Oddometer: 8,370
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #17
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
In several dozen times crossing the border with Mexican plates I've been asked a few times who owns the vehicle, and maybe twice that I can recall, I've been asked to show the registration. When asked for registration papers I was driving a higher end new vehicle. Most of the time I'm driving an old beater. Sometimes they ask how long I've owned the vehicle?

Northbound vehicles do not get checked in any way on the Mexican side.
So you don't see any reason that I couldn't just cross the border into the US, apply for a lost title (it was originally titled in CA) and get it plated in the states?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
A small banjer
nice.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #18
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Yeh, I'd be concerned about my ability to travel in the USA without current registration and documents to prove it. But then, I'm not very adventurous that way.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:39 AM   #19
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,590
I never stop on the Mexican side of the border whether I am legal or not. Just ride on thru. On the US side, do not volunteer any information. Have your passport in hand, take your helmet off, and look them in the eye.

If US customs want to see your Mexican docs then just show the docs. If they ask, tell them you are visiting the 25 mile free trade zone. At the interior checkpoint I've never been questioned about the vehicle.

If you hit a snag, then it is 'catch and release' so try another bridge.

State police may want to see US proof of liability insurance, but that is available at the border.

I like the Colombia bridge crossing as they get mostly truck traffic and seem to be more lax with individuals.

I see no issues on the Mexican side, just possibly on the US side.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #20
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
So you don't see any reason that I couldn't just cross the border into the US, apply for a lost title (it was originally titled in CA) and get it plated in the states?
Other than at the border, authorities on both sides might not be able to agree on which direction to deport you
Old 08-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #21
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,422
what do you intend to tell US Customs when they ask you where you are going?

Do not cross at Nogales as there is a large official Mexican checkpoint on the highway north.

Naco is no problem, Agua Prieta is no problem and San Luis Rio Colorado is also no problem.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #22
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
what do you intend to tell US Customs when they ask you where you are going
The truth. Seattle. I have a WA state drivers license. They should believe it. I can produce enough mexican documentation with both the VIN and my name on it that they should be convinced that the bike's mine. Thanks for the crossing recommendations.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #23
quadman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
crossing with mx plated bike

Forget the mexican side of the border....it is not a problem. When you get to the US crossing ride to the front of the line....it is an accepted custom. Ride up to the US border agent, hand over your passport, remove helmet, answer questions, WHEN they ask about the Mexican plate just say you have a casa down here (mexico). That ends the questions....ride on. I've done this crossing with MX plated vehicles 5 times this year...it is simply not a problem.
DON'T worry......nobody cares!
quadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #24
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
I'll be looking forward to seeing this exotic beast (the bike, not the OP) in person somewhere within range of my hometown, Bellingham WA. Good luck.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #25
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post
I'll be looking forward to seeing this exotic beast (the bike, not the OP)
I like to think of myself as an exotic beast also. Actually, the lady and I were thinking of moving to Bellingham, among other places. Seattle's just getting too expensive and for me not worth it. The traffic doesn't help either.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:33 AM   #26
Klutch
gringo goatrider

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
I never stop on the Mexican side of the border whether I am legal or not. Just ride on thru. On the US side, do not volunteer any information. Have your passport in hand, take your helmet off, and look them in the eye.

If US customs want to see your Mexican docs then just show the docs. If they ask, tell them you are visiting the 25 mile free trade zone. At the interior checkpoint I've never been questioned about the vehicle.

If you hit a snag, then it is 'catch and release' so try another bridge.

State police may want to see US proof of liability insurance, but that is available at the border.

I like the Colombia bridge crossing as they get mostly truck traffic and seem to be more lax with individuals.

I see no issues on the Mexican side, just possibly on the US side.

I've had the same experiences as Kiko. I prefer the Piedras Negras-Eagle Pass crossing but haven't had any problems at any of them.
Once your back in the US the worst case scenario is a violation for non-current registration but law enforcement in the US understands to common sense explanations and usually will just send you on your way home.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:56 AM   #27
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtsandbagger View Post
law enforcement in the US understands to common sense explanations and usually will just send you on your way home.
Uh-oh

This could open up a can of worms
Old 08-23-2013, 05:21 AM   #28
El Stigo
Hey Ese its EL STIGO

Oddometer: 317
Airhead, you riding the bike out?

Make sure paperwork matches VIN, keep it with you and you`ll be fine.

One thing to remember is your insurance for the US..that´s it. I have crossed and crossed dozens of people on bikes and they never get checked by police unless they are breaking the law .

US Customs might ask for your paperwork but you said you have that.

The worst thing that could happen is a that some crazy Nayarit police chief will capture you and the bike and turn you into a motorcycle cop for a few years!..

Have a nice ride.

El Stigo
First motorcycle experience. Dads, 40 something HD knucklehead it was 1966 he was 22 and my first recorded photo on a bike taken at 2 yrs. Thanks for raising me on the back of your bikes and teaching me to ride my dirt bike 35 years ago!
El Stigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:25 AM   #29
El Stigo
Hey Ese its EL STIGO

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post

nice.
From my experience in CALIF you want to have them put it as a NON OP then re title it. Then you pay no back penalties, etc. Show them the paperwork to prove it has not been in Mexico and not on CALIF or US roads and you should be fine.

GLW everthing!

El Stigo
First motorcycle experience. Dads, 40 something HD knucklehead it was 1966 he was 22 and my first recorded photo on a bike taken at 2 yrs. Thanks for raising me on the back of your bikes and teaching me to ride my dirt bike 35 years ago!
El Stigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #30
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,453
To ride out of Mexico going north OR south you do nothing, just leave. No one checks anything at all.

Coming in to USA no vehicle paperwork is checked, you will need your passport that is all. If they ask about the vehicle just tell them the truth, they aren't Customs, they could give a rats ass. Just ride up to the passport check kiosk at USA and tell them your story if they ask.

Going south you are screwed............entering Guat without paper.....although I did it in a VW bug not in my name, but that was a LONG time ago.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote