ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
btao OP
RIP Lilolita

Oddometer: 1,009
Thumb Meet Earl... The Next Gen GPS?

With Earl's production hopefully happening this month, my hopes are high that it's everyone's everything, including my own...

www.meetearl.com

Read up before posting: "What the heck is Earl?!?"

With no real threads started, let's kick this one off for general discussion around how to utilize the GPS and location services of said device to be applied to Adventure Riding.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

It, like everything is a compromise. Not much, really, but still. I wanted to replace a Garmin/GPS/Nav, Spot, MP3 player,and any other backcountry gadgets. It doesn't have a camera, but not a big deal as I hope to add a GoPro. It doesn't have a color screen, but has a highly efficient e-ink screen that can be read in direct sunlight on top of a motorcycle handlebar. It's a portable weather station, solar charger and emergency/2-way radio to boot. Oh yea, it's also a full fledged Android tablet with bluetooth, water/mud proof and lifetime warranty.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

My plan is to use any variety of GPX creator on a PC to create/edit/manage routes and use OSMAnd to import, route and navigate since they are the only ones I've found that forces the Nav to follow the GPX route without optimization. It also has a motorcycle routing feature I've yet to play with if you just want to go from say, Boise to Bangor.

It's free, uses vector maps and should work real nice on a tablet, as long as the gray scale is easy to follow.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone looked at this as their next option? What are the communities feedback on how the Android options for GPS services compare? Any open source/android mapping tools to create GPX files that easily identify dirt roads? Any experience to share with e-ink tablets? Any general tablet experience with android GPS apps?

Chime in! Ask a question, provide some feedback!....
Old 08-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 637
I will forgo the 15% pre order discount and let others Be My Beta testers

I hope it is a decent unit
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,970
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
btao OP
RIP Lilolita

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEmann View Post
I will forgo the 15% pre order discount and let others Be My Beta testers

I hope it is a decent unit
The 15% also extends to any future purchases/accessories or upgrades.

Sounds like they are going to work with the Beta testers/initial backers on upgrading any units as available. Details are fuzzy. But, they are going to be adding a low temp screen and possibly a color e-ink screen...
Old 08-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
The market soon will be flooded with rugged tablets by the current makers with the $$$$ (apple, samsung, asus, sony, etc). Some makers will be making tablets to mil specs.

I'd have to give much consideration to investing in a tablet start-up at this stage.
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
CallMeBoog
hi functioning idiom

Oddometer: 5,944
There are threads about this tablet, you just didn't look very hard.

My 0.02 -

At the end of the day this thing is huge. almost ipad huge - and that's not going to be attached to a handlebar while blasting through some single track, or even meandering down the highway - it's too big to be practical.

It alludes to be able to do the same things that a SPOT does, but if you dig deeper the only way to call for help is to use the 2-way radio function...not gonna cut it where I am, and I wouldn't consider it unless it had some sort of cellular hardware, or satellite comm hardware like a SPOT.

to me, it's not a GPS, but like they say, it's a 'backcountry tablet'. It's a ruggedized android tablet with a few extras like a windspeed sensor, and the radio function. I have an android tablet that will do most everything this will do with free apps.

I'm actually in the market for a GPS right now, and looked at this thing quite seriously. I'm going with a Garmin handheld, as I think it's going to be more practical mounted on a handlebar.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:11 AM   #7
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenBooger View Post
In equipment and LDT

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenBooger View Post

My 0.02 -

At the end of the day this thing is huge. almost ipad huge - and that's not going to be attached to a handlebar while blasting through some single track, or even meandering down the highway - it's too big to be practical.

It alludes to be able to do the same things that a SPOT does, but if you dig deeper the only way to call for help is to use the 2-way radio function...not gonna cut it where I am, and I wouldn't consider it unless it had some sort of cellular hardware, or satellite comm hardware like a SPOT.

to me, it's not a GPS, but like they say, it's a 'backcountry tablet'. It's a ruggedized android tablet with a few extras like a windspeed sensor, and the radio function. I have an android tablet that will do most everything this will do with free apps.

I'm actually in the market for a GPS right now, and looked at this thing quite seriously. I'm going with a Garmin handheld, as I think it's going to be more practical mounted on a handlebar.
I reviewed the information available in the "meet earl" site. It is quite interesting. I do see how this type of tablet may be the way to go eventually for routing and tracking. Garmin sees it that way as well, as shown by the Monterra, also an android based tablet.

I do like the larger size of the Earl tablet, similar to the size of the info display on rally bikes. I can see it being setup high above the bike's dash and behind the windscreen (on bikes with windscreen).

I see similarities between this and the Monterra. But Earl appears to be more comprehensive. Looking forward to the beta testers take on it. I'm a candidate for something like this in the future.

I think the Monterra and the Earl are the future of navigation tools. The "GPS" as we know it will eventually become obsolete.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #9
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
I reviewed the information available in the "meet earl" site. It is quite interesting. I do see how this type of tablet may be the way to go eventually for routing and tracking. Garmin sees it that way as well, as shown by the Monterra, also an android based tablet.

I do like the larger size of the Earl tablet, similar to the size of the info display on rally bikes. I can see it being setup high above the bike's dash and behind the windscreen (on bikes with windscreen).

I see similarities between this and the Monterra. But Earl appears to be more comprehensive. Looking forward to the beta testers take on it. I'm a candidate for something like this in the future.

I think the Monterra and the Earl are the future of navigation tools. The "GPS" as we know it will eventually become obsolete.
Yeah, if Garmin would released the Monterra with Inmarsat Satellite Two-way Text Messaging x-ceviers I'd be very happy. That combo would be a very powerful Adventure device.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:36 AM   #10
btao OP
RIP Lilolita

I was reading up on the SAR aspects of Earl. Without satellite comm, and using the long distance 2-way capability, there's really few places that I would ever be that didn't have any emergency/fire/rescue/etc within that 20+mi distance as the crow flies. As you get farther away from civilization, those communications are even more readily used and relied upon because cell service is non-existant. The two way text is limited, but useful on the Spot, and there's been some mixed feedback on the instantaneousness of the SOS feature of Spot.

The recent addition of an external antenna port expands this immensely. I think that was directly in response to this very question. If they added HAM then that would seal the deal as there's tons of public repeaters out there. Some for GMRS, but not all public. Still, a gas station is much more difficult to find in most places. If you get a nice long roll up antenna for heading out to the backcountry, then you should be good for extended range communications.

I have hotspot and tethering on my phone, so anywhere there is service as you travel, you can transmit non-emergency data and communications via that route as well. I can even keep my phone charged up with Earl! Cool.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:51 AM   #11
btao OP
RIP Lilolita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post

That's precisely my feeling on this. Having an Android tablet vs. and Android based tablet lends itself better to the expanding tech and software upgrades in the future, as far as I can see...

They say you might be able to side-load on the Monterra, but we'll see how locked down it gets.

Still, $699 for only the 100k maps is crazy expensive. They could at least have thrown some gorilla glass on there.

I can get an Earl, with a sweet GoPro camera .... for less than a Monterra.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:32 AM   #12
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
That's precisely my feeling on this. Having an Android tablet vs. and Android based tablet lends itself better to the expanding tech and software upgrades in the future, as far as I can see...

They say you might be able to side-load on the Monterra, but we'll see how locked down it gets.

Still, $699 for only the 100k maps is crazy expensive. They could at least have thrown some gorilla glass on there.

I can get an Earl, with a sweet GoPro camera .... for less than a Monterra.

The advantage of moving towards a weather proof and shock resistant case with an interactive display based on an open platform (a communications machine and an operating system) is that from there, the sky is the limit. Literally.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #13
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,506
there are ruggedized phones with (oruxmaps, osmand, google maps, dualsportmaps, backcountrynavigator, sygic, etc) more options and already in your pocket ...

I don't see the point of this really, with lower specs fewer options, and a way too high price.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #14
btao OP
RIP Lilolita

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
there are ruggedized phones with (oruxmaps, osmand, google maps, dualsportmaps, backcountrynavigator, sygic, etc) more options and already in your pocket ...

I don't see the point of this really, with lower specs fewer options, and a way too high price.
No, not really. None that are any good anyway, and still function as a quality smart phone. I would, and many here would probably have one. The S4 Active is the only one that I'd buy that's waterproof, but that's not out yet or for Verizon, yet. Plus, you'll deal with the upgrade/subsidized nonsense if you just got another phone recently.

I don't want one with a case, and I don't like iPhones which incipio makes a nice waterproof case for (and costs $100) While Otterboxes work, they are are obscene and huge. It's the largest band-aid available for solving the environmental abuse problem

Also, don't forget this is a small tablet, not a pocketable phone, and derived from and designed for a different purpose...

Can you elaborate on "with lower specs fewer options, and a way too high price."? I would argue the complete opposite... This has virtually everything you could want in a "backcountry tablet" and for less than half the price of a Garmin Monterra....
Old 08-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #15
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,207
A lot of us don't WANT back country tablets. We just want a normal sized GPS.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote