ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
nuke24 OP
Cougar Bait

Oddometer: 11
Question Looking for someone with a dr650 to test cdi near asheville.

Hello,
I was wondering if there is anyone in the asheville area with a dr650 that would allow me to swap cdi's and see if mine is bad. My bike is currently not running due to an ignition problems. The following explanation of the the failures is long but hopefully gives any information needed.

Here is a little back story of the problem, if first started during a long ride one day, I turned off the bike and when I tried to start it up again it didn't start for about 5 minutes of messing around. Then later that day it died again after a complete tear down in a sun baked parking lot at the bottom of a dam I figured out I had no spark, and no cell signal. Luckily I was with a good riding buddy with a dl1000 and I had 100ft of paracord, so 90 miles of curvy backroads and interstate later I was home. I did a little research and concluded it was the stator pickup. I ordered the ricky stator ltz pickup and installed it. The bike started up right away. After a week or so of short commutes to work I decided to drive my bike out to the lake for the weekend, it drove out there fine but on sunday when I tried to start it back up nothing, No spark again. Ironically I was with the same guy and fairly near to where I broke down last time, unfortunately he was towing a boat so I had to leave the bike and ride back in the suv, then had to go back out there with a trailer to pick it up. So more searching and testing went on and I thought it may be the resistor plug caps failing due to heat, so I replaced those. What do you know, it now sparks again, so once again I go for a test ride, it is going alright for about 70 miles on the interstate, then I hear a very loud bang. The bike backfired really bad, then another and another, I decided to turn around at the next exit, when I tried to merge back onto the interstate the backfires got worse until the bike was surging and died, so now I am stuck on the side of the road with a bike that just has backfires only. I end up having to push the bike about a mile up a hill on a really hot day to get to the nearest exit only to realize there is nothing there. Luckily I have a cell signal and call family, I end up getting the bike to start, I guess after it cooled down, and ride another 11 miles to the next exit as it was to hot to sit around waiting. Now it is sitting in my drive way, I have tested everything I can with the multimeter and it appears to be with in spec, although the ricky stator pickup reads 350ohs, within their spec but not suzuki's. I also put in new plugs just in case. The bike turns over but just does not spark, or sparks periodically, if I can get it to start it will only idle for maybe 30 seconds.

If anyone could help out I would appreciate it.
Nicholas

Also a funny side note, you can get a bike to pass inspection in north carolina even if it does not run.
nuke24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
nuke24 OP
Cougar Bait

Anyone who can help? If not I will just order one.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
dbarale
Squiddly slow

Oddometer: 1,209
I don't have a DR650 but did you check the coil(s)?
dbarale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
nuke24 OP
Cougar Bait

I have checked the coils, they test fine using a multimeter. I will probably order one of those later on, I have the safari tank on my bike and wonder if they over heat with the tank. Although without the tank on the bike won't spark often. Being that the bike is cold I don't think the problem is heat related. I am not sure what is wrong, I have tested all I can and can't find the culprit.