Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2014, 09:24 AM   #106
isaac004 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManLee View Post
Great report! Can't believe I didn't see this until now. We did almost the same trip a few days ahead of you. Our paths crossed in TOK on our way down. We camped there on the 4th of July.

Fun to see the trip through someone elses eyes. I just did a quick skim but I'll go back and read the whole thing. I know how much work goes into writing these. Good job!

Here's my report if you're interested.

Two more WR250R's Washington to Alaska
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=905424
Did you eat dinner on July 4 in Tok at Fast Eddy's? We ate there and stayed at the Young's Motel (behind the restaurant) that night, and I recall seeing 1 or 2 WR250R's parked outside the restaurant with a gear setup that looked very similar to yours in your RR.

Nice looking ride you had there. The WR's are a great little bike, I always miss mine just a bit.

EDIT: Just browsed through your RR and see that you did eat dinner there. So we did cross paths!
isaac004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:33 PM   #107
ManLee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac004 View Post
Did you eat dinner on July 4 in Tok at Fast Eddy's? We ate there and stayed at the Young's Motel (behind the restaurant) that night, and I recall seeing 1 or 2 WR250R's parked outside the restaurant with a gear setup that looked very similar to yours in your RR.

Nice looking ride you had there. The WR's are a great little bike, I always miss mine just a bit.

EDIT: Just browsed through your RR and see that you did eat dinner there. So we did cross paths!
Yep we ate there on the way up and the way back. Good Food.

2012 WR250R
1999 1100GS
ManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:55 PM   #108
1badHD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Awesome....Just read the whole report. Great RR! I'm getting ready to do this trip in June!
1badHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:25 AM   #109
scooter_kenny
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Great rr

Thanks for taking the time and effort to post. I really enjoyed reading and looking at all your photos...

All the best...
scooter_kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:01 AM   #110
fafaforza
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Hey Isaac, I always wondered about mechanical engineering but the actual job description always seemed unspecific. What does your typical day look like? Are you working at a computer designing parts? Do you help make/assemble them? Spend time in the machine shop, on the job site?
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:30 AM   #111
isaac004 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafaforza View Post
Hey Isaac, I always wondered about mechanical engineering but the actual job description always seemed unspecific. What does your typical day look like? Are you working at a computer designing parts? Do you help make/assemble them? Spend time in the machine shop, on the job site?
The general description of an ME is very unspecific, because there are so many areas an ME can go into. It really does make for a great base for many career choices as well. It's not just the engineering theory's and rules you learn in engineering school, but more important the method of thinking, problem solving, and the tools required to keep learning...above all, you learn a very solid work ethic as well. I came out of Purdue with a BSME and when I showed up to the first day of work as a full timer, it was just the start of another phase of learning.

I'm a project engineer with a large industrial gas company that has operations not only throughout North America but all over the world. I focus on capital plant projects on the west coast, ranging from Edmonton down to So Cal, on large scale SMR hydrogen plants, air separation plants, and chemical plants (epoxies to semi conductor). My projects can vary all over the place, but in general my tasks involve:
-Scope definition, creating budgets and writing funding requests
-Defining construction scopes
-Bidding and selection of qualified contractors
-Single point of contact for process engineers, designers, controls engineers, plant operations to coordinate the new project work (as most projects occur in existing/running plants)
-Managing contractors during construction phase, everything from safety (this is very big in our world) to technical questions and decisions

Sometimes I'm behind the desk. Sometimes I travel to the plants for planning or managing work. Sometimes I travel to vendor shops for inspections and to check on progress. Lately I've been learning a lot about metallurgy and welding, due to some issues we have in the plants.

Like any job, there are boring times, frustrating times, and overworked times where you get burned out, but those are more or less facts of life. What keeps me here is the great people I work with and that I am still learning a lot. In fact, I work with engineers who are over 50, have worked with welding for decades, and are still learning more everyday with new challenges. When you stop learning because you have hit a limit in the job, it's time to move on.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:43 PM   #112
isaac004 OP
Studly Adventurer

The mighty F800GS was last seen last week, going into the hands of another rider from Escondido who will be taking this beast on a South American adventure.

Sad to see her go, but glad it will go to someone who will take her on another mighty adventure.

Also very happy to welcome my new adventure rig aboard too!

Old 03-26-2014, 08:49 AM   #113
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,064
...Nice Isaac!

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:05 PM   #114
ridefire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Nice TR, I came across the same rig last summer on the bear tooth about 2 weeks after you you crossed its path on the ferry!

ridefire screwed with this post 03-27-2014 at 01:15 PM
ridefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:30 PM   #115
airchuk
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Good RR. Great pictures. I was about 4 hours behind you on the Cassiar. I have photos of the same crashed logging truck. I liked your comments on the diner on the Alaska Highway near the Cassiar. I stayed at their campground overnight. I compared my $20 dinner to a microwaved Hungry Man dinner. Cost me $10 for a quart of oil. Oh well, Harleys do use a little oil.

I side tripped into Hyder for lunch at "The Bus" on the way up. Couldn't picture myself going up the Dalton on the Harley. I'm just not that good on dirt and mud. The gravel and construction around Deese Lake convinced me.

Good reading and glad I found your RR.
airchuk is offline   Reply With Quote