User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 06:23 AM   #76
NHKTM990
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Originally Posted by ParaMud
She had to adjust something on her right side and tried to switch hands, she put her left hand on the throttle and tried to adjust her gear. She just slowly veered off and went into the dirt. She could have saved it if she accelerated because she went off the the inside of the turn but she was going fast and slowed down the throttle a bit instead of accelerating.

I pulled that rookie move on a rented moped when I was 16. It immediately causes you to countersteer hard, veering in the opposite direction, ensuing panic takes care of the rest! Your better off riding two up on that Beemer. I love dualsports but a 650 single, loaded like a camel crossing the Sahara, is destined to cause trouble. Great blog!
NHKTM990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #77
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Day 15

So we wake up and head to Seward. Into town, I see a sign for Exit glacier, so we ride over there.

We get off the bike and visit the visitors center. It ends up being a mile walk to the glacier.

It was a nice day out, warm, yet the glacier blows cold air at you.

We head into Seward and keep going until we decide to turn around. A cool dirt road.

Eat lunch at a local brewing company.

We then head to homer.

Start to get tired of riding and run into another brewery. Ordered a taster and there were 10 of them! I drank 1 and Natalie drank the others....... lol

Make it to homer.

We go to the end of the spit and treat ourselves to drinks and dinner.

We split some excellent halibut.

We check out the salty dog.

We camp on homer spit.

Miles: 200

Day 16

We wake up, eat breakfast out, and head to an internet cafe to register for classes.

On the way back we stop to take pictures

A truck caught fire. We are headed back to anchorage and decide to go to Alyeska resort and take the tram they have.

They have a nice bar and restraunt at top.

Nice view

Split some crab. I didnt like it that much.

We head into Anchorage and go to the Harley dealership. They have free camping and showers! They are super nice also!

AKDuc comes out and visits us! Cool guy.

Miles: 200
Old 08-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #78
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 17

So we wake up at the Harley dealership and it is raining out. The Harley Dealership is having a ride that day. We hide under an overhang and hang out, hoping the rain stops so we can pack up our tent.

These Alaskan harley riders are bad ass. They are going out in the pouring rain without helmets! wow. Pretty hardcore.

The rain clears up and we go to a BMW dealership in Anchorage. We bought the last 160/60-18 tire in Alaska so we can mount it later.

Eat lunch as we are leaving Anchorage and natalie takes a picture of the stormtrooper.

We get some rain and run into another glacier. We get someone else to take a picture of us.

This glacier was weird because it wasnt in the mountains.

We were recomended to eat at this place (I forgot where), but we ate earlier due to leaving late because of the rain. We had a smoked salmon spread snack. They had sled dogs, pigs, and a stuffed moose there also.

So we start looking for a camp site and run into the Copper River. That is where the famous salmon come from. All the campsites are full of fisherman so we go towards Valdez to find an open campsite.

Miles: 250

Day 18

We wake up early and head into Valdez

It is pronounced valdEEEEEz

It is a great ride in.

Well, we got into Valdez at like 7:30. We already ate breakfast, so we rode around a bit and then headed back out. On the way in we saw a bunch of cool stuff and we stopped to take a look at it.

On the way back, we were unsure if we wanted to go to the kennecott mine, which is a 150 miles, or so, of dirt road. At the last moment we decided to try it.

We get to Chitina and have lunch. We were going to have a Yak burger, but they were out of it. We found out that the Chitina doesnt have gas, and the closest gas station was the one we passed 30 miles back. We didnt have enough gas to make it to the mine and back. So we just rode 5 miles down the gravel road and turned around.

No issues in the gravel, even at the deep parts. Our training on the KLR helped a ton because this bike sure moves around a lot.

So we turn around and head to the Denali highway. 15 miles out of Chitina, we run into a yak farm.

How can they be out of Yak meat? They have plenty right here!!!

We end up camping at Paxson lake campground.

We also call and make a reservation to do white water rafting outside of Denali!!

Miles: 350
Old 08-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #79
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post

We were recomended to eat at this place (I forgot where), but we ate earlier due to leaving late because of the rain. We had a smoked salmon spread snack. They had sled dogs, pigs, and a stuffed moose there also.
Great meeting you guys too! Even tho I replied to your Trip Planning thread, I wish I'd known more of your background and previous parts of this adventure. Very impressive.

Thank you for paying us a visit and for sharing your adventures with us. I've included a pic of the "recommended place to eat," Sheep Mt Lodge located about 120mi north of Anchorage. Take care and hope to see you again someday, Mark H.

AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #80
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc View Post
Great meeting you guys too! Even tho I replied to your Trip Planning thread, I wish I'd known more of your background and previous parts of this adventure. Very impressive.

Thank you for paying us a visit and for sharing your adventures with us. I've included a pic of the "recommended place to eat," Sheep Mt Lodge located about 120mi north of Anchorage. Take care and hope to see you again someday, Mark H.

Yeah thats it. Thanks Mark! If you come to California, send me a PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #81
caliwagon
n00b

Oddometer: 1
what a great trip!

Looks like a blast!
caliwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #82
chokozip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Loving the report guys!
I just wanted to make a small note for you on that spare tire you have there.The Z6 is a great tire for single or two up.There really is no ware bars on it so you will need to go with milage.I get a steady 8k out of a rear on my ST1300 which is comparable to your bike.I run a mix of single and two up.At 8k start looking for a new one.When you hit 8300 or so cords are in your future.

Keep the reports comming:)

Sean
Old 08-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #83
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,421
Nice report, as others have said the clutch job was impressive!
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #84
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:

It took us a while to figure out how to raise the tail up to expose the transmission. We finally figured out how to remove the airbox. We first removed the transmission but forgot to remove the started. We put the transmission back on and removed the starter.

EURIKA!!!!
This is at about 2 in the morning.

From the BMW shop I also got a main seal. I would replace that if the clutch was covered in oil. Luckily there was no oil around so I didnt replace it.

New plate vs vs old.

At about 3 in the morning we got the new clutch in. Im super happy!

Around 6 hours later the bike is back together! We took an hour nap during that time.

There is a laundromat nearby so we do a quick load of wash. We eat lunch and get ready to get on the bike again!
I wonder what the people at the parts store were thinking when they saw a bike in a million pieces... lol
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #85
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 19

So today we do the Denali Highway. About 150 miles of gravel road.

Since I am so tall, and Natalie is so short, she can't see over me.

This is her solution

1in Thick repair manual from replacing the clutch

Sweatshirt for comfort

Alaskan butt pad over it.

First part of the denali is paved.

Then it goes to a washboard with gravel road. It would be easy if we had a bike with suspension. This bikes suspension isnt the best.

Take a rest break and mess with the camera.

Gracious House for lunch

Not much around other than this.

So then we ride down the road some and I feel a big shifting in the rear of the bike. I slam on the brakes and find out that the saddle bag is gone!

I send Natalie to pick up the saddlebag (oops)

Now this is where I get in a bit of a bad mood. I would never take plastic saddlebags unless I had a backup plan. On the KLRs we had the rear trunk. If that breaks then it is easy to just buy a bag and strap it down. It is a bit harder to fix plastic.

Basically tried to tie it and it wasnt really working out. So it was kinda tied on and I yelled at natalie to just hold it up a bit. Well, this is on the side of her bad shoulder........ she was pissed.

So we did that for 50 miles on an extremely bumpy road.

We did see Mt. McKinley.

But we were both in bad moods and didnt enjoy it.

So we finish the denali highway. Personally, I read that it was one of the most scenic roads in America.......bleh.... It was nice, just not THAT nice. Much nicer stuff in Colorado, other parts of Alaska, and everywhere else.

Before we started the Denali highway, we met Steve. We ended up at the same gas station at the end and he helped me brain storm a fix for the saddlebags.

Found a local tire repair guy and borrowed a drill. 4 holes and zip ties. I ended up getting bigger zip ties from a hardware store in fairbanks.

Fix worked great the rest of the trip.

Here is Steve. We were trying to persuade him to go river rafting with us the next day! We also shared a campsite.

Miles: 170

Day 20

So we get up and head over to river rafting.

See a moose on the way.

We got steve to go! He was nervous. They put you in a dry suit that works great.

Im the front right, Natalie is behind me, and steve is in back. It was a blast! 2 hours and we almost fell off a couple times.

We then eat at the Salmon Bake and head up to fairbanks. We get a motel in fairbanks to patch my leaking mattress. We also change out the front tire.

Miles: 150
Old 08-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #86
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 21

Fairbanks to Coldfoot

Now we start the 800 miles of dirt road. Some of it is getting paved so it will become less and less dirt.

We stop and put rain gear on. By stopping the rain passed over in front of us so there was no need for it.

We follow the pipeline all the way north

We cross the Yukon River

Finger mountain

Made it to the arctic circle!

We make it to coldfoot and there is a giant truck there.

We go to the visitors center there and watch a presentation on owls.

Camp just north of coldfoot. Tons of bugs.

Miles: 280

Day 22

We go back into coldfoot in the morning and gas up. We also fill 2 gatoraid bottles for extra gas. We have to go 240 miles. The bike should be able to make it so the bottles are just for backup.

Good paved road right outside town.

This day was my favorite part of the trip. The most beautiful.

Going up Atigun pass.

Then you reach the north slope.

Dirt :(

Then when we get close to the arctic ocean, the road gets slippery. Wasnt an issue because of the dirt stuff we did before. I dont mind the bike wiggling around.

Saw a heard of muskox

Just outside of deadhorse are some caribou.

So we get into town and look for the building the tour is in for the next day. We find out where to camp.

Natalie is frozen. This is her frozen walk.

We set up camp and another couple in a van. The owner of the van is Bob Munden. He is a Iron butt rider who came up a couple years ago and now decide to take his wife up in a van.

They gave us wine and hot chocolate and made us super comfortable. We were warm and then ran over to our tent and managed to sleep pretty damn comfortably.

Miles: 260
Old 08-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #87
#1Fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
What date did you make it to Deadhorse?
Originally Posted by Misery_Goat
Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to ride a motorbike through the Himalayas.
http://www.facebook.com/numberonefan
#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #88
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Fan View Post
What date did you make it to Deadhorse?
Got there on the 25th, left on the 26th of July
Old 08-25-2013, 10:43 PM   #89
BigChris99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggusbikus View Post
Once again I read about Americans riding a KLR at 70mph. ??? Why? Why would anybody do that?
Because we can, have to, and have places to be. I ride mine all the time at 70ish. No problem. Have a nice winter.

IBA#7849

1997 Honda Valkyrie, 1998 Kawasaki KLR 650
BigChris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #90
#1Fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Got there on the 25th, left on the 26th of July
Thanks. I am guessing now is probably too late to head up there?
Originally Posted by Misery_Goat
Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to ride a motorbike through the Himalayas.
http://www.facebook.com/numberonefan
#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote