Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #31
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker View Post
Hey Ben! long time no see you! .... wait a minute! we've only known each other through ADRvider. So we've never 'seen' each other Hey when are we going to go for a ride? are you up north now?
Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry_88 View Post
Sad to hear about your bike issues, can't wait to hear what it was since I too own a GS 800 with 66000km on the Odo.
On a different note do you know a Phil Rigden, if yes we work together and have talked about your trip south many times.

Garry
Hey Garry,

Glad to hear you got a sample of German Engineering The issue was electrical and a faulty connection to the fuel pump. It's all good now... well ... not 'all good' with our lemon bikes something always comes up

I haven't personally met Phil but I went to school with his wife. They moved out of BC before we could meet and go for rides. I know they used to live on V.Island so we were practically neighbours!

Cheers amigo,
Alberto.
betitolara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #32
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 540
I guess just don't read enough ........or I am reading stuff at the wrong times............I missed this thread totally.....until now. I just saw it in your signature line Alberto.

I was on the Hedley/NickelPlate road and the Trout Lake loop a couple of days after you went through....aimlessly wander around..............but ya I was riding and not reading .

Great pics and writeup as usual!

Cheers,
J
Old 09-17-2013, 06:31 AM   #33
G-Mac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post

Moving from bigger bikes ourselves I can safely say those things are the most suitable choice. No need to choose not to take a track somewhere.

Go light with gear as well though.

Cool RR.
Well that's not encouraging. I bought a 2013 F800GS. I love it so far. Once my son can reach the ground on my XR250, I'll be picking up a WR as well.
One thing I observed (other than your awesome pics and narrative of your rides) is that you guys seem to be very top heavy in your loading of the bikes. Get that centre of gravity lower and minimize is what I would suggest. Again just a suggestion and to each there own. Everyone's "must haves" are different. Other than that I'm going to need you to keep traveling and documenting so I can live vicariously through you.
Hopefully next year I'll be out there and maybe get a taste of what you guys are selling!!!!
Excellent work.
2002 XR250R Dirty Girl so fun to ride
1997 KLR 650 miss the old girl. Never washed!
G-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #34
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mac View Post
Well that's not encouraging. I bought a 2013 F800GS. I love it so far. Once my son can reach the ground on my XR250, I'll be picking up a WR as well.
One thing I observed (other than your awesome pics and narrative of your rides) is that you guys seem to be very top heavy in your loading of the bikes. Get that centre of gravity lower and minimize is what I would suggest. Again just a suggestion and to each there own. Everyone's "must haves" are different. Other than that I'm going to need you to keep traveling and documenting so I can live vicariously through you.
Hopefully next year I'll be out there and maybe get a taste of what you guys are selling!!!!
Excellent work.
Thanks G-Mac!
Hope you don't have to deal with any of the issues we've had with our bikes (street riding-only recommended )

Re center of gravity: first time ever I've read that the GiantLoops are 'very top heavy' ... and my dufflebag (SealLine) contents couldn't be lighter: x01 feather pillow, x02 inflatable pillows, x01 small memory foam TempurPedic pillow, a 10'' netbook and toiletries. (yes, I need a bunch of pillows to sleep comfortable @ night with a couple of herniated discs on my back )

But anyways, thanks for the advice.
Cheers,
Alberto.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #35
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMtnSea View Post
I guess just don't read enough ........or I am reading stuff at the wrong times............I missed this thread totally.....until now. I just saw it in your signature line Alberto.

I was on the Hedley/NickelPlate road and the Trout Lake loop a couple of days after you went through....aimlessly wander around..............but ya I was riding and not reading .

Great pics and writeup as usual!

Cheers,
J

Did you get a new set of Mitas E09 Dakar shoes? or waiting for next riding season (get them @ www.mx1canada.com with free shipping!)
Cheers John
Old 09-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #36
G-Mac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by betitolara View Post
Thanks G-Mac!
Hope you don't have to deal with any of the issues we've had with our bikes (street riding-only recommended )

Re center of gravity: first time ever I've read that the GiantLoops are 'very top heavy' ... and my dufflebag (SealLine) contents couldn't be lighter: x01 feather pillow, x02 inflatable pillows, x01 small memory foam TempurPedic pillow, a 10'' netbook and toiletries. (yes, I need a bunch of pillows to sleep comfortable @ night with a couple of herniated discs on my back )

But anyways, thanks for the advice.
Cheers,
Alberto.
Ya you can't put a price on comfort. And it definitely sounds light. I guess looks can be deceiving.
Now get out there and travel so you guys can write us up some more cool ride reports. Especially with those new rides.
The WR is my next "dirt bike" when the boy claims my XR250 for himself.
Wish I never left out west especially when I see your ride reports.
Cheers
G-Mac
(Greg)
2002 XR250R Dirty Girl so fun to ride
1997 KLR 650 miss the old girl. Never washed!
G-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #37
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,454
Quote:
Excellent work.
not encouraging? BM's keep their value well.

The 2 trips we did that are on the web was our 'noob cherry' moment. The first was 2005 before I had discovered forums and relied on books, and the second was thinking and proving to myself that panniers could be done. In the process we learnt how to ride trails, so it was a futile effort.

I tried everything to turn our perceived perfect bikes into something they will never be. Even with the reduced weight it feels too heavy. Reason is everything to do with inertia. A narrow bike will always feel lighter. Same with luggage, so I'm developing a rack-less bag that's both low and narrow... and "secure" or "theft resistant". Giant loop is close but no sigar.

We were actually planning our next trip through the back country of Africa (as much as possible) on our WRR's this coming February. But this stopped us in our tracks.

Over ten months and an operation later I'm not finding it funny anymore.

So now we're postponing it and are moving to Calgary instead.

tmotten screwed with this post 09-29-2013 at 10:11 PM
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #38
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by betitolara View Post

Did you get a new set of Mitas E09 Dakar shoes? or waiting for next riding season (get them @ www.mx1canada.com with free shipping!)
Cheers John

Yup (E10 front & E09Dakar rear) & they are really great! I went with the E10 front as the E09Dakar look just a little to aggressive up front and I did not want to deal with front squirrel-i-ness on pavement. Maybe next time I will try the E09 Dak front...

"(yes, I need a bunch of pillows to sleep comfortable @ night with a couple of herniated discs on my back )"

You do pretty good ninja jumps from that bike for a cripple!

Cheers,
J

OceanMtnSea screwed with this post 09-29-2013 at 06:08 PM
OceanMtnSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #39
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 785
The washouts here after the June flood were nothing to mess with; back country travel has been severely limited this year because of it.

For anyone coming into the area in the future, this link will list local closures and bridge washouts on the FSRs:

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/drm/services/road-works.htm

WRRs were pretty much designed for riding around here; mine has logged about 50,000 km on those roads since 2008.

Not many this year, unfortunately...
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #40
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Quote:
Ya you can't put a price on comfort. And it definitely sounds light. I guess looks can be deceiving.
Now get out there and travel so you guys can write us up some more cool ride reports. Especially with those new rides.
The WR is my next "dirt bike" when the boy claims my XR250 for himself.
Wish I never left out west especially when I see your ride reports.
Cheers
G-Mac
(Greg)
Gracias Greg
Our next 'big' adventure involves two Chinese motorcycles + 6 weeks + Peru + 2014

It should be FUN!

betitolara screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 12:29 PM
Old 10-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #41
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post
not encouraging? BM's keep their value well.

The 2 trips we did that are on the web was our 'noob cherry' moment. The first was 2005 before I had discovered forums and relied on books, and the second was thinking and proving to myself that panniers could be done. In the process we learnt how to ride trails, so it was a futile effort.

I tried everything to turn our perceived perfect bikes into something they will never be. Even with the reduced weight it feels too heavy. Reason is everything to do with inertia. A narrow bike will always feel lighter. Same with luggage, so I'm developing a rack-less bag that's both low and narrow... and "secure" or "theft resistant". Giant loop is close but no sigar.

We were actually planning our next trip through the back country of Africa (as much as possible) on our WRR's this coming February. But this stopped us in our tracks.

Over ten months and an operation later I'm not finding it funny anymore.

So now we're postponing it and are moving to Calgary instead.
OUCH! how did you manage to get an x-ray during the ride

Joke aside, that sucks... it surely is a story worth reading about (got an RR?) Hope you fully recover sooner rather than later
Old 10-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #42
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Quote:

Yup (E10 front & E09Dakar rear) & they are really great! I went with the E10 front as the E09Dakar look just a little to aggressive up front and I did not want to deal with front squirrel-i-ness on pavement. Maybe next time I will try the E09 Dak front...

"(yes, I need a bunch of pillows to sleep comfortable @ night with a couple of herniated discs on my back )"

You do pretty good ninja jumps from that bike for a cripple!
Cheers,
J
Bike's looking good!

haha... it's the day after when 'things' hurt
Old 10-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #43
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,808
Beautiful country.. hope to make it there some day..
11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #44
naotweed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Excellent work.
Don't take a look at our photos from our ride to SA, Alberto's bike was very porky in those days.
I agree that keeping the weight low is the best way to go, but even when I ride the F8GS naked it still feels like a huge beast when the going gets rough. I think it would help if I grew about a foot taller
naotweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #45
naotweed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:

Those are some nice looking tires
naotweed is offline   Reply With Quote