ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #1
wizze OP
Wizze = Wise

Oddometer: 900
northwet??

Wife and I are taking a HUGE leap and heading for greener coasts in the seattle Tacoma up to Bellingham area to look for work and shelter. Where are the run for your lives type places? We'll have a few kids (bikes) that we need to make accomodations for. Also looking for work. She is medical x ray and cat scan tech. I do pharmaceutical manufacturing and industrial maintenance.

Any points, tips or tricks would be appreciated Thanks!
2005 BMW R1200RT
Is that it?
wizze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,427
Bellingham has a booming medical community.
Lots of old people and Canadians.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:52 AM   #3
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom View Post
+5
St Joseph's Hospital and any related medical buildings is practically a gold mine.
Mom and sister both work in that field as well
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
caslaw
Pig Wrestler

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom View Post
And lots of pharmaceutical manufacturing too - LOL.
caslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,056
You might want to take second and check out the dry side, too. Look up Kootenai Health here in northern ID. I moved here 10 years ago from your neck of the woods (Boyertown, PA) and haven't looked back. WA is run by a bunch of Nazis compared to ID!
My wife is in the medical field and keeps her WA license "just in case" but would hate life if she had to work over there.
Just my $.02, and welcome!

BTW, how did you manage to get the XCW plated in PA? I gave up on that process, and it was one of the final straws that forced my move out here.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
wizze OP
Wizze = Wise

Oddometer: 900
Good info. May consider Spokane area again. Coeur d'Alene is too hard to spell.

XR4EVER sent you a message.
2005 BMW R1200RT
Is that it?
wizze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
JanLD
Jan in Sammamish

Oddometer: 5
Ride Year-Round

I live in the Eastside Seattle metro area and have family members in the medical field. They work at Overlake and Swedish facilities. It seems like the job prospects are good here.

I commute to work in downtown Seattle on my bike -- the nice thing about west of the Cascades, we don't get much snow so I can ride year-round. Yeah, it rains here some - but you don't melt, right?

Jan
Old 08-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
John E Davies
Runs at Mouth Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
Spokane was just voted fifth best city by Outside Magazine ... http://www.outsideonline.com/adventu...ashington.html

and there are a ton of medical related jobs here - and Providence Hospital is finishing up a new medical center in Spokane Valley, so they should be hiring: ... http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/sep/05/providence-announces-expansion-into-valley/

Cost of living is way less than in Puget Sound, housing is cheap, no crowds. I moved here eleven years ago and whenever I go back to the Wet Side, I hate it and can't wait to get away......

There are 4,000 miles of unpaved roads in Spokane County alone and ten times that many within a 50 mile radius of Coeur d'Alene. If I were to move, it would be 20 miles further east into Idaho.

Home Page: http://www.spokanister.net

John E Davies screwed with this post 08-14-2013 at 12:19 PM
John E Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
shojimon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
I live in the west Puget Sound-Kitsap county. It used to be quiet thirty years ago. Now it is getting over run. The dry side east of the Cascades, or Spokane- or Idaho would be my choice. One thing about the wet side- you may get claustrophobia- unless you are in a developed area or on the water there is a wall of trees at the roads edge. And you won't see through them either-the underbrush is thick. So riding on the FS roads, you will be riding for the most part in a tunnel of trees with no view. Yes, I know there are exceptions, but when I moved out here from the East coast thirty years ago it was one of the things that really struck me. I was used to being able to see into and through the forest.
shojimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #10
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,056
[QUOTE=wizze;22096916]Coeur d'Alene is too hard to spell. /QUOTE]
"CDA" is good enough even for the postal service, and it is pronounced "core da lane" just in case you don't know. I remember my first time through here, I was totally baffled on how to say it.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,042
All because of those dang French beaver catchers! Don't blame it on the Indians.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #12
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,371
There are pros and cons everywhere. If you are looking at Idaho and Eastern WA one thing to consider is Idaho has state income tax and Washington doesn't. Sales tax is higher in WA than Idaho.

I live in Spokane Valley and like it just because that's what I'm used to. One of the things I like is we have a lot more blue sky than the Seattle area does but we have more snow too.

Do some looking around and you will find the place to call home.

Let us all know where you end up so you can start making friends with the local ADVers, there are some great people in the beautiful PNWet.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #13
woodsrider-boyd
Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer: 315
From NJ, moved here 20 yrs ago, to the wet side. Have STILL not adjusted to the gloomy weather. I freaking hate it.

Scenary? World class. Off road riding? World class. Weather? SUCKS. You get 2-3 months of decent summer weather if you're lucky. The rest of the year you're living in gray gloomy drizzle.

Traffic blows too.

Other then that, its pretty awesome.

As soon as my youngest is off to college I AM THE HELL OUT OF HERE.

I CAN'T WAIT! -Ed

Edit: I should ad that people are generally very friendly and courteous which is a nice change up from the gruff east coast demeanor (which never bothered me anyway).

'06 Husqvarna WR125

woodsrider-boyd screwed with this post 08-14-2013 at 06:04 PM
woodsrider-boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #14
Gootch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
What has happened to westsiders? Everyone is getting too welcoming (maybe it's because you ain't from round here). We normally say that there are no jobs, housing is freaking expensive (which in many places it is, including Bellingham), it rains every day - except when it's only very cloudy and depressing, and traffic is miserable. That's the real northwest way to sell the place.
Gootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #15
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,371
The others are trying to off load their houses so they can move so they have to say the west side is awesome, they are hoping to get lucky.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote