User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2005, 12:16 PM   #1
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,912
Centerstand Pivot Bolts

On the morning of July 19th, I was going to head out on a little tour to the MOA national on my R1200GS. Got everything packed and ready, and started off. Went to the gas station to fill up, and when I put the bike up on the centerstand, it wobbled a little before coming to rest.

After gassing up, I took a good look at it, and it turned out that I had a broken centerstand pivot bolt. At first, I thought "oh, it has loosened up and fallen out" which was alarming, but as I looked closer, the head was still there. I figure that when riding two-up going around a fast bumpy corner leaned way over, we must have bumped the centerstand pretty hard a few times, and that weakened it, and then it let go the rest of the way gradually.

The gas station was close to home, so I turned around and went home to my garage to sort out the problem. I didn't really want to go away on a 2 week tour with NO centerstand, so fixing it was important. I went to drill out and ez-out the broken off part, but my left-handed drill bit actually unscrewed the broken part for me, so I never had to use the ez-out (this is exactly why you want lefty drill bits, BTW).

Next, I had to find a replacement. The bolt in question was 10mm in diameter and had a head shaped like a counter sunk screw, which fit perfectly into a recess as it held the centerstand to the frame. I first called the nearest dealer. They are an MSRP kind of shop and no, they didn't have one, but could order me one and it would cost about THIRTEEN DOLLARS FOR ONE LOUSY BOLT. Not wanting to wait for an order OR pay that much, I rummaged around my toolbox and came up with a regular allen bolt of the correct diameter and thread pitch. I reasoned that a large washer under the head would be forced into a cone shape as the bolt was tigtened, and that ought to work for the tour. So, I tried it, and it worked. However, the bolt I had found wasn't marked for hardness and I was a little concerned, so I took a chance and called my local hardware store (an Ace affiliate). Now, this is not a huge place, so I was not terribly hopeful, but I described what I was looking for and held the line while the man went off to look at the hardware.

Amazingly enough, they had what I needed!!! They had various lengths, too! I think they were about a buck a piece or a little bit more. Definitely under $2.00 each. So, I ran down and grabbed a few so I'd have spares. I now carry one in the tool kit and have a couple of extras in my collection at home.

As I thought about it, I decided to use a replacement that was longer than the stock bolt so that it would protrude out the other side. This way, if it ever broke, I could grab the protruding end with a pair of pliers and unscrew it, instead of having to drill it out.

So, you might want to check your centerstand bolts, and replace them with long ones if they show any signs of distress.

Oh, one other thing. To get everything lined up for bolt replacement, you will be fighting the centerstand spring. Sit down in the floor next to the bike facing backward (so you're looking at where the bike has just been) and use a foot on the centerstand to push it into alignment as you thread the replacement bolt.

I will post a pic of what these bolts look like when I get a chance.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 12:50 PM   #2
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,362
Weird, Very weird Emoto.

Not your story but where you found it. I was just relating the exact same experience to BV yesterday about my bolt shearing and I never have heard of that happening before. IMO, I think it was me rocking it off the centrestand repeatedly which might have caused some sway left ot right and stressed the bolt. I rarely ride two-up so this isn't a factor but it did occur on my aborted BYOB trip this year on my way home from Deal's Gap. I was loaded up with all my camping gear and it was repeatedly difficult ot get off the centre stand. I should add those to my list of stuff to carry.

I used a rachet tie-down strapped against a parking post to stretch the spring to fit back in. It was easier than any other method I've seen.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 01:10 PM   #3
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Well, I do manage to inhabit the weird zone frequently.

To me, it seems unlikely that rocking the bike would do it, but I have nothing objective to back that thought up.

The thing I was impressed with was that the design allows the centerstand to be used even with a broken bolt.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:31 PM   #4
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

So, here I am, a year later. Yesterday, a mere 364 days after the right-hand centerstand bolt broke, as I was on my way home from this year's MOA national, I found that the left-hand centerstand pivot bolt had broken! This means that BOTH STOCK BOLTS have now broken. In both cases, the bolts sheared off inside the threaded bushing that they screw into.

I urge all 1200GS owners to carry spare bolts, and/or a roadside fix-it kit (see below) in case the bolt breaks inside the bushing, like mine both did.

Ok, so there I was, about to buy gas in a small Ohio town 500 miles from home, and as I leaned the bike toward vertical so that both centerstand feet would touch before I raised it onto the stand, I noticed it felt "funny". I bent down to examine what was going on, and found the bolt broken. . Nothing to do but gas up on the sidestand and see about fixing it later when we stop for the day. A little later in the ride, I saw an Ace Hardware store and pulled in, so that I could buy a new bolt.

Unfortunately, like before, the bolt sheared off in the bushing like so - no way to grab it and get it out, so I couldn't use the spare bolt I had

So, I went without the bushing and used a bolt, nut, and two big washers to re-attach the left side of the stand. Although one would think this would be a bad and sloppy fit, it worked. When sufficiently tightened, it actually allowed me to put the bike up on the centerstand several times to buy gas, and was not wobbly. Note that the centerstand did not rotate as freely as it normally would, so you had to push it all the way into the up position with your foot. I call this bolt/nut/washers combo the roadside fix kit:

In order to re-use the bushing, I pulled the broken bolt section out of it. Unlike the other one, this time my left-handed drill bit did not do anything more than drill a hole, so I had to use the extractor.

First, I dimpled the center of the bolt so that the drill bit wouldn't skip all over the place. You want to drill down the center of the bolt so you don't hit any threads.

Then you drill...

Then twist it out with the extractor:

Then, I cleaned up the bushing with some contact cleaner and then greased the outside of it.

Then, back it went with the new bolt:

A trip to the local Ace Hardware netted me some better replacement bolts than what I bought a year ago. The new ones are stainless. M10 x 35mm.

I bought 35's because I want the new bolts to stick out the end of the bushing. That way, if another one ever breaks, I should be able to grab the protruding end of it with pliers or vise grips and spin it out of the bushing, rather than resorting to drills and extractors. A 40mm length would maybe be a little better, since it would give you additional protruding threads, but I bought 35's, so that's what I used.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:52 PM   #5
Devil Dog
Q-Tip With Ears

Oddometer: 9,170
Nice tech tips. Where in Ohio were you?

Fuck Jesse V
In his ass
With a chainsaw
Devil Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:00 PM   #6
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,370
Thanks for the tips Bob.. I'll keep an eye on those bolts..
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:36 PM   #7
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

You're welcome guys.

As I look over my track that I pushed into MapSource, I think it was actually in PA; somewhere east of Smethport.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:32 PM   #8
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,659
Nice!

Though I doubt my bike has been on the centerstand more than 30 times in 36K miles, I am interested in the durability of the bolts.

Thanks for posting this!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:18 PM   #9
yankee270
Las Vegas, NV

Oddometer: 15
Great thread but 2 weeks to late. My bolt also snapped on me but I was 200 miles away from home in the middle of the Nevada desert. No extra bolt. Had to remove it and have it ride shotgun behind me on the way home. I have an extra bolt and it'sn now part of my tool kit
yankee270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:11 AM   #10
BobFV1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 23,806
Emoto - thanks for focusing us on this potential issue, and good work on your improvised repair!

You gas your bike on the center stand? Is that to get the "last drop" in? I used to do that but then I realized that my tank is so much bigger than my bladder that it wasn't neccesary!

Glad this worked out for you.

BobFV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:07 AM   #11
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFV1
Emoto - thanks for focusing us on this potential issue, and good work on your improvised repair!

You gas your bike on the center stand? Is that to get the "last drop" in? I used to do that but then I realized that my tank is so much bigger than my bladder that it wasn't neccesary!

Glad this worked out for you.
Thanks. Yes, I always gas it up on the center stand, and yes, it is to get a full tank. I usually don't need every last bit of range, but I figure that if I am going to fill the tank, I might as well really fill it. I also always park it on the center stand unless I am backing it into a curb at a lunch stop or similar where the centerstand wouldn't make sense.

So, maybe I use the centerstand more than most people?

The thought occurs to me that if a bolt broke and one didn't want to keep using the center stand, a simple zip tie (cable tie) could serve to hold the stand in place. Simpler than carrying the bolt, nut, and 2 washers.

Emoto screwed with this post 07-19-2007 at 05:14 AM
Old 07-19-2007, 10:21 AM   #12
webwalker
Monitor monitor

Oddometer: 591
I ran into the same problem a year ago just as I was about to leave on a trip. The bolt looked very familiar. Sure enough, it's the same (or damn close) as my 82 R100RS uses. This won't help when I'm not home, but if there's a airhead around, you may be able to scrounge the bolt while on the road. However the bushing is not the same.

I, too, now carry a spare in my tool kit, as well as a spare bushing.

webwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:15 AM   #13
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,169
Good Grief! Another Zit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwalker
I ran into the same problem a year ago just as I was about to leave on a trip. The bolt looked very familiar. Sure enough, it's the same (or damn close) as my 82 R100RS uses. This won't help when I'm not home, but if there's a airhead around, you may be able to scrounge the bolt while on the road. However the bushing is not the same.

I, too, now carry a spare in my tool kit, as well as a spare bushing.
That is the sound of my teeth grinding...is this not a poor design and a warranty issue?

I put mine on the center stand in my shop, never sit on it when on centerstand and still it feels very flimsy when I roll it up on stand and roll it off stand...way too much side flex..

Anyone contact BMW?

Phil::
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:09 PM   #14
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Phil asked me a little while ago about the length of the bolt I used with the 2 washers. It was 45mm (just under 2"). You can use a longer bolt without a problem, though, as there is really nothing on the outer side of the pivot location for it to interfere with.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:21 PM   #15
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,721
And while you had it apart, you should have drilled each leg at the pivot with a 1/16" drill so that it can be greased like the sidestand.

Now I don't know the details of the R1200 GS centerstand, but the pivot was showing signs of wear and it was dry on my R1150 GS, despite being sealed by 2 O-rings at each pivot.

Now a quick squirt with a cone tipped grease gun and I'm good for a few months...same goes for the sidestand which already had a hole for greasing purposes.

Euro & North American Travel & Technical Stuff for the R1150 GS & Adventure

Euro & Alps Motorcycle Tours - Priced Right, How to go about

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein
Global Rider is offline   Reply With Quote