User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 12:10 AM   #1
Sean-0 OP
straya carnt

Oddometer: 4,285
"Are We there yet Dad FFS"

So my son and I decided we would go on a trip ,the planning had begun. I wanted a Simpson desert crossing to get my boy in the thick of it .Having just got his bike licence 4 months 4 hand I thought what a great way to get into Distance riding . We talked about it but decided it was not the right time ,he has shin splits from basic training in the Army .So a plan was hatched ot do a lap I had done the pervious yr ,so I knew the way and what to expect

The idea being bit safer first time out on my own on a long ride with me as the go to man .....not real good at the go to man

So bikes ready ...Zac on his Wr250r me on the trusty xrr

Our decision was to carry light ...Xped mats for sleeping ..wolfman self inflating pillow....sleeping bag ..thermal liner ...tent ..all worked well but cold when you had to get up in the morning

We started out on Sunday morning I was keen to get going and zac was up early as well. Plan was to head out through Warwick then Goondiwindi then onto St George. I knew the dalby way was full of rd works and slow

We made good time and was into our first stop at Warwick fuel and maccas .Then we pushed on for St George b4 it got to late and the roos came out ,we made first cam about 10 k out or St George in the bush ,,few jim beam cans and a few fireworks were set off ,great way to start a trip

We packed up early and headed for Thargomindah, plan was to get there mid arvo and get some more jim cans and camp the night at the river just b4 town ,was cold and down to 4deg in the morning.We started the fire and had coffee and porridge with condensed milk

We pushed on to camerons corner via Nucundra .We passed about 5 rd trains heading out of thargo ,zac got his first taste of get on the dirt and get stuck into it ,made it passed them all no worries

we found the first of our last yrs stickers

left a note for whats his face

We got fuel at Nucundra and had a can of coke ,brushed the flys away ,There was another group of rd trains there also and headed off just after pulled up .Looks like we have to pass more on the way to camerons ,but it was all good ,day 3 ended with us at Cameron's Corner

We had a drink or 3 and had a yarn with Fenn ,had dinner and headed for bed

Up early again and it was a lil cool at 3 degs in the morning ,waited for the sun to come up and packed our gear and head for the strzelecky track ,Seems the famous Camerons corner double decker bus has been removed I read it on a letter in the pub

There is also a book to sign in the pub ,Last yr our lil Wez sign the book not long b4 he crashed ..it says giddy up whoo back...may be the later should have been the first

and it had been removed the tree is gone as well and a water thing is there now and a holding pen and loading ramp for cattle ,We went right passed ,also missed the short cut as we were having fun on the track
,lucky we did as this is when we stopped up just short of the intersection and we heard bikes coming .I said to zac I can hear bikes he agreed ,nxt thing we see are 2 dr's fully loaded Adndrew and Chriss from Sydney .We chatted a for a while and I rolled Chriss some smokes as he was out and not near a shop ...he was very thankfull

We had to get going if we wanted to make Arkaroola tonight so off we went down the strez , a little while later I notice my gps has gone to battery mode and im wondering why ,nxt my lights go out ,I think shit not now ,I looked down to see a loose earth wire on the battery ,sheesh easy fix ,I forgot to lock tight them the days b4
I raced up to catch zac and tell him to stop ,so we pull over and I pulled thafairing off and sorted out the problem ,took 45 mins tho .This was making up for the reasons we didn't make Arkaroola that night ,we also stopped a few times to look around

More soon
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:22 AM   #2
mendydrz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Good effort so far. And shin splints for the young fella, the good old issued boots are renowned for that!
Old 08-09-2013, 12:39 AM   #3
Sean-0 OP
straya carnt

We stopped at a bore on the strez track ...for get its name was real nice with a cold water pond and a warm water pond .Nice place to camp but no wood ,there are water tanks there unshure if you can rink from them

We made camp a lil bit short of Arkaroola that night ,but it turned out to be a great spot to watch the sun go down and relax with a good fire and the turn off to Arkaroola with our sticker Derek placed 12 months ago

We walked over the other side of camp with our chairs and a cuppa tea and watched the sun go down

more as I sort the pics out
Old 08-09-2013, 01:01 AM   #4
Chop Chop
Hector erector

Oddometer: 1,643
Nice one Sean-0

If you don't want the piss taken, stop giving it away!
Chop Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:35 AM   #5
digga1111
bann ed

Oddometer: 3,347

dad and dave, put that one on the wall boys.
... the XR is the greatest off road motorcycle ever constructed. There's nothing it can't do, hasn't won or will not outperform.
digga1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:14 AM   #6
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,121
Nice part of the world! Thanks for sharing

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:34 AM   #7
What's his Face
lost as

Oddometer: 3,585
good stuff .. however i do wonder why you pick on me so much
Old 08-09-2013, 04:00 AM   #8
Wasca
Adventurized!

Oddometer: 573
Great ride report sean-o, looks like you and Zac are have a great time, ride safe, will be good to catch up for another ride some time. I hope that little book I got you is keeping you entertained, perhaps you can find a new nick name for Derek
Old 08-09-2013, 05:18 AM   #9
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,490
Great stuff guys, we where working keeping the country going while you where away.
BygDaddee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Fathers riding with sons
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #11
Sean-0 OP
straya carnt

So after the nights camp 45k off the strez,we headed for Arkaroola .Great rds in to there on the back side of the gammon ranges I think it is .Made Arkaroola bit b4 lunch time and had a feed and fuel and got water.I was about to buy 6x 1.5 ltrs bottles when I spotted a 10 ltr box with a silver cask in it for 7 bucks so I grabbed that .Turns out the cask was to stay with us for the nxt week till it started to leak ...was good to put water in and then pop in the bladder bra
On the way out of Arkaroola we met up with paul I think it is with a 800 tiger heading back to Birdsville .Had a chat for a while then we headed off to look for camp ,Weetootle was the spot we chose ,we grabbed a bottle of tia maria at Ark and a few jim beams and club Canadians ...set for a good night

zac heading back with wood

p/b is giving me grief more soon
Old 08-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #12
TheBlurr
Banned

Oddometer: 5,588
Enjoy, I lost my dad a few years ago but have great memories from so many amazing adventures together.
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:48 PM   #13
Hodgo
TWIN Cylinder ADV

Oddometer: 1,553
Good rd. Seano . Picture don't work though
Good reading while I lay here in the farter in north Dakota. More please
www.facebook.com/KTM950SE
Retired.. CR500E & lots more
Hodgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:08 AM   #14
sir phily
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by digga1111 View Post

dad and dave, put that one on the wall boys.
Where did you get those chairs look better than my 3 legged stool,
great ride report great way to spend some time together.

Cheers Phil
sir phily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:19 AM   #15
59DEN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
Good one Sean-O,

Going by the amount of firewood collected, it is no wonder your son looks exhausted.
59DEN is offline   Reply With Quote