Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
ozmoses OP
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,675
Pass-ive agggressive

(appropriate sub-forum?)

Went for an evening ride last night, rural area w/ light traffic, nice warm night-why not? Time to smell the roses and enjoy the passing scenery-a joy ride.

I had a detailed write up of the ride but have decided for the TL/DR version instead.

Lately, I notice people don't like to be passed. Two separate instances last night I passed, in a leisurely manner*, cars traveling well below posted limits of 35-55 in designated passing zones; both times cars accelerate and get on my ass.

*To define leisurely: beginning 2+ car lengths back, moderate acceleration on an Airhead, resume lane 2+ car lengths ahead.

In fairness, I've certainly noticed this trend while driving as well- motorist tootling along is passed, seemingly takes offense and now tailgates.

What's the deal here? How do you handle it, esp on a bike?

Generally, I'll just hit the throttle and go, conditions permitting; but what if they don't?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,799
Yup, I've noticed a lot more of this going around. I think a lot of it is there are just a ton more distracted drivers. They're sitting there futzing with their phones, you pass them they look up and realize they are going stupid slow and speed up.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Yup, I've noticed a lot more of this going around. I think a lot of it is there are just a ton more distracted drivers. They're sitting there futzing with their phones, you pass them they look up and realize they are going stupid slow and speed up.
This is what I think is going on most of the time too. I know there are probably some asshats out there who are actually getting pissed off and tailgating, but I have to think that most are probably just distracted and didn't realize they were going so slow.

Makes me wish people would use their cruise control more. Seems like very few actually do.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,954
Yeah, it's happens for a variety of reason I think. Bottom line for me at least, I don't want to get into a pissing contest. Pass quickly and assertively and then maintain the speed you want. If they decide to pass you again, let them. Don't ride crazy and if they do, create space between you.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
In a car I just slow suddenly and then carry on my way normally make them stop it. Or on a bike speed up and if I need to turn off.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,405
It is different in different states and even in different parts of some of the larger states.

The only thing I really notice in Northern California is that some people, who I'm sure are driving along mindlessly, will tend to match speed with you if you creep up on them with the cruise control on. I refuse to stay right next to anybody for very long, so I'll either speed up or slow down to get away from them, but I'm convinced that nearly all of them are not doing it on purpose and probably don't even realize that they're doing it.

I'm more annoyed when someone comes up behind me at a faster speed, gets in front, then slows down. I don't give them a second chance to get around me if they do that.

Don't assume most people do these things on purpose if you can blame it on being unaware - clueless drivers.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
Rubbin's racin'.
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 280
The ones that get the maddest!!! You are sitting at the light and the person in the car in front starts texting or inventoring the glove compartment or just zones out because there attention span is shorter than the light cycle. The light changes and they sit, I don't honk I just go around. Boy do they get upset....how dare you make me look inattentive (stupid) kind of stuff.
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #9
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
I've seen it so many times just as you describe and the first thing I think is "WTF? Now you are in a hurry?"

I think as SloMo said, usually they are not paying attention to speed, maybe distracted by something else. When you pass they wake up and pick up speed. You are now the pace vehicle. If they were distracted, you probably don't want them behind you anyway. Get on the gas and put some space between you before settling into your cruise speed.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #10
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,869
if it is just a ride

If it is just a cruise type ride and I pass someone that appears to be pissed about it, I will take a different road when I get to a big intersection. If they follow me, and I mean on purpose on my ass, if they appear agitated I roll on the speed. If they just happen to take the same road, I turn at the next big intersection and get back to my original planned route.

I say Big Intersection because out by me there are smaller local roads that don't have good turn lanes. I hate it when people pass me just to slow down and turn and therefor, I don't do that to others.

It is just a cruise, not a contest for me. I don't flip the bird or any BS.

Now, if someone really turns up the heat and we hit tripple digits (out here, 100+ is a big no no), I work on a plan to evade. That means getting to a road i know they can't handle and putting in some work to hustle the bike.

Sometimes people just like to race a bike but you can tell the difference when someone is after you or not.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #11
shakeybone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
what I get is they are going 5 to 10 mph under the speed limit, you try to pass and they speed up, so you go faster and they go faster so I pull in behind them,( now they are going fast enough) and they slow down.
shakeybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #12
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,516
I noticed this last weekend as I was driving across WA state. I got behind a couple of cars going just at the limit through some pretty curvy/hilly 'no passing' country. Then I got to a truck passing lane, they all sped up when I tried to pass. When the passing lane ended, they slowed down again. This happened on several occasions.......

Knuckleheads.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #13
FJ Fun
Grouchy Old Squid

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly View Post
I noticed this last weekend as I was driving across WA state. I got behind a couple of cars going just at the limit through some pretty curvy/hilly 'no passing' country. Then I got to a truck passing lane, they all sped up when I tried to pass. When the passing lane ended, they slowed down again. This happened on several occasions....... Knuckleheads.
You have described exactly what I have come to expect from drivers in Arkansas.

Joe
FJ Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #14
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly View Post
I noticed this last weekend as I was driving across WA state. I got behind a couple of cars going just at the limit through some pretty curvy/hilly 'no passing' country. Then I got to a truck passing lane, they all sped up when I tried to pass. When the passing lane ended, they slowed down again. This happened on several occasions.......
Were you on some really slow bike, or some really slow cage?

When I'm approaching a passing zone after being stuck behind somebody for a while, I make it clear that I intend to pass them by reducing my following distance from the usual two seconds down to about half a second, turn on my left turn signal, and the second the other lane starts to open up, I'm hard on the gas. Unless they weave to the left to try to block me, they're getting passed.

Then again, I've never been one to let a solid yellow line get in the way of making a safe pass when there's room either.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #15
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
I

I'm more annoyed when someone comes up behind me at a faster speed, gets in front, then slows down. I don't give them a second chance to get around me if they do that.
Happened to me on my way to work this morning. Very few things still really boil my blood on the road, but this is one of them!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote