Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 02:39 AM   #16
novaboy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
We are underway, currently an hour out of Port aux Basques on the ferry. Got upgraded to a suite with a window view over the bow, and will be on the ship's bridge for docking. How cool is that.

Good ride yesterday, stopped at Kedgi's in Shediac for lunch. Dwight qnd Angele put on a some burgers for us, super big thank you and good to see you all again.

Pretty much boring slab ride all the way to North Sydney.

Newfoundland awaits.
https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #17
novaboy OP
Studly Adventurer

We are well underway, checkout the blog for all the details. With limited time, wifi and only an ipad, it's hard to update multiple sites.

So far it's been an amazing trip, met a lot of cool people and picked up a third team member, Oliver, a German fella on a BMW, now living in Toronto.

We are in Port Hope Simpson tonight, headed for the Goose tomorrow. The big day of 400km of gravel road. The 120 we did today was for the most part, pretty good. No, oh sh!t, oh f@$k moments. Tomorrow is a whole new day though.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #18
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Attaboy, or maybe attab'ys.
Site: dualsport.ca and rideatlantic.ca
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #19
novaboy OP
Studly Adventurer

Da b'ys made it to Goose today. She's a long ol' lonely road, only one or two oh s$&t, oh f&@k moments. Hard packed almost concrete like road conditions from Port Hope to the Cartwright turn off, then periods of the marbles crap, then a good 100km of loose slippery marbles. From the Kenamu River bridge in was good, with a lot of construction the last 20km. They are repairing the road bed.

Very dusty most of the day. Showers at the Kenamu, and mucky slippery stuff in places from there to the pavement.

Good day, took our time, 70-80kph most of the way. Much easier to ride the slippery stuff at speed than slower.

Chillin' in the Hotel North by the airport, going for beer soon.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #20
Newfiebullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaboy View Post
Da b'ys made it to Goose today. She's a long ol' lonely road, only one or two oh s$&t, oh f&@k moments. Hard packed almost concrete like road conditions from Port Hope to the Cartwright turn off, then periods of the marbles crap, then a good 100km of loose slippery marbles. From the Kenamu River bridge in was good, with a lot of construction the last 20km. They are repairing the road bed.

Very dusty most of the day. Showers at the Kenamu, and mucky slippery stuff in places from there to the pavement.

Good day, took our time, 70-80kph most of the way. Much easier to ride the slippery stuff at speed than slower.

Chillin' in the Hotel North by the airport, going for beer soon.
If I see you at Jungle Jims when I'm there for supper I'll say hi.
Newfiebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #21
novaboy OP
Studly Adventurer

We ate at Mariners in the Hotel North, too bad we missed ya. Jimmie gave us a tour of the Goose the next day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiebullet View Post
If I see you at Jungle Jims when I'm there for supper I'll say hi.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:02 AM   #22
novaboy OP
Studly Adventurer

THe Ride Report Two Days Before Departure

It's Friday, two days to go before the Rock becomes my home again, at least a temporary home. This week has been productive so far, as productive as the ultimate procrastinator can get.

The bike is ready to go, one final chain cleaning and lube and it is set. Procrastination again. Oil and filter have been changed, new skidplate has been installed, tightened up everything that needs tightening, and fixed my wobbly GPS mount.

I went through what tools I may need, assorted wrenches, allen keys,sockets, tire repair, air compressor, JB Weld, etc, and have it packed down low in the sidecases, and in a small tool tube under the seat.

I started packing clothes last night, don't really need a lot, gonna be in riding gear almost all the time, and you can get 3-4 days out of pair of underwear. As long as I ride up wind of Pete so I don't have to smell him we are good, don't want to be too clean, it just attracts bugs. Camping gear is minimal. No need for a lot of cooking supplies, really all we need is the ability to make coffee in the morning. No one is going anywhere without coffee in the morning.

Our new stickers came in this week. Thanks to Andrew at Signs Plus in Saint John.

The bikes and helmets have been decorated accordingly. If anyone wants one send me a note, just pay for the postage and it's yours. Let's say a loonie for anywhere in North America. For you non-Canucks, that's a dollar.

My new car finally showed up this week, only took two weeks. The delay was no fault of Saint John Volkswagen, it was the shipping company, and according to the sales manager it's the last time they are using them.

If you are looking to buy a VW in the Saint John area go see Colleen Quigg, she was awesome to deal with. It's our second VW we bought from her. She's not pushy, knows her stuff, and goes out of her way to keep the customer happy.

So I am now officially a station wagon driving soccer dad. For $30K out the door the Golf is a hell of nice driving, well appointed car.

Yesterday, I met with Zak Kurylyk from Canada Moto Guide.com, a online motorcycle magazine, based out of all places New Brunswick. Zak is the assistant editor. Pete and I have met with him before after trading a bunch of emails.

Zak had done a documentary film making seminar at the Overland Expo with Austin Vince of "Mondo Enduro" fame, so he passed along some tips that he remembered from being there. Let's face it, without Hemmings being by our side, we need all the help we can get. I'll also be sending along daily updates and short videos where possible to Zak, to hopefully be posted on CMG.

Anyway it's 0545 on Friday morning, been awake since 0450. Can't sleep. I am either really excited to go to work for the last day, or it's the upcoming adventure keeping me up. I'll take door number 2 Johnny.

Never friggin' fails, the day before you start vacation you end up flying all day, looks like a 13hr day today, and will most likely be the last airplane home tonight. If I was on call this weekend, my week would have most likely finished on Wednesday.

SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY, BIG departure after the the BIG family brunch, on the BIG adventure for the BIG LAND.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:09 AM   #23
novaboy OP
Studly Adventurer

The Long Haul to North Sydney and Arrival Back in the Motherland

I woke up very early this morning for a brief moment. It was still dark out and a slight rolling motion of my bed quickly put me back to sleep until the sun started to break over the horizon, and begin to lighten up my room. Out through the cabin window I was starting to get my first glimpse of Newfoundland on the horizon. It was the start of day two, or when the real fun began.

Monday was the grand kickoff, and turned into a crazy morning. It was kind of surreal that we were leaving, adding to that, the neighbours were beginning to show up in my yard to send us off. Did I say it was hot, ya it was hot, JC, I was sweating my bag off in all my Olympia riding gear trying to pack everything on the bike. Kim and the kids were milling around, then Pete and his family showed up, with their dogs, plus our dog and the neighbours dog, it was pandemoneum.

Then Hemmings shows up for the 15 minute videography course, which was quite useful, and I did learn a lot. Thanks Greg. He starts filming our good byes and final preparations, kiss the wife and kids, pat the dog on the head and we are off...........to the gas station around the corner. Meanwhile in my helmet I was going through some conflicting emotions, miss my family, or be happy for the trip. Shit.

We did eventually make it to North Sydney. It was a long boring day on the highway, or slab as we like to call it. The weather was incredible, warm sunny with light winds, perfect riding conditions.

Along the way we stopped in Shediac to see our friend Dwight aka Kedgi on AdvRider, and his lovely wife Angele. They cooked us up some hamburgers on the BBQ, filled our belly's and quickly sent us on our way since we were racing the setting sun.

The sun won, we rode the last half an hour into North Sydney in the dark. All our senses alert for the nocturnal creatures of the night, especially the moose. Thankfully the Vstrom has a set of headlights that light up the night, and they guided us to the ferry uneventfully.

Remember the picture in the previous blog posting of me getting my new VW? Well Colleen, my most awesome VW sales person has a brother-in-law who is the chief engineer on the ferry we are taking to Newfoundland. Pete and I are sitting in the bar of the boat, enjoying a Black Horse and low and behold my name echos over the PA, "Terry Burt please report to reception"

Colleen called her brother-in-law and told him to treat us like rock stars, and he did. Chief Engineer of Blue Putees, Mark Lewis, took us on a tour of the bridge, and upgraded me to an outside room with a queen sized bed. Plus he arranged for us to be allowed on the bridge the following morning while docking. Awesome or what? The dumbass that I am, I never even got a picture of Mark, or interviewed him. Some videography I'm shaping up to be. Shit again.

So after a late night bowl of chili and a couple more Black Horse, we retired to our cabins for a good nights sleep. Tomorrow the homeland.

Early morning on the bridge

Port Aux Basques on a beautiful morning

Finally home!
Old 09-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #24
Bear Creek West
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Great Blog!

Really enjoyed your blog - definately looking forward to the video series - when is the release date?
Bear Creek West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #25
novaboy OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Creek West View Post
Really enjoyed your blog - definately looking forward to the video series - when is the release date?
Thanks, appreciate it, I just spent 3 hrs this morning going thru video of the first 3 days and put it in order.

http://youtu.be/AfRMbH3VVVQ
Here's a teaser vid of the first day, I'll get another one done next week.

I'm guessing 2 -3 months before the official web series is released.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:04 AM   #26
novaboy OP
Studly Adventurer

http://youtu.be/7vUMaJZ4w7I

New vid of the whole trip.