Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 04:28 AM   #196
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
Just like it was going to be "significantly different" in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, etc...
The difference is that they have (and will have) different people involved at every stage, with a different philosophy. When the same group of people try their hand at "significantly different" it usually ends up just being detail changes.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #197
mpower13
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
If Audi approaches MotoGP like they approach the 24 Hours of LeMans, you better believe the bike will get better. But will they?

And even still, Honda and Yamaha have such a massive head start it would still take Ducati years to ever sniff actually being in contention for the title. You absolutely do not design a bike that will compete with Honda and Yamaha, overnight.

All Ducati have right now is a massive poorly packaged motor that makes a ton of power.
mpower13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #198
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpermeister View Post
I'm not sure the Hayden "punting" move will prove as popular there (Ducati) as with FOX commentators and US fans...
Nationalism and rider preferences always effects perspective in these cases. I expect it wasn't as popular with the Italian TV commentators down the hall, and if the roles were reversed, to the FOX guys it would have been an "aggressive and dangerous move" that needs to be investigated! Not being a huge Dovi or Hayden fan, I'll chalk it up to a forcefull pass (with some history to it) that Bradley Smith certainly appreciated!

BTW, you have to love the way those tires hooked up again after jumping the curb, catching air and landing while leaned over.

roadholder screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 12:13 PM
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #199
ZLTFUL
Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer: 443
Just some teasers as I am still sorting through the over 7000 pictures I took.

Ducati in The Rockies 2014 RR
ZLTFUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #200
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
The difference is that they have (and will have) different people involved at every stage, with a different philosophy. When the same group of people try their hand at "significantly different" it usually ends up just being detail changes.
Are these the same people who wouldn't test at Austin because it wasn't worth "two tenths of a second." And then later in the season had a massive single day test with something like ten bikes and several riders which...uh...no one else does. Who are the people and what experience do they have?
Old 08-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #201
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Thanks for the photos, ZLTFUL.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #202
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
Are these the same people who wouldn't test at Austin because it wasn't worth "two tenths of a second." And then later in the season had a massive single day test with something like ten bikes and several riders which...uh...no one else does. Who are the people and what experience do they have?
It cost Yamaha 350,000 euros to test at Austin (Honda's costs came out of their marketing budget, and Red Bull chipped in a large chunk of that). Ducati's 'massive single day test' probably cost 20% of that, if that. Because it was held in Europe, and the logistical cost is much, much lower.

0.2 at Austin is nice, but it won't win you championships.

Also, Yamaha and Honda spend a lot of time testing with lots of different riders, it's just that you never get to hear of it because it's only in Japan, with Japanese riders. Honda's test program only became a lot more public after it became public that Stoner was testing for them. And Yamaha's testing program only became more public because we found out that Yamaha had been testing at the same time as Honda.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #203
EKIN
Just Do It

Oddometer: 546
One of my favorite pics from the weekend...first Red Bull & Vodka!

Old 08-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #204
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
It cost Yamaha 350,000 euros to test at Austin (Honda's costs came out of their marketing budget, and Red Bull chipped in a large chunk of that). Ducati's 'massive single day test' probably cost 20% of that, if that. Because it was held in Europe, and the logistical cost is much, much lower.

0.2 at Austin is nice, but it won't win you championships.

Also, Yamaha and Honda spend a lot of time testing with lots of different riders, it's just that you never get to hear of it because it's only in Japan, with Japanese riders. Honda's test program only became a lot more public after it became public that Stoner was testing for them. And Yamaha's testing program only became more public because we found out that Yamaha had been testing at the same time as Honda.
Why don't you tell me what they ate for dinner? That would be just as relevant to my post. We're not discussing testing procedures. We're discussing the "new management" at Ducati claiming all kinds of new effort is coming to the team but their actions don't show that. Having one huge test is ridiculous. Everyone else does a test, gains some knowledge and applies that to the next test. Having a a bunch of riders on a several bikes for one day is just odd and demonstrates a lack of direction.

As for Austin. No, a couple tenths at one track will not win Ducati a championship. They are a long way from competing for a championship. However, the teams that are capable of winning championships are doing those tests. I hear "new management is bringing resources and personal to Ducati's MotoGP effort." I see the team operating just as they have for the last two years. Comments and results from Dovisioso and Hayden don't show much difference either.

We've been hearing for a year that things will be different at Ducati. They did nothing in the offseaon have done little during this season.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #205
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,081
Ducati MotoGP Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post

I was lying in a burned out basement...
With a full moon in my eyes...
I was hoping for a replacement...
When the sun burst through the sky.

There was a band playing in my head,
And I felt like getting high.
I was thinking about what a friend had said;
I was hoping it was a lie.

-N Young; Goldrush
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #206
okiegtrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Seems like I have seen this photo somewhere before. good meeting you last week. Looks like you had a good time, I know I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car94 View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
okiegtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #207
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,337
Haven't waded through all the posts, but it looked like a small crowd @ Indy. Si or no?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #208
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I was lying in a burned out basement...
With a full moon in my eyes...
I was hoping for a replacement...
When the sun burst through the sky.

There was a band playing in my head,
And I felt like getting high.

-N Young; Goldrush
Old 08-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #209
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoVonHawkrider View Post
Haven't waded through all the posts, but it looked like a small crowd @ Indy. Si or no?

I was there. Indy always seems kind of sparse because the facility is soooo damn big, but with the troubles the Americans riders are having I suspect that has dampened enthusiasm among potential attendees.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #210
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoVonHawkrider View Post

Indy can seat something like 250,000 people, and even if a lot of the fans didn't get GA (like me) and run around in the infield all day, the 60,000ish that come out on race day wouldn't come close to filling the main grandstand.

If you want a scale of the place you can fit a couple Vatican Cities in the infield....and that is just the golfcourse, I doubt you would lose any track.

Its a BIG venue.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote