Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 02:59 AM   #16
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goti View Post
I second that.
The same guy who never rode off road according to him, recommending the standard 1190 Adv cause "it's bloddy good offroad" and the R is too hardcore...this guy knows why woody's 21-18 are bad idea. He got it, we don't
I make a comment like that because even the 1190 standard is a lot better then bmw GS LC. It gives a lot confidence I added ! People like me didn't ride as much offroad will have a lot confidence with standard I said.
However if you understand it like that it means there is something wrong with you I am afraid . I didn't comment 21,18 inch is good or bad idea I said why the fuck would you do that ?
Old 08-13-2013, 03:05 AM   #17
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
Because they bend and leave you stranded. That's why!

Some people ride harder offroad then others and need to upgrade allot of stuff on their bike to keep it in good and safe running condition. SO the topic or suggestion is not shit. The only shit in this topic is your wiseass comments.

Why do you need to know how to ride offroad?
Because in your first comment you where an asshat and acted like you knew it all. And the OP was crazy for replacing his wheels on his 2013 bike! Thus im calling you out on your self-proclaimed knowledge. Wich obviously, is none existent.

1190 990 950 is not the bike to go offroad? They are marketed as the best offroad adventure bike. Is it a motocrossbike? Is it perfect? Hell no! That's why people alter the machine to make it better offroad. Nothing more fun then trashing a bigass bike trough rough terrain, that's why we bloody love to ride the KTM adventures! If the material can't keep up then it has to be replaced by better stuff, that's why the OP wants the woodys over the stockers.

Speak your opinion in a decent manner or be even smarter and just keep quite!

Now show that steed some sand and rocks. But don't forget to bring tubes and irons.
2013 ktm 1190 adventure R

The new 1190 Adventure R is the only choice for all those who want to make no compromises at all when offroad with a travel enduro. Larger wheels - 21-inch at the front, 18-inch at the rear - a whole 220 millimetres of suspension travel front and back, along with a fully adjustable chassis, optimise its offroad ability. If desired, the 21-inch (front) and 18-inch (rear) wheels can be fitted with deep-tread knobbly tyres, thereby extending the field of use dramatically. Desert perhaps? No problem!
The following features distinguish the 1190 Adventure R:
Wider aluminium handlebar with "ball-burnished" finish
Seat height not adjustable, but single-piece/full-length for offroad use
Longer suspension travel for improved offroad ability
21" and 18" wheel diameters for improved offroad ability
Standard tyres (90/90 ZR (260) 21 and 150/70 ZR (260) 18)
Old 08-13-2013, 03:07 AM   #18
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Also In this forum there is a guy traveling around the world with 1190 adventure R , may be its ideal to check what he has to say about this ! Anyway just waste of time for me and this is my opinion !
Old 08-13-2013, 03:09 AM   #19
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,172
Quote:
This does not guarantee the quality of the wheels, it just points out the advantages it has over the std model.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:10 AM   #20
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancakar View Post
2013 ktm 1190 adventure R

The new 1190 Adventure R is the only choice for all those who want to make no compromises at all when offroad with a travel enduro. Larger wheels - 21-inch at the front, 18-inch at the rear - a whole 220 millimetres of suspension travel front and back, along with a fully adjustable chassis, optimise its offroad ability. If desired, the 21-inch (front) and 18-inch (rear) wheels can be fitted with deep-tread knobbly tyres, thereby extending the field of use dramatically. Desert perhaps? No problem!
The following features distinguish the 1190 Adventure R:
Wider aluminium handlebar with "ball-burnished" finish
Seat height not adjustable, but single-piece/full-length for offroad use
Longer suspension travel for improved offroad ability
Standard tyres (90/90 ZR (260) 21 and 150/70 ZR (260) 18)
And? What point are you trying to make? It's well known the old adv has the same weakness in wheels the new one also has. They are to soft and bend when you go a bit to rough on them.
To overcome that issue the OP wants to replace them ,BEFORE they bend, with the woody's setup.

I don't know how i can express it more clearly. It's not like KTM is gonna add the fact that they can bend when they have to handle very rough terrain....

The bike ain't perfect, deal with it! (not even a KTM is perfect, and im a KTM nutter. I pee, shit and bleed orange)

Quote:
Also In this forum there is a guy traveling around the world with 1190 adventure R , may be its ideal to check what he has to say about this ! Anyway just waste of time for me and this is my opinion !
Does he batter the crap out of it on hard and rocky terrain? Or is he just traveling around the world...
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Old 08-13-2013, 03:35 AM   #21
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,535
Quote:
The well known Austrian guy (forget his name) who travels around on 1190R has put 950SE rims WITH TUBES on his bike
Old 08-13-2013, 03:48 AM   #22
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
The well known Austrian guy (forget his name) who travels around on 1190R has put 950SE rims WITH TUBES on his bike
Yeah the guy is Australian I didn't read that he put tubes on his bike I heard he only put on front tire after the wheel bend.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:10 AM   #23
Yascher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Yeah the guy is Australian I didn't read that he put tubes on his bike I heard he only put on front tire after the wheel bend.
why don't you just shut up (cause you don't have anything usefull to say here so far) and take your bike and ride more....probably this will put thing in to place and topics like this will make more sense to you, at least I hope so)))
Old 08-13-2013, 05:13 AM   #24
Martynho
ChileGringo

Oddometer: 391
Give the lad a break fellas

Hey now c'mon fellas, the tone is degenerating a bit here. Please give Tancakar a break, there is not a lot of offroading between the Mayfair and Knightsbridge areas of London.

He may not be the expert on big bike offroading but if I was wanting some hair colouring for 230/$350 a pop he'd be my go-to guy

http://tancakarcolour.wordpress.com/

Martynho screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 05:49 AM
Old 08-13-2013, 05:42 AM   #25
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martynho View Post
Hey now c'mon fellas, the tone is degenerating a bit here. Please give Tankacar a break, there is not a lot of offroading between the Mayfair and Knightsbridge areas of London.

He may not be the expert on big bike offroading but if I was wanting some hair colouring for 230/$350 a pop he'd be my go-to guy

http://tancakarcolour.wordpress.com/
:)
Old 08-13-2013, 05:55 AM   #26
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yascher View Post
why don't you just shut up (cause you don't have anything usefull to say here so far) and take your bike and ride more....probably this will put thing in to place and topics like this will make more sense to you, at least I hope so)))

I ride 15.000 miles a year all season. My bike cost me 14100, so I think I do have the right to comment to anything in this forum just because I am a all season motorbike rider and I have a Ktm adventure. I don't even have a car licence I ride motorcycles nearly 15 years. Yes I didn't ride offroad as much but it doesn't mean I don't know a fuck about it. So what I want to say is why can't I comment on something I don't agree and have to shut up ?
Old 08-13-2013, 06:09 AM   #27
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPiA View Post
This does not guarantee the quality of the wheels, it just points out the advantages it has over the std model.
Of course it doesn't guarantee quality depending on the offroad you can still bend the woodsy too. Ktm put lighter wheels on both bikes so they have got better high speed or cornering stability.

I have ridden a carbon wheel sports bike and the cornering is fantastic and also it turns very quick. So may be there is a reason behind it.

Well mind you human being just moans a lot even ktm put bloody steel wheels if they can ,people still moan.

He should go pay 1000 each and buy new wheels I don't care.

Tancakar screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 06:14 AM
Old 08-13-2013, 06:18 AM   #28
RadoR6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Now if you open a topic saying that you want to install near over 10 years old wheels to your 2013 abs bike I really laught at you no matter what.
I would understand if you say you like to buy woody wheels what ever reason.

Who told you or where is it written that his woodys' wheels are ten years old? Tha bike is 2004 950. They might have been done by woody only a year or two ago.Then it would make a sense, would 't it?
Old 08-13-2013, 06:20 AM   #29
chancer53
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
I ride 15.000 miles a year all season. My bike cost me 14100, so I think I do have the right to comment to anything in this forum just because I am a all season motorbike rider and I have a Ktm adventure. I don't even have a car licence I ride motorcycles nearly 15 years. Yes I didn't ride offroad as much but it doesn't mean I don't know a fuck about it. So what I want to say is why can't I comment on something I don't agree and have to shut up ?
It's not that you can't comment, you just have no idea what you are talking about besides the wheels are old.

Go for a ride, find your happier place
Old 08-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #30
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,142
Tancakar, why don't you just take a deep breath, relax, and read this whole thread again. And a few other threads where you were stating facts that are not true or you have no idea about them, like suggesting to a guy that rides his R hard that he should loose some weight cause he bottoms out the forks. Not knowing is fine, we all do, that's why we ask. But usually when someone has no idea about what people are talking about it's better to just shut up, as you should, so you learn and leave the guys who know to answer the question. The OP would appreciate that too since he was looking for an answer, not for your "why the fuck" comments.

Rims get dented. 9X0 rims are soft and they get dented, I still have to see ONE 950/990 without a front dented rim if it was ridden hard off road. 1190 rims are even softer and people who rides hard are realizing about this, here in Chile the same guy who was able to ride hard his 990 off road with OEM -and dented- wheels for years dented both 1190 rims, he had to put tubes on them. Should be scary as hell suddenly loosing the air pressure at speed, isn't it?
I won't even talk about pressures when riding off road, you look for that info and try to figure things out.

From another forum. This happened

When he was riding here:

His comments:
It wasnt a ROCK. It was on a nice gravel highway. Some of the rocks are in the road, half underground, other half sticking out. Nice and round of the years of riding over them. So I come over the rise, see the stone/rock, try to miss it but dont do much effort cause I know it wont do anything to the bike. I was on 160kph. So the front clips the stone/rock/boulder wtf ever and I hardly feel any impact on steering.

Next moment, still at 160, the front wheel goes INSTANTLY FLAT!! FFS!!!! First time ever this happened to me.
Bike pulls left, you turn right, fuckall happens!! It runs where it wants to!! So I locked up rear brake, and try my best to keep the front end on the gravel as far as I can. Eventually stopped in the veld next to the fence

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Closed Thread