User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #91
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,184
Wow thanks. That was quick!

As you may or may not know I've been planning a north trip for a couple of years, was supposed to go '12 and had to cancel, no $$ for any travel last year. So, if the sun, moon, and stars align right maybe it will be this year. LOL.

I've read many of the BC threads including the side trips off the Cassiar, and day trips on Van'Isle and others. In fact the Canadians are so friendly I think I have a tent spot or sofa for each leg up there. Since I grew up in the NW, actually born in Vancouver, the draw to see BC is stronger than to AK. I've only been as far north as the Hope area when we were really into fly fishing. That was about 25 years ago.

Since my wife's folks still live in Marysville (just north of Everett) my plans are to trailer bikes there with the RV, leave her there to visit, and ride north through Vancouver Island to Port Hardy at the tip, and take the BC Ferry to Prince Rupert. My quandry is whether to take a dualsport and ride the Cassiar after a side trip to Hyder and Stewart, and then either ferry back or ride to Bella Coola and ferry back. If I took the road bike I would probably ride to Prince George and tour BC Interior, take the roads back. Some will depend whether there will be others going and what they ride. I have both options as well.

I hear a lot from travelers that first they wish they had more time, but most of us have obligations, family, job, etc. so we take what we can get and do the best we can. Second they wished they had a light bike and really be able to explore the backcountry. My husky works just sick for that so maybe that would be the best bet.

I'm hoping to get a couple of other riders that would like to do this trip with me. Many complain about all the time off but I could trailer bikes to Seattle wherein they could just fly and ride for a week, maybe add a day or two so we could have 7-9 days to travel.

Anyway, I enjoyed your report and the pics are great. It's a great inspiration to make it happen for myself. Thanks for all the good feedback!
Old 01-08-2014, 03:48 PM   #92
isaac004 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
You got me at lunch, I had time to respond!

Yep, it is all about balancing priorities. Sounds like trailing the Husky is your best bet. If you take the bigger Tiger, you will probably see some dirt roads and wish you had something smaller to find out where it goes!

I would say if your draw to BC is stronger then to AK, you will be plenty happy with what you find in BC. It is very beautiful indeed, I bet you could spend a whole month, be very happy with what you see, and still wish you had time for more.
isaac004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:01 PM   #93
fishman393
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Awesome....Just read the whole report. I wish my ole man had the same interest in motorcycling as I, so we could take such a trip. Like TEX said about the jump in the ocean, when your old and grey you will remember jumping in the ocean but more importantly you will remember the trip with your dad and a smile will hit your face. Live today, tomorrow may not come.
fishman393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:34 PM   #94
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman393 View Post
>snip
Like TEX said about the jump in the ocean, when your old and grey you will remember jumping in the ocean but more importantly you will remember the trip with your dad and a smile will hit your face. Live today, tomorrow may not come.
^^This.
My dad died 11 years ago. He never rode bikes but he bought me my first minibike when I was a kid, about 45 years ago now. He always loved to see me riding, even as an adult. We did a lot of stuff together. And you never forget that stuff.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:40 PM   #95
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Oddometer: 2,177
great story!

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
2011 Calif Dreaming , 2013 Mexico
rgiroux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:43 AM   #96
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac004 View Post
You got me at lunch, I had time to respond!

Yep, it is all about balancing priorities. Sounds like trailing the Husky is your best bet. If you take the bigger Tiger, you will probably see some dirt roads and wish you had something smaller to find out where it goes!

I would say if your draw to BC is stronger then to AK, you will be plenty happy with what you find in BC. It is very beautiful indeed, I bet you could spend a whole month, be very happy with what you see, and still wish you had time for more.

I must say, I find BC more intriguing for riding than Alaska.

I live in Seattle and have been taking week long solo motorcycle trips up into BC every year for the last 4 years. My son and I rode to Prudhoe Bay this past summer, but I still find riding in BC to be be more interesting (My trip in Sept to Bella Coola http://youtu.be/tneg6Y7pWAA). The Cassiar Hwy and surrounding area are compelling.

Just a word of advice here... It takes a couple of loong days to get to get to the Cassiar Hwy from Seattle by normal roads. Roundtrip is 4 days at best. So factor that into your vacation plans. There is soo much to see and do below the Cassiar, that I would be hesitant to rush up there to ride. You miss alot of goodies (as evidenced by my video).

Smaller bikes highly recommended for the best dualsport experience in BC.

Just my 2 cents...
RR: Bella Coola 2013 / Bella Coola Canada 2012
RR: Our Life Behind Bars
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #97
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLee View Post
I must say, I find BC more intriguing for riding than Alaska.

I live in Seattle and have been taking week long solo motorcycle trips up into BC every year for the last 4 years. My son and I rode to Prudhoe Bay this past summer, but I still find riding in BC to be be more interesting (My trip in Sept to Bella Coola http://youtu.be/tneg6Y7pWAA). The Cassiar Hwy and surrounding area are compelling.

Just a word of advice here... It takes a couple of loong days to get to get to the Cassiar Hwy from Seattle by normal roads. Roundtrip is 4 days at best. So factor that into your vacation plans. There is soo much to see and do below the Cassiar, that I would be hesitant to rush up there to ride. You miss alot of goodies (as evidenced by my video).

Smaller bikes highly recommended for the best dualsport experience in BC.

Just my 2 cents...
Hey, there we go.
I think I did stumble across one of your reports, you're on a GS, right?

I hear you on the distance to get to northern BC and hence my thought was to ferry up, for at least one leg if not both. On another thread somebody mentioned about getting bored on a ferry ride, but the Port Hardy to Prince Rupert is like 15 hours knocking off several hundred road miles, right? So take a nap and wake up and you're there. I can see ferrying from Seattle to Anchorage would definitely be a long ride, but a lot of people do that too.

Since my grandmother lived on Vancouver Island for so many years, first in Nanaimo and then in Victoria, I thought it would be interesting to ride it's length and take in the wildness of it. It's easy to get to from Seattle as well, and gets you off the hiway right away, whereas going north thru Vancouver is a LOT of hiway miles. I hear the logging trucks on Van'Isle are a caution. I also have a standing invitation to stay near Campbell River (Comox) with the folks I sold my Grady-White to a couple of years ago. Yep, they drove their truck down to the LA basin and towed a 21' offshore sportfishing boat back home. I guess they're pretty much none existent up there. I think they're about an hour from the ferry terminal in Port Hardy.

What do you think about ferrying to Bella Coola and riding Chilcotins? I found some pretty cool looking ride reports for that area as well. I'll go back and look at your RR's too.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #98
boxcar
n00b

Oddometer: 9
enjoyed RR

hey Isaac ,

thanks for a great ride report...I really enjoyed that. Riding with your dad is awesome.

boxcar
boxcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:39 PM   #99
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 465
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Hey, there we go.
I think I did stumble across one of your reports, you're on a GS, right?

I hear you on the distance to get to northern BC and hence my thought was to ferry up, for at least one leg if not both.

What do you think about ferrying to Bella Coola and riding Chilcotins? I found some pretty cool looking ride reports for that area as well. I'll go back and look at your RR's too.
Yes, I ride a GS.

Taking the ferry is a popular thing to do. Just beware of sticker shock $$$$$. Going to Bella Coola by ferry takes bit longer than most think. But I have read that it makes for a nice trip. I've never ferried with my bike. The fjords are spectacular to see, and the only way to really experience them is by boat ... or if you can, by small aircraft

Lots of options. I'd love to spend month just bouncing around BC as a back country motorcycle bum with my camera and a good book
RR: Bella Coola 2013 / Bella Coola Canada 2012
RR: Our Life Behind Bars
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #100
F800ekelley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Great ride report really enjoyed it amazing bucket list item. Really enjoyed the photos i have the same rear tire and same bike how did thetire do thewhole ride?
F800ekelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:29 PM   #101
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Outstanding fog pics on Day 18. Great RR. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac004 View Post

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:25 PM   #102
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
This is on my list of to-do's. Thanks for the great RR!
Ravenslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:18 AM   #103
ShineySideUp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Great RR. Reading yours and other RR of AK really has me pumped for going in 2015. I was originally thinking of early June but you do mention July being the better month, so will strongly consider July.
I've got a Victory Vision which is a great LD ride [especially with a Russell Day long]. I think I have my wife talked into flying to and from Anchorage and then rent a DS in Anchorage for some rides with her.

Thanks for the list of equipment you packed in your panniers and the links to the mosquito net/hat, that kind of info is helpful

As someone above mentioned it is fortunate you get to ride with your dad. My dad bought me my first motorcycle, Honda 50 cc, but did not ride himself, but encouraged my riding. Dad passed January 21, 2013.

I wonder where that road goes?
ShineySideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:02 PM   #104
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,961
Thumb

...now I reeally want to buy his bike!

Rapid Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:46 AM   #105
ManLee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Great report! Can't believe I didn't see this until now. We did almost the same trip a few days ahead of you. Our paths crossed in TOK on our way down. We camped there on the 4th of July.

Fun to see the trip through someone elses eyes. I just did a quick skim but I'll go back and read the whole thing. I know how much work goes into writing these. Good job!

Here's my report if you're interested.

Two more WR250R's Washington to Alaska
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=905424

2012 WR250R
1999 1100GS
ManLee is offline   Reply With Quote