Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #121
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,165
Nice as usual. Will be going to Sweden(markaryd) in the Cage with family week 29. Love that place. Planning a Scandinavian tour NeXT summer if project is ready.

regards from Denmark
Old 06-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #122
DirtyADV OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocuL View Post
Nice as usual. Will be going to Sweden(markaryd) in the Cage with family week 29. Love that place. Planning a Scandinavian tour NeXT summer if project is ready.

regards from Denmark
Markaryd, add 1200 km of boring highway and you will reach Skellefteċ =)

Taking smaller roads into the country and mixing in some gravel your supertanker solution might be needed but you sold the rear tanks? And don't trust the gps to find you a gas station it might be shut down since Sweden is forcing gas stations to have an eco friendly option usually Ethanol and many smaller places can't take the cost of that investment and rather close down =(

As long as Im not out traveling all visitors are welcome but Im not very good at selling the region, its pretty boring mainly just forrest but there is an endless supply of gravel roads:

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:48 PM   #123
DirtyADV OP
Beastly Adventurer

Took the new bike for some local trail this evening.

First tip over, deep tracks left after forrest machines filled with stumps of logs gave me a hard time, luckily there was a tree to "lean" the bike towards but had to get off the seat to get it back on track.

Also got stuck trying to get over a ditch filled up with logs to make it passable more throttle might have gotten me over it but I was to much of a chicken.

Might have to look at some other throttle tube it is a bit snatchy trying to ride the rough stuff, the 950 was smoother.

Got along with the front brake better this time around at least.

Need to get the body up to speed also the cardio is at zero it feels like get tired very quickly.

/Johan

Old 07-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #124
DirtyADV OP
Beastly Adventurer

Have done some more riding with the 990R now:

And done a first oil change:

Now the question is if I need to spoon on a new TKC80 or run the "slightly used" Terraflex at this weekends gravel get together?

And it seems like the carbon heat shield is not up to the task, burnt and kind of melting:

/Johan

Old 07-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #125
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,270
Stay with the Terraflex.

Rather ride one tire bald than have two half used ones.

In the end, it feels far more satisfying to have really used up one to within an inch of its life than to have 2 that can't really tell a tale.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:23 PM   #126
DirtyADV OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamanya View Post
Stay with the Terraflex.

Rather ride one tire bald than have two half used ones.

In the end, it feels far more satisfying to have really used up one to within an inch of its life than to have 2 that can't really tell a tale.
Thank you for that advise!

Have a few half used as it is, before longer trips I have preferred to have a fresh rubber when leaving from home, but now I have decided to not buy any tires before I have toasted all the tires I have.

There is for some reason I don't know 2 x brand new TKC 80 and a couple of half used rubbers.

/Johan

Old 07-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #127
CMurgel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Hi Johan,

I also have problems with the Carbon Heat shield. Any idea to fix this or just trash it and back to the metal one??

And it seems like the carbon heat shield is not up to the task, burnt and kind of melting:

/Johan[/QUOTE]
CMurgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:38 PM   #128
DirtyADV OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMurgel View Post
Hi Johan,

I also have problems with the Carbon Heat shield. Any idea to fix this or just trash it and back to the metal one??
Does not seem to get that much worse so will keep mine for now, but the bolts keep backing out so have to keep tightening them.

Did attend an event last weekend in Boden with Carl Hagenblad who plans to race the Dakar rally who shared some tips and trix ...pretty much "eyes up and more throttle was the solution to everything when riding off-road".

Almost all the guys were on smaller single cylinder bikes but think all that were not local to Boden area trailered their bikes there, me and my friend Dennis drove there and back (just 180km away so not that far).

So have nicknamed my bike "The Blue Whale" after that weekend:

[

Carl showing how to get mount a tire with a mousse (correct english term? in Swedish we call them "korv" direct translate would be sausage):

Did run into trouble with the side stand switch going across sand whoppies so took magnet off, plenty of metal on it??

Just for information you have to keep it the same way if taping it in place as I did but first try I had flipped it around and that did not work.

My friend Dennis:

Was going to give the bike some love since some "oil" made the engine a little messy:

Seem I was not able to squeeze enough oil out of the rottweiler filter:

Would think the small excess is pushed back and when on side stand drips of on the left side, might have to make a habit out of lifting out the dog house each time I have seat off and wipe off that rear left section on the mounting plate to reduce this.

/Johan

Old 07-13-2014, 03:12 PM   #129
DirtyADV OP
Beastly Adventurer

A few pictures from last weekend:

My friend Dennis:

Day 2 was lots of playing in the sand:

/Johan

Old 07-13-2014, 03:29 PM   #130
DirtyADV OP
Beastly Adventurer

Also gotten around to installing the Carbon Fibre side panels:

At first the right side looked scary close the the muffler:

With it all bolted up it looked better:

Still a little more gap on the left side but good enough should not melt stuff:

A little video comparing carbon and plastic:

Did not work embedding video uploaded on flickr so here is link:

https://flic.kr/p/nYnEC3

Choose to go with Nomad rider luggage, a small for day rides and also bought a medium for longer trips, liked the external easy access pockets, time will tell if they hold up:

/Johan

Old 08-06-2014, 03:07 PM   #131
DirtyADV OP
Beastly Adventurer

How much hotter does the 990 run compared to the 950?

Seems most of the subframe is to hot to touch, at least a lot more of it compare to the 950 and parts of the swing arm is also plenty hot after a good ride.

See around 6-7 bars and on idling at red lights and such it goes up a little more 8, maybe 9 but by then the fan is on and there are several bars left.

Have started toasting my pants maybe the bolt gets hotter with the carbon heat shield compare to having the stock that would probably spread the heat better?

A little worried about how much hotter it feels, have an IR thermometer on order from China, will do some measurements once that get here.

Have had it push quite a bit of "goo" out of the air filter that made a bit of a mess around the rear cylinder, skipping the hose directing crank case ventilation into the intake itself might have caused some of that and a little excess filter oil another factor, will try to get a hose in place in the near future:

The "Blue Whale" as I have named the 990R sure does deliver compared to the 950 but have not had the time to ride as much as I would have liked =(

/Johan

Old 08-07-2014, 04:36 AM   #132
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,571
Quote:
Hi Johan,

/Johan
[/QUOTE]

That's an issue with the clear coat over the CF. Heat transfer from the fixing screw. No need to worry.
If your really concerned you could wet sand the clear off back to the CF and recoat but if will just happen again.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:04 AM   #133
DirtyADV OP
Beastly Adventurer

What I at first thought was the carbon fiber "melting" the black on the bolt was actually a tiny damage to the pants leg ...since it has burnt the pant leg a lot more.

Carbon fiber seems to have a hard time handeling the heat still, a little burnt around bolt and feels alot softer when hot compared to cold.

Something needs to be done if its supposed to run this hot.

Never burnt anything on the exhaust on the 950 so why is the 990 burning stuff?

As I said earlier everything around the exhaust seems to get quite a bit hotter then the 950 ...normal??

Might try to source some ceramic and make something separating the carbon fibre from direct contact with metal that might work better.

/Johan

Old 08-07-2014, 06:40 AM   #134
CMurgel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Johan this is the same problem that I have with my 990 A 2011. it runs really hot specially here in Brazil.

What burns our pants is not the shield but that screw the middle one.

I am very disappointed also with the carbon fiber shield because it is disintegrating due to heat and still burns my pants..

I eventually return to the metal one.

Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyADV View Post
What I at first thought was the carbon fiber "melting" the black on the bolt was actually a tiny damage to the pants leg ...since it has burnt the pant leg a lot more.

Carbon fiber seems to have a hard time handeling the heat still, a little burnt around bolt and feels alot softer when hot compared to cold.

Something needs to be done if its supposed to run this hot.

Never burnt anything on the exhaust on the 950 so why is the 990 burning stuff?

As I said earlier everything around the exhaust seems to get quite a bit hotter then the 950 ...normal??

Might try to source some ceramic and make something separating the carbon fibre from direct contact with metal that might work better.

/Johan
CMurgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:09 AM   #135
DirtyADV OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Johan this is the same problem that I have with my 990 A 2011. it runs really hot specially here in Brazil.

What burns our pants is not the shield but that screw the middle one.

I am very disappointed also with the carbon fiber shield because it is disintegrating due to heat and still burns my pants..

I eventually return to the metal one.

Carlos
Even if we have had the hottest summer ever with like 2 weeks of day temperatures reaching close to 30 C (probably cold compared to Brazil) the 990 for sure seems to run hotter compared to 950 with similar riding.

Will talk to a friend that works with heat probes at a copper refinery measuring the temperature of the molten metal and might have some good heat resistant ceramics that might be possible to use to isolate the carbon fiber from direct metal contact and cover up that bolt in some way.