Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #46
globalt38
Swimmin W/Waterwings

Oddometer: 578
Very good time! This is me either telling Kyle "Yes - coffee please" or trying to flash some gang signs... Also - even though it "looks like" I'm doing something serious on my bike - it just "Looks like" I'm doing something...
Quote:
Originally Posted by oochaDog View Post

Here's the few pics I took.

Got to see some cool toys in action (Twin Max and Color Tune) and learned some good stuff. Luckily Jenna got her priorities straight and decided hanging out with us was better than a relaxing weekend camping otherwise I don't think it would have been quite as productive as it was (panniers of unlimited airhead parts...)

Thanks again Kyle for hosting - the great coffee and the friendly pup who took it upon herself to make sure we didn't eat too many donut holes

"If you want to be happy for a Day, Drink. If you want to be happy for a Year, Marry. If you want to be happy for a lifetime, Ride a BMW!"
You can have my Airhead when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!
globalt38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #47
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,533
I am jealous of the Hotlanta Airhead scene.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #48
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,293
Yeah, I was just thinkin' the same thing
Old 08-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #49
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,344
I hope'n I can make the next one

andy you ain't that far away

cause we know they need someone standing around drinking beer making smart ass remarks

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:11 AM   #50
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by red bud View Post
I hope'n I can make the next one

andy you ain't that far away

cause we know they need someone standing around drinking beer making smart ass remarks
Nope. . Jobs taken
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:17 AM   #51
Beater
Is it broke yet?

Oddometer: 3,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by red bud View Post
....cause we know they need someone standing around drinking beer making smart ass remarks
Yep, we already have several of those. But you know the peanut gallery could always use on more
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:29 AM   #52
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,706
Color me jealous-green as well... youse guys know how to do it all... good stuff!!

...and Jenna must have an amazing inventory, she helped me out, all the way up north in RhodeIsland!!

Old 08-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #53
khale OP
ride dirty

Oddometer: 556
Well, as Borat would say, GREAT SUCCESS! What a fun tech day. It's great meeting fellow Airheaders and talking shop/bikes. I think it's safe to say Bobby (blue r90/6) was smiling ear to ear when we fixed him up. He's been dealing with this silly popping issue on his left side for a while now.

The issue we found we were having with the blue r90 (Plaka/Disston if you are listening) was the points gap. Cam nose was not bent nor was there a double image in the timing hole like we thought. The gap was almost non-existent, just enough of a tiny gap for the bike to run...poorly.
Here is an image of the old points, and new points. Unfortunately, the new points didn't work, so we dressed and cleaned the old points

Bobby is going to order some new points to replace this temporary fix of the cleaned points. The points are pitted so it was recomended to still change out to new points ASAP. We are just glad that the came nose was not bent.

We also got a Colortune tutorial by Blaine and Jenna. Very cool stuff. I def want to pick one up.

We demolished 2 large pizzas and found a great way to keep your pizza warm

As a side note, anyone Airheads in Georgia (southeast or wherever) going to Barber this year? Would love to meet up.

khale screwed with this post 08-25-2013 at 07:45 AM
khale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #54
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,274
Damnit I hated missing this! Especially for the paltry amount of money I made working yesterday. I had $17 in my bank account and no idea how I'd get to class this week though. I couldn't turn it down. Heck driving down there and back would've been enough in gas to bankrupt me. Being in school sucks. I'm glad ya'll had fun anyways.

I rode my bike around the block today at least. According to my air/fuel gauge I'm lean on the top AND right off idle but way fat in the middle. Which is not what the previous mech who helped me said. Still, that's something to work with. When I get my first teaching check I'm taking it to another independent mech who said he'd work with me. No promises, other than taking my money, but at least he's got a box of jets.

Sorry I missed it!

edit: I've got a colortune that I don't really need anymore now that I've got the a/f gauge. Lemme know if you're interested. That's a week's worth of gas money!

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 08-25-2013 at 12:40 PM
bgoodsoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #55
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,607
[QUOTE=khale;22176747]

The issue we found we were having with the blue r90 (Plaka/Disston if you are listening) was the points gap. Cam nose was not bent nor was there a double image in the timing hole like we thought. The gap was almost non-existent, just enough of a tiny gap for the bike to run...poorly. .[QUOTE]

Points gap or dwell was mentioned in your other thread. Because you thought you had a double image I guess we got stuck on that. But then the double image was not verified so the gathering.

Ignition points often move either because somebody didn't tighten them or because they wear. Their operation and adjustment needs to be checked.

Sounds like you may have a pair of the faulty Chinese points that won't adjust? They can be fixed I hear by filing down the over sized rubbing block. But a new set of Norris points are probably better. Supposedly these faulty Chinese points are not in the parts system any more but I think there are still a few around. The Norris points come in a box labeled "Norris".

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #56
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post

Ignition points often move either because somebody didn't tighten them or because they wear. Their operation and adjustment needs to be checked.

Sounds like you may have a pair of the faulty Chinese points that won't adjust? They can be fixed I hear by filing down the over sized rubbing block. But a new set of Norris points are probably better. Supposedly these faulty Chinese points are not in the parts system any more but I think there are still a few around. The Norris points come in a box labeled "Norris".
I'm gonna vote, the person that recently installed them forgot to tighten. I'm grabbing Bobby a new set tomorrow. As for the old set, bike ran great after some sanding and adjustment of the original points. So those are his back-up set.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #57
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,607
I carry a used set as my back up on the bike. I also have a new set at home. I am perfectly prepared when it comes to this part. Hopefully if I have any problems it is a perfect problem.

Change that set out that you filed as soon as possible. OK in an emergency but filing is not recommended these days. The Tungsten coating on the points electrodes is supposedly too thin to file so they will wear out rapidly after filing.

I do like the idea of using a Booster on bikes with points. I don't want to convert the ignition to electronic but using a Booster keeps the points in place while making them work more efficiently and last longer.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #58
bmwloco
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,281
If I had not volunteered to do an over night 7pm to 7:30am for two that are out at work (one dead dad, one newborn son...and the circle goes round) I would have snuck in on Das Beast.

I used to live in Atlanta back in the 80's. Sneaking in and out is all I want to do!

'66 BMW R60/2, '83 BMW R100RS,'81 BMW R100RS "Das Beast", '87 BMW R850R '77 Honda XL125
Airhead #371
bmwloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #59
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
As a side note, anyone Airheads in Georgia (southeast or wherever) going to Barber this year? Would love to meet up.

i'm hoping to it's a good time

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #60
rheritage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
I'll be there, I'm racing my 1971 R75/5 in Sportsman 750 and BEARS and I'll have my street R75/5 for cruising. Come by the pits and looks for bike #915, would be great to meet "The Crew" from Atlanta. Gets lonely down here in Savannah for Airheads.

Hope to make your next Tech Day, makes a great ride up and back from SAV.

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
Well, as Borat would say, GREAT SUCCESS! What a fun tech day. It's great meeting fellow Airheaders and talking shop/bikes. I think it's safe to say Bobby (blue r90/6) was smiling ear to ear when we fixed him up. He's been dealing with this silly popping issue on his left side for a while now.

The issue we found we were having with the blue r90 (Plaka/Disston if you are listening) was the points gap. Cam nose was not bent nor was there a double image in the timing hole like we thought. The gap was almost non-existent, just enough of a tiny gap for the bike to run...poorly.
Here is an image of the old points, and new points. Unfortunately, the new points didn't work, so we dressed and cleaned the old points

Bobby is going to order some new points to replace this temporary fix of the cleaned points. The points are pitted so it was recomended to still change out to new points ASAP. We are just glad that the came nose was not bent.

We also got a Colortune tutorial by Blaine and Jenna. Very cool stuff. I def want to pick one up.

We demolished 2 large pizzas and found a great way to keep your pizza warm

R100RS Sold, R80RT Sold, 1150RT Traded, RC51 Sold, KLR685 Sold, W650 Sold, CB1100F Traded, 1100S BCR Traded
rheritage is offline   Reply With Quote