Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Dave and LoveShack: "Riders On The Storm"

Introduction Part One.

“Just write what’s inside you,” she said. “We’ll understand.”

Julie Camann.

This past winter, someone bumped my last report and said,

“Tell us a story, Dave.”

I wanted to respond, but the material was lacking, still unfolding. It’s been awhile. Welcome back.

LoveShack and I just returned from the most powerfully rewarding 3150 mile adventure we’ve ever taken. She’s still purring like a kitten from Lumberton even though her odometer hit the 95K milestone, and I’m still shooting, observing life from behind the lens.

The introduction will take several installments before we hit the road. You’ll understand if you stay on board. I hope you will. .

Dave
iDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:45 AM   #2
smittypac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I'm in. Looking forward to more of your excellent photos and storytelling
smittypac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:48 AM   #3
FatherX
demisocial

Oddometer: 4,440
Thumb

HECK YEAH!

Dave and LoveShack are back!

IN!
Old 04-25-2014, 09:59 AM   #4
Max Wedge
ADVenture mowing

Oddometer: 417
Holy Crap it's iDave and Loveshack! Yes, Onboard! Lets roll! Excited!

-you never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office.
Max Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #5
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,675
In!

NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #6
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,090
Was just sayin

Went searching in all the threads thinking to self ,damn its been a while since iDave has kept us entertained w/a story of life, love, family & the road ----and here it is---- you know I'm in--

Lets Roll

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:47 AM   #7
cjeter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I'm in. Always love your reports
Old 04-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #8
KryzHatch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Idave...Loveshack

Idave...Loveshack... Those two words reminds me long time ago when I was coming back from work, taking my North America Deluxe Road Atlas (2004 !) my dictionary and seating in front of my computer, visiting the U.S on the back of LOVESHACK, while Idave was meeting with quick Amish in MONTANA border, dancing on Idaho backroads, visiting his brother in the West.
DO NOT let us...You have open a box ...Tell us what you find
KH
KryzHatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:12 AM   #9
iDave OP
Studly Adventurer

Introduction Part Two.

The alarm clock was set for 6am one early Spring Thursday morning, 2007. It was pitch black outside, raining, miserable. I woke from a slumber, my dreams interrupted by the annoying cell phone an hour before the alarm was scheduled to blast. On the other end was my brother. He said,

“Dave, Dad’s been relocated to a nursing home and he’s not doing well. If you want to see him, do it soon.”

Come Sunday morning, I hopped on the Tuono and headed south. That bike scared the piss out of me while trying to hit the rev limiter in 3rd gear. We arrived 2.5 hours later, embraced by hallways wreaking from the stench of death. Dad seemed annoyed when I entered the room.

After a twenty minute session of enduring rejection, I asked dad two questions:

“Is there anything I can do for you right now? Anything at all? Just say the word, and consider it done.”

He replied,

“I don’t need or want anything from you.”

I asked,

“Do you want me to leave?”

He looked down and nodded his head in the affirmative.

I took one last 10 second look, turned around, and walked out. That fucked me up real good for the next several years…

During that season of transition, Josh, also known as Kaneman here on ADV, was tripping across the U.S.A. on his V-Strom. We met on the side of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

He stayed with us for about 10 days, absolutely adored by everyone in the family. Josh and I became close friends from day one.

On the surface, appearances suggested Julie and I were doing just fine. Just beneath the shallows, we were existing in a miserable marriage. Don’t get me wrong. We loved each other, but the demands of life and the challenges of maintaining a healthy relationship had eroded the bonds. I was fed up with the fake smiles of existence, ready to take off.

Meanwhile, transactions were being orchestrated to trade the Tuono for a lightly used, somewhat properly equipped Suzuki DL-650. It just so happened the transaction would take place at a random ADV gathering in Southern Pines NC, the exact place Josh was scheduled to arrive on May 5th, 2007, before continuing on his way. Josh and I rolled into Southern Pines. On the last mile, I blew past him, hanging on for dear life as the Tuono shifted into 4th. He gave me a thumbs down . I said “goodbye” to the Tuono:

And “HELLO” to LoveShack for the first time.

Later that evening, Josh and I met Kerry129 for the first time. Kerry pulled out a bottle of Patron, and passed it around.

I haven’t been the same since.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
FatherX
demisocial

Oddometer: 4,440
wow
Old 04-25-2014, 12:32 PM   #11
RevyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
On board..

I am on board for this excursion, ..sounds interesting for sure!

98 HD FXDWG
Revelstoke, BC.
RevyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:48 PM   #12
russbryant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,052
I've never been in at ground zero of an iDave report before!! Can't wait to get started.

Russ
Old 04-25-2014, 01:15 PM   #13
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 720
In

The Adirondacks and Beyond ADV ride report
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #14
iDave OP
Studly Adventurer

Introduction Part 3.

There’s nothing worse than experiencing the power of rejection. There’s nothing better than experiencing the power of acceptance.

Fourteen months transpired before I heard from Kerry again. I’d ridden two cross country trips. One was all about questions. The other about answers. Julie and I returned from the Southwest trip with more answers than questions. We’ve been moving forward together, ever since.

When I was almost finished writing the “Dave and Julie, Trippin’ the Southwest” report, Kerry sent me a private message. It read something like,

“I doubt you remember me, but we met in Southern Pines. You and Julie look right together.”

I fired back,

“I like how you worded that. Of course I remember you.”

I knew right then, Kerry understood. He never once judged me, unlike so many so called “friends” lost along the way. Both Kerry and Josh always stood in my corner, at times disagreeing with my path, always committed to the friendship. I am eternally grateful for the likes of Kerry and Josh. That’s what this trip is about.

On September 10th of this past year, Kerry wrote,

“Today was a good day.
I made the decision to not think of things in terms of "fighting" at this point in my life, since that evokes images of violence and agitated thrashing about. No.
Rather, I'm calculating my line and modulating my throttle into a long fast sweeping curve. I'm aiming for the apex, and planning for a good hard drive through the exit with my tires spinning & howling, a satisfied chuckle under my helmet, and gleam in my eye.
Yeah, I like that better.”

Ten days later, he sent me a text. It read,

“Hey Dave, this is Kerry… Shout at me when you have a moment to talk please. I have some bad news to share, unfortunately.”

I returned his text with a phone call two minutes later. He answered and said while laughing,

“Well that was quick.”

I replied in an elated state of euphoria,

“Listen man, I know you have some bad news to share, but before we get to that, I just gotta say, man you’ve been living life! I’ve been following along, watching you jump out of airplanes, doing track days, overnighters on the river with your kayak, getting promoted to the corner office, and Naomi! Dude! You have a girlfriend! Kerry! You’ve been living life to the fullest!”

There was a short pause. He replied,

“I have terminal esophageal cancer.”

Any light radiating from my soul crashed as soon as I heard those words. Kerry and I have a rich history. Hopefully, this video captures some of it.

Photo taken last Sunday.

Thanks for staying on board .

Dave
Old 04-25-2014, 01:30 PM   #15
1955BIKER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
I'm in.
1955BIKER is offline   Reply With Quote