Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #91
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoses View Post
Herb-

I too have been making it a point to signal.

For a while I was using hand signals-lazy. Plus, I began to think about burnishing the electrical contacts on the older bikes.

Signalling, w/ the directionals, does somehow seem less aggressive and more assertive.

'Cuz, you know, we don't want anyone to feel disrespected...
There's no disrespect involved in being passed. I don't have a problem with being passed. I don't believe that using a turn signal does much of anything. It used to be that one could signal an intent to pass with a short horn toot, but all it does now is invite a brake check. My opinion is that the guy driving the car with his SO in the passenger seat either feels jealous that he's not the one out there in the wind having fun or that he feels emasculated in front of his sweetie because she's eyeing up the "real man" on the motorcycle.

All I want to do is get by quickly. Ideally, I'll be by before the driver can react, and be on my way.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #92
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,065
I try to amke it quick, make it assertive, and leave them a long, long way behind.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #93
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Fricking scat throwing primates
I'm stealing that, I am.

Quote:
will slog along at 10mph less than the speed limit, get to a passing zone and they STAND on the throttle. If you go to pass, they will hang you out to dry, the scumbags.
Their justification is "they had to get in front of that slow moving car ahead". Every one of them, including the slow car at the head of the pack.

Quote:
I was in a group of six bikes, we followed a slow car patiently for miles, when a passing zone came, we zipped past and resumed posted speed limit. The douche bag called the cops, who pulled us over (after meeting us oncoming, radar on, NO speed limit violated) and fucked with us for 30 minutes. The fucking steaming turd.
You probably broke his concentration and made him lose his erection.

I really need to research waterproof, discrete, "dash cam" applications.

Oh, people that like to match speeds then tune out: On a bike, I break contact as soon as possible. In the cage, I've been known to mess with them. If you do it slowly, you can get them to speed up or slow down with you. I towed one guy up to 85mph (in a 65) once before I threw out the anchor and left him sailing along by himself.

dwoodward screwed with this post 08-16-2013 at 09:15 AM
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #94
WetSideRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
That's only slightly more annoying than the drivers that come up on me 10-15 mph faster than I'm going, get right on my tail and stay there. Happens most often on I-70 and for the life of me I don't know why they don't just pass me and resume the prior speed!!! I'll speed up, they stay with me, slow down to 40-50 mph, they stay right there. It's happened far too often to be a fluke. WTF?
Texting and using you as a peripheral vision "pacer" so they don't have to think about driving. This is common where I live.
WetSideRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #95
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 673
Was once stuck behind a Wis State Trooper, behind two leading cars, both which were only going 52 mph in a 55 zone on a two-lane highway. BIG line of cars stacked up behind this group because the lead car would NOT even get near 55 because of the trooper. I felt it was more unsafe to remain in this tight pack.

My first attempt to pass the trooper and two cars was thwarted by an approaching "No Passing" zone so I ducked back in line behind the trooper. My next attempt, I pulled out, then saw the next NO PASSING zone ahead, so I nailed it, passed the trooper and two cars quickly and safely. Got in the lead position, set the cruise on 62 and motored on.

Trooper never did a thing. I watched the long line of headlights behind me for miles afterward, but I was safely in a clear zone with no other cars. Pack driving is less safe to me than a single vehicle.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #96
seuadr
Wee-stromer

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post

Oh, people that like to match speeds then tune out: On a bike, I break contact as soon as possible. In the cage, I've been known to mess with them. If you do it slowly, you can get them to speed up or slow down with you. I towed one guy up to 85mph (in a 65) once before I threw out the anchor and left him sailing along by himself.
i call this rabbiting - like a greyhound chasing a rabbit.
my wife used to complain about it, but now she finds it as entertaining as i do.
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #97
echo15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
I don't really mean to hijack this thread (much), but WTH is it that the offender (someone who pulls out in front of you or in any other way almost causes your death and is by ANY standard the one at fault) feel the need to flip you (the one who did not F-up) off?
Old 08-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #98
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo15 View Post
I don't really mean to hijack this thread (much), but WTH is it that the offender (someone who pulls out in front of you or in any other way almost causes your death and is by ANY standard the one at fault) feel the need to flip you (the one who did not F-up) off?
That's to show you how much he values your life.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #99
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,980
Pass-ive agggressive
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22133696

I have seen this lately too. Driving to work I see plenty of bad driving. I usually honk if someone is close to causing an accident with me. In other words, if I have to hit the brakes because they wake up and realize the exit they want is right there...anyhow, my honks are 95% met with the bird. Really? Cut across my bow through 3 lanes of traffic and I'm the asshole?
I guess what amazes me is that they don't bother to look before they move but they do bother to flip me off. It just doesn't add up to me.
My guess is these are the people that blame everyone else for everything that happens. It is never their fault.
That freedom from responsibility must be liberating :-)
SilkMoneyLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #100
ozmoses OP
Ride On

Oddometer: 3,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo15 View Post

What it is: we need to cull the herd.

Radically.

I'd like to say 50% but would settle for 30%.

Sorry.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #101
Midnullarbor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Yep, it is never their fault.
Can't possibly be their fault ~ so any criticism of their driving must be wrong, and deserving of "the bird" response.

From an observer's point of view, the use of the bird seems an excellent marker for a bad driver.
If I only see the final half of some traffic incident involving a squeal of rubber or horn blast . . . then a quick check of who's waving bird is enough to tell me that's the driver at fault.
Accuracy 99+%
Midnullarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #102
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyvh1959 View Post
Was once stuck behind a Wis State Trooper, behind two leading cars, both which were only going 52 mph in a 55 zone on a two-lane highway. BIG line of cars stacked up behind this group because the lead car would NOT even get near 55 because of the trooper. I felt it was more unsafe to remain in this tight pack.

My first attempt to pass the trooper and two cars was thwarted by an approaching "No Passing" zone so I ducked back in line behind the trooper. My next attempt, I pulled out, then saw the next NO PASSING zone ahead, so I nailed it, passed the trooper and two cars quickly and safely. Got in the lead position, set the cruise on 62 and motored on.

Trooper never did a thing. I watched the long line of headlights behind me for miles afterward, but I was safely in a clear zone with no other cars. Pack driving is less safe to me than a single vehicle.
+1, proper thinking.

Taking the chance to get out of such a situation, and then the chance of getting pulled over, is kidna worth it.

A guess - if you're a trooper, please correct me if I'm wrong - the trooper would have had to record your pass at an actual speed to ticket you for something other than unsafe driving. Yes, you may have been going faster than him when he was doing exactly the speed limit (some other time, not for your post), but if he's stuck back behind slow cars... it's not like he could clock you or radar you.

Some police will hold that a passing zone is meant to pass up to the normal speed limit, yet no more... but thankfully some police are flexible in that area.

I used to motorcycle commute just about exactly 80 miles a day (for well over a year and a half, non-stop despite even tropical storms). 70 miles of each day were 8 lane highway. There were many times I came upon a Sheriff's Deputy or Trooper who was stuck in trafic too afraid to move (keep in mind that many drivers here in south Florida don't have the insurance they are supposed to have, don't have valid DL's, etc.). I would pass then.

Also, in really rainy conditions when most cars - even those with good tires - couldn't do 55 MPH without hydroplaning, my bikes' tires easily cut through the standing water and allowed me to do 20 MPH faster, or more, on the highway portions of the commutes. I'd pass police cars when it would have been too dangerous for them to even do the same speed as I could, let alone try to speed up to catch me.

I think I've even had a car or two hydroplance and wreck because they saw how fast I was going, and tried to match. Not my problem - one does not stop, for anything, when on I-95 in south Florida unless that person doesn't value their life. I've passed too many bodies on the highway that attest to that.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #103
Twinz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
My two friends and I have been taking a 2 week spring ride from Vermont down the Appalachians to north Georgia for 20 years now. So, we end up in some very rural places (and continually look for more!). While it had never happened before, for the past couple of years we have found ourselves following behind a pokey pick-up (sometimes another type of vehicle - not to just single out pick-ups...but it's mostly pick-ups!) whose driver gets so offended that we want to pass that they actually swing out to block us from passing...crazy behavior. Now I understand that Vermonters are different because in our state it's legal to pass on a yellow line...if it's a safe pass. So, we get used to passing on a yellow if it looks okay (and it often does to a motorcyclist who has some horsepower and who is following a Sunday driver). Are these "blockers" trying to enforce the law? Are they pissed off because we want to go faster than they want us to go? Since they cannot see our VT plates, it's not because they dislike damned Yankees. They just seem like they want to enforce the law by blocking our passes...but that's only after the first guy has zipped past seemingly to offend them. Years ago that wouldn't happen anywhere near as frequently as it does today!
'94 R1100RS, '84 R100CS, '76 R75/6 (S fairing)
'80 Guzzi V50 II, '73 Guzzi V7 Sport
Twinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #104
ozmoses OP
Ride On

Oddometer: 3,107
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Roadtards.

An increasingly common and dangerous breed.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:47 AM   #105
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
My two friends and I have been taking a 2 week spring ride from Vermont down the Appalachians to north Georgia for 20 years now. So, we end up in some very rural places (and continually look for more!). While it had never happened before, for the past couple of years we have found ourselves following behind a pokey pick-up (sometimes another type of vehicle - not to just single out pick-ups...but it's mostly pick-ups!) whose driver gets so offended that we want to pass that they actually swing out to block us from passing...crazy behavior. Now I understand that Vermonters are different because in our state it's legal to pass on a yellow line...if it's a safe pass. So, we get used to passing on a yellow if it looks okay (and it often does to a motorcyclist who has some horsepower and who is following a Sunday driver). Are these "blockers" trying to enforce the law? Are they pissed off because we want to go faster than they want us to go? Since they cannot see our VT plates, it's not because they dislike damned Yankees. They just seem like they want to enforce the law by blocking our passes...but that's only after the first guy has zipped past seemingly to offend them. Years ago that wouldn't happen anywhere near as frequently as it does today!
I have that happen occasionally. In 2006 on US-522 South of Sperryville Virginia. Woman in a big pick up going 45 mph. Damn pissed that a motorcycle wanted to pass her. My first attempt was a lazy, low rpm pass because I wasn't expecting the behaviour. 2nd attempt was done with more authoritae and more rpm. Then the bitch sped up and stayed on my ass for a couple miles. I, to this day, have no idea WTF was up with her.

In 2003, south of Walden Colorado on CO-125. Out in the middle of nowhere with no traffic. Rolled up on some d00d in an old pick up. He was going about 40 mph. I'm rolling about 55 mph. I eased out to pass and he blocked me! Fucker! Second attempt was a full throttle and I blew right by.

I haven't had it happen much lately. I'm more likely to pass with authoritae these days.
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote