User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #16
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Oddometer: 464
Rollin' into town

We rolled into Ouray around 4pm Friday afternoon--to disappointing sights. Initially we were told that they'd been so rain deprived that we wouldn't be able to grill anything outside. That would have been heartbreaking to see my Ouray start to look like Salt Lake. So when we arrived I was relieved to find everything green..However, it was rainy and nothing but gray skies and clouds greeted us.

We met our friends, before running to the Victorian inn for the keys to the house .However, once we get there we're told that we need to delay for an hour or so to allow the housekeepers time to pick up. Cool, we needed to grab some groceries anyway. Off to Ducketts! Although this place is super convenient, it's also rather costly. At least compared to our Utah/Wyoming standards. Going to Ridgway is equally as expensive +gas and time. If you're staying here and on a budget, I'd recommend doing one trip to Montrose for groceries. However if you're not on a budget and want to support the local economy, go Ducketts

Plus, if you're lucky you'll get to see some rats with hooves.

Great, we are pretty sure that we've passed the place on the way in, should be easy to find. We plug the address into the GPS and start heading down the highway. Only it takes us passed where we thought we were staying. I was sorta upset, after initially being told we'd only be 2 miles outside of town...and this was much further. Finally we make the turn and it takes us to a dirt residential road.

We travel roughly 1.5 miles back in the direction we'd just come from. Stopping only when Micha flags us down, her truck had run out of Gas. After fueling up with a spare gas can we had--we are back on the hunt. We turn down the exact street we were thinking on the way in--and there is our house. It's no crown jewel like we stayed at last time--but it will do the job. The view from the front of the house is more than capable for making up for the lackluster interior.

If you're interested in making extra money just buy a shack in Ouray, I'm sure you could rent a shack out for an exorbitant price.

In the mean time we'll rest, and tackle Imogene tomorrow. My mom and sister will stay behind--But Team Wyoming will be joining my dad and I. Micha takes her youngest, Trevor on the front of her bike with her..I'm not really sure how she does it, as I can barely get myself up a mountain. Her oldest boy is short for being 12 and can barely tip-toe his 80. Two strokes are notorious for not dealing with elevation changes that well, especially the smaller ones. Team Wyoming rides what it seems like is everyday--so I go to sleep not worrying about tomorrow. After all, I just tackled Hancock and Tomichi right?

MaverickChick screwed with this post 08-16-2013 at 08:53 AM
MaverickChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #17
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,760
Congrats on conquering Hancock and Tomichi!

Not to give it away (spoiler alert!), but you were awesome on Imogene -
everyone in our group was very impressed by you!

Oso bored? you can find the rest of our ride reports HERE
make stupid your favorite!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #18
utefan
03'XR650R

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickChick View Post
Imogene reverse--I just got passed by a big KTM 2 up?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post

OH this is AWESOME - you saw Big and LittleWan on Imogene pass - that is like seeing bigfoot in the wild. Cannot wait for the rest of the report.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #19
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Crap now I'm really pissed! We were all there at the same time and I didn't see a thing Just proves what a wide open and beautifully distracting place it is.

John
Old 08-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #20
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post

Awe,shucks--thanks.

I haven't looked at our footage from that day yet, but I bet we got some good shots of you guys! Not giving away much, our run in/Imogene still leaves some explaining!
Old 08-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #21
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utefan View Post
OH this is AWESOME - you saw Big and LittleWan on Imogene pass - that is like seeing bigfoot in the wild. Cannot wait for the rest of the report.
They're the first adv'ers to recognize me-a pretty surreal experience! Technically we ran into them at a gas station, and then stalked them. But that part will come later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
Crap now I'm really pissed! We were all there at the same time and I didn't see a thing Just proves what a wide open and beautifully distracting place it is.

John
I saw so many people on bikes! It wouldn't surprise me if I got glimpses of others. The Internet man, it's crazy!
Old 08-17-2013, 06:23 AM   #22
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
catching up

I'm beginning to see why you were so intent about making friends with the boulders in American Fork. Good practice for the majors. What a great trip. Let's see more.
psmcd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #23
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmcd View Post
I'm beginning to see why you were so intent about making friends with the boulders in American Fork. Good practice for the majors. What a great trip. Let's see more.
Making friends with your worst nightmare is a must with motorcycling, I feel. When you give up, blood,sweat,tears and clutch levers, hopefully you'll emerge with some sort of skills.

For those unfamiliar with the American Fork area of Utah; Behold, Mineral Basin.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #24
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Imogene today! I was pretty excited/ nervous. We had been up it before in a jeep, and I remember it being a rocky mutha! We invited my Mom and kid sister to come along for the journey--but they passed when we googled imaged it. Probably for the best, they were just starting out on the 4 wheeler--and we didn't want to traumatize them too much.

Boss man and I would ride to the Yankee Boy basin parking lot. Micha and her boys did not have street legal bikes, so they would need to load them and meet us there. Once we hit the road we discovered a phenomenon that would plague us for the rest of the trip. Driving through the town of Ouray, people would go 12-14 MPH..despite the speed limit of 25. Normally in a car this wouldn't bother me--go your speed whatever, I'm on vacation. However 12-14 MPH is a hard speed for me to maintain..it sits perfectly in-between 1st and second gear.

It seems like forever but we eventually hit the dirt turn off for Imogene. Micha and the kids get all unloaded, quite the feat removing bikes from a big truck . Not to mention the fact that she is fiercely independent, and made a deal about her doing it herself.

The road up to Imogene is very easy, in fact I've seen several cars take it in front of us. It's smooth sailing despite the huge drop off to one side. A view that is not made any easier when you see the crosses and the flowers placed at the side of the road. The turn off gives you two options, through the river, and over a rickety bridge. Regardless of if you fear water or not, the bridge will be the sketchier choice...I however, love water crossings so this is the start of a great trail for me. Hagen doesn't take the bait, but everyone else makes their way the water.

Once getting past the water I looked up the trail to survey the damage. In my experience sketchy trails start off looking pretty easy, so I'm not sure why I still look at this as an indicator. Imogene however let you know how it was going to be from the start. 'Hey, I've got steep rock dropoffs -- can ya deal?'

I know that Micha and the boys ride tons during the summer, but I was still nervous for them. Especially since Micha had Trevor on the front of her bike. They were right on my butt on the path, I quickly found out that their riding levels weren't going to be a problem for this trail.

Venturing up onto a rock ledge, I am shocked to find the gnarliest on-path drop off . There was no way to avoid it, so I stood up and pushed back and I went down it. Man these bikes are amazing, that felt like nothing. I spoke into my communicator and let my Dad know , "Black Bear", which would become an ongoing joke in Ouray. Randomly when I would go over something big, or small--I'd tell him Black Bear. To which he would always say something along the lines of , 'You need more training'. I really wanted to go check Black Bear pass, but my the boss man thought I needed more time. He's probably right

Usually I only ride with my dad, so this group thing would take some getting used to. I do a quick look behind to make sure everyone is behind me, and sure enough they're cruising along. I round a bend and notice the trail ahead of my is 2/3rd a rock. Doable to go up and over, but the left option of minor rocks looks much better, despite the little rocks. And hikers...Wait what?! I stop my bike, thinking they'd walk up onto the rock so we could pass, but they stayed their course. Eventually I have passing room and speed off, my group was stopped with me so I figured it wouldn't be a big deal. Only it was, Hagens little two stroke was really struggling at this altitude. However he was rocking it out, and really putting that little bike to work. I probably would have thrown in the towel faced with a non cooperating bike, but he kept pressing on. Unfortunately we encountered another group of hikers, and I stopped to let them move to the other side of the trail. Our intercoms weren't working at this point but my dad let me know that Hagens bike was having difficulty.

This is the point where I realized that the Wyoming group was straight up schooling me. Hagen bossing on the 85, and Micha with a wiggly kid! Holy crap! I come to a rocky section with big ledges a.k.a tire grabbers.

You would ride up on top of a ridge and it would try to yank your tire in another direction. It would't have been that bad if you didn't have to go over multiple ridges. This section of Imogene was pretty sporting and got a 6/10 MaverickChick rating. I make it to another river crossing and wait...and wait. I'm not a good wait and see type girl. In fact the last time I waited for my Dad, he dodged a deer and ate it big time. I came back to find him in poor condition and the fender of the KTM almost non existent. I wait for 5 Mav minutes, which is probably the equivalent to 1 minute actual time.

I intersect boss man on the trail, he doesn't look worried, so I try and pull myself out of rescue mode. We curse the communicators for not working, and he lets me know Hagen's bike is giving him grief again. I'm also told that I should park my bike up higher and walk down a little ways to them to see if I can help. Micha is Walk/Riding the YZ up, and it looks like the biggest task ever. She gets to a spot where the bike just seems not to want to go anymore, and bails off to start pushing. The hikers we are not playing leap-frog with jump behind us and help us push the bike to a stopping place. A beautiful we're all in this together moment. Now the XR just has to come up. Trevor climbs up on Micha's bike, despite me asking him to come with me--so Micha could navigate this alone. They get going and the bike teeters, and almost loses its riders. Stress. After the almost tip over, Micha reluctantly lets me walk Trevor up the trail further.

We get up the trail further, and finally our communcators start to work again. I'm instructed to stop on the switch back pullout. Which works really well for me, because it was a right hander And we all know right hand switch backs are my favorite. Micha let's us know that she and boys will wait for us to summit, but with the bike acting weird they were just going to stay there.

The KTM's make it to the summit with ease, despite us having to stop occasionally to let the bikes cool down ( we had ordered a fan for my bike, but had it turned on? Nope ). I did have a sketchy moment where I had to make a right hander through a large rock field. At the top we looked around, and the view was a crazy beautiful one. It's not beautiful in the 'oh, look a wildflower' type way. More so in the sense that it makes you feel small, in the grand scheme of things.

I look at my dad and we both agree we need to get Micha up here. I volunteer to stay with the boys, but my dad thinks it'd be best if I summit with her again. Let's cross our fingers that I don't crash and die.

This time the road to the summit is much harder. Not because the terrain magically changed, but because we are having to leap frog tour vehicles. We'd get ahead of one, and then they'd pass us while I was giving my bike a breather. All but one of them is very accommodating, and move over as soon as they see us behind them. One spot was quite tricky, and required some badass clutch skills, not to toot my own horn or anything.

Going to the top again was rewarding, plus we saw a Unimog!! Uhm, if anyone is looking for Christmas gift for me, a Unimog would be a good choice.

Down we go! We just skip a few more tour vehicles and make it down to the rest of the group in no time. I pull in kinda weird realize I'll have to make a down hill sharp left top get out of the turn out. My skin crawls, and I know this is going to be the sketchiest part of the trip for me. I inch forward and get some speed, look to see that Trevor isn't in front of me. And then...WHam vrooooooooom. I'm down, I do a cute curtsy type thing, even though no one got it on camera. Maverickchick down, on the dumbest part of the path! Duh. Oh well, I try to have a good attitude about it, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't let down. My crash ratio had gone down drastically, and now it was smudged!

I was probably yelling at myself in my head when I missed the turn. I kept going on a path that lead down, because obviously we were going down weren't we? What the heck? ...I end up in some sort of mine operation with no trespassing signs all around. Once I get out I find myself on the main road. I wait. And I wait. No one is in sight. I kick myself again for not stopping sooner, the end of the path just came sooner than I'd expected.

I ride up and down the road looking for the river crossing we'd come in on. Debating going back to the truck, I resolve to stay on the path and wait. Luckily Micha finds me, and lets me know they took the wrong turn off too. My dad wasn't sure which way I'd went so he went back up Imogene to look for me. Wait wait wait wait...it feels like it forever, but he find us eventually. Phew.

We are all safe and sound, and the only thing damaged is a little bit of my ego.

MaverickChick screwed with this post 08-17-2013 at 11:35 PM
MaverickChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #25
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Ophir

We woke up to yet another gray morning. I was going to complain, looking at my phone we were dodging 100 degree temps back home. Yuck! The plan today was Ophir, something that I was pretty excited about. This was going to be another pass bag from the TAT. And the best part of today is that we would be riding with the entire family. I'm sure my little sister would have liked to been on a bike, but she doesn't have the a-okay from the docs yet. Injuries aside she was also pretty timid regardless on the vehicle on dirt now. She pushed through a lot of her fear on this trip, and I couldn't be prouder.

We all have to take the cages since we're carting around the green machine. We suit up before we get into the FJ, making us look like a bunch of goofs. Have you ever tried to get into the backseat of an FJ with MX boots on? Hopefully that would be the hardest part of my day.

We're all unloaded and ready to go! We start the path and head down to a power station. Wow, I didn't know it was that short! Oh, wrong way? That explains a lot.

Finding the correct path we venture down. Ophir appears to be a very well maintained road, and honestly--if it were not from the view's I would have turned back.

Okay, not turned back. This was perfect for the riding skill of team green. They were rolling along and singing into the communicators.

We make it to the top and I can tell Micha and her boys thought it was too easy too. I scrable up the loose rock to either side of the pass, to snap an epic group shot.

My dad lets me know that my mom and sister would be heading back down the way the came. And that he would only be venturing down a little bit. Something about this let's me know that Ophir might have a little more in store for us.

Once we drop off the other side, we are at least given some small rocks to roll over.

Bossing down the path I have to remind myself that I'm with other riders and need to slow the pace down. I pull into a small shoulder and wait for the Wyoming group to come down. Holy Crap! As I am shifting my weight to another leg, I realize that I still have my phone in my pocket! That could have been a recipe for disaster!! As soon as I get my phone stowed away I hear the whine of the two stroke. Waving them by I take up the rear, and decide to try my hand at coasting down.

Hagen climbs a small off shoot later down the trail, and Micha gets a pretty good picture of the scenery.

We soon drop into the tree's, which has always been my favorite type of riding. Team Wyoming is enjoying it as well as we're picking up speed and cruising on a good road. Eventually our fun ends as there is a sign that let's us know we can't go further without plates. Micha being the crazy German that she is, sees a small river crossing shortly beyond the sign. Of course team Wyoming goes for it, and I stay back to get some good footage.

All turned around we start to head back up the mountain to meet the rest of our party. However a maroon Ford behind us whomps on their motor and pushes us back to a stop at the side. Choking on the dust we exchange glances...I guess they really wanted to be in front of us.

We catch the same truck further up the trail, and attempt to pass. They are rolling along at a whopping 8 MPH once they see we're behind them. Hugging more of the right side of the trail they leave us with just a sliver to pass them. This game could get dangerous, and with us behind them--who knows what else they'd pull. We take the far right, it's loose and has rocks--a little bit sporting at times. However we all manage, and are now in front of the psycho ford. Through another small river we stop and look at a semi hill climb in front of us. Did we really come down that? We send Hagen up first to make sure he makes it.

Halfway through his climb we hear the ford behind us picking up speed. They give us and over emphasized shrug as if to say, "Do you know what you're doing." Yeah, we actually do.

(Bad picture quality ripped from a foggy gopro--but I thought it was a good one for the story)

We pass them again on the hill, and they give us another glare. Sorry friend, if we could go slower behind you we would. However, it's just not possible for us to climb that hill while lugging the bike. Plus, who knows what kind of revenge was going through Ford's head.

Catching up with Hagen we speed right along. Hagen has a small bobble/stall on a steeper part of the climb. I was following probably a little too close, and have to do a rapid break to stay behind him. He gets going along right away. I try and do the same but manage to roll backwards instead of going forwards. Luckily I manage to catch myself on my right leg. Yes, the cliff leg . I try to get my left leg down but it just isn't happening. My right leg is throbbing, the bike held up at this angle won't hold for long. I look to right, and do some quick calculations. If I fall to the right, I will go off the ledge. I probably will break a bone or so, but it is survivable.

I kick off my right leg as hard as I can, and simultaneously let out the clutch and roll the throttle. Miraculously this works, and I don't have figure out how to splint my own leg. There is a white 4x4 behind me now, and I probably gave them a heart attack. I take off and head over to the switchback. What is that smell? Right before I hit the switch back by bike starts to hiss fluid. Oh crap, I guess I'd better sit here for a second before I continue the climb. I've burned the white truck, and the ford is a little ways behind them. I can see Micha on the ledge up above me, and I keep glancing around to make sure no one is coming up on me. Finally I'm off and back with the group.

We buzz by the summit, and continue our way down to the car. A green Toyota truck is pulled off to the side of the road...and something skin colored next to it. When we get closer I realize this is a young lady...and this young lady has her pants down and is..taking care of business.She is so so lucky that my gopro is now fogged up past recognition.

We're now back at the car, and my dad asks us if we hit the river crossing. Hagen takes off his helmet and goes for some green power.

Yeah, Micha and the kids hit the one down lower right by the sign. No, the one by the bridge just a little ways back. At hearing crossing team Wyoming is back on the road.

"Don't drop down on the side closer to us, it's better to cross the bridge and then go down."

Copy that boss man, and I'm off. I reel them in just in time to see Hagen take the just mentioned 'sketcy' way through the river. Micha follows and it looks like I have no choice but to do it. I pull up and look down. Oh great, A solid one foot erosion shelf, and a couple boulder to dodge and you'll find yourself in the river. Then you'll have to negotiate the large river rocks, go up the step on the other side and scale the steep bank. Micha and Hagen look at me from the other. Oh man, I'm going for it. It was a little sketchy, but I make it to the top.

Micha tells me it's one of those things you've just got to do, and if you thought about it you'd chicken out. This, among other things, is why I like this lady

Back to the car we start loading up. Hagen spots a new pair of shoes and go's for it.

I'm really glad I didn't break a leg on Ophir, and I'm really glad we didn't have to slab it back.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #26
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Take two: Ophir

Today, we got got to sleep in a little bit--8am. YAY! . Our plans for the day were, Ophir (Since the boss man didn't complete it last time) and then off to Owl creek and last dollar road. Today was going to be a cake walk, the guide book had us on 2 wheel drive roads. Not that I am thrilled when we do easy stuff, it's just that, well..it's easier.

The customary switchback shot.

On the Maverickchick scale of sketchiness this one is probably a two or a three. There are small collections of rocks that you have to manage. A fluke deflect could send you into the valley below. There is also a decent change in elevation, so stopping in the wrong spot could also be problematic. As I experienced last time we rode Ophir

Towards the bottom of the pass you'll start riding in the tree's. I tried to notice the steep part we had to climb coming back up with Micha--but I still couldn't pin it down. Maybe it was a hill that only magically appeared when coming back up? Who knows.

This time we got to travel across the OHV line. Dirt bikes with plates are super awesome for hooliganism such as this. The speed limit in this town was only 15 MPH, and our top speed was around 18--breaking the law. I for sure need a vacation home in this area. Maybe I can open up a TAT lemonade stand.

Eventually we hit pavement, and my Dad was dinking around with the GPS. He said that we should just go forward (meaning the slab) into Telluride. I heard forward and went across the road onto a semi hidden dirt road. The boss man couldn't see it at all from where he had stopped, but I guess this was the Road!

We eventually found our way to Telluride. Not before having to negotiate the speed circle of doom. However, I made it out and alive and even got to see someone tandem paragliding and landing in a field nearby. Sweet. Now it's time for gas station breakfast!

My Dad always tries to get me to eat burrito's. Too bad they're the worst--I do opt for a Naked juice drink, and a microwaved chicken sandwich. Standing at the register I notice a 990 roll in, I turn around to tell my dad but he is still filling up a fountain drink. This guy walks in and points at me, I hear my dad behind me say Big Wan. The guy gets a huge smile across his face, points to me and says "Maverickchick!"

What in the world was going on?

ADV'ers!!! This isn't my first time running into someone on here, but for sure the most unusual. I'd never been recognized from pictures on the internet, especially when I haven't really posted in two years! Not to make them sound like creepers or anything--it was just new for me. These guys do nothing but smile! And I am so glad to have been able to meet them, especially when it clicked that these were the famous TAT two ups!

They tell us they're going to Imogene, and take off shortly after. I look at my dad, I didn't want to do some two wheel drive path. I wanted to do Imogene from the Telluride side. I was told that it was going to be harder then the day we'd planned.

But hey, I'd invite myself to ride with ADV'ers any day We follow the KTM gang, and will hit Imogene shortly.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #27
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Telluride reminds me a lot of Park City, UT. That would make sense being that it is another mountain ski town. I have been told, that they are not so lenient on dirt bikes in their city.

That was fine, we were cruising on their small streets with planters in the center. Uh oh, I look down and look at my light kit indicator. It's off. I look back at my dad, to see if his is on. Sweet deal it is. Not so sweet deal the fuzz just pulled behind me. This wouldn't be a big deal, if my switch to turn everything on was on my handle bars. However, it is located pretty much on the top of my rear shock. I struggle with modulating power, and trying to flip the switch. Oh well, I'm not going to crash into someone for the sake of having this thing on. Luckily the cop peels off.

I see the back of an Orange bike making a left turn--this must be the start of Imogene! The rider I was following must have made a right shortly after, because I end up on a dead end street leading to a hiking trail. Luckily today I have some sort of sense and don't start on the path. I do have to get off to turn around. My behavior obviously seemed strange to several people as they are watching me. I was glad to be out of there--without any hiker entanglements.

Finally on the correct road to Imogene, although I'm not convinced this is not another hiking path. From this side it starts shoving rocks at you fast. Not big boulders to negotiate paths around, just little rocks. Little rocks and the edge could lead to troubles, but I manage. We end up passing the Wans, they're pulled off to the side for a photo op. We're already on stuff that I wouldn't dream of being two up on, so I wonder about their traveling speed. The rocks are stepping up their game, so I focus on that.

Our communicators have been giving us a lot of grief on this trip, so it's no wonder I can't hear what my Dad says now. "Right", is the only thing I can manage to understand. Suddenly it becomes clear what he is saying, or at least what he is wanting me to do. The noise is building quickly behind me, a vehicle traveling at a high rate of speed. 4 stroke definitely , it sounds like a big one. Maybe a four wheeler? A flash of orange streaks by me. I was just dusted by the Wans. Holy crap, they're crazies.

This is where we start our epic game of leap frog. They're stopping for pictures, and we are stopping to cool our bikes. It also becomes pretty apparent that all of the people involved in this ride are very skilled riders, at worst. I'd even venture to say that they might even be gifted.

They also appear to not be lacking in the humor department. Hopefully we didn't lead them astray on this switchback.

A couple right hander switch backs and we're almost to the top.

Well, after we let our bikes cool down. We stopped about 4 times to be on the safe side.

We had been seeing a lot of tracks going pretty high up on corners. No surprise here though.

It has been raining now, for awhile. Almost right after we hit the path, it started to drizzle. Which is never the best when you don't have a waterproof jacket on. The boss man also learned his was not waterproof without the liner. Bummer.

Up on top we don't stop and talk to the group--the rain is getting worse, and we just want to get out of there. We stop on a switchback to let our bikes cool, and little Wan surprises us with stickers.

They beast mode down this side as well, and are quickly out of sight. Riding down in the rain, was brutal --temperature wise. I was drenched, and cold. So cold in fact that when I'd be forced to cross water, it actually felt warmer for a minute. Perhaps it was feeling this cold that led to a sketchy choice. Oh that big almost rock wall? Yeah, I'll take it. Then again, maybe I took it because a Jeep was on my line--and the boss man radio'ed in that this was my best option. I still think he just wanted to get the crash on gopro.

Nailed it!

When we finally it the pavement, it starts to hail. Did I also mention I don't have a shield. I'm literally shaking at this point, but at least the hail is beating feeling back into my limbs. I see mud rushing down from the dirt streets above the main road. Almost there, almost there, almost there. Finally we make it, and I'm in the garage.

After changing I run into town to grab some hot chai. The line at mouses is long, I wasn't the only one frozen solid. We quickly run over to the grocery store, and grab some hot chocolate.

Coming up:

Poughkeepsie. (which was actually the day before this, I think )
Corkscrew
California
Hurricane
Engineer (1.5)
Old 08-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #28
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Engineer & Poughkeepsie

I have nightmares about popping wheelies on Engineer, about not being able to make it farther than I did last time. Today though, this was it. Time to shove away those lingering doubts, and to show myself what I am actually capable of.

Engineer is a dick. That is, if I am being completely honest. Right off the bat, and I mean 20 feet from the main road. The deep rocks yank at your tire, and beg you not to leave them. They would at least like a kiss first before you are permitted to leave. We escaped their claws, and press forward. More loose rocks await, and boulders in the middle of the road. Seemingly impossible rocks shelves. It's either climb them or risk the loose rocks on the edge.

I'm well through the section I ate it big last time. A particular rocky left turn offers a path straight forward. We stop for a second to check out the sign, hmm. Let's go this way, I snap a picture--and we're off.

I hope by expert drivers, they're only referring to jeeps.

By no means am I an expert, I would say my noob level is behind me. So I am excited when this path seems to be a pretty decent one so far.

Rocks in the road, and a puddle crossing later however--

We come to a boulder field, that is slick in the rain. To the left of us is a side of the mountain that has been cut into to accommodate this uhm....road? Honestly it's not much of a road, it's a boulder party. To the right is a small rive/stream type thing.

Working through this beast I have to keep telling myself, "Clutch, clutch, gas, break, breathe, clutch, breathe. You've got this. Just a little farther and it'll get easier again." Apparently on Poughkeepsie, nothing gets easier as you go along.

I give you, the climb of the century. More loose rock, more incline--and more bike overheating awesomeness. We'd have to stop every so often to let our bikes cool down. I was really hating my dads rekluse right now. He was not struggling nearly as hard as I was.

Yes, the most skilled person had the rekluse. I would have traded him bikes, but then I wouldn't be able to put a foot down. And some parts of this path were proving to be alllll dabble.

Finally we are out of the shale climb. Don't get me wrong, there were more obstacles--lots of boulders and rocks alike. As long as we didn't have another climb like before--we'd make it out alive.

Finally we come to this. The true obstacle of Poughkeepsie. Daunting to say the least. My dad inched forwards on his bike. "If you go up, so will I." He stops, circles back. And we both get off of our bikes. I didn't come to Colorado to break my bike or limbs. But Poughkeepsie, one day I'll come back, and I will have the confidence to tackle the obstacle.

The picture doesn't begin to show the sketchiness of this...

The day is getting worse, and we throw in the towel. Homeward bound for us. I had some gnarly almost tip overs--mostly on those sketchy drop off rock shelf type things. But we made it, and I'd never been more thankful to be off the mountains.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #29
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Good stuff Mav! We didn't get to Poughkeepsie. Something for next time.

John
Old 08-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #30
utefan
03'XR650R

Oddometer: 324
Good stuff