Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 04:36 AM   #31
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,197
And then there's this place:

about 5 kms east of Storo.

There used to be room to park 4 or 5 bikes beside the road, but it was roped off this year

Nice place to cool off: Short Video
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Ten years in the Alps (so far)
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:12 AM   #32
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krime View Post
1) From Munich through Austria to Arraba, any recommendations on routes to go through? As shown on the map I've currently planned it through Innsbruck.
The Brenner is the pass of least resistance. I'd take the old road vs. the Autobahn/Autostrada.

Another option would be to take the Timmelsjoch/Passo Rombo combo down into Merano and then east to Arabba.

Quote:
2) Specific must see passes in the Dolomites (around Arabba). I've got Passo du Gaiu mentioned so far. As per the map (part 1) I've added in a preliminary loop around Arabba to signify the extra day we'll have riding around there.
Pordoi, Sella, Valparola, Campolongo, Fedaia, Falzarego, Lago di Misurina...

I did 18 passes on the 18th of July, and would have done 21 but there were active T-Storms on the last 3

Quote:
3) Route recommendations leaving the Dolomites from Arabba to Riva Del Garda? Currently the route takes Passo Rollo south and then heads west. No idea what passes to focus on here.
Rolle is nice, but Passo Manghen is one of my favorite passes - SP31 south from Molina - about 16 kms west of the turnoff for Rolle.

Then again, I'm a sucker for the smaller, narrow passes.

Quote:
4) Not thrilled about taking ss38 from Aprica to Morbegno - I took this route before and it was congested with traffic (as discussed in previous posts). Wondering if I'm better instead to head from Breno West to Clusone - San Giovanni Bianco (instead of north to Edolo) and then north to Morbegno? Looks like there would be many winding passes instead of the long run West on ss38.
Passo San Marco being one of the best.

Quote:
5) I have the route currently set to ride south along the West side of lake Como - any recommendation on this? Worthwhile? Open to heading more west to the other lake (Lake Maggiore) through Locarno and then South if it's a better option.
Trafficky - the east side seems less congested. That being said - this is where everybody in Milano heads for to get out of the city.

Quote:
6) In the Vercors region on our way through Die and then Grenoble, are there any Gorges and must see roads I'm missing here? I've got Gorge de la Bourne set currently. Time permitting, in addition to the extra day in the Dolomites, I'm thinking about staying at Le Marronniere for an extra day as the pictures look so beautiful in this region. I've seen some AMAZING roads in the pictures of Le Marronniere's website and would love to check them out in person: http://en.hotellemarronnier.com/Tourisme-moto.htm (the slide show under the heading 'Discover the Vercors' - especially the roads that are shown in the 2nd, 7th, 9th and 10th shots in the thumbnails list).
A couple of those are the Grands Goulets:

Now bypassed by a lovely tunnel

One of the others looks like the Combe de Laval just before the Col de la Machine.

Quote:
7) As I mentioned above on part 3, I have 2 different ideas for the start of the 3rd and final leg. First option has us going through more central Swtizerland to lake Lucerne, while second option has us going more South through the bigger passes (including Susten Pass - which I originally planned on riding last year but last minute did Grimsel and Furka instead). Thinking it would be great for my father to experience some of the larger swiss passes (like Susten), but it could also be nice to take the more central, smaller (I'm assuming) passes through the country. Really on the fence here.
I like option 1. Nobody (outside of locals) seems to know about the Acherli - lovely ride. I assume that you're going to make the route from Schwyz to Glaurus over the Pragel pass. If so, be aware that the Pragel is closed to motor vehicles on weekends.

Re: the Acherli & Pragel - see my comments on the Manghen.

Quote:
8) Any suggestions for our route to see the Neuschwanstein castle in Germany and then up to Munich for the end of the trip?
Buy your tickets online - killer lines at the site to get tickets.
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Old 08-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #33
Krime OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Thanks again Michael. I've modified my routes even more throughly now, taking you up on many of your recommendations.

Part 1 (revised):

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=T...ia=12&t=m&z=10

Part 2 (unchanged):

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Gr...mra=ls&t=m&z=8

Part 3 (revised):

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr...via=9&t=m&z=10

Now the issue... I'm at 3,100kms and that doesn't include many dolomite pass runs either, only a very small loop. Our bikes have a 3000km max, then we start paying per km - we're expecting we'll go over a couple hundred km's, but I'll likely need to trim some sections overall to make it work!
Krime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #34
Krime OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
And then there's this place:

about 5 kms east of Storo.

There used to be room to park 4 or 5 bikes beside the road, but it was roped off this year

Nice place to cool off: Short Video
Very cool. Is this place on ss240 just before you approach Storo? Is it obvious to spot off the road?

This reminds me - we're looking for natural hot springs along our route. Any recommendations?
Old 08-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #35
Krime OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
A couple of those are the Grands Goulets:

Now bypassed by a lovely tunnel

One of the others looks like the Combe de Laval just before the Col de la Machine.
Horrible news! Looks like it's been closed for good for the last 10 years or so. I researched the Vercors in more detail and discovered 2 additional gorges (in addition to de la Bourne) I'm really excited about - Combe de Laval as you mentioned above and Gorges du Nant. They look like the next best option to Grands Goulets.

Quote:
I like option 1. Nobody (outside of locals) seems to know about the Acherli - lovely ride. I assume that you're going to make the route from Schwyz to Glaurus over the Pragel pass. If so, be aware that the Pragel is closed to motor vehicles on weekends.
Done. Since I want it all, I've added in the sustenpass - furka - grimsel pass as a loop to do as well. Kicking myself for missing last years Rhone Glacier tunnel walk, so I'd love to get the chance this time around.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:03 AM   #36
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Very cool. Is this place on ss240 just before you approach Storo? Is it obvious to spot off the road?
SS240 about 5kms east of Storo. The pic was taken from the road looking north (on a small bridge, actually). It's really only visible from the bridge.

45°50'35.98"N, 10°37'13.23"E
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Old 08-27-2013, 06:17 AM   #37
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Now the issue... I'm at 3,100kms and that doesn't include many dolomite pass runs either, only a very small loop. Our bikes have a 3000km max, then we start paying per km...
See if your renter will either boost his daily limit or give you an unlimited KM option. I know that BiancoBlu out of Milano has no km limits.

Also, Moto Center Bern (& Thun) in Switzerland have a package, for an additional 30% of the main rental, that has unlimited kms along with some other stuff.
Michael J. - IBA #3901

MichaelJ screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 06:23 AM
Old 08-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #38
g®eg
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,302
Quote:
4) Not thrilled about taking ss38 from Aprica to Morbegno - I took this route before and it was congested with traffic (as discussed in previous posts). Wondering if I'm better instead to head from Breno West to Clusone - San Giovanni Bianco (instead of north to Edolo) and then north to Morbegno? Looks like there would be many winding passes instead of the long run West on ss38
edit... I need to read the WHOLE thread first....
I see in your latest plan you delete Vivione... very sad

might I suggest:

the descent into Schilpario (a taste) from last year

LINK

Schilpario is a favorite & the pass as well.
if you happen to stay in Schilpario I highly recommend: Albergo Edelweiss

Might I suggest when you get to breno you go north up the SS 42 and take the pass the other way into Schilpario.
From there continue on the SS 294 south & west to SP 46. Get on SS 470 near Antea north and then the SP 8 will take you north to Morbegno over Passo di San Marco. (hopefully not snowy)

Try to see the world beyond your front door.

g®eg screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 10:45 AM
g®eg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #39
Krime OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by g®eg View Post
edit... I need to read the WHOLE thread first....

might I suggest:

the descent into Schilpario (a taste) from last year

LINK

Schilpario is a favorite & the pass as well.
if you happen to stay in Schilpario I highly recommend: Albergo Edelweiss
Good to see you again Greg. Appreciate these tips... after watching that video we have no choice but to hit Schilpario. ;) I've modified the route accordingly:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=T...ra=ls&t=m&z=10

Appreciate the hotel reco as well, the place looks great although I can't find any prices online.

Krime screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 09:26 PM
Old 08-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #40
Krime OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
SS240 about 5kms east of Storo. The pic was taken from the road looking north (on a small bridge, actually). It's really only visible from the bridge.

45°50'35.98"N, 10°37'13.23"E
Awesome. That pic looks like a great spot to throw on the bathing suit and jump in... although I'm imagining the water must be freezing coming from the mountains. ;)
Old 08-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #41
Krime OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
See if your renter will either boost his daily limit or give you an unlimited KM option. I know that BiancoBlu out of Milano has no km limits.
Yeah, tried that but no luck. We've got 3000kms for 2 weeks, although we'll be using the bike for just over 12 days. The deal was too good to pass up... worst case if we tack on the extra km's it should break even to what the other places are charging for unlimited km's. A bigger concern with racking up the kilometres is the amount of time we'll have to do it all - it'll make the days pretty busy.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:32 AM   #42
g®eg
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,302
Quote:
Good to see you again Greg. Appreciate these tips... after watching that video we have no choice but to hit Schilpario. ;) I've modified the route accordingly:

Appreciate the hotel reco as well, the place looks great although I can't find any prices online.
cool!

I am trying to remember what we paid... maybe €60?
we were the only ones staying there both times, and the place looks like it was just renovated... really nice

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g®eg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:35 AM   #43
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by g®eg View Post
+1 - great video - thanks.
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Old 08-29-2013, 01:08 AM   #44
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,487
Quote:
Yeah, tried that but no luck. We've got 3000kms for 2 weeks, although we'll be using the bike for just over 12 days. The deal was too good to pass up... worst case if we tack on the extra km's it should break even to what the other places are charging for unlimited km's. A bigger concern with racking up the kilometres is the amount of time we'll have to do it all - it'll make the days pretty busy.
This would help trim a few kms. and add some very nice riding: instead of going all the way to Thonon-Les-Bains and along the lake, turn east just after La Forclaz onto D22, up through Abondance to Chatel and down to Monthey before getting to Aigle. The road along the lake is always slow due to traffic and endless little towns. IMO, Lake Leman/Geneva isn't that special that you can't give it a miss.

I love Lake Como, but the traffic on the west side can be very heavy and the road is about a million years old. At many points, two lorries can't pass each other. Got stuck in that a couple times and then watched the precision ballet take place, inch by inch.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #45
Krime OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Any hotel recommendations along the routes would be appreciated.

Here's the latest routes:

part 1:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=T...&sz=11&t=m&z=7

part 2:

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Gr...mra=ls&t=m&z=9

Part 3:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr...via=9&t=m&z=10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post
This would help trim a few kms. and add some very nice riding: instead of going all the way to Thonon-Les-Bains and along the lake, turn east just after La Forclaz onto D22, up through Abondance to Chatel and down to Monthey before getting to Aigle. The road along the lake is always slow due to traffic and endless little towns. IMO, Lake Leman/Geneva isn't that special that you can't give it a miss.
Thanks for the tip, sounds good to me. I know from my experience last year along the Bodensee from Austria into Germany on the east side, it was nothing but traffic and I regretted it right away. Was also thinking to shorten it even further, I could get off the D332 through Biot across the D32, then back to the D22.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post
I love Lake Como, but the traffic on the west side can be very heavy and the road is about a million years old. At many points, two lorries can't pass each other. Got stuck in that a couple times and then watched the precision ballet take place, inch by inch.
Last year we hit the east side, stayed in Bellano, and then headed down to Verenna for lunch before heading back north. It was a nice ride, so why not continue all the way down this time? I've adjusted the route so we're now heading down the east side.