Oddometer: 6,804
Got points?

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #62
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,167
Don't you love coming home to a box of parts - good thing my 13yr old likes skittles.

Meant to ask if this was one you guys - about a month ago snapped photo when you wouldn't look at my salute.

Bike looked like it had a little speed wobble at 58 mph

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #63
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,886
Looks like George?
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #64
atlthrux
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Omg, does my ass really look that fat?

That was probably on the way to or from the most recent Atlanta Area Hookie Day hosted by Jenna. I do remember at some point feeling a weird wobble (perhaps on 285?), but I haven't felt it since.

BTW, who was it @ the tech day that had the quick connect for his neg battery cable? Was that just a screw-on BNC connector spliced-in, or was there more to it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
Meant to ask if this was one you guys - about a month ago snapped photo when you wouldn't look at my salute.

Bike looked like it had a little speed wobble at 58 mph
atlthrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:01 PM   #65
garyinalt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I had the quick disconnect. I used I think 10 or 12 gauge wire with a copper connector on one end. Then I used a male BNC connector that actually fit into another copper connector. Then I used a female BNC connector with an end that would allow fitment of the 10 gauge wire. I used solder to affix it with shrink wrap to cover all the messiness.
Finding the appropriate BNC connectors is difficult, probably a ham radio store. The cable and copper connectors came from a boating supply store. Hope this helps.
95 MZ Skorpion
garyinalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:00 PM   #66
baldwithglasses
Godspeed, Robert

Oddometer: 795
Damn. Just saw this. Hope I can make the next one!
baldwithglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:22 AM   #67
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlthrux View Post
I do remember at some point feeling a weird wobble (perhaps on 285?), but I haven't felt it since.

BTW, who was it @ the tech day that had the quick connect for his neg battery cable? Was that just a screw-on BNC connector spliced-in, or was there more to it?
It was on 285 - right around 85 - was an odd little dance, glad it's past.

I went through about 10 pages of Grainger BNC search - all I saw was R59 / R6 connectors.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #68
garyinalt
Adventurer

Here is one that I found on the web. This will work for the cable side.

http://www.showmecables.com/product/...FRRk7AodG2AAZw

Something like this to attach to the copper end piece that attaches to the gear box.

http://www.delcity.net/store/Fusion-Standard-Copper-Lugs/p_804186.r_IF1003?mkwid=eTwengTe&crid=8597976029&mp_kw={keyword}&mp_mt={matchtype}&gclid=CKj7hOqErrkCFWxo7AodUQoA7A

http://www.pimfg.com/Product-Detail/B-007-174
95 MZ Skorpion
Old 09-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #69
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyinalt View Post
Here is one that I found on the web. This will work for the cable side.

http://www.showmecables.com/product/...FRRk7AodG2AAZw

Something like this to attach to the copper end piece that attaches to the gear box.

http://www.delcity.net/store/Fusion-Standard-Copper-Lugs/p_804186.r_IF1003?mkwid=eTwengTe&crid=8597976029&mp_kw={keyword}&mp_mt={matchtype}&gclid=CKj7hOqErrkCFWxo7AodUQoA7A

http://www.pimfg.com/Product-Detail/B-007-174
Um..you are running the return from the starter through that connector. It will melt a coax connector. Think 6-8 gauge cable.

I use a sorta-quick disconnect at the battery. It is made of two sheets of heavy copper soldered together. At the transmission end the lug has been moved to a tranny cover bolt---the longer-bolt-and-bushing routine. The copper plate is at the battery. The green wires are a par of 10 gauge grounds, one dedicated to the diode board and coils, the other to the headlights and assorted other loads.

The bolt that connects the copper lug to the battery lug is a stainless allen head with a long pin brazed into the head. This rests against the battery to keep the bolt from turning. So only one wrench is required. With the nut loosened a half turn, the copper lug lifts away. this disconnects all the grounds:

The tool is an old wrench bolted to a hook wrench for my shocks. I like both handy. They can pivot. The 10mm open end is used with the wrenches in line:

The tool clips onto the back of the battery box where it's handy. A safety cable and caribiner for CYA, but it's trapped by the tool tray:

In the event of an electrical fire it's not the fastest thing in the universe, but it's pretty quick. Throw the seat open and toss out the tool tray so your tools and registration don't get burned, grab the wrench and turn the bolt a half turn, lift the lug away.

I piece of 1/2" copper pipe, hammered flat, is plenty of metal for the connection. Figure it has to take the full amperage draw of the starter.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #70
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
I had the quick disconnect. I used I think 10 or 12 gauge wire with a copper connector on one end. Then I used a male BNC connector that actually fit into another copper connector. Then I used a female BNC connector with an end that would allow fitment of the 10 gauge wire. I used solder to affix it with shrink wrap to cover all the messiness.
Finding the appropriate BNC connectors is difficult, probably a ham radio store. The cable and copper connectors came from a boating supply store. Hope this helps.
So you used the shells of the BNC connectors for your conductors? Were they insulated?
Old 09-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #71
garyinalt
Adventurer

I will have to get a photo of my ground connector. Good thing you warned me about a meltdown. Although I have not witnessed that in the 40 years that I have been using them on every bike that I have owned and about 300k miles..
95 MZ Skorpion
Old 09-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #72
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
I will have to get a photo of my ground connector. Good thing you warned me about a meltdown. Although I have not witnessed that in the 40 years that I have been using them on every bike that I have owned and about 300k miles..
No, shells should take it. The conductor sure won't. I would doubt 12ga wire too. 10Ga. a maybe but I'd call it a fire risk..and I seen burned bikes. That ground is automotive sized for a reason, and not throttling the starter is one.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #73
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,162
I think I have 4 gauge wire on my ground wire to the battery. I also have another braided wire to the frame bolt directly above the battery.

When I do wiring I often use a larger wire than seems needed. There's a limit to how big you can make any wire or each wire. But with in reason bigger wire is better. Especially things like headlights and horns, things you want to be able to get all the juice they may want.

A too small a wire will heat up and yes it can cause a fire, sometimes melted insulation and a short, which draws more current and more heat. It also won't work things it is supposed to work before the wire melts. For instance, too small a wire to the starter will waste so much electricity that it will then sometimes not start the engine. The heat it makes is wasted energy.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:25 AM   #74
garyinalt
Adventurer

I have a photo of the quick disconnect but I don't have an account for my stuff. I will be glad to send this to someone so they can post it.
95 MZ Skorpion
Old 09-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #75
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
I have a photo of the quick disconnect but I don't have an account for my stuff. I will be glad to send this to someone so they can post it.
happy to host, at least for awhile.