ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #46
btao OP
Pwned

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
Yeah, sorry, just very frustrated. Just that I read every tweet in that log and they said over and over that an update was coming soon. Probably exactly what I would write if I were scamming. I've seen other threads re Earl and the FCC approval process from those that know, and they predict 4-6 week wait, given the radio transmitters, etc.

"update coming soon"
I'm right there with ya on the frustration. I wouldn't care if it was released next year as long as I knew what was going on with my $$$ that I "invested."

I've submitted quite a few products in my time as well, and 1:10 it passes the first try.... Nobody knows the details though. It's probably as frustrating for them as it is for us.... doubt aside...
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #47
btao OP
Pwned

Update!

Well, good news and bad news i guess. Still going to have to wait, a lot....

-------------------

August 26th, 2013 LONG OVERDUE, BUT STILL ON TRACK I would like to personally apologize to each of you for the lack of communication. There is no excuse for our silence and we can only hope to reestablish your trust through an improved system of interaction from here on out. When I decided to dedicate myself to this project over two years ago, I knew there would be challenges and difficulties. I surrounded myself with good people and worked tirelessly to get the crowdfunding off the ground. With so much momentum and support, we were eager to get into final development and production. Unfortunately, we underestimated the resources required for social media relations following our campaign. This was a mistake on our part. The overwhelming volume of support and suggestions was tremendous and helpful, but we didnt have the resources to address every comment. And once personal threats, allegations of fraud and claims of misuse of funds started rolling in, we had to step back and reevaluate the best way to move forward. Granted, a lot of this could have been avoided with more frequent and consistent communication; this is obvious now. To put it simply, we were overwhelmed and handled the situation incorrectly. We sincerely apologize and pledge to improve the dialogue with those willing to be patient with us. We hope you will give us an opportunity to earn your support again. To address the recent issues with our website and forum, we want to assure all of you that we have never deleted any comments on our page or forum and have never had any intentions of going offline. Though it may not seem like it, we are listening to your feedback and it's an invaluable resource for our development process. Your voices have been heard, and we want to turn a fresh page with the community. We've been trying to get the old forum back up since it went down. It's still intact, with each and every comment, but for some reason is failing our servers diagnostics checks. If we can't get it back up in the next couple days, we'll launch another one temporarily. Either way, we give our word to be more active in the forum and give you proper regular updates. As we mentioned in our last update, we have enlisted an engineering firm in Guangzhou, China to produce Earl. While they currently manufacture devices that run on Android 4.0 and the i.MX6 platform, Earl is a unique tablet that requires extensive engineering to include the additional sensors and radios. With so many components, placement is key and RF interference is a major obstacle. Fortunately, our new partners have a dedicated RF team to make sure we address each issue before sending Earl off to be certified. We are trying to create a device that is unprecedented and they have stepped up to the task. However, this process is going to take more time than we anticipated. At this time, we estimate that manufacturing will start around the beginning of January. I'll be living in Shenzhen for the duration of development so I can be close to our engineers and approve/test each revision of Earl. This will shave off a couple of revisions and save time, but we want to make sure every component in Earl meets our requirements. Again, we know this is last thing you all want to hear. But Earl WILL be worth the wait! The following chart is our development timeline for the next six months. We're well on our way to getting Earl into production. As you can see, the next six months are going to be packed with development. From Hardware to Software, each stage has its own requirements to proceed. This project has been the most challenging and ambitious endeavor I've taken on. I hope you'll continue to stick with us as we create a truly unique product. We cannot do this without you and we won't forget that. Thank you for your patience and support.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #48
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
1) no update on their site for over a month, despite many requests for same
2) forum went down days ago with no explanation
3) no answer to any of the posted questions, including how to get refund
4) no answer to direct email
5) website down

Perhaps they are very busy developing the product, as several forum posts preferred that the Earl guys "spend their time on the product, not wasting it on posting updates." huh?

I'm wondering if that preference was posted by the Earl guys, from their vacation spot?

In any case, who wants to do business with such shoddy customer service this early in the lifecycle? An intern could have been hired to tweet updates for the cost of a burger a day.

I had my cc co. reverse the charge yesterday. I gave up on trying to actually Meet Earl.

Good call... Hope everyone can get their money back.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:46 PM   #49
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,439
first sign of major problems is a cutoff of communications. loss of trust is very hard to regain ... hope they finish this project.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:24 AM   #50
moto_dmitriy
que?

Oddometer: 73
I can anyone is searching for an E Ink solution is the interim I think I found one.

Nook Simple touch can be hacked to run android & an external GPS dongle can be connected!

http://tophatsoaring.wikispaces.com/...k+Simple+Touch
Their software is REALLY trick & I pray one day our road books can look that good!

Also here is a thread on all the cabling etc.... http://tophat.freeforums.org/cabling-for-nook-t4.html

So it looks like for around $150 one can have a REALLY sweet NAV.
moto_dmitriy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:11 AM   #51
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by their website
Unfortunately, we underestimated the resources required for social media relations following our campaign. This was a mistake on our part. The overwhelming volume of support and suggestions was tremendous and helpful, but we didnt have the resources to address every comment. And once personal threats, allegations of fraud and claims of misuse of funds started rolling in, we had to step back and reevaluate the best way to move forward.
Quote:
As we mentioned in our last update, we have enlisted an engineering firm in Guangzhou, China to produce Earl. While they currently manufacture devices that run on Android 4.0 and the i.MX6 platform, Earl is a unique tablet that requires extensive engineering to include the additional sensors and radios. With so many components, placement is key and RF interference is a major obstacle. Fortunately, our new partners have a dedicated RF team to make sure we address each issue before sending Earl off to be certified. We are trying to create a device that is unprecedented and they have stepped up to the task. However, this process is going to take more time than we anticipated. At this time, we estimate that manufacturing will start around the beginning of January.
Guess we'll check on Feb 1 and see if it is in production then.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:38 AM   #52
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,439
in two years time one can burn through $500k like nothing for a project of this scope. crowd funding is one thing with folks jumping on board knowing the risks involved.

but taking pre-payments on a product that doesn't exist yet is a sure recipe for a disaster. folks that put $$ down on good faith are expecting a final product to be delivered at a certain date. they are not expecting to take any risk.

if/when things go wrong .. on the project of this complexity. if things didn't go wrong, something would be wrong ...

it's the folks who pre-paid that will scream bloody murder first. followed by a demand for their $$ back immediately. which probably will not be forthcoming since the funds probably has already been spent.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:03 AM   #53
btao OP
Pwned

Other than the let down on getting it this summer in time for fall fun, the one thing I'm worried about is that a lot can happen in the interim, and what if something else gets released that obsoletes it, or is direct competition backed by a bigger company with the resources for supporting it. My biggest fear with Earl is future support. Which, I'm sure they will stand by, but with such a small team, if it's not right the first time, they will go under trying to support it.

I threw my $$ in as I feel it's purpose matches my needs, and there is nothing else that really replaces it short of the Monterra for X tiimes the cost.

We'll see what happens in the next few weeks. If they start providing reliable updates and show progress, then I'll stick around. If it looks poor or lacking, I'm out and will get one when they are for sale retail.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:05 AM   #54
btao OP
Pwned

To add, since they were so close to production, I thought they were a lot closer than their timeline shows. I more or less wanted to preorder for the discount with reasonably high confidence that it would be within a month or two of the release date.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:10 AM   #55
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto_dmitriy View Post
I can anyone is searching for an E Ink solution is the interim I think I found one.

Nook Simple touch can be hacked to run android & an external GPS dongle can be connected!

http://tophatsoaring.wikispaces.com/...k+Simple+Touch
Their software is REALLY trick & I pray one day our road books can look that good!

Also here is a thread on all the cabling etc.... http://tophat.freeforums.org/cabling-for-nook-t4.html

So it looks like for around $150 one can have a REALLY sweet NAV.
that looks neato

I picked up a "hisense sero 7 pro" from the walmarts yesterday. quad core tegra cpu doesn't choke on -any- task, 1gb of ram, microsd slot (up to 32gb), hdmi out (for movies on the big screen, or work, or whatever), bluetooth 3.0, wireless n/b/g, regular microusb charging and file transfer, big bright display, 4000 maH battery, and stock (no skins, no bloat) android 4.2.1 out of the box.

this tablet beats the nexus 7 (new model) in performance and options, including a front and rear facing camera, NFC tagging, and other niceties:

I loaded bcnavigator, dualsportmaps, googlemaps, geocaching, waze, my favorite mapping (oruxmaps beta), along with my favorite navigation (osmand+ with 6 states full of maps and topo lines/hillshading) and twenty of so games for the kids, 10 movies for the road, 5 gb of music, and updated the software over wifi, in an hour.

when I smash it on a rock, ill remove the microsd card (with full system images, of todays device) and pop it in the next one.

like $139 out the door. no contract, no strings, no maps to buy, no special software required for anything.

oh, and I didn't have to "trust" anyone either.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:42 AM   #56
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
that looks neato

I picked up a "hisense sero 7 pro" from the walmarts yesterday. quad core tegra cpu doesn't choke on -any- task, 1gb of ram, microsd slot (up to 32gb), hdmi out (for movies on the big screen, or work, or whatever), bluetooth 3.0, wireless n/b/g, regular microusb charging and file transfer, big bright display, 4000 maH battery, and stock (no skins, no bloat) android 4.2.1 out of the box.

this tablet beats the nexus 7 (new model) in performance and options, including a front and rear facing camera, NFC tagging, and other niceties:

I loaded bcnavigator, dualsportmaps, googlemaps, geocaching, waze, my favorite mapping (oruxmaps beta), along with my favorite navigation (osmand+ with 6 states full of maps and topo lines/hillshading) and twenty of so games for the kids, 10 movies for the road, 5 gb of music, and updated the software over wifi, in an hour.

when I smash it on a rock, ill remove the microsd card (with full system images, of todays device) and pop it in the next one.

like $139 out the door. no contract, no strings, no maps to buy, no special software required for anything.

Hi looks real good for the price , just wandering how does the screen look in sunlight ? can you copmpare it to a Garmin or someting (possible with pics ), this is a major concern for me as the biggest drawback to me is the ability to see in direct sunlight
webmonstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:47 AM   #57
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmonstro View Post
Hi looks real good for the price , just wandering how does the screen look in sunlight ? can you copmpare it to a Garmin or someting (possible with pics ), this is a major concern for me as the biggest drawback to me is the ability to see in direct sunlight
haven't had it outside yet, id imagine with its glossy screen it won't be great... ill take pics this afternoon when I get home.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:00 AM   #58
btao OP
Pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
that looks neato

Too bad it doesn't have a GPS antenna

It's not listed anywhere in the specs on Hisense's website... ut oh...
Old 08-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #59
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
Too bad it doesn't have a GPS antenna

It's not listed anywhere in the specs on Hisense's website... ut oh...
Hmm?

I'm waiting for CC to get his remote (with GPS chipset) out for DSM, then most any tablet can be fed from the phone and charged by the bike's battery. Check out his vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiWlCVZFWnM

He has delayed production because he thinks it is too pricey now.
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #60
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
Well, good news and bad news i guess. Still going to have to wait, a lot....

-------------------
We've been trying to get the old forum back up since it went down. If we can't get it back up in the next couple days, we'll launch another one temporarily. Either way, we give our word to be more active in the forum and give you proper regular updates. We cannot do this without you and we won't forget that. Thank you for your patience and support.
Uh, how many days in a couple of days? OK, four days is only two more than a couple, but anyone care to bet when the old forum will be back up, or a new one like they "promised" above? I saw a free offer tweeted to help get it back up by someone with experience, but no response. (there is a user-supported mini-fourm at some sandbox site)

Good points/questions BTW about the likelihood of their current funding taking them through their new updated timeline. And if one or more big boys come out with something similiar with color e-ink, game over.

I'd like to root for the little guy (again), but he has to walk his talk.
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote