Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Oddometer: 783
Laugh Fernie & Back - 9 days riding around the Kootenays, BC - Canada

Naomi writes...

Day 1

So what makes adventure riding adventurous? For us it usually means getting lost more than once, crashing a bike or two... and when riding a BMW some sort of mechanical failure

Having broken my foot playing soccer in May this was my first riding opportunity of the year. We were going to the Kootenays, back road style.

We set off for the 11:50a ferry at Fulford, and made it with plenty of time. While waiting for the ferry to get in a nice couple started chatting us up about bikes. They asked how we liked the F800 GSs, to which Alberto replied saying that it was a love-hate relationship... with more hate than love as of late . He went on to explain that the reason was, that too many things had gone wrong while we owned the bikes. The ferry arrived and the couple returned to their car. While we were waiting for the cars to unload Alberto noticed a puddle of some sort of fluid near my bike. He'd just oiled the chain but this was a rather large puddle and after closer inspection it was clearly coming from somewhere other than the chain CRAP. We quickly exited the ferry line-up to figure out what was going on. My rear shock was dripping like a leaky faucet, we were going nowhere. We only had one option, ride back home. I was ready to throw this BMW piece of something in a dumpster at that point

We made it home okay and started to assess the damage. By that time the constant drip was gone, only because there was very little oil left in the shock. My dad came home from lunch and was surprised to still see us, since he knew we were planning to leave earlier. We showed him the damage and out came the Haynes manual. Nothing useful in there so out came the laptop. My dad offered up his rear shock so Alberto got to work changing it out. A few hours later my bike was back in business, but my dads bike looked a bit violated and sad

We were able to catch another ferry and made it to the mainland around 6pm. Boarding the ferry was surprisingly chaotic and we were disappointed not to be the first vehicles off. We quickly hit the highway to make up for lost time. It was pretty much straight sailing except for a quick stop in Abbotsford for gas and a Subway for dinner. The pace was really good, which I guess is probably typical for that time of night, on highway 3. We made quick progress and found ourselves a campground in Manning Park for the night. We were both starting to get the shivers by the time we stopped. Another exciting day with the Beemers!

Shocking failure?

The donor bike

BC offers plenty of twisties

Camping @ Manning Park

betitolara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
Toiretto
Getting into it!

Oddometer: 50
Look forward for the updates!
Toiretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Following along just to see if the f800's make itYou guys sure stick with those bikes through thick and thin.
Saludos
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toiretto View Post
Look forward for the updates!
We'll do our best to entertain you!
Old 08-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Following along just to see if the f800's make itYou guys sure stick with those bikes through thick and thin.
Saludos
Welcome aboard!
Naomi's bike didn't cooperate after the first 13 kms but we're lucky to have a 3rd GS in the garage for 'spare parts'
Old 08-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Day 2

We were up pretty early, considering the late hour we got to sleep. Back into our old routines we made breakfast and packed up. Packing started to get a little frustrating after I realized I messed up Garmin and no longer had the ability to navigate. Not impressed with my performance. Then to make matters worse the mosquitoes realized we were up and they came to have their breakfast. We both go chomped on the forehead. Argh. Not the best start to the morning

Realizing that 'Garminio' was dead weight: iPad to the rescue!

The early morning ride was nice. We cruised into Princeton and gassed up. The temperature had risen significantly as we descended into the valley. We left the highway shortly after Hedley and climbed into the hills on an amazing switch-backing track. We got a great view from the top. We continued on the road passing some cows and eventually coming across a Barrick minesite. No Garmin so we just made it up as we went.

Finally off the pavement

Great views from the climb up

Looks fun eh?

Mark Hedley on your map and take the dirt road up

Old Barrick Mine

From the saddle

As we started to approach the Apex ski area Alberto was wondering how people got up there. Then we hit the payment and he realized I had taken him in the back way. Most ski area users probably choose the paved road haha. There were some cute houses at Apex and the road down into Penticton was quite enjoyable. Some nice switchbacks and a pretty decent road surface. Alberto was wishing we had a similar road on Salt Spring. He declared that he would buy a house at the top of the hill just so he could ride his bike up and down every day

Nice road down from Apex ski area

We took a pit stop at a Husky gas station in Penticton in the shade. A nice older gentleman with a DR650 gave us some route and dining advice. We chose to grab a snack from our own stash instead of dining at the Lost Moose Lodge Resort. Our route took us into the hills once again, leaving the highway behind. But not before our real estate detour, code for admiring nice houses while getting lost. Back on track we found that the road was wide and smooth. We saw a few other vehicles and lots of dust. Not the best riding but the sun was shining and the sky was blue.

Outskirts hills of Penticton: bring a dirt bike next time!

The big dirt highway spat us back out on highway 33 somewhere. We cruised north for a few kilometers before ducking back into the woods. This second road of the day was more fun. Single vehicle width with some challenging rocky sections to keep me on my toes. Overall a more engaging road than earlier in the day. Towards the end of the day Alberto found a "playground" while we were searching for a campsite. He played while I read my map trying to figure out where we were.

We got a little confused trying to find a campsite. There were lots of different roads and lakes and no signage. We made a couple of wrong decisions but eventually more by chance than anything else found a campground. It ended up being the campground we were originally looking for. Ha, what are the chances. Not bad, not bad at all I guess
Getting lost is always fun

Looking for a place to camp

Hi Naomi!

Great feeling to be riding again!

We found Haddo Lake Rec Site!

Free camping in BC is awesome!

We were the only residents of the two site rec site. After setting up camp we went for a quick dip in the water. Well Alberto dipped, and I bathed. The sun soon disappeared behind the trees and things cooled down quickly. Later in the evening a second group came to occupy the other site; full house!
Old 08-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,892
I'm in, your ride reports are always worth following...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:45 AM   #8
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,489
Excellent start. I'm in!
Old 08-11-2013, 06:09 AM   #9
Garry_88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Again thanks for sharing your photos and trips, amazing shots (pictures) you take. My wife and I just came back from Tofino, BC it was great it only rained on us the last day, so enjoy your trip.

PS if you get the chance to stop a Toadrock campground do so Mary is the best.

cheers

gajo.smugmug.com
Garry_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
I'm in, your ride reports are always worth following...
Always great to see you around gunnerbuck!
Old 08-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #11
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDogAlberta View Post
Excellent start. I'm in!
The start was not as excellent as we would have liked (due to the failed rear shock) but we got going within hours thanks to the 3rd GS in the garage
Old 08-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #12
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry_88 View Post
Again thanks for sharing your photos and trips, amazing shots (pictures) you take. My wife and I just came back from Tofino, BC it was great it only rained on us the last day, so enjoy your trip.

PS if you get the chance to stop a Toadrock campground do so Mary is the best.

cheers
The weather gods have been very good this summer here on the Wet Coast!
Thanks for the tip Garry!
Cheers amigo
Old 08-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #13
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Day 3

Rain! What is going on here? I quickly jumped out of my sleeping bag and took in the things we left out drying overnight. The rain however quickly passed, and I fell back to sleep. Fast forward a few more hours and we were up having some breakfast. Blue sky was on the horizon and once again we were in a hurry to get moving thanks to the encouragement from the aggressive mosquitoes.

Since we had already scouted ahead yesterday when we were getting lost we knew exactly what to do. We made quick work of the short section of dirt before arriving in Lumby. Just a quick scoot over to Cherryville where we planned to gas up.

At the gas station there was a Norton, and two Ducatis, there may have also been some Harley's and Harley lookalikes but we didn't take much notice. The one silver Ducati with blue-ish frame was gorgeous though. We were both drooling . After gassing up we noticed that the Cherryville market was in full swing so we decided to check things out. It was a bit quiet compared to the Saturday Salt Spring Market but we bought some goodies and had a seat at a picnic table. Also at the picnic table was a nice gentleman with his daughter. He gave us some good tips for the route we were taking.
Back on the saddle

Trying new camera angles

Entering Lumby

Lumby's Local Market

Buying fresh strawberries

We enjoyed the twisties on the pavement before jumping back on to the dirt. Alberto even did some bonus twisties just to be sure. I patiently waited and re-filled my hydration pack. Again the riding was okay. Mostly logging road freeways, and very dusty from my position in the back. I wish the G9s had better range so I could sit a bit further back out of the dust bowl. There was some nice valley and river views along the route. Alberto kept wondering when we were going to go through the Christian Valley town, until I told him we'd already gone through haha.

Some nice views

Sadly, we spotted rusting appliances down in the valley

I messed up my camera settings, so I had to do some post processing rescue tricks

Not much to report from the riding. We saw some deer, and uh.... Well that's it really. Lots of forest and green mountains.

We did some more dusty riding until Alberto's back had had enough. There was lots of potholes and washboard today which increased the fatigue factor. So we called it quits early at the Canyon Creek Rec Site. After setting up camp we went down to the river for a swim however it was freezing and gave my feet a brain freeze. So no swimming for me. Even Alberto didn't go for a swim. I guess he is getting soft as well. All in all it was a very relaxing evening by the river.

Our spot for the night: Canyon Creek Rec Site

The water was way too cold!

Old 08-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #14
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,489
A banjo and baskets of strawberries in the sun. There are certain things that tell you you're on vacation and hopefully don't have a care in the world. Bravo!
Old 08-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #15
naotweed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDogAlberta View Post
A banjo and baskets of strawberries in the sun. There are certain things that tell you you're on vacation and hopefully don't have a care in the world. Bravo!
Very true. We may be the exception to the rule though since banjos and strawberries are just a regular day on Salt Spring Island haha
naotweed is offline   Reply With Quote