Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #46
Krime OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by geg View Post
cool!

I am trying to remember what we paid... maybe 60?
we were the only ones staying there both times, and the place looks like it was just renovated... really nice
Sounds awesome.
Krime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:21 AM   #47
geg
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krime View Post
Sounds awesome.
they don't speak any English & my Italian is rubbish....
but it didn't matter at all. in fact we found the place in pouring rain in 2011 completely by accident (too cold & wet to keep riding.. lets stop), liked it so much we planned the route to go to Schilpario in 2012. When we got to the hotel the owner remembered us from the year before with a gesture about rain & comments that now the sun shines... good people.

if you decide to stay in the region of Riva / Torbole at the top of Lake Garda, I highly recommend Hotel Santoni Freestyle. It is owned by the family of the guy who runs our sailcloth operation in Italy, not exactly cheap (about 100) but the BEST breakfast ever, a really nice lounge / bar, and walking distance to downtown Torbole (which is pretty nice place to hang out and have dinner etc).

we also stayed here Hotel Les Glaciers in Bramans, which is along your route. Pretty nice place, older, but with half-board & a really nice dinner. Locked garage across the street, etc. But a very quiet place. So you're kind of "at the hotel" and that's about it. It was snowing on the Col du Gabilier that day for us, so "at the hotel" was OK

that's all I got.... looking forward to your pics.. note to self: have to up my game on the snaps this year

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
geg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:18 AM   #48
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,035
Quote:
Any hotel recommendations along the routes would be appreciated.
Hotels I have stayed in and would stay in again. * indicates a place that I would actively go back to.

Arabba / Corvara in Badia - *Hotel Evaldo* & Olympia / Hotel Table.
I LIKE the Evaldo - a bit pricey (it's a 4 star), but if you're gonna splurge once, this is the place.

Trento - *Hotel Sporting Trento*. Modern, cheap & clean. On SW side of town - no need to mess with city traffic.

Ponte Cafarro (north end of Lago d'Idro - Albergo Al Pescatore

Prestine (Passo di Croce Domini road) - Hotel Oasi Verde

Barcelonnette - Hotels Azteca & Cheval Blanc

Villars sur Ollon - Hotel Alpe Fleurie

Rencurel - Le Marrionier

Andermatt - Monopol, Sonne, Bergidyll. I've not heard good things about the Aurora.

Schaan (just north of Vaduz) - Hotel Duc - high up on side of hill - great view from terrace.

Not a hotel, and it adds about 12 kms to your route but - if the traffic along Como's road is bad, consider heading uphill from Bellano on SP62 to Lecco. Great road and no traffic. Bonus - nice cafe on hillside just above Bellano on the inside of a curve - lunch with a good lake view.

Also: Liechtenstein Passport Stamp kiosk in Vaduz (as of 2007) 47 8'24.38"N, 931'18.14"E

Be the first kid on your block to have one.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:25 AM   #49
geg
Canadian living in exile

oh I dunno.. stayed at Aurora a few times, and its always been nice / OK
stayed here once in Andermatt, Hotel Bergidyll it was OK too.

everything's so bloody expensive in Switzerland though that it seems to skew my scale of what's GREAT vs OK.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #50
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geg View Post
everything's so bloody expensive in Switzerland though that it seems to skew my scale of what's GREAT vs OK.
There is that.

Pretty, though. Someone's got to pay the elves to keep the hillsides neat and clean - guess that us tourists got nominated.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #51
geg
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
There is that.

Pretty, though. Someone's got to pay the elves to keep the hillsides neat and clean - guess that us tourists got nominated.

LOL

we're gonna check out the Pyrenees this year (just for a change of pace).

Old 08-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #52
Edder B
Meister Poser

Oddometer: 350
Hey Krime,

I've done this area several times heading out of Munich. Here are some of my suggestions.

From Munich take the A95 south, less traffic than the A8, to Oberau. Turn there to Oberammergau (nice monastery there). After Oberammergau turn left towards Lindenhof/Plansee/Ruete. Lindenhof is one of King Ludwig's castles. From Ruete head south to Fernpass to Imst then onto Timmelsjoch. From Meran you can head east to the Dolimites. No bad roads over there.

In Switzerland I would suggest spending a day in Andermatt. You can ride 5 passes in a day from there; St Gotthard, Oberalpass, Nufenpass, Grimselpass, and Sustenpass.

I've done the Route des Grande Alps and its great.

If you go north of Briancon theres a great pass called Gilibier.

Enjoy your trip. I love that area of the world.

"If you try to pass me you will die. I ride at the limit". Sigi Hoffman.

Triumph Tiger Explorer, Triumph Scrambler
Edder B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #53
roamer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
I can't believe the timing of this thread. I'm heading over to ride the Dolomites next week. This is great info, thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Old 08-31-2013, 05:47 AM   #54
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edder B View Post
In Switzerland I would suggest spending a day in Andermatt. You can ride 5 passes in a day from there; St Gotthard, Oberalpass, Nufenpass, Grimselpass, and Sustenpass.
The Dolomiti rule here. On July 18th, starting & ending in Arabba (out by 09:30, back by 17:00):

Campolongo, Gardena, Sella, Pordoi, Fedaia, Costalunga, Nigra, Lavaze, Oclini, Pramadiccio, San Pellegrino, Valles, Rolle, Cereda, Aurine, Franche, Duran & Staulanza.

I would have also done Giau, Falzarego & Valparola, but there were active T-Storms on top and I opted to stay low.

(Pic taken in Austria)
Old 09-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #55
Krime OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you Greg and Micheal for the hotel tips. I've got them all written down and will have a look while on route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edder B View Post
Hey Krime,

I've done this area several times heading out of Munich. Here are some of my suggestions.

From Munich take the A95 south, less traffic than the A8, to Oberau. Turn there to Oberammergau (nice monastery there). After Oberammergau turn left towards Lindenhof/Plansee/Ruete. Lindenhof is one of King Ludwig's castles. From Ruete head south to Fernpass to Imst then onto Timmelsjoch. From Meran you can head east to the Dolimites. No bad roads over there.

I've done the Route des Grande Alps and its great.

If you go north of Briancon theres a great pass called Gilibier.

Enjoy your trip. I love that area of the world.
Thanks for the tips. I'm using your route from Munich for the end of the ride on our way back - after visiting the Nueswanstein Castle, will get across to visit Linderhof Castle as well (what you were referring too - thanks for that). On our way down from Munich at the start of the trip, Thinking I'll stick with Brenner for the time being, as I've really gotta watch the km's.

For Switzerland, I've got most of those passes covered, with the exception of Oberalpass which I covered last year. Galibier in the Grande Alpes route is also covered.

I've finished adding the waypoints and routes through Basecamp. Quick question in regards to the Dolomites. Heading to the Manghen Pass south of Molina - what's the better route from Arabba, sticking on Sp232 which goes down on a diagonal, or heading over to Ponte Nova di Sopra and then down, as I've mapped out below?

Old 09-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #56
geg
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
Thank you Greg and Micheal for the hotel tips. I've got them all written down and will have a look while on route.
no worries

Quote:
I've finished adding the waypoints and routes through Basecamp. Quick question in regards to the Dolomites. Heading to the Manghen Pass south of Molina - what's the better route from Arabba, sticking on Sp232 which goes down on a diagonal, or heading over to Ponte Nova di Sopra and then down, as I've mapped out below?

I've been the other way, the SS48 / SP232 / SS612 down towards Trento.
Not a bad road, we had pretty light traffic, and as I recall a pretty flowing road along a river valley.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #57
Edder B
Meister Poser

Oddometer: 350
Quote:

That route looks very good. The only other suggestion, which would add about 60 miles, would be to head east from Arabba to Cernadoi then south to Caprile and then west on SP641 over the Fedaia pass then back into your route. But then again, that would add more milage and if time and distance are an issue then your route is excellent .

"If you try to pass me you will die. I ride at the limit". Sigi Hoffman.

Triumph Tiger Explorer, Triumph Scrambler
Edder B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #58
Krime OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guys. Arrived in Munich today and ready to head out tomorrow to pick up the bikes. Speak to you all soon. The adventure begins....
Old 09-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #59
Bryn
Leicester England

Oddometer: 305
Probably a bit late with this suggestion, but if you want somewhere close to the Grossglockner. ( looks like its more or less on your route)

You could try Gasthof Hochalmspitze for an overnight...custom made for Bikes

Tell John &Ros Bryn said Hi

http://www.hochalmspitze.com/
Old 09-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #60
geg
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
Thanks guys. Arrived in Munich today and ready to head out tomorrow to pick up the bikes. Speak to you all soon. The adventure begins....
Safe journey! Off to Barcelona Sunday for us. We will have to compare notes.