Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2013, 04:21 AM   #16
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltours View Post
... in Rencurel, Le Marronnier
Great place to meet other motorcyclists.
Plenty of parking spaces, too

AlpineRoads.com meeting - 2011
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #17
Isgro
Free ranging...

Oddometer: 48
This thread is going to be VERY useful for my trip. Bookmarking.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:38 AM   #18
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,035
Also bookmarking. Planning also a similar trip!
Old 08-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #19
Krime OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz_ View Post
Ha seems I told you about a lot of things you already know about! In regards to the SS38, I was in Dervio visiting my folks at the start of July and it looks like the area have got funding to complete the superstrada bypass from Colico as they had finally completed the half built junction at the top of the lake, you may well have seen the random road structures in the middle of fields alongside the SS38. So fingers crossed in a year or two that single lane hell road will be just another local road.

Will take a look at your RR when I get a chance!

If you are in the area the road from Bergamo > Primaluna > Bellano can be fun if there isn't much traffic, in August there is usually a Moto Guzzi festival/museum display in Primaluna.(no doubt you have already done this :p)
Appreciate the trip idea towards Bellano. Originally I've been thinking to stay south and head from Storno area to Como... but wondering now if that route will be too flat and boring. It may be worth (time permitting) heading north towards Bellano and then up and around the lake, coming down passing through Lugano Switzerland maybe?
Krime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #20
Krime OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
The east side is slow, congested and trafficy - an endless stream of small towns, tourists and only one road through.

The west side (La Gardesana) has MUCH less traffic and great views of the lake. As a plus, you also get to avoid most of Riva's traffic.

If you do go up the west side, take a short side trip up to Pieve (GREAT little road) to the Hotel Paradiso for a cafe (or whatever). They have a small balcony cantilevered over the cliff face with a superb view of the lake.

Looking down from the balcony, about 370 meters to the water:

If it's hazy, don't bother.
Great tip with Hotel Paradiso, thank you! We'll be sure to avoid the east side of the lake.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #21
Krime OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltours View Post
... in Rencurel, Le Marronnier

Great place to meet other motorcyclists. I came down from
Gorges du Nan (A+)
via Col de la Croix Berard (A+) and
Col de toutes Aures (A).
All that after a looooong 12h day on the bike.... but that's annother story to soon be told;-)
Sold! Place looks great and reasonable prices too.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #22
glitch_oz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krime View Post
Sold! Place looks great and reasonable prices too.
Email-reply from there:

Hello,
We are open till the 27th of September 2013.
Best regards
Jean-François

www.AusTouring.com
A Dozen Years Of Adventures
glitch_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #23
Krime OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
See if you can find a copy of John Hermann's book "Motorcycle Journeys through the Alps...). It's presently out of print with a new (5th) edition due out in November. Later editions have added non-alpine regions, so just about any edition will suit your needs.
Has anyone had any luck getting their hands on this book? Used, Prices range from around $200 to $1400!
Old 08-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #24
Krime OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch_oz View Post
Email-reply from there:

Hello,
We are open till the 27th of September 2013.
Best regards
Jean-François
Great stuff, thanks.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:52 AM   #25
Oz_
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Appreciate the trip idea towards Bellano. Originally I've been thinking to stay south and head from Storno area to Como... but wondering now if that route will be too flat and boring. It may be worth (time permitting) heading north towards Bellano and then up and around the lake, coming down passing through Lugano Switzerland maybe?
I'm having trouble visualising the route you are thinking of (can't find Storno), if you have a few pop up a quick map?

I will say that the road from Menaggio to Lugano can be hectic in peak season once you hit the shores of Lake Lugano on the Italian side.
Oz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:08 AM   #26
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
I'm having trouble visualising the route you are thinking of (can't find Storno), if you have a few pop up a quick map?
I suspect a typo - look for "Storo" - per the route description, it's in the right place.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #27
CourtFisher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Has anyone had any luck getting their hands on this book? Used, Prices range from around $200 to $1400!
No, but amazon.ca (Canada) displays used copies offered:
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listin...7305008&sr=8-1

from a Canadian source,
starting at CDN$ 12 + shipping

As earlier noted, it's worth it if you can get your hands on a copy before leaving.
CourtFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #28
Krime OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

I will say that the road from Menaggio to Lugano can be hectic in peak season once you hit the shores of Lake Lugano on the Italian side.
Apologies Oz, Micheal is correct it was a typo - Storo is correct. I'm posting my updated version of the entire route now.

Krime screwed with this post 08-24-2013 at 11:47 AM
Old 08-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #29
Krime OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks to the really helpful feedback from this post, I've put together a new route. Bare with me here - it's in 3 parts as Google Maps only allows a certain amount of waypoints. Here's the routes, divided into 3 parts (part 3 having two potential options).

Part 1: Munich - Grenoble France

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=T...mra=ls&t=m&z=7

Part 2: Gronoble France - Lake Brienz Switzerland

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Gr...mra=ls&t=m&z=8

Part 3 (end) Lake Brienz Switzerland - Munich

Switzerland Option 1:
More North taking Ferry Across Lucerne and smaller passes.
Breinz - Samen - Acherli Pass - Brunnen (ferry across lake) - Schwyz - Glarus Nord

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr...a=ls&via=6&z=9

Switzerland Option 2:
More South through Switzerlands higher passes.
Breinz - Sustenpass - Gotthardpass - Klausenpass - Glarus Nord

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Br...=ht&mra=pr&z=8

Here's a few more targeted questions:

1) From Munich through Austria to Arraba, any recommendations on routes to go through? As shown on the map I've currently planned it through Innsbruck.

2) Specific must see passes in the Dolomites (around Arabba). I've got Passo du Gaiu mentioned so far. As per the map (part 1) I've added in a preliminary loop around Arabba to signify the extra day we'll have riding around there.

3) Route recommendations leaving the Dolomites from Arabba to Riva Del Garda? Currently the route takes Passo Rollo south and then heads west. No idea what passes to focus on here.

4) Not thrilled about taking ss38 from Aprica to Morbegno - I took this route before and it was congested with traffic (as discussed in previous posts). Wondering if I'm better instead to head from Breno West to Clusone - San Giovanni Bianco (instead of north to Edolo) and then north to Morbegno? Looks like there would be many winding passes instead of the long run West on ss38.

5) I have the route currently set to ride south along the West side of lake Como - any recommendation on this? Worthwhile? Open to heading more west to the other lake (Lake Maggiore) through Locarno and then South if it's a better option.

6) In the Vercors region on our way through Die and then Grenoble, are there any Gorges and must see roads I'm missing here? I've got Gorge de la Bourne set currently. Time permitting, in addition to the extra day in the Dolomites, I'm thinking about staying at Le Marronniere for an extra day as the pictures look so beautiful in this region. I've seen some AMAZING roads in the pictures of Le Marronniere's website and would love to check them out in person: http://en.hotellemarronnier.com/Tourisme-moto.htm (the slide show under the heading 'Discover the Vercors' - especially the roads that are shown in the 2nd, 7th, 9th and 10th shots in the thumbnails list).

7) As I mentioned above on part 3, I have 2 different ideas for the start of the 3rd and final leg. First option has us going through more central Swtizerland to lake Lucerne, while second option has us going more South through the bigger passes (including Susten Pass - which I originally planned on riding last year but last minute did Grimsel and Furka instead). Thinking it would be great for my father to experience some of the larger swiss passes (like Susten), but it could also be nice to take the more central, smaller (I'm assuming) passes through the country. Really on the fence here.

8) Any suggestions for our route to see the Neuschwanstein castle in Germany and then up to Munich for the end of the trip?

Any other thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

Krime screwed with this post 08-24-2013 at 12:03 PM
Old 08-25-2013, 01:41 AM   #30
glitch_oz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,655
Quote:
I suspect a typo - look for "Storo" - per the route description, it's in the right place.

Storo at night

Bummer, missed a shot of the Holy Madonna all lit up watching over town at night.
What a place!

www.AusTouring.com
A Dozen Years Of Adventures
glitch_oz is offline   Reply With Quote