User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
Mackatoni OP
Getting older

Oddometer: 57
07 KTM ADV 990 S Speedo/tach problems!

Heres the problem, this just recently developed. I first noticed the other night on my way home that the tach needle was jumping randomly (along with a FI light that went out immediately) when i was about a block from my house. I had just replaced the cockpit housing so figured the connection was loose. Next day i went to ride the bike and figured id check out the connections when i got to my buddies house. On the way there the Speedo started jumping around reading all sorts of random speeds. Every other cycle would be in the high 100mph then back to whatever my actual speed was. So now i figured i must have a connection problem going on so i stripped the thing down when i got to my destination.

First things first i double checked all the connections with the speedo, tach, wheel speed sensor, and other general connections behind the headlight. Found nothing out of place, no loose connections and no burnt or iffy wires. I then double checked the line going to the speed sensor, seemed all good there no obvious damage. Front rotor had all the bolts for the hall effect/speed sensor so that had nothing do to with it.

Frustrated and figured maybe i would get lucky and one of the connections seated better i bolted it all back up and headed back towards home. First thing that happened next was the speedo started to flicker on and off! Now im thinking, Well great now im worse off then when i started! On the way home the FI light would come on for a split second or two then shut off, the tach was jumping all over the place, the speedo was reading funky numbers, and the speedo was flickering with what seemed like a power loss.

I thought for a moment it was the wheel speed sensor, from what it looks like it has three wires, i assume the speedo one uses two and the third went to the tach?!?!? Not 100% but that seemed like the clear cut problem, however once the speedo started to flick on and off i ran out of ideas! Maybe the fuses were loose (i know i know but ive seen it happen before) but the speedo and tach arent on the same circuit and i think the tach light would flicker as well if that was the case.....

Im stuck and frustrated, anyone else have a similar issue?

BTW the bike ran flawless during the whole ride with no hiccups just electrical nigthmares!

Any ideas welcome, including changing the muffler bearings
Mackatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
coconuttele
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
had a similair problem on my 07. mine ended up being a bad abs shut off switch on the dash. after chasing wires for weeks, replaceing the wheel sensor, and haveing the ktm mechanic look at it (for a small fortune and suggest a new dash unit0. another inmate told me to replace the abs switch. $35 later no issues since.
coconuttele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
Mackatoni OP
Getting older

Damn i really hope it ends up being that simple. This bike doesnt have ABS because its the S. Im gonna rip back into it again in a couple of hours and hopefully find the problem....
Old 08-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
GrenDesb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Speedo signal on ABS bikes is from the ABS sensor, through the ABS module and through the ABS light/button.

If you have no ABS, S bike, your speed sensor should hook directly behind the cluster.

Mine was doing similar to yours not the speedo but only the RPM was randomly going crazy and FI light was flashing. Bike would hesistate some when this would happen.

Ended up being a wire from the ignition that was cut. Loom was too tight and the wire got cut from bending too sharply around the plastic thing that closes the side of the frame. Had to cut open the loom to see the cut wire, coule feel a weird bump but was not visible.

What made me doubt the problem was in this area is that suddenly turning hard left hitting the steering stop would flash the FI light.

Appart from that, the switch itself, contacts can get dirty or loose, shutting power to the instrument and maybe the main relay, battery poles, grounds, etc. can make weird things happen.
GrenDesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
TEZZA
ADV B4 DEM/TED

Oddometer: 271
Eh? Elec tical Conecting Pins

This might help you ??/??
I did have some troubles with my fuel pump and found that the Pins in the Plug were slipping . To stop this I pushed the Pins in from behind the Plug when connected to get me going .
The Pins I made them fit the Plug tighter and solved the problem .
Try pushing the Pins in to the Plug .
Tezza
Now the Perfect pair!!!!
TEZZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
Mackatoni OP
Getting older

Fixed it!!! Ended up being a bad chasis ground wire, it was pinched/rubbing and worn through. Ran a new wire and grounded out the system and it works like a charm!!

Thanks guys for the ideas and pictures, im now gonna go double check to make sure the harness isnt getting tugged on up by the steering stem, sounds likea few of these bikes have had the problem

Cheers,

Dave