Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #166
farrington300
No wait....What?

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagofast View Post
It was probably an interesting debrief in the Yamaha garages with plenty of head scratching going on. George's bike started out fast and got slower and slower, Vale's started off slow and got faster and faster. Love to have been a fly on the wall for that.
Agreed. The first half of the race I was waiting to see him pop around the corner in the back ground and he seemed very far back. Then out of no where he was right behind cal. In his post race interview he said the bike feels better after the tire goes off a little and slides. Jlo said just the opposite. Interesting.
farrington300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #167
WVMTS
Podunk Chillbilly

Oddometer: 210
Don't be surprised if Ducati is not there in 2014. They scaled it down and with attendance, it's not looking real promising. Even with the announcement that Indy is going to hold the race again, they (Indy) have the option to back out. Good race though.

WVMTS screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 08:48 PM
WVMTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #168
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
Will Hayden beat him on the proddy Honda next year?
Good question. From what I've heard, the 2014 Desmosedici will be significantly different to this year's bike. Sucks for Hayden to lose his ride this year, just when big changes are starting to happen. 2015, Ducati might even be actually competitive.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #169
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork-Chop Express View Post
In some ways you could say Ducati has given Nicky a job for the last 4 years knowing he had little chance of winning them a championship but I personally think they took a talented rider and put him on a machine that had no shot at winning. I have a feeling the only reason they kept Nicky around for all of these years was to make their primary sponsor happy..
I think Hayden was hired as a development rider, and let's not forget the $10 million or so they have put in his pocket. Don't cry for me, Argentina.

azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #170
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Quote:
Old dog practicing new tricks?

Never be too proud to learn.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #171
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
Good question. From what I've heard, the 2014 Desmosedici will be significantly different to this year's bike..
The Sirens' Song.....
Old 08-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #172
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Quote:
It was probably an interesting debrief in the Yamaha garages with plenty of head scratching going on. George's bike started out fast and got slower and slower, Vale's started off slow and got faster and faster.
Different setup strategies for fuel loads?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Crutchlow
“I covered the line, but he still made it through, so; bastard! I had a lot of fun though I think the three of us gave the American fans something to cheer. I lost a couple points in the championship. But as most people know, I'm not expected to beat the factory team. So to be in contention with them, I'm happy enough.”

Crutchlow's Tech 3 Yamaha had a new fuel tank and seat unit for this weekend's event, which produced the hoped for improvement in early race pace - but requires a better set-up to avoid being out of balance in the latter stages.

“It was the first weekend we've had the new fuel tank and seat unit, and it went the opposite way for me. I was fast at the start of the race and bad at the end,” he revealed. “We're normally in the opposite way around. We just had the balance of the bike wrong. For 10 laps, it was good, but the extra 17 not so good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vale Rossi
When the tires start to slide, I ride a lot better, like entering the turn faster.

“When the rear started to slide, I remembered to ride the bike with more oversteering, releasing the brake 30, 40 meters before and making a lot of corner speed.

"When I had the new tire with extra grip, the rear pushed the front too much, and I was a lot in trouble. In the first half of the race, I was very slow. But the second half was not so bad. Now we have to understand why, because usually the problem is the opposite.

azkiwi screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 09:46 PM
Old 08-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #173
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,165
Close quarters all around.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:37 AM   #174
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,686
Quote:
Close quarters all around.

who is gonna take who out ?AB was motivated!
Old 08-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #175
flars
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Fox Sports 1 sucks. They had three minutes of commercials out of every 10-12 minutes of action. They put Varsha and Mamola in the middle of nowhere, tout the fact that they have the factory Ducati, and then ignore it completely in the warmup to the race. Russell and Shaheen didn't even make the effort to learn the rider's names ('Number 35 passes number 19'). they didn't give any background on the series (i.e. true prototypes versus turnip trucks, I mean CRT entries). Such a shame.
The race in general: Does fox have their own coverage sources and editors, or do they have to go off what they are fed by MotoGP? If they (motogp and Fux) wanted to sell MotoGP, they should have had SOME of the gyro camera stuff. When they did go with the on-bike cameras, they never stuck with it more than 2 or three seconds, unless it was just showing the bikes getting onto the long straight. Use the rearward facing cameras for crying out loud!
I was laughing my a** off with that pass by Hayden. He should get the award for "most innovative use of a teammate as a braking-marker-apex".
MM made it look easy.
flars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #176
jktpa
X-Troller

Oddometer: 770
Dorna (MotoGP) feed it was ironic that Randy put in a plug for MotoGP.com. Because of the lag for the hookup Fox's feed was before MotoGP's feed. the introduction by Despain was nice.
M696
ET4
jktpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #177
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 2,330
Quote:
It was probably an interesting debrief in the Yamaha garages with plenty of head scratching going on. George's bike started out fast and got slower and slower, Vale's started off slow and got faster and faster. Love to have been a fly on the wall for that.
Rossi has always gone well late-race on baked tires. His ride through the field was like Rossi of old (never really being a hole-shot king) however the big difference today is you cannot spot the guys at the front five seconds right off the bat (from the third row) when they are at least as fast as you.

That said, it's the Ducati garage I would have liked to be the fly on the wall for! I'm not sure the Hayden "punting" move will prove as popular there as with FOX commentators and US fans...considering the risks and the fact it let one more satellite team bike (Smith) ahead of the works Ducatis!
Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #178
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpermeister View Post
Rossi has always gone well late-race on baked tires. His ride through the field was like Rossi of old (never really being a hole-shot king) however the big difference today is you cannot spot the guys at the front five seconds right off the bat (from the third row) when they are at least as fast as you.

That said, it's the Ducati garage I would have liked to be the fly on the wall for! I'm not sure the Hayden "punting" move will prove as popular there as with FOX commentators and US fans...considering the risks and the fact it let one more satellite team bike (Smith) ahead of the works Ducatis!
No one at Ducati should be too surprised. Their two riders have been stuck at the back with only each other to race for 3+ years now. Plus, after getting dumped, Hayden had absolutely nothing to lose. It was still not a move I cheered. It was a pretty cheap shot from a guy that usually is full of class. He might have "owed" it to Dovi, but it was so poorly done that there was no payoff for NH doing it.

I'm much more fascinated at how Yamaha seems to be almost willfully letting themselves fall further and further behind Honda. And I think JL feels the same way. At some point, even a loyal guy like Lorenzo will get fed up. That's when the shit will hit the fan.
Dagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #179
sailor22
Jay Pegg pusher

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by flars View Post
Fox Sports 1 sucks. They had three minutes of commercials out of every 10-12 minutes of action. They put Varsha and Mamola in the middle of nowhere, tout the fact that they have the factory Ducati, and then ignore it completely in the warmup to the race. Russell and Shaheen didn't even make the effort to learn the rider's names ('Number 35 passes number 19'). they didn't give any background on the series (i.e. true prototypes versus turnip trucks, I mean CRT entries). Such a shame.
The race in general: Does fox have their own coverage sources and editors, or do they have to go off what they are fed by MotoGP? If they (motogp and Fux) wanted to sell MotoGP, they should have had SOME of the gyro camera stuff. When they did go with the on-bike cameras, they never stuck with it more than 2 or three seconds, unless it was just showing the bikes getting onto the long straight. Use the rearward facing cameras for crying out loud!
I was laughing my a** off with that pass by Hayden. He should get the award for "most innovative use of a teammate as a braking-marker-apex".
MM made it look easy.
The coverage on the MotoGP video pass feed was excellent as always. Can't believe I used to waste my time watching speed/fox coverage.
sailor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #180
Mr. Ray
Chemically Enhanced

Oddometer: 3,501
The race was awesome from trackside. I can see why people think Indy is boring on TV though. It's real flat and almost fake looking in some areas.

http://www.roadtofermentation.blogspot.com
Mr. Ray is offline   Reply With Quote