Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #16
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 637
health insurance through work ??

ahhh I remember those days

now we get 50 bucks a month and have to find our own

guess it beats a poke in the eye? so paying 200 bucks a month out of pocket and a 5k deductible my insurance is really on good for a major deal like a heart attack and even then it would put me in the poor house

I was asked about motorcycles when I signed up but I didn't have one then

I was asked about alcohol also LOL

i would abide by the boots,gloves,helmet , but the jacket would actually kill me faster here in the AZ desert
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #17
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
It would seem the insurance companies have access to some information that many motorcylists deny the existence of. I don't really have a problem with the idea but there needs to be an option to simply pay a higher premium rather than saying you HAVE to do this or that in order to have coverage.

Requiring people to wear certain gear or take training seems like opening a can of worms. What if someone has a wreck and is hospitalized for head injuries but wasn't wearing the "approved" footwear? Are they covered? What if their helmet doesn't fit or the faceshield is badly scratched, etc. Who is going to make the call as to whether it meets requirements or not and will they try to deny claims over such things. Should car drivers be denied coverage if their car doesn't have an airbag or ABS?
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #18
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 637
From what I gather the insurance companies already do deny claims if your not wearing the proper saftey gear

a seat belt
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #19
genespleen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Not to worry, The Government will soon dictate all heath insurance. [snip]
Can't wait!
genespleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #20
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Sheep.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #21
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Sheep.
You don't sound condescending enough, try "Wake up sheeple!"
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:58 AM   #22
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristof-lars View Post
little off topic but any ideas on traveller insurance? im heading over seas and need this as part of my visa was wondering if riding over there now requires more equipment?
Nope but leave your pudding boll helmet at home as most place require you it were. A proper helmet. We're did you have in mine? As most just require gloves helmet.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:36 AM   #23
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
I'll be ok with it, as soon as they start raising the rates for fat people...and not America's idea of fat, the world's standard.
We recently had a survey for our health insurance at work, if you are a smoker you are going to pay more for insurance now; and additional $50 a month. How about we tag along with this and do heath screenings, your outcome determines your rates Want to be 90lbs overweight I have no problem with that, but you have to accept the consequence, you get to pay more for coverage since you are statistically going to have more issues, and more of them are going to be serious....

I would have no issue with the demands to wear a minimum of safety gear to continue to participate in the plan, providing that other risk groups are separated also, overweight, smoker, race driver, etc... If you want to be in a higher risk category, you should be paying more, not expecting everybody else to absorb the cost of your choices
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:31 AM   #24
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,116
There are health and life insurance clauses that discriminate against motorcycle racers. Not a big leap to discriminate against all riders.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:35 AM   #25
dazeedmonds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
We recently had a survey for our health insurance at work, if you are a smoker you are going to pay more for insurance now; and additional $50 a month. How about we tag along with this and do heath screenings, your outcome determines your rates Want to be 90lbs overweight I have no problem with that, but you have to accept the consequence, you get to pay more for coverage since you are statistically going to have more issues, and more of them are going to be serious....

I would have no issue with the demands to wear a minimum of safety gear to continue to participate in the plan, providing that other risk groups are separated also, overweight, smoker, race driver, etc... If you want to be in a higher risk category, you should be paying more, not expecting everybody else to absorb the cost of your choices
The company I work for has a system like that. There are 5 categories ranging from Dead Man Walking to Mr. Universe. What category you fall into is based on a number of factors including Weight, Overall Fitness, risk factors (mainly health based; smoker, high cholesterol etc..) and that determines the price you pay for insurance. It's roughly a $300 per month spread if you have your whole family on your insurance. Plus the company provides a subscription service that will help you lose weight, and has competitions similar to Biggest Loser with pretty good cash prizes for losing weight, or getting yourself healthier.

Thankfully they don't ask about skydiving, motorcycle riding or other activities yet.
dazeedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:37 AM   #26
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
There are health and life insurance clauses that discriminate against motorcycle racers. Not a big leap to discriminate against all riders.
Discrimination is wrong, but there is nothing wrong with asking you to pay a higher premium.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:49 AM   #27
dazeedmonds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
Discrimination is wrong, but there is nothing wrong with asking you to pay a higher premium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Racers paying more is not limited to motorcycles, all racers pay more for insurance, in fact most athletes pay more. Their bodies simply take more abuse whether or not they die as a result. Ripping around a track at speeds approaching (and passing) 200MPH is simply more likely to cause a shortened life span than working a "normal" job. Plus the damage to the body every time they walk away from an accident.

The fact is: life is risky and while the tree that's outside my living room could come crashing down and end my tenure on this planet abruptly, it is more likely that an F1/MotoGP/NASCAR/Indy driver will end up getting hurt in the course of their "normal" work week. So they pay more, they are higher risk. Same reason a 17 year old kid with a Camaro pays $400 per month for Auto Insurance, and 32 year old me with an Xterra and a Bike, and a Passat pays $400 every six months. I am less likely to wrap my vehicles around a tree, or a soccer mom's van. That's how insurance works.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:53 AM   #28
River
Gee

Oddometer: 187
We pay a little higher premium for a few bikes that are considered 'performance' bikes. They have a list of the specific bikes from all manufactures.
Helmets are law, thats it.
Healthcare is free, If I need to go to the hospital, I go, get fixed, go home.(hopefully).
not to complicated
Old 08-12-2013, 06:03 AM   #29
dazeedmonds
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
We pay a little higher premium for a few bikes that are considered 'performance' bikes. They have a list of the specific bikes from all manufactures.
Helmets are law, thats it.
Healthcare is free, If I need to go to the hospital, I go, get fixed, go home.(hopefully).
not to complicated
Come down south and read some of our healthcare options.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:21 AM   #30
justafurnaceman
Imaginary

Oddometer: 965
In the military we're required to wear a certain amount of gear. Helmet (if not full face then glasses too), gloves, long sleeve shirt or jacket, and over the ankle boots. For the most part people are wearing it including those that crash and burn. The issue is that we're having a big number of people who crash on their own, usually in a corner while traveling at a high rate of speed. The insurance companies can require certain gear but it's not necessarily going to change anything.

My friend gives me a hard time about the thought that he has to pay for my "high risk" activities but what about me paying for him when he goes for a triple bypass due to him eating at McDonalds every day for breakfast? Is the insurance company going after him and those like him next? Imagine such a nanny state that every part of our lifestyle is monitored (activities and meals) to determine how much THEY should pay and how much we pay.

"Sorry Mr. Furnace Man, we think that double bacon cheeseburger that you ate last November contributed to your heart attack so we're only covering 10% of the surgery."