User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #16
racer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,523
Stopped in the passing lane texting

Last week I was riding with a friend on a two lane and came up on a slow car. Was going to pass, however, the road turned to four lane just ahead, so decided to wait.

We get to four lane and the car ahead stays in the passing lane going 5 to 10 under the limit, WTF? We are approaching and on/off ramp intersection with a traffic light. The light is green. The car starts slowing and slowing, then comes to a complete stop in the passing lane.

So I pass on the right, my buddy passes on the left. Guess what? The bitch is texting.

As far as the OP's ordeal, I think people that are on the phone while driving can't judge their speed and concentrate on their text or phone conversation at the same time. After you pass, then they use the speed of your vehicle as a pace car. I've seen it plenty.

Cell phone manufacturers need to make the phones unusable if they are moving faster than five mph. That's my take.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #17
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,133
Funny how some driver behaviour doesn't differ at all, no matter, on which side of the world you may be. I have noticed the fancier the car they're driving, the harder it seems to be for the driver to accept that he's been overtaken by someone, and a motorcyclist, of all things. Blokes driving sports Mercedes especially, take it very badly being passed by a trailbike.
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #18
BryonLewis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Around here it seems to be the people in pickups that try to floor it when you pass, I see it both in my car and on my bikes. You can hear the auto tranny downshift as they stomp on it. While it can be sort of annoying in the Evo, it's hilarious when I'm on the B-King. I don't know what they are thinking.
BryonLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #19
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quicker Decision

One thing I have found is, making a decision to pass on my part. If I quickly pass I generally don't get any feed back. But if I linger, the passee has time to get pissed off. I really don't care what they are doing, I simply want out of their range. I personally don't like someone racing up behind me and blinking lights or horn, what ever. Just go around! I'll help if I can! If you want to role you go man!
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #20
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer: 5,078
we need more of this.

NSFW Audio...bit of a tool filming it.

The Self-Preservation Society
BMW F800R Grin factor 10
08 Triumph 1050 Toight like a Toiger RIP
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #21
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,099
I've seen that about a dozen times and it still makes me chuckle.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #22
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,320
"Lately, I notice people don't like to be passed. Two separate instances last night I passed, in a leisurely manner*, cars traveling well below posted limits of 35-55 in designated passing zones; both times cars accelerate and get on my ass."

"lately" ??? Fricking scat throwing primates will slog along at 10mph less than the speed limit, get to a passing zone and they STAND on the throttle. If you go to pass, they will hang you out to dry, the scumbags.

I was in a group of six bikes, we followed a slow car patiently for miles, when a passing zone came, we zipped past and resumed posted speed limit. The douche bag called the cops, who pulled us over (after meeting us oncoming, radar on, NO speed limit violated) and fucked with us for 30 minutes. The fucking steaming turd.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #23
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,539
I used to car pool with a lady who couldn't stand to be passed. When someone passed her (she always did the speed limit on the dot) she would turn on her high beams until they were some distance ahead. She also believed she was correct to do the speed limit in the passing lane, even though I pointed out the "slower traffic must keep right sign". She said she wasn't slow traffic, since she was doing the speed limit. I didn't get too confrontational about it, since she was saving me a ton of gas money.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #24
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,116
On the other hand, I suppose we should be happy they see us at all.
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #25
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,147
Some opposites...

I used to have a long, boring car commute, with about 40 miles on a deserted arrow-straight four lane state road.

Quite often I'd pass a car or move over to let a car pass only to find that I'd picked up a Road Buddy. No one around for miles, but the Road Buddy would target-lock on my car's left rear wheel, maintain station in the exact same relative position, and go back into their trance. Or whatever the hell it is people do when they're supposed to be driving.

So I'd slowly speed up or slow down and see how long it took that day's Road Buddy to wake up and notice.

Got a few of them up to over 90mph before they emerged from their meditations with a start and dropped off. One guy was still staring glassily straight ahead at 97mph and I'll admit I backed off before we did the Trance Ton.

Several maintained station down to 40mph and below.

The most fun of all was to get a Road Buddy up to about 75mph, then stomp the brakes hard. I'd swear you could hear the coma shatter as their spirit guide disappeared rearward in a squealing cloud of tire smoke.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #26
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
I used to have a long, boring car commute, with about 40 miles on a deserted arrow-straight four lane state road.

Quite often I'd pass a car or move over to let a car pass only to find that I'd picked up a Road Buddy. No one around for miles, but the Road Buddy would target-lock on my car's left rear wheel, maintain station in the exact same relative position, and go back into their trance. Or whatever the hell it is people do when they're supposed to be driving.

So I'd slowly speed up or slow down and see how long it took that day's Road Buddy to wake up and notice.

Got a few of them up to over 90mph before they emerged from their meditations with a start and dropped off. One guy was still staring glassily straight ahead at 97mph and I'll admit I backed off before we did the Trance Ton.

Several maintained station down to 40mph and below.

The most fun of all was to get a Road Buddy up to about 75mph, then stomp the brakes hard. I'd swear you could hear the coma shatter as their spirit guide disappeared rearward in a squealing cloud of tire smoke.
No shit. People don't want to fucking pay attention, so they just tag along with the nearest vehicle. A lot of the idiots are using a pace car in their peripheral vision while they text. I feel like the smartest man alive some days, in that I figured out how a cruise control works.

When I pass with a moto, I don't dawdle, and I make sure to get some distance between us. I don't want somebody using only their peripheral vision to pace my moto while they sext and and apply their eyeliner.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #27
390beretta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,125
I'm a retired psychologist: There was a major study done some years ago at an Eastern university that concluded: "Anyone on a cell phone, (hands free or not)....or texting, obviously, is the equivalent of driving while intoxicated. I don't know why the laws have not yet taken that into account. An earlier poster said cell phones should not work if you're moving more than 5mph. I'm on that!
Old 08-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #28
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeybone View Post
what I get is they are going 5 to 10 mph under the speed limit, you try to pass and they speed up, so you go faster and they go faster so I pull in behind them,( now they are going fast enough) and they slow down.
I had this one this morning, driver was going maybe 50mph in a 55 zone, right until I am next to them passing.... fucker followed me up to 80, I backed off and dropped back in behind them and they proceeded to drop back to a leisurely 50mph again once it was no longer safe to pass...
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #29
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Don't give any indication whatsoever that you want to pass. Stay way back, look far ahead, when the opening is coming up, downshift a couple of gears, WFO throttle, time it perfectly, and blow their fuckin doors. Don't give them a chance. If I can do it on a Wee-Strom, surely some of you who ride much faster bikes can figure it out. Now if I had a ZX14 I would be dangerous.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #30
flumpmaster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
An earlier poster said cell phones should not work if you're moving more than 5mph. I'm on that!
What about cell phone users who are passengers? (either in a private vehicle or riding on a bus)
flumpmaster is offline   Reply With Quote