Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
marcwestbmw OP
Walkin' Mans Friend

Oddometer: 491
Coughing & sputtering in the rough stuff

2006 950 ADV S, 10,000 miles

Started the bike one day after it had been sitting for 3 weeks (ethanol fuel in the tanks). Fuel poured out of the carb vent for a seconds. Bike subsequently ran fine, until later in the day , when I got in the rough stuff. Now, on slow speed acceleration, hard turning, or riding on rough terrain, the bike coughs and sputters.

I have added fresh fuel, run Seafoam through it, and still doing the same thing. My plan is to remove the carbs, clean the bowls, and put in fresh jets. Am I on the right track?

BTW, could it just happen to be the fuel pump. The points are worn unevenly. But, not worn all the way through.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
Balsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcwestbmw View Post

Started the bike one day after it had been sitting for 3 weeks (ethanol fuel in the tanks). Fuel poured out of the carb vent for a seconds. Bike subsequently ran fine, until later in the day , when I got in the rough stuff. Now, on slow speed acceleration, hard turning, or riding on rough terrain, the bike coughs and sputters.

I have added fresh fuel, run Seafoam through it, and still doing the same thing. My plan is to remove the carbs, clean the bowls, and put in fresh jets. Am I on the right track?

BTW, could it just happen to be the fuel pump. The points are worn unevenly. But, not worn all the way through.
Ruled out side stand switch?
Old 08-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
marcwestbmw OP
Walkin' Mans Friend

Oddometer: 491
Side stand switch is off and wired together. But, I haven't check it since I did the torque limiter. Hmmm.....which was right before this all started.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Check the spring in the float needle. A friend had the same thing happen on his KLR. Ran good on smooth stuff, but hit the rough stuff and it would sputter. Freed that up and it ran fine.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
homerj
742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer: 4,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcwestbmw View Post

clean the whole carb. I've had similar issues, used seafoam, and didn't see a difference. pulled the carbs, cleaned them, reassembled and all OK.

as for the fuel pump, if you're nearly full tanks when then happens it's less likely to be the fuel pump.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 1,013
Check your float level while you have the carbs out for the cleaning. Probably a debris related issue but they will sputter and cough if the bowls aren't properly filling.
Don't forget to take a look at your filters as well.
The leaking fuel was most likely a dried out o-ring, should be ok once saturated and plumped up.
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote