYC.

I just found out today that Yamaha sells the XT660 Ténéré here, a bike I rode extensively in Namibia and absolutely love. I'm giving serious consideration to expanding my budget to pick up a new one (~$130,000). That it's not available in the states makes me want to own one while I'm here (watch, they introduce it in the U.S. a month after I buy it here...).

Quote:

I see there are a few of you now in the City so lets figure a meeting point and date and have a few beers.

Coyoacan plaza is a good spot.

El Stigo
Sounds like a great idea, I'm excited to experience some areas of the city I haven't seen much of; Coyocan is one of them.

Hope to catch up soon,

Matt
Old 08-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,852
My 2 bikes are for sale (Super Tenere and F650gs), but they are here in Quintana Roo.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,608
amigo!! BIENVENIDO!!

if you want friends for taste for dirth may I suggest our mexican forum, where everybody is welcome, http://www.motoviajero.com/ even do everyhitng is in Spanish, a lot of us do some form of English, so very fast you will find friends, and who knows maybe somebody has a bike for sale.

Saludos

Damasovi
Old 08-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
garrydymond
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Welcome to Mexico City. SEnd me a PM if you need any help. Yjere are at least 4 of us now in Mex City so we getting together sounds good. I´ll see SalCar tomrrow and then let´s set something up.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:06 AM   #8
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,058
How about a GS1150A, 2002 model with about 78,000kms on it, some accessories and very good overall condition for $85,000 pesos?

Not a bad deal for Mexico.

Easy to buy, pick up, and ride home to DF.

Sounds great, no?

Well, once you investigate it, you find that the title isn't overly clear, the bike is plated from another state from the one it is being sold in. There are tenencias owing before you can even try to get it titled. Not such a great deal anymore, right?
My point is that it is a minefield with used bikes, unless you have bought a used bike in Mexico before and know the ins and outs, be real careful before parting with your pesos.
El Stigo is correct, get it shipped to the border (cheap in the US), get a Viva Aerobus cheapo airline ticket for the same destination as your bike.
Ride it down. It's an easy, easy two day ride, once school goes back in traffic will be lighter, weather will be sweet, and you'll save a lot of money in the long run.
With $6,000 US you are looking at bikes less than $80,000. That puts you into the used KLR territory, maybe you'll get lucky and get some sort of gray market old school airhead with shaky credentials and re-paint to match. You might get a well used Dakar 650 single if you get lucky.
Read El Stigo's post again and reconsider.
Just my 2cents.
If you want some routing for the gulf coast, I'll be happy to share some very good riding routes, if you come over I'll show you them.
Saludos
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
How about a GS1150A, 2002 model with about 78,000kms on it, some accessories and very good overall condition for $85,000 pesos?

Not a bad deal for Mexico.

Easy to buy, pick up, and ride home to DF.

Sounds great, no?

Well, once you investigate it, you find that the title isn't overly clear, the bike is plated from another state from the one it is being sold in. There are tenencias owing before you can even try to get it titled. Not such a great deal anymore, right?
Don't forget to mention, every gasket on the bike has been replaced with a bead of silicon sealant.
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
you are looking at bikes less than $80,000...maybe you'll get lucky and get some sort of gray market old school airhead with shaky credentials and re-paint to match.
Ha! Been there, done that.

gray market... check
old school... check
airhead... check
shaky credentials... check
repaint... check

Mine only cost $4100US out of Guad. Minimal mechanical butchery which was pretty easy to set straight a long with some "creative" wiring that failed soon after I bought it, but was easy enough to fix. Electric red repaint was actually a pretty decent job. Owner was in a situation where he had to sell to cover his aging father's medical expenses. In general, there are good deals to be had on older bikes in Mexico and a few of them aren't totally flogged.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 09:22 AM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #11
m_p_w OP
Unfunempolyed

Thanks fellas. Having thought about it for the past couple of days and taken a look at the current crop of new bikes, I think I'm actually going to hold off for a month or so (I hope, depending on which release date is to be believed) for a KTM Duke 390.

Given what you guys have said--and what I had suspected--the used market is an interesting entity down here.

I have some family at least tangentially connected to the moto industry in Mexico, so I'm hoping to get some sort of a "friend price" on the KTM. I know I'll probably still pay more than if I bought it in the U.S., but lower transaction costs (and respectively lower frustration) will probably make it a more pleasant experience. I'm also working enough that I'm not sure how much time I'll be able to devote to maintenance, and a warranty will be nice.

All of that said, given how indecisive I've been around motos historically, in another week I may be back looking at used bikes. The 390 does seem to be the perfect bike for DF though, from what I've read.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #12
El Stigo
Hey Ese its EL STIGO

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_p_w View Post
The 390 does seem to be the perfect bike for DF though, from what I've read.
Sure does...until you leave the city with the hottie wife or girlfriend and are on a Mexican highway with a Mexican 18 wheeler who`s driver who`s been popping pills for the last 48 hours to make his 2nd circuit D.F. to N. Laredo on your ass.

Then there is that dirt road that noone told you about that you`d like to go explore...

Find a good used bike in the US import it for about US$700 and resell it here when you leave or take it back....importing does not cancel the US status of the bike.

There are a few 990 Adv`s, 800, older R12GS`s out there that will do the job.

Send me a PM with your info and we`ll figure it out over a beer.

La Cerveceria en Coyoacan is a great spot!

http://www.lacerveceria.com.mx/site/...tpage&Itemid=1

El Stigo
First motorcycle experience. Dads, 40 something HD knucklehead it was 1966 he was 22 and my first recorded photo on a bike taken at 2 yrs. Thanks for raising me on the back of your bikes and teaching me to ride my dirt bike 35 years ago!
El Stigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #13
salcar
Riding 4 Health

Oddometer: 1,076
Quote:

Find a good used bike in the US import it for about US$700 and resell it here when you leave or take it back....importing does not cancel the US status of the bike.

Send me a PM with your info and we`ll figure it out over a beer.

La Cerveceria en Coyoacan is a great spot!

http://www.lacerveceria.com.mx/site/...tpage&Itemid=1

El Stigo

only 700USD for importing???
Old 08-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #14
psychohawk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
@MPW ... seems a lot of people who live in country are saying the same thing ... might be worthwhile advice? :-)

Heck, find a student to ride your bike to Laredo then import it ... you'll be out gas $$ and a plane ticket for the student, plus of course your expenses to/from Laredo.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:17 AM   #15
Klutch
gringo goatrider

Oddometer: 232
I've been riding US plated motos in Mexico for the past couple of years and have never been asked for my temporary import paperwork. The sticker doesn't go on the bike like it does the windshield of a car or truck. The result is I no longer temp import the bikes. Just ride them whenever/wherever.
Both our cars have the import permit for the length of or visas (3 years).
Maybe others on the board have the same or different experiences. The federal district may be more strict.
I've been ticketed on a bike as well as a car in Mexico by local trafico and by the federal police for speeding. Neither ever asked for my import permit, just my US driver's license.

North of La Cruz de Huanacaxtle on Mex 200 we ride with some of the Nayarit state police who ride Yamaha Phazers and Suzuki DL650s. It almost seems like they own their own motos?? not sure since I really don't speak the language yet but they are fun to ride with. They always set up speed traps near La Cruz and use the motos for chase vehicles.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote