Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2013, 05:45 AM   #16
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,397
Hey Idahosam. It is good to see you are following along. I hope your leg is healing up.

Day 1
June 15, 2013

We left DJ at around 8am.

Had a good ride over Denio Pass.

One of the last pictures of my bike with the stock kickstand.

I had come up with a plan on how to communicate what to do with gates from the front of the group to the back of the group. I tied some pink flagging tape onto a bunch of clothespins and carried them on my bike. The plan was for me to mark the closed gates with the pink ribbon and to do nothing to the gates which were open. Then the last rider would close the pink ribbon marked gates and take the clothes pin off. When we met up later, all the clothespins would be returned to me to use again. This technique ended up working very well. At least until my kickstand broke.

I broke my kickstand off the bike before Orovada so spent some time removing it and sorting out why my horn, turn signals and fan were not working. It was a blown fuse.

Next we rode over the Santa Rosa Range on a new route for this year. It was beautiful. We skirted to the north of Granite Peak. The route had a bunch of climbs up the ridgeline. Great riding!

We continued thru the hills and crossed the Calico Mountains at Mahogany Pass.

In this picture looking from Mahogany Pass back toward the west where we had just come from, you can see Granite Peak in the middle of the range in the background.

Just after the pass, there was a side road that went up to a radio site.

Here is the view toward where we had just come from.

And here is the view of the Owyhee Desert and way off in the distance the Bull Run Mountains that I hoped to camp in later in the day.

From there it was a long dusty ride across the Owyhee Desert.

I had a wipeout that unfortunately made my Montana quit working.

By the time we reached the intersection with 728, we were pretty strung out.

Bill arrived, then later Mark. he brought news that Chuck had crashed and was having trouble getting his bike to run. We waited more hoping they would show up. Finally we decided to head back. Luckily we did not get too far before we met the rest of the group. Chuck was ok and his bike was running so we headed off to find a place to camp.

We rode and rode. The sun was setting then it was getting dark. I kept looking for spur roads off the road to camp on. All of them were posted as private by IL Ranch / Newmont Mine. Finally we passed a Toiyabe NF sign. I took the next turn and found a nice flower covered spot.

Finally we could set up camp in the dark. Everyone was tired and we all crashed out.

212 miles today.

Today’s route:

MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #17
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,110
It's taking way too long to heal-up ....... I lost this summer but had a hell of a good spring.

Man, you are sure pushing the distance and spreading out, but hell of a great route you got going.

I am up to riding on back roads but not anything rough too painful to stand on the pegs (ankle pain) but I'm OK with FS roads now; I'll get there.

Some mighty lonely terrain Huh! So, Have you ever been out riding the back country all alone stop on a plateau with a view, kill the engine to take it all in and listen to gentle breeze and observe the flora and listen to the indigenous fauna, when................ that eerie, subconscious feeling creeps out and says what if the bike won't start......... then that Ephemeral moment of panic sweeps over you; I hate it when that happens! but then you punch the Start button and she comes to life; so you ponder "what the hell was that all about" and as you ride off it fades from your memory as quick as it had entered.

You may continue

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #18
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
It's taking way too long to heal-up ....... I lost this summer but had a hell of a good spring.

Man, you are sure pushing the distance and spreading out, but hell of a great route you got going.

I am up to riding on back roads but not anything rough too painful to stand on the pegs (ankle pain) but I'm OK with FS roads now; I'll get there.

Some mighty lonely terrain Huh! So, Have you ever been out riding the back country all alone stop on a plateau with a view, kill the engine to take it all in and listen to gentle breeze and observe the flora and listen to the indigenous fauna, when................ that eerie, subconscious feeling creeps out and says what if the bike won't start......... then that Ephemeral moment of panic sweeps over you; I hate it when that happens! but then you punch the Start button and she comes to life; so you ponder "what the hell was that all about" and as you ride off it fades from your memory as quick as it had entered.

You may continue
Having been a boat mechanic for many years, I am confident in my ability to fix something with nothing. The concern that creeps into my mind more is the possibility of injury to me or my machine due to a crash. Anyone who has ridden with me can tell you that I enjoy the thrill of traveling at high speed on my bike.

I am relying on the other riders in my group just as they are relying on me to work as a team to conquer any challenges that we face on these trips whether it is an obstacle on the trail or an injury or an accident we may happen upon. This is one of the many reasons I enjoy them so much.

This is just the first day of 8. It was a long day but there are still quite a few left. Now I will give the other riders a chance to share their stories. We were really spread out across the Owyhee so I missed out on some of the drama.

MasterMarine screwed with this post 08-14-2013 at 08:53 PM Reason: color change
Old 08-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #19
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Great intro pics. And the story line is developing nicely . . .

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #20
liv2rydktms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,249
I'm waitin

IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

liv2rydktms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #21
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
I think I'll tag along. Nevada was termed by Glen Plake as "just like Baja
20 years ago." If it's half as good, I'm in.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #22
DUCKSPANKER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I will post some pics tonight and keep this thread rolling.

Chuck
DUCKSPANKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #23
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2rydktms View Post
Same here. The other guys have some perspective to add to the story.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #24
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246

This is one of Mark's pictures. He has a lot more to post when he gets some time. We threw out the bait a shade early of pitching the net. There will be more eye candy for masochist desert riders.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #25
BUSdriver
Pop Copy Manager

Oddometer: 79
First of all... I wish to thank MasterMarine for putting in countless hours to plan and organize the ride. It's a thankless job at times but he did an awesome job planning the route and taking care of a lot of things that made the ride possible. A big thumbs up to Mike!

Day one... in a word, rough.

It started out nicely enough but the 2+ hours toward the end of the day of Owyhee desert with deep ruts and large, hidden rocks (and a metal grate) buried in fine sand that had the consistency of talcum power was not the most enjoyable. A little bit was fine but it just NEVER ENDED! The terrain wasn't impassable but after an already long day, being tired didn't help the situation. We were actually a bit lucky, I think, that no-one had a major incident. Chuck's crash was pretty spectacular and he's lucky he didn't get injured more than he did.

My WR250R with the IMS 4.7 gallon tank. Some of you may notice that I am carrying about 60 pounds of gear LESS than last year. What a difference. Also, the IMS tank carries the weight low enough to make the ride feel almost unnoticeable between full and empty.

Mark

Dale

This is what I saw when I rode the 11 miles back to where Chuck had wiped out. He apparently hit a metal grate (next photo) that was buried in the powdery sand. The next thing he knew he was on the ground with dust completely filling his helmet. The DRZ suffered a bent radiator fan shroud and a shift lever that was yanked completely off the bike. Fortunately Dale found it in the deep piles of dust.

Road Hazard

One of the beautiful views of Day 1

A summary of Day 1

Overall, a good day... but the best was yet to come.

I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by noon I'm only half done.

http://mototrailadventures.blogspot.com/

BUSdriver screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 04:30 PM
BUSdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #26
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,695
In!

Love those pics
Of northern NV
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #27
650x
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
Riding Nevada is great. Looking forward to more of your story.
DISCLAIMER: Suitability of any roads or trails mentioned in my ride reports are given from the view point of me and my wife (two old grandparents of moderate riding ability) and may or may not be applicable to your personal situation. Be mature, ride within your own abilities.
650x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #28
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
A narrow dirt road lead to this meadow. We were riding on headlight and Mike told me to check it out. Perfect with a flat open area for pitching tent. I returned to the road, flagging down the crew for entry.

Bill & Mark pack up in the morning after the first day.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #29
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,773
Whoa! That's a busy first day out. Buncha miles and silt and rocks,sounds like Nevada. Kudos to the Gentleman riding the KLR,that's a lotta bike to ride through tricky desert.

Hard to plan around smacking a metal grate buried in the silt,that sucks!

Looks like a nice camping spot,hope the next day goes smoother.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #30
DUCKSPANKER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
First day for me in one word (OUCH!)
The trip started off great, Dan, Scott, Dale and I got and early start on our trip down Denio made a few stops for food and we got the best milk shakes in the world in Fields http://www.thefieldsstation.com/index.html
arrived in Denio Junction with time meet Don, unload the bikes, prep them for the ride and get a great burger and drinks. It also had time to talk Bobby and the gang from Denio Junction and check out Mikes new KTM 500 when he arrived.

Dale might have forgot something at home, he is looking real hard to find what ever was missing.

Who is your daddy!!

Dan tried to steel Mikes new ride but he could not get his leg over the seat.

The next day after a big breakfast we posed for pics with your clean gear and bikes and headed out.

Always fun trying to figure out a new GPS unit.

We stopped after a small water crossing and found these giant white balls everywhere.

Mark tried to tell us it was poop from a rare desert yeti or albino bigfoot but only Dan was buying the story.

We found out they are Giant Mushrooms and can get up to 40lbs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvatia_gigantea

After miles of perfect weather and riding conditions we stopped for another break on a hill top location, Dan was checking his phone updating Facebook or texting and tried mounting his bike a little early (texting and motorcycles don't mix).

(Has anyone seen my bike?)

This is a very rare photo of Dan taking a pic.

After we gassed up the bikes we had a small delay while Mike replaced the Blown fuse that must of happen when his stick stand failed a few miles before the gas station.

All fixed we headed out to the Rocks, Sand and Silt that never seem to end.

Almost at the end of the silt road, I had a get off doing 30+ and can't believe I only ended up with only my left arm with road rash and bruised up, the bike took most of the damage, radiator smashed, kill switch damaged and jammed in on kill mode, shift lever gone (Thank you Dale for finding it for me) and also smash the fan. After sending Don off to inform everyone what happen, Dale and I did some repairs and Scott showed up to help out a little, tested the bike and we were on are way. (Dirty but very happy we could get the bike operating so far from anything). It took some time before we got back up with the group it was getting cold and dark, but we found a great spot to camp and setup was easy got something eat and Dan informed us we had cell phone coverage and in 4G, did not see that coming. Next morning more repairs to get the fan operational.

DUCKSPANKER screwed with this post 08-16-2013 at 02:14 PM
DUCKSPANKER is offline   Reply With Quote