Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #31
57Stroker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
People need to be more careful. Motorcycles have been known to kick rocks up in the air. (Something about the way the tires are shaped). As a matter of fact, I have several rocks in the pockets of my jacket. I tell everyone that drives a car to watch out for flying rocks!
57Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:19 AM   #32
squirrelnator
Mystical Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
It is easier for them

It takes less effort to follow than to lead, to react than to act. These drivers are consciously or sub-consciously letting you do the "thinking" for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
No shit. People don't want to fucking pay attention, so they just tag along with the nearest vehicle. A lot of the idiots are using a pace car in their peripheral vision while they text. I feel like the smartest man alive some days, in that I figured out how a cruise control works.

When I pass with a moto, I don't dawdle, and I make sure to get some distance between us. I don't want somebody using only their peripheral vision to pace my moto while they sext and and apply their eyeliner.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:53 AM   #33
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,830
The term I've been using is "Basers."

I used to only have four categories of drivers:

Fast & Dangerous (teens)
Fast & Safe (some Europen drivers I've met)
Slow & Safe
Slow & Dangerous (used to apply to a large percentage of drivers who would buy new Buicks - their unpredictable stops, starts, turns have often caused accidents amongst other drivers, while being oblivious to it and often driving away as if they weren't the cause of it - saw, or heard about it, a lot when I was in EMS. Note that they didn't necessarily drive Buicks, lol - but often seemed to. These middle-aged people were never good at driving nor aware of traffic around them, even when they were younger. While not really old or senile, they probably should never have been given a driver's license, and probably would not have earned one in some country like Germany).

Baser

But then I noticed the trend that started in about the 1990's (probably due to cell phones, still not sure since not everyone was on a phone back then) where drivers 'Based' their speeds on vehicles around them. Now I wasn't even on a motorcycle while I was seeing this, so it has nothing to do with bikes. The Baser is driving some slower speed until my vehicle would casually get up alongside them on a highway for what should have been a slow pass, but instead they then match the speed of my truck (or whatever). Just like the second post in this thread - what Albie wrote seems correct... that there are too many distracted, unprofessional drivers out there.

The problem is that some Basers get all aggressive when they've been passed.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 08-10-2013 at 05:01 AM
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:33 AM   #34
D_A
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
I remember reading somewhere, a study or something, that unless you put a quick six car lengths between you and the vehicle you overtake they will tend to accelerate and stick with you, but after that they don't bother and you can settle down to a cruising speed without them trying to climb inside your shorts with you. I don't know how precise that is, but the behaviour pattern seems to hold more or less true.
That trance mentality kills a lot of road users, and not always just the ones in the trance.
D_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:44 AM   #35
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
In our household we call them "Bumper Leaches". You pass them, and as you are almost past they speed up and maintain your speed so they can stay in your blind spot. Or, if you pass on the right, they speed up so that you stay in their blind spot. I'm amazed at how well some people can synchronize their speeds with you using just their peripheral vision and sub conscious.

I agree that it's mostly inattentive drivers doing this. They aren't paying attention to driving their own vehicle and are relying on you to do the thinking for them.

These are usually the same people going 40 in a 55 on a twisty road, who then speed up to 75 when you get to the passing zone. I think that these people really think they are doing us a favor since they know they have been slowing us down and now they are trying to get out of our way on the straighter sections. It never dawns on them that letting us pass would be the best way to get out of our way.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:52 AM   #36
T
FKA cyclingtom

Oddometer: 4,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer View Post
Cell phone manufacturers need to make the phones unusable if they are moving faster than five mph. That's my take.
^ This ^

The technology (GPS receiver) is out there.

Caller would only be able to place one call (911) in excess of 5mph.

Cellular providers would probably fight such legislation....biting into the profit structure.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:56 AM   #37
D_A
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
I had an incident some years ago. I was riding towards Sydney (Australia) on the Great Western Highway and some jackass in a land-barge (Ford Falcon, XE or XF for those that know them) was sticking to my arse like a half wiped turd. I refused to let him push me, and any sudden movements could have put me under his bumper, so he sat there right where he was dangerous to me. We hit the bottom of Mt Victoria pass, a 45Kph left hander which I regularly took at 90 without braking ... but as it turned out that was a little too quick for him and sliding onto the opposite side of the road broke his trance and got him off my ass quite effectively. I don't know if he was tailgating me deliberately or if he'd just fixated on my tail light, but he was gone by the second corner.
D_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:06 AM   #38
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I used to car pool with a lady who couldn't stand to be passed. When someone passed her (she always did the speed limit on the dot) she would turn on her high beams until they were some distance ahead. She also believed she was correct to do the speed limit in the passing lane, even though I pointed out the "slower traffic must keep right sign". She said she wasn't slow traffic, since she was doing the speed limit. I didn't get too confrontational about it, since she was saving me a ton of gas money.
the signs don't say 'slow traffic,' they say 'slower traffic' that means any time there is a speed differential, the slower car should be on the right. the speed limit is not a gauge for being slow nor fast.
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:31 AM   #39
tapdiggy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4fun View Post
... The light changes and they sit, I don't honk I just go around. Boy do they get upset...
That is a dangerous habit. Since anyone on the road is responsible for the space in front of them (their direction of travel, following distance, etc.), it is unwise to move into said space of an inattentive driver. If they aren't watching the light, they are less likely to see you.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #40
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by flumpmaster View Post
What about cell phone users who are passengers? (either in a private vehicle or riding on a bus)

Worth it. People can put their fucking phones down for 20 minutes. Try it.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #41
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_A View Post
I remember reading somewhere, a study or something, that unless you put a quick six car lengths between you and the vehicle you overtake they will tend to accelerate and stick with you, but after that they don't bother and you can settle down to a cruising speed without them trying to climb inside your shorts with you. I don't know how precise that is, but the behaviour pattern seems to hold more or less true.
This has been my observation when driving on freeways away from the cities. So I make it a point to get those six car lengths right away so that I can settle back into a comfortable pace.

I can remember once driving on a freeway in southern Idaho when there were several cars that just insisted on sticking close to me. I finally ran it up to 90 mph for several minutes to get far enough away from them that they couldn't base their speed on mine. I then settled back to the speed I had originally been going and never saw them again.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #42
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer View Post

Cell phone manufacturers need to make the phones unusable if they are moving faster than five mph. That's my take.
I've thought about that as well, but what happens to the passenger in the car? Is their phone unusable while moving? There's a solution somewhere, but I don't think that's it.

'07 KTM 250 XC-F
Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #43
Robert_W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Interesting thread. Most of the time I agree with blowing right past and putting some distance between you and the driver.

A couple years back on my GT coming out of the Columbia Gorge on I-84 I go by some asshat in a suburban at a leisurely pace and he decides he's going to ride up my ass. Even at 90+ mph. So I back off and let him have it. No big deal. But no. He's an asshole and he's going to screw with me. So he backs off and rides my ass again. Down to like 55. So I slam the throttle and see him trying to keep pace in the mirror slowly fading well behind. At something like 130+ mph I go under an over pass with a cop blowing laser / radar. No time to do anything about it other than go "Oh shit...I'm screwed". Saw the lights come on but I was so far away so quickly that I quickly lost sight. I slowed to the speed limit for the next 10 miles or more thinking sooner than later he would catch up. Never saw the cop or the guy in the suburban again. I'm guessing that he probably got one hell of a ticket!
www.kroutfitters.com
Robert_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #44
ozmoses OP
Ride On

Oddometer: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W View Post
Interesting thread. Most of the time I agree with blowing right past and putting some distance between you and the driver.

A couple years back on my GT coming out of the Columbia Gorge on I-84 I go by some asshat in a suburban at a leisurely pace and he decides he's going to ride up my ass. Even at 90+ mph. So I back off and let him have it. No big deal. But no. He's an asshole and he's going to screw with me. So he backs off and rides my ass again. Down to like 55. So I slam the throttle and see him trying to keep pace in the mirror slowly fading well behind. At something like 130+ mph I go under an over pass with a cop blowing laser / radar. No time to do anything about it other than go "Oh shit...I'm screwed". Saw the lights come on but I was so far away so quickly that I quickly lost sight. I slowed to the speed limit for the next 10 miles or more thinking sooner than later he would catch up. Never saw the cop or the guy in the suburban again. I'm guessing that he probably got one hell of a ticket!

This is the scenario I am talking about vs Pacers on the slab.

So, you hit 130mph in an effort to put safe distance between you, not race.

While it may have been fun (?) and conditions permitted doing so, clearly it was not safe for you. This is the issue, a legal pass without or, frankly, with attitude putting the rider in danger because motorist now feels, what? Challenged, "Disrespected"? (I loathe that term).

Twisting the throttle has largely been my go-to option as well; what if you can't?

I've seen a rider hit by a car while lane splitting- it was no accident.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #45
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
I've thought about that as well, but what happens to the passenger in the car? Is their phone unusable while moving? There's a solution somewhere, but I don't think that's it.
My thoughts too. It just punishes everyone, including passengers and I bet there would be an App that let's you get around that, so it wouldn't work anyway.
The real issue is that there are no consequences for poor driving behavior. As long as you aren't speeding, you can get away with shitty driving. People out here can NOT stay in their own lane. They wander and since the lanes are big, they don't hit anything, so the behavior continues...
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote