User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #61
XSpearsX OP
Dakar Widow

Oddometer: 488
It's that time!

Guess it's time for me to get online and ready.

Rider David Reeve and his personal support, CB1, CB2 and Gilly have arrived in Argentina.

Mechanics Scott Spears and Jaime Valdez have arrived.

Our riders Kevin Muggleton, Peter Hardy, Mateo Moreno and Marco Saldarriaga and crew are arriving Jan 1st.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #62
johnBOYhenson
rallye intern

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSpearsX View Post
Guess it's time for me to get online and ready.

Rider David Reeve and his personal support, CB1, CB2 and Gilly have arrived in Argentina.

Mechanics Scott Spears and Jaime Valdez have arrived.

Our riders Kevin Muggleton, Peter Hardy, Mateo Moreno and Marco Saldarriaga and crew are arriving Jan 1st.
In!

Looking forward to following your team! You guys are the closest group, geographically, that's racing. I'm in Atlanta, so, somehow that makes me, all the more, your fan!!

Go get em'
Old 12-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #63
XSpearsX OP
Dakar Widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBOYhenson View Post
In!

Looking forward to following your team! You guys are the closest group, geographically, that's racing. I'm in Atlanta, so, somehow that makes me, all the more, your fan!!

Go get em'
We are based out of Kansas City and representing riders from all over!
Peter Hardy - USA
Kevin Muggleton - UK/USA
David Reeve - Africa
Marco Saldarriaga - Colombia
Mateo Moreno - Colombia

Even though we don't have a "150" this year - it's going to be just as exciting with the riders we are supporting!
Old 12-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #64
XSpearsX OP
Dakar Widow

David Reeve

David Reeve met and dressed his rally bike today!

I posted a few other pictures on our facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/FreedomRallyRacing
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #65
XSpearsX OP
Dakar Widow

Dakar videos and pictures

I've been adding pictures and a video today from what's going on in Argentinia on our facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/FreedomRallyRacing

Here's a video today of our rider David Reeve #102. I'm hoping to get videos throughout the race from all the riders. That will depend on events and internet connection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIDroGuu6O8
Old 01-03-2014, 03:20 PM   #66
h2o_snow
Water, snow & dirt too.

Oddometer: 710
In.

Good luck Freedom Rally riders!
Over the hills where the spirits fly,
I really don't know.
h2o_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:26 PM   #67
XSpearsX OP
Dakar Widow

1/3/2014: Few small hiccups, but nothing major. All our bikes are now through technical scrutiny...and heading to Parc Ferme! Podium tomorrow!!!!!

I added a bunch of new photos on our facebook from today.

Good news - as long as there is cell reception, this year I have much better contact with our crew members! Can;t promise they always have phones on them, or good reception....but updates should be more reliable....making a tad less stressful on me this year!
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2014, 02:36 PM   #68
barkbuster67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Following along....Good luck to the whole team and crew!!!!!
barkbuster67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:07 PM   #69
XSpearsX OP
Dakar Widow

Stage 1 recap

Really everything is in the dakar thread but todays recap:

Stage 1 completed! 100% successful day! All riders are in. I will add any "day 1 recap" I receive from riders or crew in this thread. That will depend on cell reception in the bivouac...(and could be a day delayed)

Freedom Rally Racing standings are as follows:

1. David Reeve - started #102 - ended stage 1 #33
2. Mateo Moreno K - started #184 - stage 1 #64
3. Marco Antonio Saldarriaga - started #185 - stage 1 #103
4. Kevin Muggleton - started #186 - stage 1 #120
5. Peter Hardy - started #167 - stage 1 #154

Not only did each one complete Stage 1 - they all moved up in standings. What a way to finish the 1st day!

Stage 1 Kevin Muggleton says: Great day at the office, 13 hours on the bike, loved every minute of it.

Stage 1 updated from David Reeve: He has had a very good day and very cheerful and strong and says that he is comfortable. He would like to thank everyone for the support - it keeps him going.

He will change back to the standard KTM clutch tonight.

Sherry gave him a photo of Tom that he loves to bits and is up in his bedroom. A huge inspiration.

(For new fans, Tom Reeve is David's late father and the founder of the modern era of offroad and mx in Zambia, a true legend whose boots David has filled magnificently over the years)
Old 01-06-2014, 02:04 PM   #70
ADK
_____

Oddometer: 8,094
this thread needs a sticky.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:08 PM   #71
XSpearsX OP
Dakar Widow

Stage 1

As you know by now David has had a very good day. He came in very chuffed with his progress today and on the debrief with Scott, handled the issues that he had problems with on the bike very professionally.

Scott, Jaime and Michael have been very good to us. The problems that David had with the bike are not serious and are fixable with most being simple adjustments for comfort and handling.

The most serious problem was the issue of the behavior of the Rekluse Clutch that was fitted to the bike by Scott just before the bike went for Technical Verification on the 3rd January. David has used this type and make of clutch before and he really likes them. As he has broken his wrist in previous events, it assists him to keep pressure off the wrist when he is riding. David and Scott have decided to refit the Standard KTM Clutch pack that made way for the Rekluse Clutch back into the bike, and Scott has done that this afternoon. So all should be good with the clutch tomorrow.

David is very cheerfull. He managed to get a good shower in the RV avoiding the long walk from our pit to the showers, which was a bonus. He then walked down to check out results with me. He is lying 33rd at the moment after today and 2nd in the Rookie class. All in all a really good result for the 1st day.

Tomorrow is a normal day at the office for all of us. David starts at 05:00 hrs sharp (10:00 hrs Zambian time)

The stage is between San Luis and San Rafael.

Liason 1: 304 kms Tar.
Special Stage: 359 kms comprising sections of narrow windy fast road, also sections of sand dunes with huge drop offs are expected in this special. This could be a difficult special.
Liason 2: 62 kms Tar.
Total stage length: 724 kms

Assistance Route for the RV and the Service crew is 305 kms. This is good as we should be in Pits ready for David when he gets in. We feel it is vital that one of the team meet him at the entrance so he doesn’t spend ages trying to find us. It also lifts his spirits to see a friendly face at the end of the days racing.

David is currently in the RV preparing his Road book for the morning with Brett “Smiley” Cummings who had a reasonable day today. Soon Gilly will pack them both off to bed so that they are fresh for the morning.

_------------------------

Kevin Muggleton says: Great day at the office, 13 hours on the bike, loved every minute of it.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:10 PM   #72
XSpearsX OP
Dakar Widow

Stage 2 update

David Reeve Stage 2 update: David is back in the Bivvy safe and sound, coming in about 20 mins ago. He is knackered having had a hard day in the saddle.

The 1st stages of the day were a liaison along a tar road out to the “Special.” The liaison was very long. We were passed by plenty of riders on their way out to the liaison and already it was noticeable the levels of fatigue this race is going to put these guys to. Some were sitting on one bum cheek, others hanging their le...gs off foot pegs, some weaving on the road a little. It’s only the 2nd day in and already it’s very hard work.

The special or “racing stage” was no exception. The 1st part of this was a flat out slog on a gravel road. DR managed to get past the quads who kick up dust on a wide section of gravel so no dangerous manoeuvres required to keep up. He said his throttle was pinned wide open through this section. Then came the dunes. 100 kms of them. The sand was soft and hard work. The dunes were tall so if you didn’t manage to get up in one attempt you had to come all the way down and start again. Energy sapping stuff.

He knows the Rekluse would have made the day easier for him, but it’s too late to dwell on that now. We may get Scott to replace the Rekluse back into the bike for Chile next week as there is plenty of dunes there. The rest of the stages in Argentina do not contain much in the way of sand.

So he’s just had a nice cool RV shower and is having a short rest now. Its 16:00 hrs Argentina time. We will make sure he has lots of food tonight. The food in the Bivvy is very good.

I will know tomorrows start times etc later.

The bike is getting some TLC right now from Scott and Jaime. DR has a Marathon stage for the next 2 days which means we don’t see him for 2 days. This makes the TLC the bike is getting now even more important as it has to last 2 days without FRR’s Technicians touching it.

Riaan (van Niekerk) spoke to Gilly earlier after his return. He had a difficult day as well.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #73
XSpearsX OP
Dakar Widow

Marco Saldarriaga & Mateo Moreno Stage 2 update: Very hard stage, many stones, many fell. Coming in together ranked 86 and 84
Old 01-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #74
XSpearsX OP
Dakar Widow

From Kevin Muggleton: Brutal stage!! About 80miles from end of dunes, waiting for bike to cool down. Looks like I'll be needing water from the emergency tank to fill coolant. Lots of bikes down, unfortunately medivac helicopters
Old 01-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #75
XSpearsX OP
Dakar Widow

Stage 2 Kevin Muggleton

From Kevin Muggleton: Ran out of fuel 3km from end of special. Huge respect to Jan from Czech #68 five times dakar racer for getting me across the line

He's getting gas now and says he 100% knackered from the special.