Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
minton82 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Caliper Sliding Mount Pins Locked Up

Hi everyone,

I went to change my F658GS front brake pads and ended up giving myself a massive headache. It turned out the caliper sliding mount section had locked up and wouldn't move to allow the new fatter pads to be inserted.

Had to take it to the local mechanic. After a lot of hammer action on my expensive caliper he brought out the gas torch. Eventually the thing came loose and was able to re-lube it. The problem is, the rubber seals for the sliding mount were destroyed in the process.

Has anyone had this problem before?

Should I try and find some more rubber seals, or will regular lubrication of the mount pins be ok?

And finally, does the F658GS use the same caliper as the F800GS (right side)?
minton82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by minton82 View Post
Hi everyone,

I went to change my F658GS front brake pads and ended up giving myself a massive headache. It turned out the caliper sliding mount section had locked up and wouldn't move to allow the new fatter pads to be inserted.

Had to take it to the local mechanic. After a lot of hammer action on my expensive caliper he brought out the gas torch. Eventually the thing came loose and was able to re-lube it. The problem is, the rubber seals for the sliding mount were destroyed in the process.

Has anyone had this problem before?

Should I try and find some more rubber seals, or will regular lubrication of the mount pins be ok?

And finally, does the F658GS use the same caliper as the F800GS (right side)?
Yes you need to get new boots (seals). And yes lube it regularly anyway, each time you re-tire. And yes I think the 658 and 800 use the same caliper. My wife's 658 uses the same brake pads as my 800 I know for sure. As I just bought some yesterday. I've never had one froze that bad, they have gotten dry and not moving real good, (on other bikes not the GS's) but never froze like that. How many miles and do you ride a lot of wet nasty stuff?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
minton82 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Hi sieg,

I'm having trouble sourcing new boots/seals..

It's a 2010 658 and has done about 42,000km - only 10,000 of that have been by myself. I know the previous owner, and he and I both haven't done a lot of off-road so it seems a bit odd for it to freeze up like this.

Would this product be good for keeping it moving ok?

http://www.abrocanada.com/index.php?..._category_id=1

minton82 screwed with this post 08-09-2013 at 12:44 AM Reason: After reading up on lubricants I changed the link to a better product
minton82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:46 AM   #4
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
I've got 52K miles on my mine. I ride it year round, if there is no ice. I will say I've had issues with the slider pins on the front caliper rusting/seizing. I now just take them apart, 3M scotchbrite pad the rust off and re-grease them annually. I also service the rear caliper but it always seems to be in better condition.

I suspect it's not entirely the water XCings that is doing it, but maybe more road spray is worse on the front?
Same problem here...
Old 08-09-2013, 05:24 AM   #5
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minton82 View Post
Hi sieg,

I'm having trouble sourcing new boots/seals..

It's a 2010 658 and has done about 42,000km - only 10,000 of that have been by myself. I know the previous owner, and he and I both haven't done a lot of off-road so it seems a bit odd for it to freeze up like this.

Would this product be good for keeping it moving ok?

http://www.abrocanada.com/index.php?..._category_id=1
Ask for 34 21 2 330 312 repair kit, rubber cover, $29.50 at your local BMW shop!

I use the same good quality grease that is in my grease gun here on the farm, nothing special. Anything at all should be fine, it don't move much and it is sealed so it doesn't need to be high temp, or high speed. Anti seize may work too IDK.
Since there seems to be issues as Dorito had problem I will watch mine and the wife's more carefully. All was good when I replaced the pads, maybe someone was slacking at the factory and missed greasing some. Ours are both 2010's what year is yours Dorito? 658 or 800?
Old 08-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
. Ours are both 2010's what year is yours Dorito? 658 or 800?
Mine is a 2010; 658
Old 08-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,042
Get an anti-seize "crayon" at any auto parts shop. Same thing you use on spark plug threads. Or some light copper paste that you usually use on the back of the new pads. Coat the pin. You will never have another problem.
The pins have a collar on them that should also allow it to rotate so you can put the little security clip back in easily. Odd that the whole mess would seize like that.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Get an anti-seize "crayon" at any auto parts shop. Same thing you use on spark plug threads. Or some light copper paste that you usually use on the back of the new pads. Coat the pin. You will never have another problem.
The pins have a collar on them that should also allow it to rotate so you can put the little security clip back in easily. Odd that the whole mess would seize like that.
I don't think your talking about he same pin
Old 08-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
I don't think your talking about he same pin
You're right.
Thanks.
At least if you use the crayon on the pins holding the pads in place, you will have one less worry, too.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #10
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,065
I bought a used 2010 F800GS last fall, one of my only complaints was the front brakes, the lever travel was so much, it would pinch my 2 outside fingers between the lever and bars when I used a 2 finger technique, which I had been using for years. I bleed the brakes shortly after I bought it, and it didn't help. So I just thought it was normal and comming off the very powerful servo brakes on my previous BMW, something I would have to get use to.

Well I rented a F800GS in San Francisco a month ago and the brakes were MUCH firmer. So when I got home I set out to make mine equivalent. First I flushed the fluid, it was due any way, no difference, then I remembered my wife's 01 F650gs having the pin bind, and when I cleaned and lubed it she commented that the lever was harder to reach (small hands), so I checked mine. They would slide and seemed to be pretty free, but I pulled them apart anyway, sure enough there was some corrosion on the pins. I cleaned and lubed them, and now I am a happy camper, brakes much firmer and lots of room for my fingers even when standing it on its nose!

So even if NOT seized, when they are not clean and lubed they will effect the braking. It will become a routine maintenance thing for me.
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #11
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 942
I think I'd also recommend anti-seize over grease in this case. That's what I've been using and I think it has a little better "staying power".

Dave