Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #46
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyboots View Post
You're not paying attention, the discussion is not about longer wheel base. Please read things before you respond.
Have you read the question in the thread title, as well as the question in the OP's post? I've responded to both, as they were not quite the same question.

Do YOU know exactly why BMW decided to use a longer swing-arm?

Was it it to increase rear wheel-travel? This COULD offer better traction in many conditions, even if the wheelbase was unchanged.

Was it because they wanted to try that different steering angle up front, but still wanted to maintain a similar wheelbase?

I don't know what their reason was. I don't claim to have insider knowledge of BMW's engineering and design strategies.

Kommando screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 09:04 AM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #47
boatpuller OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quick sidebar here...

...we've now moved to a third section of the ADV website. Wonder what the record for being moved is?

Alright, now back to your discussion.....
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #48
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Coming from someone who claims its a good idea to use autolube oil in 2T race bikes, thats a rather peculiar suggestion Joe...................lol

But as you seem to be claiming you are technically competent, why not have a go at answering the OPs original question?
You're the only one blithering about injector oil here or anywhere else Twin-shitter. Put down the crack-pipe and pay attention. Stop trying to destroy another thead of somebody else.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #49
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growl View Post
Longer wheelbase moves center of gravity forward
can someone explain this concept to me

I understand that extending the swingarm will put the rear wheel further behind the center of gravity, but I fail to see how this would move the COG forward at all, in fact, wouldn't it move back?
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #50
joexr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
can someone explain this concept to me

I understand that extending the swingarm will put the rear wheel further behind the center of gravity, but I fail to see how this would move the COG forward at all, in fact, wouldn't it move back?
Center of gravity is balance point. Longer swingarm moves the wheel back farther from the balance point with little added weight. Center of mass stays close to same point , but now rear wheel is farther away. Same weight on front wheel , less on back. COG is farther forward as a percentage of wheelbase.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #51
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Center of gravity is balance point. Longer swingarm moves the wheel back farther from the balance point with little added weight. Center of mass stays close to same point , but now rear wheel is farther away. Same weight on front wheel , less on back. COG is farther forward as a percentage of wheelbase.
I understand percentage, COG still moved back further away from front wheel, nothing moves forward by adding to the back
99 SV650
82 XV920R
Old 08-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #52
joexr
Banned

Quote:
I understand percentage, COG still moved back further away from front wheel, nothing moves forward by adding to the back
You're thinking center of wheelbase. Let's try it this way. You have a 400 LB. bike with a 60'' wheelbase and 50/50 weight distribution. That's 200 LB.s per wheel. Now we stretch the swingarm 15''. No longer 50/50. Let's leave out the 5 LB.s added to the swingarm to keep it simple. Bike still weighs 400 LB.s. Where's the weght now? Get it?
Old 08-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #53
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

I get what yer saying that the ratio of weight distribution has shifted to a forward bias

but the COG has still moved further behind the front wheel...... moving rearward in my book even if the front is more weight biased

and because the seating position has not moved, only the swingarm length and rear wheel, the COG has moved also rearward in relation to my seating position

so tell me again how extending a swingarm moves the COG forward
99 SV650
82 XV920R
Old 08-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #54
outrunner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
On the new GS the swingarm pivot point has been moved 2" forward, the wheelbase remains the same. The longer swingarm lets the rear wheel move up and down in a more vertical manner thus improving traction. I doubt if the centre of gravity has changed................but I could be wrong, it's not unknown.

Andy.
outrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #55
joexr
Banned

Quote:
I get what yer saying that the ratio of weight distribution has shifted to a forward bias

but the COG has still moved further behind the front wheel...... moving rearward in my book even if the front is more weight biased

and because the seating position has not moved, only the swingarm length and rear wheel, the COG has moved also rearward in relation to my seating position

so tell me again how extending a swingarm moves the COG forward
The center of the bike is moved rearward as a percentage of wheelbase, but the balance point/COG ,is in the same place , in relation to the unchanged frame. As a percentage of wheelbase , the COG has moved forward.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:36 AM   #56
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
You're the only one blithering about injector oil here or anywhere else Twin-shitter. Put down the crack-pipe and pay attention. Stop trying to destroy another thead of somebody else.

Please answer the OP's original question joe. You seem to be very interested in attacking others, but not much use in helping anyone out with concise and accurate responses to questions.

Personally dont see a lot of point in trolls such as yourself posting anything (other than entertainment value of course!).
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:39 AM   #57
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The center of the bike is moved rearward as a percentage of wheelbase, but the balance point/COG ,is in the same place , in relation to the unchanged frame. As a percentage of wheelbase , the COG has moved forward.
Lol.................you dont have any problem with showing just how foolish you actually are do you joe?

If you are completely out of your depth, why bother to post nonsense?
Old 08-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #58
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrunner View Post
On the new GS the swingarm pivot point has been moved 2" forward, the wheelbase remains the same. The longer swingarm lets the rear wheel move up and down in a more vertical manner thus improving traction. I doubt if the centre of gravity has changed................but I could be wrong, it's not unknown.

Andy.

Interesting.................does the bike have a far shorter motor then?
Old 08-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #59
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro View Post
The only way this picture could have more ADV topics in it is if she were holding dino oil in one hand and synthetic in the other.

At least she's safe from surprise wheelies.
'03 KTM 640AdvR - Sold, and I miss her
Several other KTMs, Suzukis, etc.
SATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #60
joexr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Interesting.................does the bike have a far shorter motor then?
Motor could be shorter or further forward in the frame , DUMBASS.