Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 01:06 AM   #16
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgoFar View Post
My GS goes through two rear tires, 10 to 12k per tire, to one front tire. On the other hand, my RT wore both tires at the same time, about 12 to 14k. I figure it's got something to do with weight bias.
My front wear out before my rear as I have put a new front on not long ago and my rear is getting there. It seems I go thought 2 fronts to 1 rear.
It's trail attacks on a r100gs.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:15 AM   #17
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 1,907
A few years ago I had a Concours C-14 for a summer (took just that long for me to decide wasn't what I wanted).

The front OEM rubber was trash by 4000 miles, so both were changed out.

The PR2 pair that replaced them were toast after 6000 miles. Again the front was worn more.

That was my first experience with something other that 1 front lasting for 2 rears.

sugarhillctd on the
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:58 AM   #18
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 668
On my AX-1 (Honda 250 road/trail bike), I am on my fifth rear to the same front. That said, it's due for a new front - but I want to make it last until I find a nice 19' tire and not the Taiwan shit usually found here in Cambodia.

My EXC gets a new front every two rears, usually - though it depends on terrain.

On scoots I usually change both at the same time.

It's always going to vary depending on bike choice and riding style.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:23 AM   #19
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBreeze View Post

an example.

judging by the fact there's still tread remaining, I expect that I changed a bit soon... both times I've swapped tires I did so before heading out and I didn't want to worry about wearing out a tire away from home so I changed before leaving.
They look about 5mm about that my rear has but I will be using it down to 2mm before I buy then fit my new one
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:00 AM   #20
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 928
It all depends in how you ride your bike, aggressive or passive or if you carry a load often.

Gone thru a few tires on different machines:

My Honda Scooter pretty even.
My K75S rear first but the front not much left, almost even.
My R1150 Rockster, twice the front first, but loaded on a trip to Ak the rear at just over 5K and the front still good at 9k now.
My MV F4 the front has worn out first, everytime.
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #21
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,339
Simply put the rear tire is usually doing more.

Plus a lot of people run equal pressures and that also makes the rear wear faster (I always run the front a few PSI lower).

Last set of tires I had to change the front was completely bald on the sides, and the rear still had siping, both were sufficiently thrashed through.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #22
gmk999
____ as a Rotax

Oddometer: 280
F650 here

Rears last about 1/2 the mileage on dual p tires but I get about 10k out of the rears.
With dot knobs rears last at best 2-3 k and the fronts still have whiskers.
Anyone ever use a Knob on front and a dual p on the rear? It doesn't bother me at all to have the bike slide a bit at the rear on the dirt roads, but I hate the way the dual P front tires are on the marbles.
I don't ride terribly hard on the pavement, though I will say (ahem..) the strips on my rear conti tc80's right now are less the 1/4" but that may have a bit to do with getting the tire on edge during a slide.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #23
H e a d N o r t h
(take the high road)

Oddometer: 912
I ride a Caponord with same size wheels as the big GS's.
In my experience, the 'streetier' the tire, the closer I get to 2 rears to 1 front.
With the knobbier options, I've been closer to equal, front and rear (though they wear differently - rear evenly, fronts with knobs getting worn more at the leading edges).

YMMV

First Ride...EVER!
Jan. 1, 2012
H e a d N o r t h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #24
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,298
I tend to wear the sides off of the front tires and the middle of the rear. At least on the more powerful bikes like my KTM. I'll normally replace them both at the same time.

For some reason I'm more likely to get two rears to one front on my XR650L. I don't know why that is.

These came off of my KTM a few weeks ago:
Old 08-13-2013, 06:11 AM   #25
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 463
On my 94 BMW RS, up to about 120k miles I used to get terrible front tire wear; significant cupping/scalloping, weird off center wear on the front, and about 8,000 miles to a set of tires, with the front wearing out much more than the rear. Then I replaced the long crapped out stock shocks for a set of Wilbers. Here's the results:
  • I now get about 12,000 miles from a set of tires, the front almost wears out at the same time as the rear,
  • Next to no cupping/scalloping at all, even at 10k to 12k miles, nice even front tire wear,
  • I now run 40psi and about 42 psi rear, good grip and better wear,
  • Didn't change my riding habits one bit, same roads, same loads,
  • Got the same tire results with four different tire brands (all sport touring tires) over four seasons of riding.
Unique to the RS is the asymetrical (left to right) loading on the bike, a large portion of the fuel load is RH of center, driveshaft is on the RH side. This requires a minor, but constant LH grip countersteer input to maintain straight ahead. My left hand always gets more sore than my throttle hand.

I'm convinced the total lack of damping in the original stock shocks significantly impacted the front tire wear. I theorize the lack of damping caused the front tire to "flutter" up and down at a high rate. This caused a constant leading edge block wear on the front tire especially. I don't buy the road-crown/left turns/hard braking/aggressive-riding theories. Because the only two things I changed was the shocks and the tire pressures. All other factors remain the same.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #26
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
ok... the other day I was reading a thread on here and a guy mentioned he needs to stop braking before turns so much. I don't quite understand why. yes I do brake but then try to ride through at a fair speed, accelerating out when it makes sense. (sort of like I do when driving cars)...
Trail braking is now pretty standard practice for performance driving in cars. Brake, stop braking, and then turn was when a "sports car" meant something like an MG-B

It is trickier to trail brake to the max on motorcycles for the obvious reason of "losing the front" if you overdo it. Maybe this other guy, whose post I didn't see, wanted to be faster overall, or maybe even worse he realized he was slowing down too much and accelerating through the entire turn. Since the context of this other guy's post is not reported here, we really can't tell what his issue was. But it's not that mystifying to come up with possible scenarios.

You apparently corner rather conservatively and that is your choice, but some people would like to be faster through a corner overall.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #27
KoolBreeze OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
Trail braking is now pretty standard practice for performance driving in cars. Brake, stop braking, and then turn was when a "sports car" meant something like an MG-B

It is trickier to trail brake to the max on motorcycles for the obvious reason of "losing the front" if you overdo it. Maybe this other guy, whose post I didn't see, wanted to be faster overall, or maybe even worse he realized he was slowing down too much and accelerating through the entire turn. Since the context of this other guy's post is not reported here, we really can't tell what his issue was. But it's not that mystifying to come up with possible scenarios.

You apparently corner rather conservatively and that is your choice, but some people would like to be faster through a corner overall.
more conservative than some, less conservative than others. can't say about the B, I owned a C.

perhaps you have some insight other than what was previously offered into my actual issue of front vs rear tire wear? although I expect all that's been fairly well covered.

KoolBreeze screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 06:17 PM
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #28
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
perhaps you have some insight other than what was previously offered into my actual issue of front vs rear tire wear? although I expect all that's been fairly well covered.
Do you also accelerate conservatively? If you do heavy front braking and only gentle acceleration that would tend to preserve the rear. I always gotten two or even three times as much mileage out of a front tire as a rear tire. The more knobby the tire and the more dirt, the faster the rears wear (opposite to someone else who posted here). But I've been primarily a dirt rider, and in dirt for me the rear is frequently spinning, so it is pretty obvious why it wears out faster. Some of the dirt racers in my club change a rear tire as often as every week or two, not worn "out" (they sell them or give them away) but they are worn.

I've been riding more pavement recently than I ever have before, so perhaps now (at least on my big bike) my front & rear tires will wear more evenly. But I still ride on dirt sometimes, and still routinely spin the rear when I do. Also come to think of it, on dirt I frequently lock up the rear on braking. So all that wears the rear faster.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:43 AM   #29
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
I tend to wear the sides off of the front tires and the middle of the rear. At least on the more powerful bikes like my KTM. I'll normally replace them both at the same time.

These came off of my KTM a few weeks ago:
^^ This is my normal wear pattern as well, fronts able to go maybe 30% longer than my rears, but definitely worth changing at the same time.

The normal wear pattern on my stock Harley was a little different, however.... go figure.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:28 AM   #30
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,471
I always seem to have the front tire cup before the tread is worn out. Not sure what I'm doing to cause it....played with pressure but it doesn't seem to make much difference. Must be the way I ride because I had the same issue on two different bikes. Not real issues with the rear.