ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013, 05:57 AM   #31
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo.Ramos View Post
Get the 908RR.

For rocky desert trails the big twin will eat the MT21 like a snack.
You can buy A SET of MT-21's for the price of one of those 908's they're so proud of.

After running the MT's for a bit (140 rear on narrower rim) on gravel/rocky roads, I continue to be impressed with them.

YMMV.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:17 AM   #32
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by b18c5rodney View Post
here is the tire unmounted compared to a 300 miles 150/70-18 heidi k60 which is mounted:
That tire looks like you'll feel every tread block hitting the road surface at low speeds. It will probably make the K60 feel smooth by comparison.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #33
Rodknee
I wish I was Ghetto

Oddometer: 2,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
That tire looks like you'll feel every tread block hitting the road surface at low speeds. It will probably make the K60 feel smooth by comparison.
nope. just rode the bike. i like it much better then the k60. brakes and accelerates better, and much smoother when leaned over. very impressed so far, i cannot wait for the 150. i only rode it 20 miles on pavement. i will do a good mixed surface test tomorrow.

150 k60 vs 140 karoo, both dismounted. i did not measure them dismounted, only mounted on the wheel. the 140 k3 is 1/4" narrower then the 150 k60, both inflated.

as you can clearly see, the 150 k60 is molded for a much wider wheel. it took 3x and a lot of lube to seat the beads.

the sidewall bulges a bit because the tire is stretched on the 4.25 wheel. it is not quite VW stunna stretch, but i can picture it cutting a sidewall if you are spinning while leaned over on a sharp rock. no biggie, 150 will fix that.

even stretched, the k3 is much more curved then the k60.

mounted on the bike

Rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #34
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Quote:
I'm curious what you like better about the 140 K60 than the 150.

I'm quite happy with the off-road behavior of my 150. Both front and rear are not "smooth" on the road, but they get good traction in turns, which is the most important thing to me.

I realized that each size has a slightly different tread pattern, but the 140 looks very similar to the 150 in tread shape.

Is that okay to quote myself?

I just ran over some sort of razor blade that sliced up my rear, cutting the cord enough to make it unsafe. The old tire had a date code of around 3412 (unlike my earlier claim of just being a few months old). The new rear tire in the exact same 150/70-18 size has a date code of 2713 and has rubber down the center. It's way smoother on the street. I have yet to see how well it does off road, because I really liked the old one on the dirt.

New tire:

What forced me to get a new tire:
Old 09-12-2013, 02:25 AM   #35
Top Bloke
Porky Rider

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
You can buy A SET of MT-21's for the price of one of those 908's they're so proud of.

After running the MT's for a bit (140 rear on narrower rim) on gravel/rocky roads, I continue to be impressed with them.

YMMV.
I'm inclined to agree. This was taken at the border - 975km of mixed terrain (sand, mud, sharp rocks) into the trip. All up for this tyre it was probably 1200km. Still plenty of life left in it.

I have a Mitas E-09 Dakar I bought as a spare in 150/70 that cost more than the full set of MT21s. Will let you know how that goes when I get around to fitting it but for the money, I think the MT21s are a winner for me and my style of riding.
Top Bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #36
Metal Zen
One Wheel Drive

Oddometer: 1
My 990 Baja came stock with a 908 RR 140/80-18. I just purchased a set of K60's and matched the tire sizes from stockers...I liked the tread pattern on the 150 better but didn't think I'd have adequate clearance with the larger tire. I hope I didn't screw that up.
Metal Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:06 AM   #37
Rodknee
I wish I was Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Zen View Post
I liked the tread pattern on the 150 better but didn't think I'd have adequate clearance with the larger tire. I hope I didn't screw that up.
150 will fit fine, many have used it as it is the stock size for all other adv other then the baja.

you got a k60? good luck with that. it sucks imho.
NY to Alaska Ride Report Aug 14'
2014 Rides: Katie M Big girl & Berg Hoon'icycle
RIP Buddy 1999-2014
Old 09-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #38
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by b18c5rodney View Post
you got a k60? good luck with that. it sucks imho.
So what is it that you don't like about the K60?

I like the traction off road and like the traction leaned into a turn on a twisty highway. Now that I have the rear with rubber down the center they're even smooth enough to not be annoying.

You say you don't like them. What about them don't you like?
Old 09-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #39
Rodknee
I wish I was Ghetto

Quote:
So what is it that you don't like about the K60?
You say you don't like them. What about them don't you like?

different strokes, for different folks i guess.

tire is too mediocre. compound is too hard for anything aggressive. i found it downright scary on the road, with the steep drop off on the tread, especially the rear. felt like it added 100hp to my 990.

i replaced it with the karoo 3, and even with the bad fitment of the 140 on the 4.25" wheel it still had better traction and feel both on and offroad. the k60 does last longer, but the rock hard compound will do that. even compared to the stock scorps, the compound would engauge the abs way more easily/frequently offroad. i was thinking mebbie it was just me, but i swapped bikes with a buddy with a nearly new 990, and he had the same thoughts. he was actually scared of my bike...

i have a friend who put 3k on a pair, and he had nearly the same wear as me with 300 miles. he is more gentle on the throttle then me, and he is content with them. one thing for sure, they don't respond well to aggressive riding.
RIP Buddy 1999-2014
Old 09-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #40
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Zen View Post
My 990 Baja came stock with a 908 RR 140/80-18. I just purchased a set of K60's and matched the tire sizes from stockers...I liked the tread pattern on the 150 better but didn't think I'd have adequate clearance with the larger tire. I hope I didn't screw that up.
I'm a 908RR hater. OK, disliker. It's my opinion KTM put the 908 on the Baja as a marketing move, not because it's the right tire for the application.

The bike has a 4.25" rear wheel, and looking at Dunlop's website, the 4.25 rim is not listed in the 908 accepted widths.

Now, people are buying 140 size tires because KTM put a 140 on a bike that's designed for a 150.

This makes my head hurt.

Tire size should be determined by rim size, not by the marketing folks at KTM.

Yes, many people use the 908 and are happy with it, so don't hose me with fire from your keyboards. But realize if you want a knobby tire designed for a 4.25 rim, you'll be hard-pressed to find one.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:07 AM   #41
Rodknee
I wish I was Ghetto

so, i have had 5 different tires on my 990 in the last few months, 3 of them being 140's.

best fit by far was the karoo 3. the tractionator was too square and the scorpion rally was fairly square (looks more like a paddle tire). i still have to put some mileage on the scorp, but the fit isn't impressive as of now.

the karoo 3 has the right profile, and an aggressive compound, but it wears fairly quickly.

the testing continues...
RIP Buddy 1999-2014
Old 09-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #42
Vector Leto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
KTM influencing the market, or the market influencing KTM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
Now, people are buying 140 size tires because KTM put a 140 on a bike that's designed for a 150.
People were using the D908 and other 140-sized tires on the stock wheel long before KTM released the Baja.

Vector Leto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #43
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,300
I ran a Pirelli Rally rear on my 950 Adventure for the Colorado BDR. I couldn't see with that tire how a 150 would have fit b/c it's so wide.

BTW, did not like the Rally rear. No side bite - it just slides. Great forward bite, but no side bite.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #44
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector Leto View Post
People were using the D908 and other 140-sized tires on the stock wheel long before KTM released the Baja.

Really?

Yes, I understand that, but you've missed my point...

I believe KTM put the 140 Dunlop tire because their marketing department discovered consumers had been using 140 Dunlops and determined the tire would make the bike more attractive to consumers.

That's marketing. Just like the graphics. Marketing.

However, this was not a engineering decision. The 140 is not intended for a 4.25" rim, and it is my suspicion (that's right, not based on fact, pure conjecture on my part) the engineers who put a 4.25" rim on the ADV bike would disagree with the decision of the marketing department. The engineers would likely tell marketing that if they wanted to run a 140 Dunlop, they would have specified a narrower rim, just like the SE.

Does that help?

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:53 AM   #45
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
I ran a Pirelli Rally rear on my 950 Adventure for the Colorado BDR. I couldn't see with that tire how a 150 would have fit b/c it's so wide.

BTW, did not like the Rally rear. No side bite - it just slides. Great forward bite, but no side bite.
Bummer, I just bought 2 140-18 Pirelli Scorpion Rallys! Cheap and on sale at Motorcyclesuperstore. Back years ago the d908 could be had from RockyMountainATV for under $100 so I bought a bunch of them and laced up an SE rear rim for my ADV. Huge disappointment when they priced them out of sight.

One thing about the d908, it has great side bite, nothing I've run on the 950 hooks up as well, its so-so in mud and gives a really annoying tail wiggle in the sand though.

Back east here, we have more pavement we have to ride to get to the good stuff, more mud when we're there. Hoping the Rally might work out ok for the riding I'm doing. Lots of gravel will make it not hooking up in the curves a real PIA.
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote