Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #46
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 1,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by edog200 View Post
But here is the million dollar question that no one has asked me. What bike has the best forks, Super Ten or KToomer. Answer: Super Ten - noticeably better.
Having owned an'05 "KToomer" ADV and a '12 Super Ten, I find that a bit surprising. Maybe it's the weight difference or maybe KTM is scrimping on their suspension these days, but I'd have to give the Katoom the edge on suspension.
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #47
Mk5mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:

But here is the million dollar question that no one has asked me. What bike has the best forks, Super Ten or KToomer. Answer: Super Ten - noticeably better.
You are making or hard to decided between these two after saying that.
Mk5mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #48
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242

Any particular reason for uttering such blasphemy?
nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #49
edog200 OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk5mike View Post
You are making or hard to decided between these two after saying that.
Forks better only when going real hard.

KTM better bike. For myriad of reasons.
edog200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #50
edog200 OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoktm View Post

Any particular reason for uttering such blasphemy?
Just popped out. Like a fart in church.

1190 still a far better bike, but it had to be said.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #51
edog200 OP
Banned

[QUOTE=mcmann;22118553]I see you gave the ST a crash test:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0VLwA2p...eature=related

It looks like the ST is not a back country bike like the 950A/990R . . . Too heavy and too low . . . Bottoms out over the rough stuff:

I was impressed by the Super Ten. Certainly shook the Beemer up. But it's like Lord of the Flies. KTM have come along and stole, no, earned the first prize.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #52
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
Thanks for the review, edog!

Glad to hear that you felt the ABS was effective in Enduro mode.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:39 AM   #53
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,232
Thanks for the review edog

I'm curious how you think the regular 1190 would have done. Maybe have bottomed a couple of times, but maybe the electronic adjustments might have helped (I don't know if there is a difference in the mechanical bits between the suspension pieces).

I (and I suspect many others) really would like to see the standard and R models in the same test. I'll speculate that they're a lot closer than people might think (especially all the folks who feel they absolutely need the tall suspenders, as they are always quick to mention ). I know talented people can, but I'd like what the difference in the bikes really is.

I had a 2004 950S and now have a 990 Dakar, and have very rarely have needed the extra travel (just meant I had to go a little slower or pick my lines better). Otoh, no factory has recently offered me a ride , so I'm probably not the best judge of of the differences. But with all the great action videos I've seen posted with the 9X0's over the years I only recall a small number of them where I thought "hmm, the S (or R) is probably worth it there.

Now that I think about it, I can't ever recall seeing a head to head test between the S/R and regular versions over the same sets of terrain. The "other" is always referred to when one of them is being tested.

Just seems to make it a fantastic opportunity for some magazine or web publication to really do something unique (hard to do these days) and establish the benchmark for "eh, not that different" or "wow, what a difference", and get a real discussion going.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:49 AM   #54
sleepyOwl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,177
There is a comparison test 1190 v 1190R on youtube but unfortunately only in German.

here for you German speakers

http://youtu.be/Kt4Mw1v2c4U

The road 1190 would be ideal for my needs, unfortunately the color choice means that it is going to be the R for me.
After my Multi I am quite happy also not to have the electronic suspension package.

Everything is Amazing and No one is Happy

sleepyOwl screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 06:54 AM
sleepyOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #55
dragos
Belzebut

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
I'm curious how you think the regular 1190 would have done. Maybe have bottomed a couple of times, but maybe the electronic adjustments might have helped (I don't know if there is a difference in the mechanical bits between the suspension pieces).
According to their Facebook page, they're testing the non-R right now and a video review will follow.
dragos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #56
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragos View Post
According to their Facebook page, they're testing the non-R right now and a video review will follow.

That's my point-- for some reason magazines/web testers just won't test them together to provide a more meaningful report. We know the brochures say the regular is more road biased and the R is more off-road biased. But how much both ways is what inquiring minds want to know.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #57
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyOwl View Post
There is a comparison test 1190 v 1190R on youtube but unfortunately only in German...

Didn't seem like much of a comparison (lots of parked side by side stuff), and it looked like two different off road segments. Maybe the words were more illuminating???
Old 08-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #58
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,149
Quote:
That's my point-- for some reason magazines/web testers just won't test them together to provide a more meaningful report. We know the brochures say the regular is more road biased and the R is more off-road biased. But how much both ways is what inquiring minds want to know.
I would like to know too. And I think they may not be that far, too. While I'm not in the market for one of them (not yet at least) what really concerns me about the standard 1190 is the tire choice availability, and that's where the R has a real avantage, you can go from full knoby to almost slick rubber and lots of option in between specially for the front 90/90/21
I would love to see the MT90 Scorp in 1190 standard wheel sizes but I guess that's not going to happen

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #59
edog200 OP
Banned

Quote:
I could only film one bike at a time. However the Adventure (road version) test will focus on finding out its dirt credentials. The road for me is not that relevant and anyone can go for a test ride on them on the road. It is what they bring to gravel and trails that is the important thing.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #60
BigTony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
I'm too am looking forward to the review of the standard!

Great stuff edog
BigTony is online now   Reply With Quote