User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #61
txplants
Pastafarian

Oddometer: 280
Still with ya!

Thanks for the update! What a neat journey for your dad; down memory lane... and up to Prudhoe Bay and back with his son. Goes without saying a memorable journey for you too. Just awesome!
txplants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #62
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,417
Excellent!
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #63
isaac004 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
Day 15, July 11, 407 miles, Fairbanks AK to Dawson YT

We hit the road that morning with clouds overhead. At one point a bird cross my path, hit the side of my engine, then bounced off and hit my boot. Very odd.

We also saw a large female moose on the side of the road.

We met a rider on a DR650 from Florida who was heading to Chicken and chatted for a few minutes. Lunch was a small cafe in Tok. It was decent, but took forever to receive the food after ordering. Tok is said to be a hitch hikers hell. Easy to hitch into Tok, but very difficult to hitch out of Tok.

Heading out towards Chicken, the skies showed signs of rain. You can see where fresh rain had left obvious wet boundaries on the road.

Lucky for us the clouds broke fast and it became a nice partly cloudy day.

By the time we hit Chicken, it was nice and sunny. The roads up to here were in great shape.

We took a right into town and had to grab a photo here:

Filled the bikes up, and stopped for a quick break. We briefly spoke with a few riders from Nevada and Anchorage, riding a DR650 and a BMW R1200 It was here I also picked up a new mascot for my bike, to be shown later.

Outhouse is in style.

We then hit the Top of the World Highway. The first section from Chicken to the border was in great shape for bikes. Very hard and fast. Not so great for cars and RV’s, as it was a bit washboarded. You can miss most washboards on the bike or ride fast enough to not notice them, but they aren’t easily avoided by the cagers.

We did see a lot of RV’s heading west, but did not see many at all going east with us. Great for us, less things to worry about passing!

This Top of the World Highway is quite nice indeed!

We then reached the border crossing. Here it is from a far.

With one car in front of us, I had a few minutes to pull to the side and photograph the old US border post. I got some weird looks from the US agents since I had stepped out of the official line, and had to explain to them I was still in line to get into Canada.

After the car in front of us, the border guard waved both of us forward. After a few questions, he decided we both needed to be thoroughly searched. Off came the jackets, and he even took a look at our waist line and inside the boot cuffs. Then he rummaged through every bag on the bike. What he was looking for, we did not know. Usually getting into Canada is easy as a tourist! After enough searching, he was content and gave us the clearance to proceed. Since we had to take 5-10 minutes to seal back up all the luggage and suit back up, we tried making small talk with the guard. Now that we had finished the screening process, he was free to talk in a more relaxed manner and even joke a little bit. They usually search about 10 cars per day, but since a motorcycle rider earlier that day lied (and got caught) about bringing in alcohol they felt compelled to search us as well. Many think that these guards are sent to this outpost as punishment since it is out in the middle of nowhere and is the northern most border post in North America. He actually said the guards prefer to be at this post because it is the most relaxed and has the best views.

Officially in Yukon now!

While the US side of the Top of the Word Highway was in pretty good shape for a bike, the Canada side was even better and was good for even cagers. Temps were perfect in the low 70’s as well.

We then dropped down towards the Yukon River into Dawson, with a great view of town. We went right into line for the ferry and rode onto the first one. It is interesting watching the ferry power across this fast moving river. Looking at the angle it has to steer upstream to compensate for the flow tells you it has some pretty powerful engines.

Here is a video clip while on the ferry:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/isaac_e...7634924353152/

We rode around town a few times but did not find a satisfactory looking motel with parking out front. We rode a few minutes south of downtown and found a motel with parking out front. Score! We discovered that if you show up after the receptionist leaves, they leave a list of rooms open and the keys out front, so you can still take a room and just pay in the morning. Wow, we really are out in the middle of nowhere! For those riding through, Bonanza Gold Motel offers a pretty good room.

It was 7:30pm by the time we settled in, after topping off the tanks next door. Since we were beat, we just ordered in Chinese. Yes, you can get Chinese food delivered in Dawson City.

During the usual evening bike maintenance, I installed the new mascot I picked up earlier in Chicken.

GPS tracks for the day.
isaac004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #64
lqgsrider
LQDesert Rider

Oddometer: 358
Thanks for posting nice RR
lqgsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #65
pwducati
Adventurer

Oddometer: 7
The "Homestead"

Hi Isaac:
The child in the homestead pictures is my brother, Gerry.
He is about ten years old there. I was much too young at that time for it to be me!!

Jeff, the current owner of the "homestead", is the fourth owner.
My parents built the house, then sold it to a single man who later sold the house to Jeff's parents.
Jeff's mother then gave the house to him when she retired to the lower forty-eight.
Probably the viewers of this ride report have not much interest in this minutia, but I thought I would set the record straight.
pwducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #66
isaac004 OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 16, July 12, 331 miles, Dawson YT to Whitehorse YT

Another perfect morning to start the day, just cool enough to break out the heated gear.

There were a few gravel spots from construction as we head SE. We passed an RV at one of these areas as it was going slow, but afterwards he sped up quite a bit and hung on our tails. We were cruising at 65-70mph and he was right there with us, working it in the curves to keep with us. Not sure if he was mad or just wanted to drive that thing fast.

A large female moose was also spotted on the side of the road. They are massive, I can’t imagine hitting one in a car or a bike!

At one of our rest stops we came across a German family on tour. The husband and wife had shipped their F700GS’s (or F650GS twin) from the Black Forest area of Germany to New York, and had ridden through Alaska on their long way to South America. Their son, probably in his late 20’s, had flown over to join them for 3 weeks on a KLR rental. Very cool family trip.

At the next gas stop we met up with a yellow F800GS from Vancouver BC. Turns out he was riding roughly one day ahead of us on the Dalton, and we probably passed him as he was leaving Deadhorse when we were riding north.

We then rode onto Carmacks for lunch, and the yellow F800GS followed us there but kept on going.

Not too soon after lunch we had to take a break due to food coma. Around this point we began hitting some pretty smokey areas due to forest fires.

Yes, this is all smoke.

We filled up in Whitehorse and debated continuing east to Jakes Corner, but we were not sure if they would have hotels. A quick chat with the locals confirmed that there was not much out there. To avoid another long day, we stayed at the Stratford Motel again in Whitehorse. Our next night was to be in Dease Lake BC, and knowing how little hotels are available out there we called ahead to book one night, just in case they sold out. All of those hotels in Dease Lake were booked solid when we were riding north. We also booked knowing that the weather was forecasted to be cold and rainy, which meant we were not willing to camp.

Dinner was kept simple with Dominos pizza.

GPS tracks:
Old 12-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #67
isaac004 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwducati View Post
Hi Isaac:
The child in the homestead pictures is my brother, Gerry.
He is about ten years old there. I was much too young at that time for it to be me!!

Jeff, the current owner of the "homestead", is the fourth owner.
My parents built the house, then sold it to a single man who later sold the house to Jeff's parents.
Jeff's mother then gave the house to him when she retired to the lower forty-eight.
Probably the viewers of this ride report have not much interest in this minutia, but I thought I would set the record straight.
Thanks for clarifying Dad!
Old 01-02-2014, 11:44 PM   #68
isaac004 OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 17, July 13, 437 miles, Whitehorse YT to Dease Lake BC

During the nights sleep I had the chills and was shivering in the middle of the night, even though it was not that cold. When I woke up, my legs were rather sore and rubbery feeling, and despite sleeping 8+ hours I felt like I needed hours more of sleep. I was also feeling a bit feverish. After some pizza for breakfast from the night before, I felt a bit better and able to tackle the road.

Not too soon into the morning ride, I hit another bird with my right hand guard. I could feel the bars thump and twitch as the bird deflected off.

I also saw a fox dart across the road, so close in fact that I had to hit the brakes pretty hard.

And to top off the wild life sightings, I also saw a brown eagle overhead. Luckily I did not hit this guy.

The clouds were quite spectacular this morning.

In Teslin YT at the gas station, we chatted for a bit with a pair of brothers from Utah that were riding a 990 and a F800GS. We talked about Canol Road, which they said had great conditions from Whitehorse to Ross River to the gas station at Teslin. We would have loved to ride this, but unfortunately did not have the time.

We rode up to this wall of water, and it hit hard. It was almost a discrete line of rain, and being in the high 30’s (F) it would turn to slush as soon as it hit the windscreen.

Luckily it was very short lived and we went back to this.

We ran into a few more close calls, but they were really not that bad. Definitely not enough to require breaking out the rain gear.

My dad ran out of gas just a few km outside of Watson Lake, so we stopped to transfer some gas from his spare gas can. We opted to make the out and back into Watson Lake for lunch, fuel, and the sign post forest.

The sign post forest really is something else. Signs from literally every corner of North America and even the world.

Everywhere you go this far north, you always see these expensive overland RV rigs being driven by German’s and Russian’s. This was owned by a German couple who spoke very little English, so we were not able to pester him much.

Representing my alma mater, Purdue, from West Lafayette!

Someone left their rifle behind.

We jumped back on the Cassier Highway heading south.

The weather was perfect, with just a few very light brief sprinkles.

At one point I saw a truck stopped with the passenger door open and a fox looking up at the truck.

We took a short break at a rest stop that winded 1 km off the road down to the river.

The mascot is still hanging on!

We arrived back in Dease Lake at the Motor Inn, glad we had booked a room ahead of time due to the cold and wet night.

While topping off the tanks and unloading the bikes, we met a group of 4 from Mexico and Guatemala heading north. We also met another Canadian on a F800GS from Sault Ste Ontario, riding with his wife.

GPS tracks:
Old 01-04-2014, 12:04 AM   #69
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Been keeping up with this report since the start..........slow moving but great reading.........I stayed twice at the "Infamous Dease Motel." I hope that you and your Dad did the Telegraph Creek Road. If not you have to go back and do it, since you missed a great road and scenic terrain.

Keep it coming and at your pace we all will be ready for another Alaska trip!!

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #70
isaac004 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman1432 View Post
Been keeping up with this report since the start..........slow moving but great reading.........I stayed twice at the "Infamous Dease Motel." I hope that you and your Dad did the Telegraph Creek Road. If not you have to go back and do it, since you missed a great road and scenic terrain.

Keep it coming and at your pace we all will be ready for another Alaska trip!!
Thanks, glad you are enjoying it. We did not take Telegraph Creek Road, one of may other reasons to return with more time. Another reason to return is that in 2 years, the Dempster Highway will have been extended to end at the actual Arctic Ocean.

Yes, I have been very slow getting the rest of this RR finished. VERY slow!
Old 01-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #71
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,460
I enjoyed your report very much. Nice to see another father and son trip.

I built the center stand your father uses. It was nice to see it put to use not involving a flat.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #72
txplants
Pastafarian

Oddometer: 280
Still with ya!

I'm still following along too. This will be my "go-to" report when I plan my own trip to Alaska.
txplants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #73
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,461
Laugh great trip report...

great trip report...Thanks for taking us along.

this is a great map! 414 miles...

Old 01-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #74
isaac004 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike View Post
I enjoyed your report very much. Nice to see another father and son trip.

I built the center stand your father uses. It was nice to see it put to use not involving a flat.
Great, nice to see your products at work! We only used it for chain maintenance and installing new tires!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txplants View Post
I'm still following along too. This will be my "go-to" report when I plan my own trip to Alaska.
Glad the report will be a good source of knowledge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass View Post
great trip report...Thanks for taking us along.

this is a great map! 414 miles...
You are welcome! I dig the map as well.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:30 PM   #75
isaac004 OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 18, July 14, 296 miles, Dease Lake BC to Stewart BC

Once again I woke up with the sweats, but definitely felt better then the previous day. Whatever I had was weird but it was moving fast so I could not complain.

We headed south again on the Cassier, and saw these horses wandering the road.

It was a chilly morning, in the high 30’s (F), a great morning to have a heated jacket and grips! Through some of the valleys we would roll in and out of the fog.

A beautiful view of the mountains in the distance.

And back into the fog.

These made for some very cool shots

Here is another view of the new power lines going in just north of Bell 2 in BC.

The mountains here are exceptionally green.

Self portrait.

BC is truly something else…

We stopped for gas and lunch at the lodge in Bell 2, and ran into a pair of KLR riders from Arkansas.

After lunch we headed out towards Stewart/Hyder to see the glaciers. On the way we saw a bear on the road dart back into the bushes.

Later on while on Highway 37A, we saw another bear, this time a mother with her 3 cubs. Was not fast enough to get the camera out, and frankly was a bit concerned in case I needed to take evasive action.

We stopped at the small Glacier before getting into Stewart.

We then passed through Hyder and up the dirt road towards the Salmon Glacier. This is 3/4 of the way up.

At the top! Here is a bit of a panoramic. It is quite large and impressive.

A shot of my Dad and I.

We were told the road continued on shortly to a chain/gate, so we just turned around and headed back down. Here is the end of the Salmon Glacier as it dumps into the river.

We stayed the night in Stewart BC and had dinner at the hotel. It was the longest dinner ever at 90 minutes, despite only a few other tables in a large restaurant.

While doing some bike maintenance in the parking lot, we chatted with a local worker staying at the hotel who was working with BC Hydro. He commented that a lot of locals oppose the new transmission lines going in on the Cassier Highway, as it is to increase mining and economic growth and will change the look of the beautiful landscape. There is also talks of a new pipeline from Edmonton to the BC coast, in order to bring more oil sands product out to the export market. He mentioned that a lot of BC locals will refuse to work on this project though they will always find other works who are willing to relocate for the work. According to him, most of eastern Canada wants this pipeline for the money, and most of the west coast is against it.

Here you can see the MFEO on my Dad’s bike wearing out rather squarely. In the morning before we left Dease Lake, he did utilize the internet to order another rear tire, to be shipped to Seattle at my Aunt’s house where we were scheduled to arrive in 4 days. Amazon Prime can be an amazing thing!!!

GPS Tracks for the day: