Old 08-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #121
Rally_West
Central Scrutinizer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
Tune ECU pops up a box that says the tune in incompatible with the
'08 ecu.
So I copied the F1 and F2 tables into my stock '08 map.
Just rode 50 miles, running through the gears to 120 mph.
With some slow around town riding.
Throttle response is excellent, the powers there to red line.
I'll do a 300 mile ride manana and see what's up with the mpg.
'08 990A cpr remus 2 to 1 sas canister etc.
I've got 20,000 + miles on this configuration.

Max
This is spectacular toe hear...I have been working too much lately to do this, but that is precisely what I was going to do. I have an '07 with the same setup as you so I am assuming I should have similar results. I tried leaning out the Akro map and making the stock map fatter...both yielded different results and I am not sure which was better (needs more testing, er' riding). But this gives us older 990ers another option.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #122
CPRFAB
Banned

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goti View Post

Also, as discussed on tuneecu thread, it's not the best idea using 2011 map values on a 2008, bikes have different cams
This is the crux we need to figure out. Will keeping the ignition timing matched to the same year then copying the map values from a different yeat in spite of different cams work? A simple Excel spread sheet that calculates differences will show that. Copy F1 and F2 from a 2008, laying the same from 2011 next to it and programing excel to show differences would be interesting. If the differences in values are minimal, I don't see a problem as long as you retain the ign values.

2008 ADV Orange or Black or S models:
60136010000 CAMSHAFT EXHAUST CPL. FRONT
60136009000 CAMSHAFT INTAKE CPL. FRONT

2011 ADV:
61136010000 CAMSHAFT OUTLET FRONT
61136009000 CAMSHAFT INTAKE FRONT
CPRFAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #123
Rally_West
Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRFAB View Post
This is the crux we need to figure out. Will keeping the ignition timing matched to the same year then copying the map values from a different yeat in spite of different cams work? A simple Excel spread sheet that calculates differences will show that. Copy F1 and F2 from a 2008, laying the same from 2011 next to it and programing excel to show differences would be interesting. If the differences in values are minimal, I don't see a problem as long as you retain the ign values.

2008 ADV Orange or Black or S models:
60136010000 CAMSHAFT EXHAUST CPL. FRONT
60136009000 CAMSHAFT INTAKE CPL. FRONT

2011 ADV:
61136010000 CAMSHAFT OUTLET FRONT
61136009000 CAMSHAFT INTAKE FRONT
This topic sounds familiar. Interesting the part numbers are the same yet folks claim different cams. Maybe the cam gear has the timing changed? Not having been in to one of these motor myself I am not sure what the cam gear and timing mechanism looks like...check fische now.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #124
CPRFAB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post

Great products! Looking forward to more CPR goodies.
Debuting a bunch of stuff at the KTM Rally. All items that have never been done before and we are working our arsses off to make it a good one and see you all there!

CPRFAB screwed with this post 08-30-2013 at 11:37 AM
Old 08-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #125
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally_West View Post
This is spectacular toe hear...I have been working too much lately to do this, but that is precisely what I was going to do. I have an '07 with the same setup as you so I am assuming I should have similar results. I tried leaning out the Akro map and making the stock map fatter...both yielded different results and I am not sure which was better (needs more testing, er' riding). But this gives us older 990ers another option.
I rode a few hundred miles with the modified '08 map today.
Mainly open dirt roads, four pass climbs, much of it over 75 mph.
Seat of the pants dyno says some added power, which is noticeable
when accelerating at mid RMPs.
I need to check, but I think the tune turned off (opened) the butterfly's.
There's a different sound while on the gas.
Smooth throttle response, possibly the best on any FI 990 I've had.
I'm on the gas , I like to blast around, 41 mpg.

Twist it, Max
Old 08-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #126
boat.man
Chief bottle washer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRFAB View Post
Debuting a bunch of stuff at the KTM Rally. All items that have never been done before and we are working our arsses off to make it a good one and see you all there!

Cant wait!! Love the Intake, the thing just honks would love to talk to you guys about maps for the 2007
2 sleds
lets go play!!
boat.man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:29 AM   #127
GLRRA47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74

I have a 2007 as well. About ready to pull the trigger on a CPR and pipe(s), but waiting till the 2007 map thing appears good.
GLRRA47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:15 PM   #128
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally_West View Post
This topic sounds familiar. Interesting the part numbers are the same yet folks claim different cams. Maybe the cam gear has the timing changed? Not having been in to one of these motor myself I am not sure what the cam gear and timing mechanism looks like...check fische now.
I think you were speed reading too much. The part numbers are not the same. In the KTM part number series, the first three are to identify the bike. 601 is Adventure and 611 is the SuperDuke. The rest of the number is the same because they took the SD came and put it in the Adventure. Hence only changing the first three.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:05 PM   #129
CPRFAB
Banned

07 / 08 maps are available!

Well, after a long session of brainstorming at the Rottweiler headquarters with some great fellas that are right here on ADV, we have come up with some maps for the 07/08 ADV guys. There are available free at the link below and are as follows:

http://www.rottweilerperformance.com/Downloads.html

ADV 990 07/08 2-1 Exhaust - Rottweiler Intake - Tune ECU
This is the popular 2011 map we have that is 2-1 exhaust with Rottweiler Intake but changed to work with 07/08 Adv's. Basically the F1,F2,L1,L2 values have been changed to match the 2011 map but with the 07/08 operating background. We have loaded this into an 07 990 and it loaded fine. Did the 15 min reset and Rally West will report on the outcome. (Thank you!!) We have double checked the values in a map comparison and everything is spot on. NOW, the cams are different so keep that in mind. Again, Rally West will report a before and after using the 07 / 08 Akro map that is typically pretty rich as it has to be universal.

ADV 990 07/08 2-1 Exhaust - Rottweiler Intake - 1% Leaner - Tune ECU
Same as above just 1% leaner if so desired. High altitude, fuel mileage or you just think the map is too rich.

ADV 990 07/08 2-1 Exhaust - Rottweiler Intake - 2% Leaner - Tune ECU
Ditto, 2% leaner than the first map listed above for the same reasons stated under the second map.

Enjoy!!

Chris Parker
Old 09-01-2013, 04:08 AM   #130
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 815
Soooo cool you guys are spending time to do this for the Adv community here.

Do you think you might be do a similar map for a 2 into 2 Akra + stock filter + Tune Ecu and one for a 2 into 2 + Rottweiler Intake + Tune Ecu ?

Would love to try before I go the whole Rottweiler Intake mod.

Cheers
Old 09-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #131
GLRRA47
Adventurer

While sort of on the subject - Do you think the Rotwieler set-up works best on a 2 into 1, 2 into 2 or makes no difference? (Looking at the FMF Q4's and on the fence to do 1 or 2...
Old 09-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #132
CPRFAB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLRRA47 View Post
While sort of on the subject - Do you think the Rotwieler set-up works best on a 2 into 1, 2 into 2 or makes no difference? (Looking at the FMF Q4's and on the fence to do 1 or 2...
Makes no difference. It's pretty much unrelated. Ultimately the intake will make the same power with or without an exhaust, it's what kind of power you want to make with the exhaust after the intake is installed is what you should be asking yourself. A dual out exhaust has the best flow characteristics (when compared to a 2-1 that has not been properly sized which is most of them) and also has the most sound abating area. The caveat is weight. Conversely, a single out, when properly sized will have less sound abating area but weigh the least and make the same power as a dual out and sometimes more tunable power as there is now a "collected" spot that can be sized according to the back pressure and scavenging you are looking for that translates into low, mid or top end power. Problem on the Adv is the header tubes are unequal by 11.75 inches at the mid-pipe which makes collecting them into a single out very tricky and the sizing of the collector must be precise. (the budget one's aren't even close)
Old 09-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #133
GLRRA47
Adventurer

Very good info. Thanks for all the work.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #134
Rally_West
Central Scrutinizer

Fuel fired air pump

Regarding the 2 into 1/2...as with any engine the goal is really to increase air in and air out. The current 2 into 1 mufflers on the market are not properly sized to either curb sound nor properly flow exhaust. Even in a perfectly built and tunes exhaust there is a point where increasing flow will exceed the desired noise level. I have run the stock side panel heaters , an Akropovic in 2 into 1 and a Remus in 2 into 1 (both 2 into 1s with and without noise tube). All of these feel about the same and I am sure likely flow similarly (all seat of the pants) In a perfect world I would chose a 2 into 2 with an X-pipe with a CPR intake...that setup would flow the most air (more than needed with stock cams and stock headwork). I chose 2 into 1 as I wanted the extra storage space of the lost can which I filled with CJ Designs storage box ( a great piece of kit). However I know I lose some flow and thus performance. The CPR Rottweiler intake certainly helped increase the flow (as can be seen by needing to add more fuel via TuneEcu...more air in needs more fuel and makes more power).

With that said...the stock maps (at least for 07-08 bikes) are way too lean. These might work at higher elevations (over 5000, but just a guess) but even then I think they will be too lean. The maps on CPR Rottweiler web page for the 07-08s are a great place to start. They are very safe with plenty of fuel added. I am actually running the Akropovic map available from TuneEcu website (which I am assuming is the KTM factory Akropovic map) and I have leaned that map out 2% across the board. I do still have some of the snatchy low TPS (right at throttle tip-in) but I am working with Chris at CPR Rottweiler to get rid of some of that. There are some good discussions in the TuneEcu Got Tunes thread here in the Orange Crush. Some folks are lowering the F/L switch values with good results, but I am still working on this for my bike.

At this point I would feel comfortable running the Rottweiler with any of the non-stock maps that are available from either CPR Rottweiler or on the TuneEcu site. Be sure to pick the map for your year bike and also in TuneEcu be sure to check the boxes for your setup (ie. SAI (SAS removed), O2s on or off (up to you), EPC, etc). There is PLENTY of discussion here in the Orange Crush about TuneEcu and how to use it. For those running the Dyno piggy back products you will obviously need to suss this out on your own (this thread kinda turned into a Rottweiler with TuneEcu thread).

Bottom line for me is that the Rottweiler intake is a great addition to the Adventures. I have more airflow (at least in, now I need to work on getting more out), a noticeable increase in power, I can easily change my prefilter and main filter in minutes, I saved a decent amount of weight and mass off the top of the motor, and it has a cool sound. The Rottweiler is a well thought out and well built product and Chris at CPR is committed to the 990 community and more than willing to spend the time I needed to answer any questions I have had.

PS I bought my Rottweiler from CJ after doing some research on CPR. CJ has always taken care of me and I run several of the products he designs and builds. Since I live close to CPR, I purchased my SAS plates and pre-filter directly from Chris. Do a little Googling on CPR and peep some of the exhaust and fab work he has done...pretty sick work. He also has a background in building Baja, Pikes Peak and many other cars (my real love).
Old 09-02-2013, 05:20 AM   #135
GLRRA47
Adventurer

Rally West - Very nice exhaust write-up. Exactly what I was looking for. Sounds like 2 cans are the best route for me at this point. I'll be looking for some cans to go with the CPR that don't break the bank - probably the Q4's. Wish I was headed to the CO rally to listen to different set-ups. (Already did an Ohio - CO trip once this year.) Hopefully the Q4's have a nice tone and will hold-up to trips with long highway stretches.

Cheers!