User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #16
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Oddometer: 783
Day 4

Rise and shine. After such an early day yesterday we (me) decided to hit the road early today. No problem. A quick breakfast, which was chilly since we were up so early and then we were on the road. What looked like only a few kilometers on the map had us turning down camping sites in search of a bridge. I stopped to talk to two campers who told us not to take the first bridge that the second bridge would take us on a much better route. But I want to go into those mountains I protested, no no they insisted I didn't want to go there. We chose to ignore their kind advice
We soon reached the bridge just a few short minutes down the road. Haha we were searching around in the trees but the bridge was pretty obvious. The roads were well signed so we knew we were going the right way. When we reached a fork in the road a large sign clearly stated that the road was closed 7kms down the way. As is typical for us we chose to ignore the sign assuming that we know better.

When the road has flowers and tall grass growing on it... it hasn't been used for a while

The road had rough sections caused by the heavy forestry traffic but overall we were making swift progress. We made it way past the 7km mark but there were plenty of unmarked intersections and we had no idea where we were relative to our map. After 4 or 5 unmarked intersections you start to wonder if you've correctly guessed the right combinations of rights and lefts. Things were getting sketchier and sketchier but we were having good fun so it didn't really matter. Overall we were going in the direction we needed to go. And then....

Maybe on a WR250R but not on these F8GS

We reached an issue. There was a creek, totally passable, but the steep slope on the other side of loose dirt was going to be an issue. Given that we didn't know if we were going the right way we decided to cut our loses and turn back. Despite being fun we did lose 2 hrs of time getting lost and Alberto had a crash that bent his left footpeg and dented his ego. Turns out there was some deeper softer stuff in the corner and he lost the back. So the detour cost us some.

Naomi comes around the corner and sees this

Man down!

Crash scene

‘Axering’ the footpeg back in place

Dull axe to the rescue!

Back on the highway we travelled further south to the second bridge (as recommended earlier). Take two. Again some great riding: narrow sections, rocky sections, wildlife. This was so far the best day of riding. The road was mostly single lane, with grass growing in the centre. We didn't see any other traffic. The road spat us back out the other side near Greenwood and some pavement. Looks like farm country.

The road ahead is down below

Sweet day of riding!

A nice and quiet road

Northbound we hit the dirt again and what qualifies as a busy road. The first vehicle we passed was a sweet jeep. Then some camper vans and trucks. I guess we can assume this is a thru-road this time since the campers vans are coming. This road was a lot bigger than what we were riding this morning, still challenging though. There was some tricky rocky sections that kept things interesting.

Once again we took a few wrong turns but overall we were able to pretty much stay on track. Really great riding that had us going up and down all day; slicing through valleys and following rivers. Oh man it was hard work though, lots of rocks throughout the afternoon causing my body to fatigue. I'm pretty out of shape since I was slacking with my broken foot for 6 weeks. All this bumping around is exhausting. Thankfully we reached the final decent shortly after 2pm. Yikes, that was just supposed to take the morning. So much for the East Arrow ferry.

Some more great vistas!

La Gringa is back!

Is the GoPro working?

We jumped on the Needles ferry and soon made it to the other side were we gassed up. It was a quick highway blast and since we chose to gas up we were not stuck behind slow moving traffic. Yikes for the westbound traffic. There was at least a 3 sailing wait. Note to self not to head westbound on that ferry in summertime.

We have a ferry to catch!

Ferry ride to the other side

When we arrived in Nakusp we went to the Visitor Info to get some wifi. We stocked up on some Internet and hit "the Hut" for some lunch/dinner. By this point the temperature was close to 28 and it was slowly killing me. I was under the impression that Nakusp was in the mountains and therefore never got too hot. Clearly I was wrong and the heat was not what the doctor ordered. I was hungry, exhausted by the riding and now cooking. We sat at a picnic table in the shade and quickly scoffed our food. The burgers were so-so but the fries were top notch. So yummy and crispy. I'm especially a big fan of the crispness.

We left Nakusp around 5pm and rolled into Trout Lake around 6pm. The road is mostly paved to Trout Lake so it's easy to make fast progress. The dirt sections are practically paved and the road is huge! I asked at the gas station for directions to the campground. We found it but it was pretty sketchy. It was partially flooded and barely above the water line. The other campers were all in four wheeled campers so we decided to pass. Didn't look like the type of place to pitch a tent. Further up the road we found a nice place to bush camp just off the road but still on the lake.

For those who enjoy B&W photography

The sun sets in beautiful Trout Lake

Wilderness camping at its BEST!

Trout Lake

A beautiful end of a great day of riding

Nighty night

At first the bugs were swarming us but that soon passed and we were able to enjoy the evening. At least Alberto was able to. I was completely pooped for the day and spent the evening laying exhausted in the tent.

Naomi? She’s already in the tent snuffling…I mean sleeping!

betitolara screwed with this post 08-16-2013 at 01:18 PM
betitolara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:22 AM   #17
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,806
Pretty much heaven on earth right there. Morning? Evening? Who cares?

Old 08-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #18
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Day 5

It rained hard at times overnight and was still drizzling when we woke up. Considering we slept on a bit of a hill we were happy to wake up pretty much dry in the tent. I think the tree cover helped us out on that one. It was a quick morning as hanging around in the rain doesn't really have the same appeal. We loaded up the bikes and loaded up ourselves in rain gear.

Fancy rain gear on

It was good that we camped when we did last night because the road got pretty twisty and it probably would have taken us a bit of time to make it to the next campground. It was fun and even though the sky was unfriendly looking we were not getting rained on. The rain seemed to be to the west and we were heading east. The riding was nice and the lake was pretty but for some reason I was expecting more spectacular views. Maybe the clouds were humbling the area but it wasn't really what I was expecting. I was picturing in my head something similar to Fernie, but it was not. We did catch a few glimpses of waterfalls from the road that were pretty cool. Also saw some bear poo on the road, which prompted me to glare at Alberto for keeping food in our tent last night. He assured me no bears would be near our tent last night.

Taking a 'photo break'

Nice waterfall next to the road!

Cloudy days make for some good photos

Wee break in the woods

When we finally made it to the end of the lake we checked out the campsite, based on what we saw we got the better deal. The road after the lake widened and we were able to pick up the speed a bit. For the most part the road followed an amazing river. It was stunning. The colour of the water was a nice blue and the current was powerful, making the overall appearance quite impressive. So we cruised along at a happy pace taking in the views.

Beautiful BC

This would be considered a 'good' enough bridge in Peru

Raging river

And one more for good measure!

At the end of the paved section a friend of mine had told us about a cool quarry site to check out. We followed his instructions and found a really neat cave created by the quarry. Sadly people had put graffiti all over the place, taking away something from the natural beauty of the rock. It was still pretty cool though to see what a large area had been excavated. Thanks for the tip Greg
Quarry

Not bad for a little GoPro camera

It was a pretty big hole!

Back on pavement we passed through some towns that seemed to be caught in time. I think it's pretty cool to see these types of places and consider what BC would have been like in the 1800s or early 1900s. We followed the twisty road down into Kalso where we stopped for gas. It was a windy day on the lake; looked like a great day for sailing. It was blowing us about on the road though. There was a delicious looking poutine place at the gas station that had hippie poutine, but sadly it is not open on Mondays. We were heartbroken.

Kaslo's waterfront

'No Parking' area

There are some nice twisty sections on the way to the ferry and a very courteous Albertan driver pulled to the side to let us go in front of him. So we had clear road for most of the good bits. Braaaaaap. We got really lucky when we arrived at the ferry since it was just docking. So we didn't wait long.

On the ferry it was crazy windy! Alberto was chatting up a nice young guy from Utah who also rides. Very friendly guy who has done the sport bike thing, the cruiser thing and now thinks he wants to do the dualsport thing. Naturally we told him to stay clear of BMWs haha

The ferry ride wasn't long. On the other side a fully loaded logging truck was first off the ferry so we were stuck following it up the steep hill after the ferry. Agony! At some point it becomes two lanes so we quickly made our move, but it felt like we were frozen in time as we climbed the hill at 10kph. The turn off for Gray Creek pass was only a few kms down the road. Early into the ride google maps tried to convince us to take a sketchy shortcut. Being crazy people we obliged and rode up a narrow, semi-steep rocky path until we decided it was probably a better idea to take the longer route on the more established road. Once again this was the right call as the views on the pass were amazing. Lots of tight switchbacks on the way up going eastbound. I think the max elevation we reached was 2060m according to Garmin. The decent on the other side was ideal. Lots of visibility through the turns and a nice grade going down. The ride easily makes it into our top three dirt rides in BC (based on what we've personally riden). Just the way the road flows and the scenery, it is an amazing combination. We will be coming back again for sure.

Near the top

What a beautiful ride it was!

2,060 m (6,760 ft) is high for Canada!

Right at the top of the pass

One of my fav photos of the whole trip

After flattening out in the valley below we were treated to some wildlife. As Alberto came around the corner a mountain goat and baby were standing in the middle of the road. Wow! They quickly got off the road and scampered up the rocky slope but it was great to just sit there and watch them. They are impressive animals, how they can climb those steep rocky slopes. Once they got up pretty high they stood there watching us for a bit.

As we continued towards Kimberly the weather was deteriorating at a rapid pace. It seemed that at any minute it would start to rain. We agreed to stop at the next campground we saw. Shortly after reaching the pavement we came across the Kimberly Riverside campground, and it was like an oasis. A very classy campground by our standards. There was a pool, showers and laundry, mini-putt, wifi... It was sheer luxury.

Looking towards Kimberly

It might be raining in Kimberly!

After reaching the pass, it was sunny for a bit

Mountain Goats? 'Olaf would know'

A close up shoot

We managed to get the tent set-up without being rained on and just as we were heading into town for a bite to eat the rain came through. In the span of 5min the rain turned to torrential and we got pretty soaked. By the time we made it 10min down the road to the Bears Eatery it wasn't raining anymore. Alberto was scowling at me since I had insisted on getting food, and now because of it he was soaked. Oops. Pressure is on Bears Eatery. The inside decor was definitely funky, there were LPs on the walls and stuffed bears on display. Also something strange was the temperature inside seemed like it was 28 degrees Celsius. We were both burning up. When it came time to order we discovered that the restaurant was waiting to get re-supplied so half their menu was not available. We both played it safe and ordered the special (since we new it was in stock) which was the Deluxe Burger. At least the food delivered. The portions were massive and we both took food to go.

Back at the campground we had showers and did laundry. Alberto cleverly downloaded the UFC 162. While we were waiting for laundry and UFC we played a round of mini-putt. Little did I know that Alberto used to play with his uncles as a child. He had some mad skills but didn't have the stamina to sustain his pace for the entire game. I narrowly edged out the win.

Guess who won?! yes... Naomi kicked my butt!

The staff at the campground were really friendly. One of the guys we talked to had a cabin up in the pass we just came through and told us we got lucky since he didn't even realize that it was open to vehicle travel yet. Boy, we were totally oblivious, which I guess is pretty typical. He also said that where we saw the goats is a typical spot because they come down to drink from the lake there. So keep your eyes peeled around that section for goats. Another employee we were talking to said that it cost $120k to get the pass fixed up because of the landslide this year. That is why people were not sure if it was going to open this year. We saw some landslide areas but we barely noticed so the crew did a great job fixing up the road.

Once it got dark we got in our tent and watched our stuff. It's a really nice campground, I would stay there a again if I was in the area.

betitolara screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 08:56 PM
Old 08-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #19
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Day 6

Nice campgrounds lead to lazy mornings. I was using the wifi, the nice bathroom facilities and overall just not really in a big hurry to leave. We hit the road sometime after 10am heading north to Whiteswan Provincial Park. The highway north to Golden isn't really much to write about, pretty straight roads. The view of the mountains is nice and I had to appreciate how lucky we are in BC. Even boring roads have nice views. I used to get really excited when we were riding down south when we had views like that. It would be considered in the top 5 percentile, whereas in BC I just say meh, it's typical haha. So spoiled.

Having breakfast!

There was some construction going on, so traffic was kinda backed up. We were happy when we reached the turn off for Whiteswan. Again the road was in really good condition and we saw lots of traffic. There is a nice twisty section where you can see the river far below. The river looked amazing. We passed Lussier hot springs and there was a few vehicles parked there. Couldn't really tell much from the road.

Another beautiful day in BC

Nice riding area

The color of the river was wicked

When we came up to Moose lake the colour of the water was almost unbelievable. It looked like the Caribbean. There were a few people on the lake and Alberto commented that it looked so amazing he wanted to go swimming. The lake looked pretty shallow, or maybe that was just because it was so clear. Really neat either way. The next lake was Whiteswan, oh boy what a lake. Amazing mountain views and a good size. The colour was a nice deep blue and the wind was blowing like crazy. The road followed the lake in nice sweeping turns then disappeared back into forest. As we approached another campground there was a barrier saying that the road was closed due to washout. We quickly consulted the map and realized that was the road we needed to take and that there was really no other to get to Fernie. Alberto took a peak past the barrier to see what qualified as a washout, and yes it was not passable. About a 3m section of the bridge was gone. The bridge was pretty high above the river, and down below the river was raging. We were not going to make it through. Big bummer.

Is this a tropical beach at El Caribe or Canada?

Nice views eh?

The road follows he lake for a few kms

Naomi looking pretty

Boompro shot

Just like a postcard

uh?

Change of plans!

The map showed a sort of alternate route that used about 15km of deactivate roads to connect back on to the road the bridge led to. Time was marching on and we had committed to meeting some friends for dinner in Fernie, but I wasn't too keen to give up on our back road adventure so I convinced Alberto to try the alternate route. We committed to giving it an hour of our time.

The road was flooded by a small creek for the first kilometre but after that it was in very good condition. There appeared to be some fairly active forestry on the go so we took that as an encouraging sign. We could also see some tracks on the road so we knew other vehicles had passed through. Either way we were treated to more amazing views so it was a good time.

The road on the bottom right corner is the one
we were supposed to be on

The first obstacle we encountered was some logs covering half the road. It was very easy to get around, but as Alberto commented we knew we weren't going to be meeting up with any logging trucks. Okay down to small vehicle traffic. There were some large rocks on the road here and there but for the most part steady going. Then we reached a washout, but there were visible tracks through and it was tricky but very passable. Alberto took both bikes through while I documented the situation.

Washout #1

Not too bad...

Rear tyre was losing traction

Time to take La Gringa across washout #1

I like this shot

Good I had some decent gound clearance!

haha losing my balance a bit

There were some soft spots of lose ground

Then came the second washout, with a water feature. Alberto was narrating the situation as he approached "uhhh this may be it Naomi, oh wait, no I think we can get through this I just need to go on the left side..... Ahhhhh". He had falling in the stream, on the downstream side. I quickly parked my bike and ran over to help lift the bike off him. We got him up and the bike through with a lot of huffing and puffing. We almost lost his gopro camera because I kicked it while we were lifting the bike, sending it downstream. Luckily we both saw it trying to makes its escape so we stopped it from floating away.

Once we got his bike to the other side I asked if we should cut our loses, but by that point Alberto was committed so we went back to get my bike. This time I helped keep the bike up on the downstream side sine he couldn't touch the ground. We made it through without too much drama. Lots of hard work though. We were definitely a lot more sweaty now than 30min ago.

The road was in perfectly good condition. It was a nice ride, with mountains on either side and a river below. Then we reached a fork in the road. There was a sign on one of the roads, but I couldn't cross reference it with our map. Alberto wanted to go left, but I wanted to go right, so we went right. There were some fallen trees but we could still get around on the outside. We came down to a bridge that was in nice condition and crossed the river. Alberto thought it was strange that we were crossing the river but I argued that the existence of the bridge meant we were on a main road. Then there was a lot of grass growing in the road, and next we saw up ahead that a landslide had taken out the road. Poop. Back down we went to take the left that Alberto had originally wanted to take. We made it about 3km and then we reached a legit washout that we were not going to be able to conquer. The road was gone, and there was a deep hole in its place. I guess third time is a charm. So close and yet so far.

It doesn't look too bad from this angle.... see the next photo

Yup! the road is gone... big drop off

We had to turn around and go back. This time we were smart about the stream crossing. We had a snack first then carefully got both bikes through. We had some issues with Alberto's bike getting stuck on some large rocks and then on the exit it got stuck in the loose. First I was getting soaked by spinning back tire in the water then I was getting sprayed by dirt. Great combination all around.

We both rinsed off in the stream and had another snack. The next washout was going to be easier, especially now that we had experience. Alberto took his bike through like a pro, or something like that. Then he took my bike, and drove it into the rock bed :( Heideneaus with the centre band aren't really great to get started in loose rocks but Alberto chose to gun it and get it out of there.

Wooo we were through the tough parts. We still had a fair ways to go to get back on the road to Whiteswan so we decided to pick up the pace. This was no longer a tourist trip. By the time we rejoined Whiteswan provincial park we had spent 3 hrs going nowhere. So much for donating an hour to this frivolous adventure. Overall a fun experience but now we were racing the clock to get to Fernie in time for our dinner plans. We cruised by some white sedan from Alberta that was taking it easy on the dirt. I wonder what people think when they see two fat dirt bikes going flying past while they are happily putting along on their vacation.

Back on the highway we kept the cruising speed up at around 120 to make up some time. The road is pretty straight and there isn't much traffic so it is fairly easy to stay cruising. We took the back way through Fort Steel, avoiding Cranbrook, just to have a little bit of fun. We were making really good time when out of nowhere after Jaffray my bike was starting to have fuelling issues. First it was loosing power on hard throttle openings (trying to overtake) then it just completely died. Really, did that just happen. We were able to coast off the road onto a side road, driving along the shoulder. With both bikes parked we considered our circumstance. No warning of any kind was on the screen (good thing I own a fancy BMW with a computer brain). Even though the temperature was normal we decided to take a short time out. After 10min Alberto took it for a spin and everything seemed normal. There wasn't much we could do sitting at the side of the highway so we decided to press on taking it easy.

Multi-tasking: working on the bike and drying out my boot

The bike seemed normal until Elko and then the same issue happened. I was losing power and then it completely shut off. I was definitely losing my patience with this piece of something bike. I am not impressed. Alberto and I decided to trade bikes for the last little bit into Fernie. As he was riding my bike he was having the same issue. We did make it to the campground though, and luckily there was two sites left. We grabbed a site, threw up the tent and hopped on his bike, leaving my bike to sulk at the campsite all by itself.

We drove to Alberto's friends house in town to have dinner with a bunch of friends. We had a great night and promptly forgot about my sucky motorcycle. In the morning we would do all the easy fixes we can and hope that one of the them fixes the problem. If that fails I'm leaving it in the ditch.

All smiles at the end of the day! As usual
Old 08-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #20
Bear Creek West
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Looks like fun.

Great roads! hmmm how many days would it take me to ride there...
Subscribed!
Bear Creek West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #21
B50Paul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
A and N great roads and scenery . Pity about the bike . Maybe a Triumph or KTM in your future ?
B50Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #22
naotweed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by B50Paul View Post
A and N great roads and scenery . Pity about the bike . Maybe a Triumph or KTM in your future ?
Actually some WR250s in our future. We just picked up a pair last time we were home.
naotweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #23
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by B50Paul View Post
a pair of WRs are sitting in our garage

Cheers Paul!
Old 08-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #24
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Creek West View Post
Great roads! hmmm how many days would it take me to ride there...
Subscribed!
Bear Creek West, whatever many days it'd take: it'd be worth the trip!

Hey I lived in Ktown for 4 years during my school days! great town indeed!

Cheers,
Alberto.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #25
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Day 7

Previously I had planned to do some riding in the Flathead today, but now the new plan for the day was to troubleshoot my bike and, if we had time in the afternoon go into town.

What we decided we were able to do: clean air filter, inspect spark plugs, visual inspection of fuel filter... That was about it. First on the list was the easiest: air filter. I've never had to check the air filter mid trip before and I have definitely been on dustier rides but it was certainly the easiest option on the table.

While I made breakfast Alberto took out the air filter. It was no dirtier than normal, but we gave it a good clean anyway. As Alberto was ringing out my air filter a couple who were cycling by commented "uh oh, Beemers.... we ride them too" to which I commented just to Alberto quietly "we wish we didn't"

Alberto took the bike for a spin without the air filter in and there was no issues so we decided to hope that the problem was only air filter related. Strange but logical I guess

Time to get our hands dirty!

Our Campsite in Fernie was nice tho

Airing the air filter

Campsite view

Instead of dwelling on my crappy bike we drove into town to take in the sights. First some chores at Canadian Tire and Extra Foods to take care of. Then to take a spin of our old neighbourhood While driving through town I caught a glimpse of a small dualsport bike for sale. We pulled up to check things out and the owners were in the driveway. Turns out they were selling a pair of XT250s, and at a decent price. If we wanted to spend a little more we could get the kitted out trailer thrown in. We spent probably 45min talking to the couple who were really friendly before moving on to lunch. The rest of the afternoon was spent eating yummy food and shopping, all the while Alberto trying to figure out how he was going to buy those two bikes.

We met some friends for dinner and had a very nice evening. It was a beautiful summer day in Fernie.

The house we used to live in. The good old days!

Having some amazing bagels for lunch

'Happy Cow' makes the greatest ice-cream sandwich on earth

Fernie offers great mountain views from pretty much anywhere in town

Main street (2nd Ave)

Supper with new friends!

Old 09-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #26
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Day 8

Assuming all systems are go (since I was riding my bike around town all day yesterday) we decided to take on the Flathead section I had previously planned for yesterday. We cruised down highway 3 to the turn off for Coal Mountain. Crap, the road is closed to tourist traffic due to washouts. The guard asked us where we were trying to go and he told us that even if he let us through we weren't going to do much riding in the valley because tons of bridges were out. Normally, he said, you could probably ride through the rivers but the water level is really high right now. Double crap.

Road closed! ....

So we just cruised 40min down the highway past Sparwood for no reason. This trip is quickly falling apart since the Whiteswan and Flathead areas were the two main highlights of the trip. Okay, well there is nothing we can do about that. We turned around and decided to start heading home. We stopped for some photos along the way, trying to justify the ride out to Sparwood.

Some good things come from mining... Elkview Mine, where Naomi and I met

Sparwood, BC and its giant truck

Just as we were approaching the Fernie city limits my bike felt like it was underpowered again. After puling away from the first traffic light my bike stalled, right in the middle of the highway, and I knew that the gremlins were back. We scrabbled off the highway and took the bike for some test spins. Yep, the problem was back. We considered our options. We decided to go to Ghostrider Motorsports to see if they could take a look at the bike, we knew they weren't going to have parts if that was what was needed but maybe they could help troubleshoot so we at least could figure out what we were dealing with.

More bike problems...

The bike was running like a piece of crap and barely made it to Ghostrider. I spoke with Bruno at the service desk and he asked his guys what they could do. Unfortunately they didn't have any time today but could maybe look at it tomorrow. He suspected it was either bad gas or electrical. Since Alberto's bike wasn't having issues we were leaning towards electrical. Only problem there is troubleshooting the electrical was not a small job. It involved quite a few hrs. Argh. While we were hanging out thinking about our options we inquired about the bikes in the shop. By the time we left I was convinced into buying a WR250 and almost cut a deal right there to leave my GS behind.

So tempted.... soooo tempted!

We limped the broken GS into town (where we had wifi) to make some plans. Basically we didn't want to waste a bunch of time troubleshooting the bike in Fernie, especially since it seemed like an electrical problem. We were looking at options to either rent a truck or have me fly home to drive our truck back to grab the bike. Of course though, Alberto hates being defeated so he was determined to ride the bike home, one way or another.

We messed around for hours, calling rental companies and looking up plane tickets. We removed the air filter again (as a last hope) and tried to ride to Cranbrook where we would either keep going or I would get on a plane. On the way my bike continued to have issues so we pulled off the road just before Elko. Hot, angry, tired, I just wasn't in the mood to deal with this bike anymore. I was ready to quit on this bike. Alberto wanted to check the fuel filter, one last try. So there we were on the side of the road, stripping the bike and getting into the fuel filter. Unsurprisingly this was not our first time removing the fuel filter so we had a good idea of what we were doing. What we had not planned for was that my tank was a wee bit too full and as soon as we tried to get in we poured gas all over the place. Okay well, I guess we purged the fuel lines. Tons of bikes passed by us, but not one person stopped to see if we needed any help. We thought that was a bit strange.

We hit the road again, back to Fernie so that we could stash the bike at a friends house. Surprise, surprise the bike was running fine and I was starting to lose my mind. We turned around at Fernie and started to head West. Home or bust. When we reached Cranbrook we stopped for a snack and to discuss our situation. We traded bikes again, as now it seemed like my bike was working. We suspect the connections we moved when opening the fuel pump were the initial problem and that they got disrupted when we did the shock change out in a hurry. Either way I am still furious with my piece of crap bike for not only waiting until a couple thousand kilometres later to shows signs of the issue but also to not have a warning light that clearly shows that it is an electrical problem. Surely that is an easy warning light to sort out.

We were able to ride just west of Castlegar, where we found a nice little rec site off the highway. What a mess of a day

Mud Lake Rec Site

Nighty-Night!

Old 09-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #27
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 4,008

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #28
Garry_88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Bike issues

Sad to hear about your bike issues, can't wait to hear what it was since I too own a GS 800 with 66000km on the Odo.
On a different note do you know a Phil Rigden, if yes we work together and have talked about your trip south many times.

Garry

gajo.smugmug.com
Garry_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #29
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Day 9

No messing around, we just wanted to get home now. My bike is still considered a liability so the priority is to get home and lock it in a garage

When I got out of the tent to hit the outhouse I noticed that there was frost all over the bikes. Yikes! When gearing up to go I started my bike to give it a bit of a chance to warm-up. It started, idled for a bit, then spontaneously stalled Piece of something…. It struggled to start again, so I sat on it keeping the revs up. Not impressed at all.

Just a bit nippy

Frosty tent in the middle of summer

We cruised home along highway 3, not really stopping for anything other than gas. It is what it is, those bikes are quite handy at the long kilometre pavement days. Traffic increased as we got closer to Vancouver. The gas station at Wacom was INSANE! We tried as fast as we could to get to the ferry, arriving at 3:50 for the 4pm ferry. It was loading, but the ferry worker directing traffic didn't want to let us bikes on. He said there were over their passenger count and continued to fill up the ferry with cars We both call BS, as not matter how full you get a ferry with cars, there is always room to squeeze motorcycles. After everything we had been dealing with over the last few days we didn't want to deal with ferries. Missing the 4pm and suspecting that the 5pm would be late was pushing the limits for making the connection at Swartz Bay. Trying to explain this to the ferry worker was pretty much pointless, despite Alberto's powers of persuasion

The 5pm ferry did leave late, but only by 5min or so, so we were still optimistic. We were able to make the connection to Salt Spring by booting it around. There was a sneaky cop sped trap set up, thank goodness we saw it getting off the Superferry. We would have been busted, and not only that it's daily easy to be exceeding 40kph over the speed limit when it changes down to 20 kph. Again though as we were waiting in the line-up for the SSI ferry there was nobody directing traffic, which was starting to worry us. Eventually somebody appeared and we were able to ask if they were going to load us on the 7pm ferry. We got squeezed into the back of the ferry, but it was a very concerning day regarding BC Ferries employees.

We made it home safe and sound and not without drama

FIN
Old 09-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #30
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by betitolara View Post
a pair of WRs are sitting in our garage

Cheers Paul!

Moving from bigger bikes ourselves I can safely say those things are the most suitable choice. No need to choose not to take a track somewhere.

Go light with gear as well though.

Cool RR.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote