Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #46
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
Don't give any indication whatsoever that you want to pass. Stay way back, look far ahead, when the opening is coming up, downshift a couple of gears, WFO throttle, time it perfectly, and blow their fuckin doors. Don't give them a chance. If I can do it on a Wee-Strom, surely some of you who ride much faster bikes can figure it out. Now if I had a ZX14 I would be dangerous.
I even do this on a DR.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #47
Offcenter
On The Road Again!

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by GapRunr View Post
In our household we call them "Bumper Leaches". You pass them, and as you are almost past they speed up and maintain your speed so they can stay in your blind spot...
They aren't paying attention to driving their own vehicle and are relying on you to do the thinking for them.
I call 'em sheep. Watch a herd of sheep move. One sheep will lead and all the others will put their head alongside the rump of the one ahead and follow along.
These people can't (or won't) drive on their own. They use you for their autopilot, consciously or unconsciously.
I used to drive a tractor trailer. These knuckleheads would park the nose of their car alongside the last axle of my trailer, blocking my emergency escape route into the next lane. I came up with a way to get rid of 'em.
I would start a slow weave with the truck from dotted line to dotted line, staying within my lane. Sure enough, that car would be weaving with me....for 30 seconds or so, until it started making 'em dizzy. Then they'd come blasting by blowing their horn and throwing me the finger!

77 Honda CT-90
76 Honda GL-1000
Offcenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:24 AM   #48
Midnullarbor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Good work there, Offcenter.

And for the cellphone "must, gotta, absolutely have to use" by the passengers . . . aw come on now !!
Yeah, I know, there are a lot of people who fear dying a social death if they are not yakking continually on a cellphone, or texting. They really need to toughen up . . . before they contribute to a real death. It's not a big ask. If the conversation is really, really, really urgently important, then ask the driver to pull over and stop. Or if they're in a bus, then explain the situation to their neighbours, who will be happy to confirm that with a democratic vote ~ and that would filter out the "I'm too impatient to wait 20 minutes" type of calls.

Tens of millions of cellphone calls an hour . . . maybe one in 10,000 that are justifiably actually urgent enough to halt the vehicle.

I won't dwell on the annoyance saved (for the other bus passengers) or the distraction a yakking car passenger provides for the car driver (who's unable to avoid getting at least mentally involved with the phone conversation).
Midnullarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:28 AM   #49
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
I've thought about that as well, but what happens to the passenger in the car? Is their phone unusable while moving? There's a solution somewhere, but I don't think that's it.
Yes, their phone is unusable. So fucking what?

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:46 AM   #50
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
So fucking stupid suggestion.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:17 AM   #51
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnullarbor View Post
Good work there, Offcenter.

And for the cellphone "must, gotta, absolutely have to use" by the passengers . . . aw come on now !!
Yeah, I know, there are a lot of people who fear dying a social death if they are not yakking continually on a cellphone, or texting. They really need to toughen up . . . before they contribute to a real death. It's not a big ask. If the conversation is really, really, really urgently important, then ask the driver to pull over and stop. Or if they're in a bus, then explain the situation to their neighbours, who will be happy to confirm that with a democratic vote ~ and that would filter out the "I'm too impatient to wait 20 minutes" type of calls.

Tens of millions of cellphone calls an hour . . . maybe one in 10,000 that are justifiably actually urgent enough to halt the vehicle.

I won't dwell on the annoyance saved (for the other bus passengers) or the distraction a yakking car passenger provides for the car driver (who's unable to avoid getting at least mentally involved with the phone conversation).
Ok. People will just get a mobile wifi device from their cell company and make calls over wifi using Apps like Textnow (works on smartphones, tablets, regular computers - call or text over wifi).
This tech already exists so your solution is already obsolete.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #52
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnullarbor View Post
Some of you apparently live in an alternate reality.

I'm not a heavy cell phone user, probably averaging less than two calls a day, but when I need to drive 200 miles to go visit my daughter, and my wife is with me, the cell phone is a great way to make plans for the rest of the day while we're on our way there. While were droning down I-5 it's also a great time to get caught up with other family members that we usually don't have the time to talk to. As the driver, I'm not doing the talking, my passenger wife is.

Although I feel strongly against using cell phones while driving, I'm even more strongly against trying to make the devices themselves police that behavior. You guys are proposing something that is unreasonable if more carefully thought through, looking at it from all sides.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:55 AM   #53
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,438
I like other road users talking and texting while driving... It makes my rides more fun and engaging.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #54
Midnullarbor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Scottrnelson, It's far from unreasonable . . . and I hope you will drive on "alternative" roads to me.
But relax, you know that a cellphone block won't happen any time soon.

Silk, there's something in what you say.
The hi-tech desperadoes will chase down something so that they can keep on yakking . . . but 75% of clueless car drivers would be stymied by a cellphone block.
(I didn't specify how a block could be achieved ~ but there's usually more than one way to kill a cat.)

But it's only pipe-dreaming about a more sensible world.
We all know that no block is going to occur, because it would mean millions of votes lost.
What's a few thousand road deaths against a few million votes?
Exactly.

I was really just making the point (for those who hadn't given it much thought) that there's no good reason for opposing what OUGHT to be.

Yeah, there's a lot of things that "ought" to be, in this world of ours . . . but they can only ever have a chance of happening, if enough people get their heads on straight. The chances may be small, but if the issues are simply put in the too-hard basket and ignored . . . then the chances are zilch.

But this is getting further off-topic.
Midnullarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #55
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,400
What I see a lot of around here in Northern AR is the herd mentality mentioned by a couple others. I constantly come up on a train of vehicles. Obviously at some point they were all going faster then the jackass in the lead, but they just tuck in behind him, making it a real ordeal since you pretty much have to pass the whole heard because they are all riding right up on each others ass. They simply refuse to pass when they have the chance preferring to move along in the slow speed herd. The problem is, it's so hilly and twisty around here that passing lanes are few and far between, and most times they're very short.

The other issue besides distracted drivers is we've got a lot of older people that just drive soooo damn slow! they drop down to 35 or 40 MPH in places that I can easily do the 55 MPH limit in my damn truck pulling a trailer!

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #56
______
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
We have a pretty lightly traveled freeway near here and I always set my cruise (in the car) as soon as I'm up to speed. I'm amazed at how often I will go past someone only to have them pass me and slow down several times before I do the break away.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #57
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
Don't give any indication whatsoever that you want to pass. Stay way back, look far ahead, when the opening is coming up, downshift a couple of gears, WFO throttle, time it perfectly, and blow their fuckin doors. Don't give them a chance. If I can do it on a Wee-Strom, surely some of you who ride much faster bikes can figure it out. Now if I had a ZX14 I would be dangerous.
Yes sir. Learned this from my days riding a cb350f. The well timed sneak attack pass was the only way.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:33 AM   #58
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Because you or some politician wants to decide what's important to me? Not working for me. Sorry.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:55 AM   #59
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,192
Easy solution to the cell phone problem:
- Make using a cell phone while driving a felony
- make texting while driving a felony
- enforce the hell out of these new laws and take peoples licenses away
- if you are involved in an accident, subpoena cell phone records, if the driver was on the phone: felony and license lost - same as a DUI
- you kill somebody in an accident, were on the phone, distracted driving manslaughter charges with serious consequences

The State of Washington, for example, imposes life imprisonment for homicide by vehicle with DUI. Iowa imposes a 25 year sentence for homicide by vehicle-DUI.

Is this phone call really that important, or updating your facebook status, or getting that text message off?

If it seriously starts affecting peoples pocket books, and their legal ability to drive things will get better. If people still choose to do these things they can pay the price...
Navy Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:13 AM   #60
Chuck Pryce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Consequence........ I like it.
Chuck Pryce is offline   Reply With Quote