Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #151
kramsetac
The Dude Abides

Oddometer: 143
Ok. The second half of Day 3. As we headed south, we crossed a couple of low ranges and ended up on at Mary's River Bridge.

But first some stupid cows. These seem more stupid than usual, as they wouldnt move and in fact moved closer as you moved through them.

Mary's River:

The 610 on the bridge:

The first of a couple of episode of electrical diagnosis on Don's bike. Never serious, but never really figured out the problem either.

While we were working on Don's bike, we heard Mike talking to someone. At first we thought it was his normal self-talk, but low and behold there were real people. This was the first of three times we would encounter this group. The chances of that are astronomical.

And off again south towards Wells.

Hey, what is Bill pointing at?

Oh. That is marginally scary!

Not sure what it was supposed to scare away. Not many folks out here!

And then...the mighty...town of...METROPOLIS:

Bill does the "Dano":

And onto Wells and finally our camp spot south of town (cant remember the name of the lake...I am sure Mike has already posted it):

A nice camp site with a real fire ring and a real fire!

A couple of artsy cloud shots to conclude my Day 3 posts!

Ok. Sorry it took so long. I will get caught up with the rest of the team tomorrow night!

Mark.

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
kramsetac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #152
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Thanks Bill, I'll post my pics which brings three of us to Carvers. These were charcoal kilns used to heat wood into charcoal for use in smelting metal. As in the 10 Wildrose kilns of Death Valley they are in good shape. Theory goes, cheaper fuels were found to substitute wood to charcoal.

Picture of Mike and Bill at the stream

Any other State wouldn't let us ride here-Thank you Nevada.

Hard to believe the pocket cam took these

Bill and Mike

The ADV road was a trail. With 70 lbs extra, it paid to make the climb in one attempt. Might be time to throw more chum in the water for Mark. He sneaked in just a second ago. Very cool- the best pictures are ahead, from Mark

tundradirtbiker screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 08:26 PM
tundradirtbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:40 AM   #153
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,636
Great report gents and lots of fun riding in the wide open spaces. The large vista pics are things I don't get over here in the jungles, thanks for sharing.

Question - If the kilns are for turning wood into charcoal for smelting.....in the deserts where do they get the wood sourced from since the land is primarily scrub brush, sage etc.?

Mike how exactly did your sidestand on the 500 break? Were you standing on the bike kickstarting it, lubing chain, etc.? Just curious if there was a rational explanation for the failure. Thanks.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #154
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Great report gents and lots of fun riding in the wide open spaces. The large vista pics are things I don't get over here in the jungles, thanks for sharing.

Question - If the kilns are for turning wood into charcoal for smelting.....in the deserts where do they get the wood sourced from since the land is primarily scrub brush, sage etc.?

Mike how exactly did your sidestand on the 500 break? Were you standing on the bike kickstarting it, lubing chain, etc.? Just curious if there was a rational explanation for the failure. Thanks.
It is awesome down there. Since we are covering so much ground, it looks from the pictures like two places are close together when they may be 50 miles apart. Nevada has a lot of very tall mountain ranges that go north south with wide flat desolate valleys between them. There really is a lot of vegetation there. The area where the kilns were was fairly mountainous. I am not sure what they burned but there is some juniper around. I knew the kilns were coming from researching for the ride but I am sure the other guys were surprised to see them. I am looking forward to exploring that area some more in the future!

Here is how the sidestand got broke.

I pulled over on the gravel shoulder on the side of the paved road. Since the bike is so tall , I got hung up trying to get off and almost fell over on my face while trying to get my right foot over the seat. Apparently the gravel was a bit soft and the sidestand sunk into the gravel a bit during all this and the bike tipped over on the sidestand side folding it up under the bike. I did not realize anything was wrong at first but while I was riding along, I figured out the sidestand had not lifted all the way up to where it is supposed to go and instead was lifted up until it had hit the swingarm. It tore the sidestand right near the point where it pivots on the bolt. I could not just get it straightened and welded somewhere as the hole where the bolt goes would need to be machined out afterward so I just took all the loose parts off and stashed them in my bag. I did call down to the KTM dealership in Elko to try to get one since we would be close to there on the trip but they had nothing. They were very nice and tried hard to be helpful including exploring the possibility of taking a sidestand off a new bike in their showroom but they did not have any bikes with sidestands left in inventory.

MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #155
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,636
I'm thinking the 500 pirouetting around on its spindly kickstand whilst fully loaded with luggage is a rational reason why it failed. A pain in the arse to happen so early in the ride I'm sure. Thanks for the explanation.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #156
kramsetac
The Dude Abides

My Day 4 pictures.

We woke up to a beautiful morning at our campsite at Angel Lake outside of Wells, NV. The camp ground is next to a cool cirque lake with a waterfall feeding it from the headwall.

The early morning sun turning everything bright yellow and green:

Then is was onto riding. We rode down Star Valley road for quite a ways on our way to Lamoille Canyon.

Then it was up Lamoille Canyon, a paved road that goes far up into the Ruby Mountain range. The top of the road is 8,800 feet, with the surround peaks exceeding 11,000.

We then continued south on our way to Ruby Valley. We stopped briefly in Jiggs to try to reach the local fire and rescue after we encountered an overturned truck on the side of the road (apparently happened the night before with no one inside). Note Mike's bike leaning on the rail:

Some other cool abandoned buildings in Jiggs:

I can't remember the name of the pass we went over to get into the Ruby Valley, but we climbed a couple of peaks on the way:

And finally, the descent into the Ruby Valley:

Ruby Valley looks like one big lake on the map, but in reality it is a marsh land with many small ponds and a few channels between. These are some shots from across the road from our BLM camp for the night:

OK. I think I am slowly getting caught up with the rest of the crew. Onto day 5 soon!

Mark.

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
Old 09-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #157
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramsetac View Post

I was completely wound out at 90 mph in that picture. I am the tiny dot you can barely see toward the middle of the picture. That was fun! I love my bike!

My son and I drove the same road in the Eurovan on our recent SW road trip going the opposite direction after we had visited Lamoille Canyon. Of course we were going much slower... He totally dug Lamoille.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #158
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
I'm thinking the 500 pirouetting around on its spindly kickstand whilst fully loaded with luggage is a rational reason why it failed. A pain in the arse to happen so early in the ride I'm sure. Thanks for the explanation.
You are correct in that it should not be expected to withstand folding under like that. It was a total bummer. At least until I realized I didn't have to open any more gates!

That said, the PMB unit is way better than stock. It has a much bigger foot on the end and is way way way more solid of a design. When the bike was leaned on the stock stand, it always seemed a little like it was balanced awkwardly and would fall over if the wind blew it or if someone sneezed. When it is on the Pro Moto Billet unit, it is solid.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #159
kramsetac
The Dude Abides

Hey! Lets take another look at Day 5!

We woke up in the BLM camp in the Ruby Valley, packed up and rode south:

Then it was over the Harrison Pass road, which is part of an old Pony Express route. We would continue on the Express Route for several hours (after an aborted attempt over another pass).

As we rode over the pass, we encountered the first big piles of wild horse droppings in several days. No horse sightings in this area.

Mike's kickstand of the hour:

As we started to go back up into the mountains, we encountered a huge herd of sheep and sheep dogs. We tried to lure this guy closer, but in the end his bark was...well...an indicator of his potential bite. We stopped bothering him!

Finally, the herd was passed and we turned to go up the canyon, once again surrounded by flowers:

As we reached the ridge, we got a glimpse of the valley beyond:

After some navigation challenges across the top, we found the proposed router over the final ridge and down the other side. Given the high wind, step and off-camber nature of the final leg, we aborted and went back down to look for another route over the top:

Out of time for tonight. Jeez this is taking a long time to get caught up!

Mark.

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
Old 09-25-2013, 10:06 PM   #160
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,538
We just got back from our trip covering some of the same routes. We were on big bikes, KTM 950 and BMW 1200, so we missed a lot of the smaller roads. Thanks for the report, we used lots of stuff from it to make our trip. It is interesting the difference in bike size, capabilities, and the change in season. It was really cool to see the places in person that we have only read about and seen pictures of. You said you were wound out at 90 on that road. Both my husband and I said "F#*k THAT!" Then we read that you had just travelled the road before your trip. Oh, now that makes sense. I took a nice high side through a silt bed on Jungo road at about 40mph, and that cooled our jets for the trip. So many roads begged for speed, but the fear of the unknown is a very real thing out in Nevada. Can't wait for the rest of the report. Nevada is the most beautiful secret in the U.S.

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #161
kramsetac
The Dude Abides

Resuming Day 5. When we last left our ride, we were turned around at the top of a very high, rough, and windy pass.

And on to the next pass:

The top! Still on the Pony Express route:

Its pretty damn windy up here:

The view into the next valley again. This time about 15 miles south of the aborted attempt:

Down in the valley, we encountered several herds of wild horses. Damn they like to run when you come around. This was shot with a 400 mm lens:

Another herd a few miles further down the valley:

And finally, we encountered this very old horse, that didnt run...in fact didnt even care to move!

Finally, close to our camp for the night up Luther Waddles wash:

Looking closer, we notices some decorations that the ranchers left. Apparently they like to decorate with dead coyotes:

And finally to our Day 5 camp:

Day 6 coming up!

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
Old 09-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #162
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,538
Your trip this spring.

Our trip this fall. Sorry for the quality, it's from the GoPro video.

Cool, huh? Thanks for the inspiration!

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #163
kramsetac
The Dude Abides

Cool comparison. We have been through that valley the last two years on our trips. Its one of the most picturesque valleys I've seen.

Mark.

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
Old 09-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #164
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,589
Phenomenal pics gentlemen.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #165
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes950 View Post
Cool, huh? Thanks for the inspiration!
Hobbes950,
Thanks for the comparison. I am glad to hear we were some sort of inspirtation to visit the area. That is part of the reason why I have been posting up these report for the last few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Phenomenal pics gentlemen.
browneye,
Thanks. It is photogenic country!

Mark,

Great pictures! It looks like you are catching up.

I am going to post up the last couple days of this trip over the next few days. It has been stringing along for far too long.

I hope everyone is ok with that??