Nice pics.

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #17
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Home from work finally. Kevin is doing a great job with the report. Back shortly with an installment.

John
Old 08-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #18
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
Home from work finally. Kevin is doing a great job with the report. Back shortly with an installment.

John

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #19
JTBMC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
That's what I thought too, the Wife/Boss went shopping or something allowing for free time to relax, as I'm usually burdened down with a ton of Honey Do's for about a week too when I return from a ride.
JTBMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #20
Sourjon
TAT'erd

The group we had was a good one. Gary and Kerry from Grand Junction, CO, Tom from ShowLow Arizona and Ron "the flyin pickle' from Minny-so-tah I'd never met but was glad to do so. Gene has led us around out here before and at 74 can still out ride me with his eyes closed. But the first day Kevin and I were on our own. We decided to ride over Ophir and have lunch at Telluride.

The view from our front porch the first morning. Who wouldn't love this?

Ophir pass

Glam shot

We stood around looking at the vast expanse and a whistle pig trotted down the road and was getting close to our helmets and gloves. He's just above and right of my helmet. Hard to see. I'd heard of how they eat rubber so I was worried he'd run off with one of my gloves.

Kevin getting near the pass

The town of Ophir in the distance

Even the cabs are four wheel drive. We were going to eat at Grumpy's but it was closed.

More later...
John
Old 08-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #21
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
You're gonna stomp that foot a little more when you hear that we didn't take a single waitress shot You shoulda been there to keep us in line

John

Sourjon screwed with this post 08-14-2013 at 02:08 PM
Sourjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #22
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
You're gonna stopm that foot a little more when you hear that we didn't take a single waitress shot You shoulda been there to keep us in line

John
I did hate to miss it.
If you get us a good route out West next fall, I'll forgive the little transgression of the no Waitress shots!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #23
Sourjon
TAT'erd

I really don't have good pics to add to the Alpine Loop day. Especially my stupid crash. I was last to leave the top after we geared up for the inevitable rain and I got behind a parade of jeeps. It was pouring and I was too close to them and looking off to my right at the valley floor. Never saw the rock that took me down until I was wondering what the hell happened. Bars jerked to the right real hard and over I went. BAM! The Jeepers totally ignored me as I floundered around and gathered my stuff up and stood the bike up in the rain. They probably had a good laugh at the stupid biker covered in dirt and rain. Busted the windshield so now I have a second one to put up on the wall in the garage. My tool tube has been pretty bullet proof and I'd been bragging to Kevin that it was four years old or so.

As Bill Murray said in Stripes: "BLOWN UP SIR!!" Oh well I have more pipe.

It was cold and windy on Engineer

Next: boiling brake fluid...
John
Old 08-15-2013, 03:31 AM   #24
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,718
Boiling brake fluid!!
Please continue...
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #25
MaverickChick
I do my own stunts.

Oddometer: 462
Engineers' a real dick!

Thanks for the report!
Old 08-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #26
toondebt11 OP
ADVRIDERKEVIN

Oddometer: 331
Weds. Ride

We woke up Wednesday (at 5:30 for Coffee) to a cold slow rain.

We had hoped to ride Blackbear today. Unfortunately, we got to sit on the cabins porch, mull over maps, try (unsuccessfully) to download pictures on the campgrounds (highspeed) internet, and watch the weather map spoil our fun. Around luchtime, we decided to walk up to the brown bear cafe for lunch. On the way, we heard the whistle from the Durango-Silverton narrow gauge train. It was pulling into town. I had not ever seen such a train up close, so we wandered over to the station.
The train tracks are in the middle of the street and level with the pavement. It appears as if the train is driving up the street! Altho it was cold and rainy, it was really cool to watch!

I B A # 42258
toondebt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #27
toondebt11 OP
ADVRIDERKEVIN

Rainy Weds

Links to the Train video...

http://s484.photobucket.com/user/too...31168051275543

http://s484.photobucket.com/user/too...73449070161986
I B A # 42258
Old 08-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #28
toondebt11 OP
ADVRIDERKEVIN

More rainy Weds.

After watching the train for awhile, we realized where all of the peaple on the train were heading....To the restaurants .
So we high tailed it over to main street and found a table at a BBQ place. We had a nice long lunch and the weather began to clear.
By the time we got back to the rv campground, the sun was out and looked like we would have a few nice hours. John and I had been looking at the road that went up the mountain behind the town. Gene said that it just dead ended up the hill (a ways). So up the mountain we go!!

We stop just a little ways up to watch the train pull out of town...

Then we continue up (a little ways)....

After going UP, UP,UP,UP, and UP over some steep, rocky climbs, We stop a jeep coming down and ask just were this leads. He said it goes up beyound the treeline and then higher. He turned around when it got to narrow. Sounds good to us!!
So up we go!!

We stop to check out the entrance to this old mine. The inside was covered in ice..

A fellow biker who had pulled up said he has seen this cave full to the top with ice.
2 younger men who were riding with him had just returned from higher on the mountain. They said that there was a great veiw of Silverton from the top.
Yes there was!!

It was a great veiw of the Million Dollar highway and the surounding area.

After a few pics, John and I head back down. The weather was starting to look bad, and it was quite a long, steep rocky way down...
I take the lead. after awhile I don't see John behind me. I pull over and explore this old rail car that has been long abandoned on the hillside. How it got their? who knows.
After about 10 minutes, John comes rolling down. His back brake rotor is purple!! WTF!!??

I'll Let him tell it from here...I have some Mexican food and drink to tend to...
I B A # 42258
Old 08-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #29
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,406
sweet.

you guys get up at 5:30am while on tour?
geez either you're puritans or don't drink enough the night before while on vaca.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #30
Sourjon
TAT'erd

The train was too cool pulling right down the street in the rain and coming to a stop. Steam everywhere

The conductor went along and put his hand on each bearing or connector to feel if any were hot from the trip. This Locomotive was built in 1925 and still in service

As Kevin said we took off up the closest road we hadn't ridden to get a look at the town and train from above. It was a pretty view looking down at Silverton nestled in the valley. We thought the road went a quarter mile or so to a water tower or comm tower or such so we didn't take water or much else. Buit it turned out to be six miles of some pretty rough, loose and steep climb. The road went past the ice cave and got real loose. Kevin did it with ease and I tried it in second gear. Well when I needed first I found neutral. WOOPS! When I did get first it spun the rear tire and went sideways and I dropped it. Downhill. Across the so called road. By the time I picked it up I was out of air and thirsty.

If you look at Kevin's pic you can see the rut I dug on the left and where I was crabbing around getting it upright

See that little pig trail on the mountainside behind and above my bike? That's where Kevin went to get that fantastic shot of Silverton.

Here's another shot from where I dropped it

And here's Kevin going where a couple KTM 250 riders had told him "naw it's not bad"

Going over the top

I entertained myself by trying not to pass out and by throwing rocks at the whistle pigs until Kevin came back.

He never budged

All week I had a problem with the bike idling right. It has a remote idle adjustment which is a big knurled nut on the end of a cable that turns the screw on the carb. I'd been turning it up and up trying to get it where it would idle. On the way back down the hill I was going along using engine braking and it started to get faster and faster. Finally it was reving I would guess in the 2500 rpm range. On a steep, rocky and loose downhill! As I realized what was going on I was trying to slow down any way I could and I overheated the rear brake just as I finally got my thumb over to the kill switch. CRAP! Got it into second with the key off and with the front brake got slowed down the two miles or so down to Kevin. I had no tools since we were only going to a dead end but Kevin did and we turned it down, let the brake cool and come back and descended to town with out further incident.

Andy we had been talking about you and coasting while up at the top and whether or not the transmission is oiled and then this. I think somebody was messing with my head Really I think the screw that holds the wheel on the carb was sticking and not turning and the cable was twisting and it chose a bad place to finally adjust itself. It was only twelve miles round trip but we had one heck of a ride on a rainy day

John