Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,343
Document checks at mexican border heading north?

I'm in an interesting situation with my bike. It's a mexican plated bike, but the ownership documents are in dispute due to some serious incompetence in the licensing office here in Colima. I have plates, I have a poder ejecutivo in my name as well as the mexican factura and pedimento. I need to take the bike back to the US with me, but the ownership is still tied up in the court here for another 3-6 months during which I've been told that I can't sell it (nor export it formally, I assume). They originally told me in January that it would take 3-6 months, so now that it's been 7 I went back to check on it and it seems that it fell through the cracks somewhere and nobody actually did anything on it. Now they're saying another 3-6 months. Sorry, Mexico, you snooze you lose. I tried to play by the rules, but you fucked up. Now I'm just going to leave with it. Can anyone tell me what document checks are performed on the Mexican side heading north? Can anyone suggest the quietest, most unsophisticated border crossing possible? I'll get my documents checked crossing into the border region 50 or so miles from the border. The poder ejecutivo should pass there no problem. Will they check anything else on the vehicle at the actual border when leaving mexico? No TVIP to cancel, so I can just get my passport stamped and ride right through, right?

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,702
I don't recall hitting any checkpoints in the mainland as I was heading south but I stuck mostly to the libres and dirt.

I have no experience with the paperwork you're using so I can't comment. Are you saying that you have all the necessary docs but if one were to look the bike up in a database (assuming this is possible) there would be a red flag??

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
I have no experience with the paperwork you're using so I can't comment. Are you saying that you have all the necessary docs but if one were to look the bike up in a database (assuming this is possible) there would be a red flag??
Sorta. I don't have a tarjeta de circulacion, the mexican equivalent of a registration. I DO have a power of attorney, the factura (mexican equivalent of a title) as well as the original pedimento de importacion (proving that it was imported legally). I think (but I could be wrong) that the only national database is for stolen vehicles, where mine would not show up. I'm just trying to get a feel for the kind of document checks performed heading north. Is it the kind of thing where only foreign vehicles stop voluntarily in order to get their TVIP deposits back and everyone else passes, or do northbound mexican plated vehicles get checked out in any way on the mexican side?

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,366
Last year I crossed Mexico from south to north with Guatemalan license plates and I never got asked for any bike documents (except for the entering point).
I checked my bike out of Mexico at the Banjercito in Agua Prieta , but I actually crossed the border in Naco . At the border itself nobody asked me for any bike papers, just Migracion .
Old 08-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Sorta. I don't have a tarjeta de circulacion, the mexican equivalent of a registration. I DO have a power of attorney, the factura (mexican equivalent of a title) as well as the original pedimento de importacion (proving that it was imported legally). I think (but I could be wrong) that the only national database is for stolen vehicles, where mine would not show up. I'm just trying to get a feel for the kind of document checks performed heading north. Is it the kind of thing where only foreign vehicles stop voluntarily in order to get their TVIP deposits back and everyone else passes, or do northbound mexican plated vehicles get checked out in any way on the mexican side?
I don't know how good the Mexican databases are now on the aduana side of things but it seems to me you're going to have a time getting the bike into the states, no? Do you have a place you can leave the bike and retrieve at a later date?

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Old 08-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
I don't know how good the Mexican databases are now on the aduana side of things but it seems to me you're going to have a time getting the bike into the states, no? Do you have a place you can leave the bike and retrieve at a later date?
The bike originally came from the US. It was exported in early 2000, so it's built to US standards (DOT, EPA, etc). Once there I can pull the plates, apply for a lost title in Washington and get a provisional registration for 2 years. If within that time nobody else claims it, washington will issue a new title in my name. We'll see though. Worst case scenario, I buy a titled frame and swap all the parts over. (sucks, but it wouldn't be the first time).

Old 08-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,304
Among your best contacts might be inmates SR and Kiko

Send them a PM with a link to this tale

SR lives in Durango (city and state), Kiko in Jalisco

Both have moved bikes across the border in both directions many times
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
The bike originally came from the US. It was exported in early 2000, so it's built to US standards (DOT, EPA, etc). Once there I can pull the plates, apply for a lost title in Washington and get a provisional registration for 2 years. If within that time nobody else claims it, washington will issue a new title in my name. We'll see though. Worst case scenario, I buy a titled frame and swap all the parts over. (sucks, but it wouldn't be the first time).
Good luck, my guess is you're going to have a hard time getting the bike back across the border with that paperwork. Hopefully you can find someone who's had real experience doing so and can get better intel.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Old 08-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #9
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
I've crossed into the States with and without stopping on the Mexican side. Choose a border crossing with no banjercito and breeze right through.....

...until you get to the 'Merkin side. If you've got US plates, no one checks bike documents (in my experience). If Mexican plates, who knows? No guarantees in either case.

Did that answer one or more of your questions?

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #10
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,725
What is a banjercito?
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:32 AM   #11
garrydymond
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
I have never been asked for documents for vehicles when crossing from Mexico to the States. I have crossed about 6 times on bikes and around 25 times by car.
If you need to get a tarjeta de Circulación you could contct Baloo at baloo.motolatino@yahoo.com.mx his phone number is 59489942 (Mexico City number) He got me a Tarjeta de Circulación for a Peruvian bike someone left at my house. It cost me a thousand pesos. He may want proof of address in Mexico City which I could get for you.
Hope this helps. send me a PM if you need more details.

Garry
Old 08-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #12
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

I've never been asked for bike documents coming from Mexico to the states either but I've always been on bikes with US tags/registration. And that's numerous crossings through the Tijuana, Tecate, Mexicali, and the truck crossing borders.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Old 08-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #13
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
What is a banjercito?
A small banjer
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #14
pax maac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
I have a bike that I bought in the US and then nationalized in Mexico, so I have Estado de Mexico plates and a circulation card.

Leaving Mexico to go to the US with a Mexican vehicle you don't have to do anything regarding the vehicle (as of the last time I did it, a year ago). Just get in line to cross to the US. Show your passport and you're good. I did have to check out with Mexican immigration due to my FM, but that has nothing to do with your vehicle. You could be crossing in a car, moto or on foot but they don't ask.

Mexico doesn't care and neither has the US in my experience.

You should be able to just ride it across with no issue.

Why would you get your documents checked 50 miles from the border? I usually just ride up the cuotas from the DF to Nuevo Laredo and have never had any documents checked, unless stopped by the police. AFAIK, you have no obligation to check the bike out or anything like that. Just ride it across.
pax maac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #15
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
A small banjer
fucker.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust